Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dego - Co-op Action RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 22:35
Wow, very professional! Nice job! Reminds me of the past when I had an SNES.

TheComet

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 02:40
Quote: "I had an SNES."

HA! I still have mine.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 16:37
Quote: "HA! I still have mine. "

Yes, but the question remains : Does it WORK?

TheComet

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 17:00 Edited at: 10th Apr 2010 17:01
Can't wait to play the full version of Dego, the demo was already really fun!

Quote: "Yes, but the question remains : Does it WORK?"

Mine's still working like a charm (have to play through Secret of Mana again, it's been way to long since I last played it ).

-Doomster

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 20:36
Quote: "Yes, but the question remains : Does it WORK?"

Yup..............Ok, the 2 Controler port doesnt work but.......yeah.

Quote: "have to play through Secret of Mana again"

Best Game everrrrrrr!!!! Have you played 2? (also on SNES and a.k.a Seiken Densetsu 3) I got an actual import since they didnt release it here in the Usa......

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad you had fun razerx!

Quote: "The only big problem we ran into was that melee was underpowered. Mages and range can sit back and dodge attacks easily doing the same damage as melee. Melee has to stand right next to the enemy and can't see if the enemy is going to throw a boulder at him."

In the full version, melee characters have an inherent damage and defense buff to make up for the harder dodging, and the weapon ranges have been increased to make it easier to hit multiple enemies with melee.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 22:05
OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! * Bounces uncontrolably in seat * I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 00:24
This game is so awesome, can't wait to try it out with Xbox controllers with friends once I get home from college. It was pretty fun even in single player, so definitely excited to try out multiplayer, and see the final release!

Check out this WIP flash game from the Global Game Jam!
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I should point out BearCDP that only the final version has built-in support for multiple controllers. The demo only works with one.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 02:31
Has any more progress been made toward the final release, Jimpo?

The one and only,

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I work on this game nearly everyday of the week. It's just that all I've been working on lately is new items, quests, and tons of testing. Not much to post about.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 23:48
items and quests sound like things to post about.

I would be interested to know the number of quests you currently have.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2010 05:56
Quote: "I should point out BearCDP that only the final version has built-in support for multiple controllers. The demo only works with one.
"

Ah weel. We'll make it work with Joy2key!

Check out this WIP flash game from the Global Game Jam!
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2010 06:00
Quote: "items and quests sound like things to post about."

Same here, I'd love to know how's it going.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 04:40
Yup, any small thing will keep us on the edge of our seats till release.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I would be interested to know the number of quests you currently have."

There's about 17 quests right now. Each dungeon has 1 or 2 quests, the better rewarding ones being more hidden.

Following Bizar Guy's advice, here is the latest update from the game's blog:

Quest Spotlight: The Lost Sword

This shady, villain-like man asks you to pick up his lost sword, but refuses to explain why he is too afraid to do it himself.

The task seems simple enough. The sword is resting on the ground, surrounded by four inanimate stone statues. I bet nothing bad will happen when you pick it up.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2010 02:37
I'm stealing the sword .

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2010 05:44
Thanks!

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 00:51
17 quests...............*mouth waters*......

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Item Spotlight: Fire Sword

This unique burning sword can shoot a powerful fireball attack. When a hero picks up this weapon, they have the versatility of switching between melee and range attacks at a moments notice. And being a sword covered in flames, it naturally has a chance of setting enemies on fire with each attack. No merchant can get a hold of one of these elusive blades, but treasure hunters say you might be able to spot one in the Catacombs.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 22nd May 2010 06:57
Quote: "a sword covered in flames"

it's a beautiful thing

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 21:54
looks and sounds awesome.

I really think you should change the HUD though. Even if all you do is re-color it to not be screen-of-death blue. Maybe a more faded color? I don't know, but I find it distracting

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2010 00:09
I like the blue but a customizable setting would be cool.

Sorry, but if I agreed with you then we'd both be wrong.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2010 01:04
Sounds awsome, the fire sword......the blue's fine to me. but if you had to recolor, I'd say a (very)dark greenish color with a fade.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2010 06:43 Edited at: 23rd May 2010 06:44
Eh. Maybe it's just me

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2010 18:31
Quote: "Eh. Maybe it's just me "

Just a joke, but.......................maybe you get the blue screen of death too much??? LOL. jk,jk.....

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I might go through and make all the hud images greyscale and let the user change the color, but that is low on the todo list right now.

Quest Spotlight: The Maestro

This is more of a minigame than a quest. The Maestro is a master composer known throughout the land, and lucky for you, he is willing to offer his services. He is willing to train anyone interested in music.

There are seven notes on the floor. The Maestro will play the middle note for reference, followed by a random note. Players must choose the right note to gain a point; choose wrong and you lose. Once you earn ten points, the party wins a reward, and the highest scoring player wins a bonus.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 05:04
I love you and I love your game.
There, I said it.

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 22:23
Quote: "This is more of a minigame"

GENIUS!

Don't be afraid to add some more in there.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the compliments guys
There's two score based minigames, but I want to try and add more to make use of the script commands I had to program for it.

Item Spotlight: Bomb

This weapon was suggested by Dawnbomb on the official blog, and I thought it was a really neat idea so I made sure to include it. Instead of a direct attack, the special attack of this item sets down a bomb. It counts down from 3, then blows up, damaging anything nearby. Even players suffer damage from the bomb, so make sure to stand back! This weapon is very useful for clumping monsters together and hitting them all at once. The bomb is quite special and can only be bought from an in-dungeon merchant.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2010 18:26
Sorry to Hear of your hard drive, Jimpo. (Read about it on the blog) That sucks,dude. But hey, dont give up hope. You've still got 2 continues. Lol, just kidding.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
The first thing I thought of when my hard drive died was the latest Dego build and how to save that data!

