Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit V108 Beta 8 - Over 200 New Commands

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2012 10:00 Edited at: 12th Oct 2012 10:00
Quote: "AGK/IDE/Compiler/interpreters

right-click Windows.exe and "unblock""

That seems to work, I hate window's "security"...

This is what windows said about the file
Quote: "This program is from another computer and has been blocked"
Yes. That will help.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I wouldn't mind leaping over gaps, but it's near to impossible to make a T2 template for Windows, so I cannot test out 108 right now
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2012 12:26
The 3d commands seem to work realy well from what I have seen. But it I could use a scaling command... I can't seem to find one.
Brother
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Lee,

Personnaly I am ready to leap over these monstrous gaps. And if my
graphic card doesnt support OpenGL over 1.4, there is still
the solution to use...broadcasting !

Like this the team will not have to go back to OpenGL 1.

AGK is an inovative product for a lot of point so imho we must follow the evolution and be at state-of-art.

Best regards
Brother

I am not english so xcuse my syntax, grammary or anything else wich could occure some ununderstanding
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I would wait with the pre ogl 2.0 problem on Windows8.

We have to see if graphics card manufacturers like nvida and intel will have updated drivers available. if they do, then standard windows8 is set to automatically install updates so most users will get the new drivers without even knowing!!!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Or make a new Check for OGL version command so that we can output a message
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2012 17:04
Lee, I appreciate your enthusiasm and I can be patient waiting for the next release.

The biggest issue for me is not having the right libraries or headers available to build Tier 2 stuff. I was able to get an iOS Tier 2 template working and built an iOS Player. But the Windows setup is still missing stuff. I was able to finally compile but the link showed over a hundred missing things, so it was a library issue.

I'm at the level building stage for what will be my first attempt at publishing a game and AppGameKit (v1076) is the only reason that was possible. I am working in Tier 2 for this project (started in Tier 1 and then just wanted access to lists and OOP and such).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2012 01:37 Edited at: 13th Oct 2012 01:38
Got this extracting the files:

Quote: "Error 0x80010135:path too long
UserInterface.xcuserstate
type:XCUSERSTATE file"

I get this will all examples:
Quote: "Failed to load OpenGL extension glGenerateMipmap"

It crashes after displaying this in the 3D example.

Running Windows Vista, ATI Radeon

I will install earlier version, although need some of the new commands for ultra-book compo.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Matty,

The "path too long" error will happen if the ZIP file is being extracted to a deeply nested folder where the character limit of what's being extracted exceeds 255. I'd recommend extracting the ZIP to your root directory (e.g., C:\AGK\) if the error still comes up when extracting try moving the ZIP itself to your main C:\.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Oct 2012 03:39
Quote: "
In order to stay relevant (and to edge our bets), we are offering solutions for both approaches and by keeping the language, technology and ethos the same, the transition from one to the other will be smooth and natural.
"

Did I read this wrong or are you eventually forcing us into cloud based development?

Or did you mean from AppGameKit to FDE name wise?

If the former... I think I shall leave AppGameKit / FDE alone... and walk away... I will always want a desktop environment, as being completely cloud based; ensures a company does not fully understand the demographics of its toolset...

I am truly concerned here... please clarify Lee, thanks!

[ I hope I misinterpreted that section of his blog post ]

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2012 09:45
Quote: "I get this will all examples:
Quote: "Failed to load OpenGL extension glGenerateMipmap"
It crashes after displaying this in the 3D example.

Running Windows Vista, ATI Radeon"

I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but have you checked for graphics card driver updates? This worked for me when I got the same error.

---

I'm enjoying being on the bleeding edge of technology, alpha releases are okay with me

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2012 12:01 Edited at: 13th Oct 2012 12:02
I tried to build an android player to test the 3d commands on android, but eclipse gives me 5 errors that I have no idea how to fix. Can someone help me?

