Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Black Ice Mod Official Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know that this is not the right place to ask, but in the past when I have downloaded updates for FPSC x9, it wouldn't load, it would say that I need to disable my UAC. I did that and it still wouldn't load, and to make it worse I could install an older version of x9 and have it work, I had to reset my computer completely. I want to try this out but I don't want to loose access to FPSC x9 on my computer. Is it possible to have multiple versions of x9 installed on one computer?
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2018 22:03
I have fpsc vanilla installed in my programx86 folder like it should be. Then i made a folder called darkice mod and just installed to that folder. Both run fine.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok thanks! Looks like I'll be getting BIM soon.
xlghostlx
Years of Service
User Offline
is possible to import GameGuru Shaders in FPSC? (I wanted to port the new enhanced weapon pack but without shader is hard)
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
I made a short game with BIM, and everything worked out fine for the first level, but after that every level had all static objects and segments turn black with a little white on them. I'll upload screenshots when I get home but has anyone else had this problem?
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a screen shot (screenshot1) In it, the segments are the London/Rooms/3 Bloody and ww2/scenery/door_g (that's the brown texture on the left.) The big cube is the scifi wooden crate (static) and the object in the back is a bed from the ww2 section (I think it's bed D.) I should note that I do not have full shaders on, lightmapping is set to medium and graphics are set to low (x4 reduction.) Anyone know what the problem is? The second screenshot (screenshot2) is of the first level with the same segements.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kubik
Years of Service
User Offline
G-day folks,
is there a chance of adding multiplayer support? I really appreciate the features of this mod and I would love to see them implemented in the multiplayer part of the game. Is there a chance or is it just a pure dream?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2018 11:42
@ TMoney Moterbike Sorry it took so long to answer. That first screenshot is "most likely" a missing or incorrect shader applied
to your segments and/or entities. I have this happen also from time to time when I apply a dynamic shader to a static entity
Double check your shaders and see if you find problems ?
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
@ncmako ok thanks fo the reply even I felt it was late. I'll try that asap. One thing I tried to do to fix the game was copy every segment, texture, mesh, etc. That was in the exicuted game from the engine but that didn't work. Now I can live with the textures looking like that for segments but not entities so I'll try what you said asap.
Kuryle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2019 12:42
A lot of mods have been created to improve the graphics, efficiency, as well as the one, for which I admire the community.

Personally, I wonder if there will be some improvement in the editor in the future ? For example, blocking objects that cannot be moved by accident. Object inspector to manage it more easily. And better 3d space when editing etc.?

If new versions of this modification are developed, is the author considering going this way ? I realize that adding new things in the FPSC code is not an easy task.
It would be nice to use this program to create games, but I can't sleep because of some irritating bugs in vanilla , and limitations as well... ( for example. physically based shaders from Uzi doesnt work in my fpsc with black ice mod in testmode )
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Jan 2019 16:24
@Kuryle
Was the editor source released? I'm not sure. It it was, I'm sure our awesome guys at BIM can make improvements.

@TMoney Moterbike
I'm not sure that English is your first language so I may be off here, but if you're commenting on the timeliness of answers on this forum (FPS Creator), understand that 90+ percent of the users are gone, and ncmaco is one of the few left who care enough to help us. He and those at BIM are keeping us going.

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2019 22:37
I think the editor source was released, but you need an expensive editor to compile it.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2019 10:35
I don't think I have set this yet: this mod is remarkably fine work.

-Wolf
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2019 16:58
Quote: "Is it possible to get dynamic models receive their SurfColor from reading the colour of the lightmap below them?"

Possibly but I'm not sure how to do this. I think Lee did something in GG where entities get lit from above by reading the skybox texture to improve ambient lighting so that would be a reasonable starting point

Quote: "is possible to import GameGuru Shaders in FPSC? (I wanted to port the new enhanced weapon pack but without shader is hard)"

It depends if the shader requires any information from the main engine which is new or different from FPSC. If so the engine would need to be updated for those dependencies
Its possible that a GG weapon shader may transfer successfully to FPSC but I'm not sure if the PBR version will work so you may need to try a pre-PBR shader
I asked Lee if I could get a copy of the GG source code before they moved from DBPro to C++ but he no longer has it

Quote: "is there a chance of adding multiplayer support? I really appreciate the features of this mod and I would love to see them implemented in the multiplayer part of the game. Is there a chance or is it just a pure dream?"