Here's the newest blog update, which I thought was way too important not to post here.
Final Status Update
I've got all the hard drive issues sorted out, and I'm back to work with a bold claim, the final status update! I've worked the better part of this week, and finished up a good chunk of the endgame content. Now the to-do list has come down to 1-2 more quests, last set of items, and any final tweaks/bug fixes.

I'm really excited to soon be able to call this game complete. When I first came up with the plan for Dego, I wanted to finish development in a year, but now it's been 20 months! I'd like the thank everyone who has been following this project. I appreciate all the comments, feedback, suggestions, and most of all, stories of people's adventures in the game. It has taken longer than expected, but I want to remind everyone that this is a full length game with 30-40 hours of gameplay per character, and I want to release a final product that I believe is worth the wait.

On a side note, I'm really satisfied, almost surprised, with how well the character development turned out, considering a player can only equip three items. With each new tier of equipment, the game introduces new effects and passive abilities, and by the time you make the jump to endgame items, there is a huge variety of combos. Between dungeons, you can completely change how your character plays. I'm constantly trying to find new, horribly overpowered combos to make sure everything is properly balanced. I've found a theoretical combo that, with careful execution, can make a thief character permanently invincible. I already have 2/3 of the items needed; I just need to get a hold of an extremely rare item to make it happen. Still thinking of how to balance this one!

Here's a summary of some of the major changes made since that ancient demo I released, so long ago:
Melee characters have inherent damage and defense boosts, plus a much larger attack radius. This helps them keep up with range and magic users, who have an easier time dodging. Some enemies will screw over melee characters, but be easy for ranged attackers, while other enemies will be a nightmare for magic users, but easily fall to melee weapons. This makes for better multiplayer, with each person having a more specialized role.

Immediately threatening conditions like shock, freeze, and confuse are clear and obvious to spot. When you are frozen, your character in physically covered in ice. Trying to quickly move back and forth will crack the ice, causing it to shatter and free the player trapped inside. Confusion now reverses your controls, instead of randomly switching them. This lets skilled, experienced players be able to guide their character even while suffering from confusion.

Content wise, the game is leaps and bounds from the demo. There are 28 dungeons, including hard mode, and over 400 items. Plus, there are quests all over offering unique monsters to fight and exclusive items to find. Each dungeons has hidden rooms stacked with treasure, mysterious NPCs who may join you or sell exclusive items, and a secret room with alternate, rare versions of monsters.

Players can use their skills faster. You get more SP per attack, more SP when damaged, more SP while fighting bosses, and everyone has a natural SP regen. This ups the pace of the game and makes combat more strategic, putting a bigger impact on your class and the diversity of your party members.

The story is much fuller and has a proper resolution. There are a much larger number of NPCs, with each adding a personal insight into the world's conflict with the horrific Malice King. And with more dungeons to travel, there are several main, reoccurring characters who go dungeon hopping with you. The tale is still pieced together by the player based on who she meets in the randomly setup dungeons, but there are now a few forced cutscenes towards the end. Of course these are skip-able, for the adventuring party that has fought that boss a hundred times.

All this text and no mention of a release date? For that I say, sometime soon.

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 10:34
I love you.

*hugs*

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 04:37
This is awesome you've have surpassed my game dream. Just will have to make mine better. (not soon lol)

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 16:16
I cant belive it................28 quests?!?! 400 items?! Sike no, I cant belive how far this has come. I still remember playing the first combat demo!!!!! This is definatly a "WAY TO F*****G GO JIMPO! " lol. dude, this will make tgc jump with a release in the P.A Board.....

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the support! I'm currently putting together a boss rush kinda thing. You fight three randomly selected, boss-like enemies in a row. Each one drops its own unique and relevant items. It's just another way to get final tier items besides opening treasure chests.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 15:56
Sounds interestting. Asuming I can still use my Paladin, His sword is iching for blood(and meat!)

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2010 06:15
Whee!

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 08:13
i love this so much

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Asuming I can still use my Paladin, His sword is iching for blood(and meat!)"

All the classes are still there with just a few minor rebalances. The biggest change is the Thief, who has a new skill that gives him rapid attack speed.

Quest Spotlight: The Depths of the World and the Forgotten Scroll

While traveling through the deepest dungeon, you may discover a wounded mage struggling to move on and asking for your help. The setup for this quest is simple, buried deep underground is the tomb of a legendary mage, and buried with him is a forgotten spell scroll. The quest giver is too weak to move on, and asks you to venture into the tomb and retrieve the scroll for him.

The challenges you have to face in this quest change with the random layout of the dungeon. The screenshot shows off a scenario where you must traverse a deadly obstacle course to reach the inner tomb area where the spell scroll is kept.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 01:14 Edited at: 9th Aug 2010 01:14
I'm finally finished with Dego! Or at least 99.9% finished. I'm going to make as many final tweaks and item additions as I can this week, and release the finished game on Friday.

Watch the Trailer!

Also, check out the game's blog. I'm going to be posting an article up each day covering some of the changes and improvements made since the demo. http://degorpg.blogspot.com/

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 01:16
Aw yeah!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 02:25
Looking good. Someone's actually going to finish a game in DBP? WTF?
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a heads up, I've posted some articles on the blog talking about some of the new features like the unlock shop and battle arena. I'm just doing the final testing right now and everything is on track to compile and upload tomorrow!

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
My god it has been a long day! Thanks for all the support, bug catches, and suggestions throughout the development process. Dego has finally moved over to Program Anouncements - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=174150&b=5

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 05:05
Awesome, wish i could try it fully but on vacation. Thanks for putting me in credits. You did what few can do... finish lol. GREAT JOB

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats on finishing! You've inspired to do the same as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:48:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:48:58