This is the errors im getting

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2012 14:59
Windows is not registering any screen touches as either touches, or mouse presses/releases/states, in pointer, touch or raw mouse commands

Here's some code to illustrate:

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2012 15:26 Edited at: 13th Oct 2012 15:27
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2012 15:46 Edited at: 13th Oct 2012 15:46
Quote: "The "path too long" error will happen if the ZIP file is being extracted to a deeply nested folder where the character limit of what's being extracted exceeds 255. I'd recommend extracting the ZIP to your root directory (e.g., C:\AGK\) if the error still comes up when extracting try moving the ZIP itself to your main C:\."

Thanks, that makes sense, I shall try it.

Quote: "I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but have you checked for graphics card driver updates? This worked for me when I got the same error."

I checked the drivers a few weeks back when I had a particles issue, I will check again since that worked for you, thanks.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Windows is not registering any screen touches as either touches, or mouse presses/releases/states, in pointer, touch or raw mouse commands"

Is that in Windows 8? Code works fine for me in Windows 7 x64
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Windows is not registering any screen touches as either touches, or mouse presses/releases/states, in pointer, touch or raw mouse commands"

BatVink is it possible to get the X & Y pointer position when the player touches the screen on a windows8 touchscreen?

Right now this seems to be only possible if the player double taps the touchscreen, which is kind of a mouseclick emulation, which is a bit irritating.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 14:46
Quote: "BatVink is it possible to get the X & Y pointer position when the player touches the screen on a windows8 touchscreen?

Right now this seems to be only possible if the player double taps the touchscreen, which is kind of a mouseclick emulation, which is a bit irritating."

I have a workaround in place. Firstly I need to know from the user if they are using a touchscreen device. I do this by prompting them to show a mouse cursor or switch it off, based on their device.

If the mouse cursor is off, I then detect mouse movements, which can only be done when the user lifts their finger back off the screen. This signifies a click, if the mouse only moved from one coordinate to another coordinate, with no other movement in between. If I see multiple coordinates, I pass control back to my swipe routine.

I now see why there is this 10-pixel buffer before the movement is registered; it is so that a click can be registered where the user has moved very slightly, but not enough to warrant a swipe. However, this causes mayhem due to the fact that mouse moves of < 10 pixels only register after unclicking and no other mouse events register at all.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
sounds a bit too complicated.
However how can you detect that the player lifted the finger from the screen? The Raw commands seems to work only on iOS and Android, not on windows.
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 16:14 Edited at: 14th Oct 2012 16:16
Quote: "Firstly I need to know from the user if they are using a touchscreen device."

Before asking the user, you could do a couple of checks.

1) if GetMultiTouchExists() is true then it's touchscreen
2) if GetMouseExists() is false, then it's touchscreen

Now you only need seek user input for single touch devices that also have a mouse.

Quote: "I now see why there is this 10-pixel buffer before the movement is registered"

Is this a Windows 8 thing?

I have never encountered this and currently filter small movements in my pointer click routines.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 16:34
Quote: "Before asking the user, you could do a couple of checks.

1) if GetMultiTouchExists() is true then it's touchscreen
2) if GetMouseExists() is false, then it's touchscreen"

On Windows with touchscreen this returns No to Multitouch, yes to Mouse

The 10-pixel phenomena has also been reported by Ancient Lady and others on Windows 7.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 17:34
Downloading it too!!!
It's time to test.

Long life to Steve!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 17:35
hopefully its known....but player service is broken on this beta release for the blackberry playbook.

It basicaly loads....then resets and loads...and infinate loop till you manualy kill it.

Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
I've always been keen to see multitouch on windows and have been pestering the team since the start of AppGameKit (and DBP days) for multitouch support as I've had a multi touch monitor and windows tablet for a good while now. I too read mouse movements and used that to gauge how the touch screen is being used. It's odd but most applications have difficulty with reading a windows touch screen and a lot of them you have to touch and drag slightly for them to acknowledge the screen had been pressed. I guess with windows 8 there'll be more touch screens around now. I have vaguely tinkered with multi touch on iOs but have yet to understand how it works totally as I think you could make a really cool interface as on screen buttons are becoming dated now with different control techniques.

I'd also like to see bluetooth keyboard support for iOs (if it's not there already somehow) as I think it'd be cool to make games that support this (or bluetooth gamepads perhaps). This bridges the command set and makes an app feel more universal and I think having bluetooth keyboard support would be an amazing resource for testing too.

I'm very much looking forward to Alpha / Beta / 3 and I hope there's a draw distance command added to the 3D set of commands. I also look forward to the time you can load in a textured object as one texture per model might be tricky especially for larger levels and I'd imagine most people have an object tree with many textures. I know all this will come in time and will be great.

I'd still like to see a way of reading pixel info on an image (or texture) which in my mind would help with 2d and 3D as you could make levels and read plane graphic info etc. Plus in theory you'd be able to read pixels on a mode 7 plane making non tiled collision much more possible.

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2012 03:28 Edited at: 15th Oct 2012 03:29
The Zoq 2

Quote: "I tried to build an android player to test the 3d commands on android, but eclipse gives me 5 errors that I have no idea how to fix. Can someone help me?

This is the errors im getting :

"

You can download the jar from here :

https://developers.google.com/mobile-ads-sdk/download

For configChanges errors, remove the last two ones (screensize and smallestScreenSize),

For the theme transparent, replace it by Theme.Translucent.

I have "fixed" the exactly same errors and achieved to compile the android player with success (and 3D is a real happiness ) .. Don't forget to recompile the libs with ndk-build and to update the android SDK by the manager...
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
MikeMax, would you be able to post the compiled player here for those who don't don't have all the Android build tools setup and configured?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Pawprints, are you able to detect a single touch press on windows touchscreen or tablet?

I can only detect a double tap using GetPointerPressed, which is not ideal
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2012 17:15
@batvink: any chance you could chase this 10px issue up for fixing? im on holiday at the moment and it would be great to get it sorted in the 108 release

Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
To be honest it's a while since I tried as I'm focusing on iOs at the moment and I mostly sit on my mac using a different monitor. For anyone using a mac with virtualisation I really recommend bumping up your mac memory as much as possible as it seems to make quite a difference (I've just shoved 16gb in this one!)

(I was more enthusiastic when I first got my monitor and windows tablet and AGK). For now though if you can't detect a single tap just detect if your finger has moved and experiment a little with distances etc. When I get chance I'll test again but I'm sure it won't be long until windows and touch becomes more popular and more devices exist.

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 20:05
Quote: "MikeMax, would you be able to post the compiled player here for those who don't don't have all the Android build tools setup and configured?"

AGKPlayer1082b.apk Attached (exported from my phone so tell me if it doesn't work i will create a proper Apk from Eclipse when i will be back to home)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Brother
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you MikeMax,

Thanks to you I've seen the demo 3D from AppGameKit v1.082.
(even with a graphic card wich doesn't support OpenGL 2.0)

With the broadcasting and your APK i was able to see it run on my Android device.

Despite the number of FPS fluctuates, it is a very promising demonstration.

Bravo!

I am not english so xcuse my syntax, grammary or anything else wich could occure some ununderstanding
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately, I tried running my existing project through this newer version and it failed. The game compiled for about 20 seconds(as opposed to under 5), then came up with a black screen and the text I print with the print command.

swis
Interstellar
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2012 22:51
Make sure to delete the following files and try compiling again:
<yourproj>.exe
media\<yourproj>.byc
media\SourceCode.byc
media\SourceCode.txt

Deleting these files has absolutely no affect on your project, other to encourage it to truly recompile when you tell it to.

The IDE/compiler sometimes don't actually compile when you tell it to. There are some funny things that happen with time stamps and it doesn't always recreate the two SourceCode files. Those are created based on your source .agc files in your project and then they are used to actually compile to the byte code file.

It is not impossible that the v1082 IDE didn't redo something or replace the <yourproj>.exe file. That file is actually not created when you compile, it is copied from a pre-built Windows file that simply plays the compiled byte code file.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2012 23:07
Quote: "There are some funny things that happen with time stamps and it doesn't always recreate the two SourceCode files"

I'm glad you've mentioned this. I seem to have a similar problem and it's due to Win8 not synching with Internet Time. I had 2 machines sharing a folder through DropBox and they were 3 minutes apart, it played havok with code::blocks.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2012 23:38
It is a basic issue with the IDE/compiler combination.

The IDE needs a 'clean' button to do the deletes.

I just posted this issue as a confirmed bug and/or enhancement request.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Make sure to delete the following files and try compiling again:"

Unfortunately, it didn't make a difference. I get the same result.

swis
Interstellar
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 00:01
Delete the byc file in the media folder too. This fixes it for me.

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 20:12
Sorry, just posted a problem with an error on the AppGameKit IOS forum, instead of here.
Please mod, move it here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200905&b=44

May the 3d force B with U
Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 22:34
Is ShowImageCaptureScreen( ) been fixed in the 108 on Android ? Any News ? ( http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200100&b=46 )

Thanks !

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 22:43
1.08 beta completely unusable for me (HP Laptop with Windows XP).
- A lot of OpenGL errors at application start-up. I suppose that my graphics adapter does not support OpenGL 2.0 I cannot update the Intel chipset driver because the HP sites keeps only the older one.
- some statements like :

gives syntax error.
I immediatly removed the files and keep only the zip.
I cannot buy a new PC only to run AGK. Is there a way to have an AppGameKit compatible with older PCs?
Brother
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi MarcoBruti,

I am in a similar configuration as you and i encounter
exactly the same problems.

A temporary solution is to use the AppGameKit Player MikeMax made.

You uninstall the older version of AppGameKit Player on your Android
device before installing the new one.

After what you can test AppGameKit 1.08 with broadcasting.

Concerning AppGameKit compatibility with older PCs i think we are only 2
people with this compatibility problem so i dont think AGK
developpement team is going to make a special version for us 2...

And like you i am not going to buy a new laptop computer,
i would loose compatibility with a lot of stuff i use because
new windows version (vista, 7, 8...) are not compatible and it's
not easy to regress and buy a windows xp license actually to
install it on a new laptop.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 23:30
Quote: "You uninstall the older version of AppGameKit Player on your Android"

Or you could install both the v1076 and the v1082 Android Players. See this post.

TGC is considering going back down to OpenGL 1 because more than just us developers are affected. Anyone trying to run an AppGameKit app on a device that doesn't support OpenGL 2 will have a problem. I don't know if they've made a final decision (I don't work for them, I'm just a volunteer).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Brother
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Ancient Lady,

That's what i call Excellent News !!!

Thank you a lot.

Best regards

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 00:08
I see a new file in My Products dated 19th October

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Delete the byc file in the media folder too. This fixes it for me."

I cleared the media folder entirely of anything that wasn't my media. Interestingly, 108 doesn't create a SourceCode.agc file while 107 does. (but it does generate a SourceCode.txt)

swis
Interstellar
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 00:20 Edited at: 20th Oct 2012 10:05
i checked the new update, but all files are identical to beta 2.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Seems the new version didn't have any impact on the problem either. I'm stumped

swis
Interstellar
Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like all date stamps in the AppGameKit product section have changed into today... May be some server thing and not really an update...!?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 00:59 Edited at: 20th Oct 2012 01:09
I don't think it's a new update and it's just a server thing. The link for the AppGameKit Beta on the products page is the exact same one I downloaded from a week ago; and Lee hasn't said anything.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 02:43
Quote: "Is ShowImageCaptureScreen( ) been fixed in the 108 on Android ? Any News ? ( http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200100&b=46 )
"

I don't think so. On my Android phone, the camera starts up, and I can take a picture, but then AppGameKit Player just sits there with a black screen, never getting the image.

And the choose image example crashes the player on both my Android phone and my Kindle Fire.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:50:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:50:07