I had an agreement to add lemur mod multiplayer support into Black Ice but it fell through when the paid version of lemur did not take off so its just a dream for now

Quote: "If new versions of this modification are developed, is the author considering going this way ? I realize that adding new things in the FPSC code is not an easy task."

We don't have any plans to update the editor at the moment. There are 2 parts which is the editor interface built using visual studio and map editor built using DBPro
We did some changes like making the map editor full resolution and adding a more useful help commands (F1) but nothing heavy duty

Quote: "I think the editor source was released, but you need an expensive editor to compile it."

I managed to get the main FPSC interface to compile in visual studio but its a ton of code and a project all by itself
The map editor source is available in the FPSC Dev Kit I released last year https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221700

@TMoney Moterbike Dude - Ncmako is right. You just need to find the type of segment / entity you want to use from Black Ice then set it up with the same shader and texture configuration
@Wolf - Thanks for the kind words

Happy New Year everyone (a little late I know!)
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2019 00:23 Edited at: 14th Jan 2019 00:25
Sorry for the late reply, I figured it out. The bug appears when you don't have the lighting set to full, for some
Reason. Unfortunately the game will crash repeatedly on loading screens, which is annoying as heck but at least I got the stuff working. Hopefully I'll be able to make a game off of BIM.
Xplosys, I actually am a native English speaker, I just didn't know how to word what I was saying or something.
igetit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2019 16:21
Hey Guys

Just wanted to say to the die hard FPS people, thanks for sticking around. The Black Ice Mod is awesome and I hope I can make something cool with it soon!
5wee†
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2019 21:20
I want to write to and thank the BIM developers for their excellent work. I am making a game now and it would not be possible without your's contribution
Thank a lot

Year 2019. FPSC community is breathing heavily but still alive

and below are my humble works

Attachments

igetit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2019 16:58
Great Work, 5wee†!!
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
5wee† looks good!
Logo by The Next
igetit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2019 15:19
Do you guys know if it is possible to create an outdoor type map? Looking to have a lake, beach, trees etc.

Thanks!
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2019 23:21
Within reason yes. There are plenty of good examples for FPSC outdoor maps but due to the map size limitations they need to be carefully planned and designed.

Checkout the model pack section of the website for lots of outdoor themed assets. There is a link for the pack descriptions.
http://www.blackicemod.org/download.html
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2019 22:37
@ S4Real & Nomad Soul Are you making by chance one more update before calling it a day?
If so, I have one request. If not, no problem, I'll figure a work around
best,
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey I have another problem. Whenever I have my character get shot or use a scope on a weapon, the hud doesn't cover the whole screen. Any idea of how to fix it?
Logo by The Next

Attachments

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2019 18:54
@ TMoney
Quote: " the hud doesn't cover the whole screen"

There's a little nagging bug that sometimes comes after a build. ( with test runs also if you haven't updated the "setuplevel.fpi)
Open your setuplevel.fpi for the current test/buld one your having problems with, look for the lines "hudsizex=gdisplaywidth,hudsizey=gdisplayheight"
Change any of the lines with those commands to "hudglobalx,hudglobaly," so it looks more like this... ":state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudglobalx,hudglobaly,hudimage=gamecore\huds\fader.tga,hudhide=1,hudtype=3,hudmake=internal"
There are several for the seuplevel.fpi. Take your time to go through it all and make sure you got them all. If any more pop-up while testing you know you missed one
That should fix your problem
best,
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, I'll try that asap.
Logo by The Next
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@ncmako we are looking into doing a last update .
What sort of feature you looking into adding to black ice mod ?

I do have a few ideas for the last update like bullet tracers and adding a doom shader based flashlight but the only problem is we have to change the whole shader system to add doom style flashlight.

So these are just ideas at the moment

Best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2019 00:29
S4real
Quote: "What sort of feature you looking into adding to black ice mod "

Well it might already be in there, just hidden. The "setisobjective=1" command, is there a way to get the "blip" objective hud to rotate on it's center axis only ?
Kind of like a compass that points toward the objective. The "rotateblip" is only for npc's facing towards the player on the radar.
I have Nomad's fpsc-dev kit and went all thru the code for compass & radar, I have a feeling it's in there, I'm just not using the commands correctly

I have one more question, not a feature. Every once in awhile when I make a build now in win10 myself ( and a few other users ) have noticed an
old nag pop-up. That old "DP Enhancement Pack error" usually a number is displayed in the pop-up. The pic I attached has the number 13, does that mean
from pack #13 ? Do I just avoid using older packs if it pops up, or is this something different? Most of the time you only have to click on the "ok" and
it goes away and the game loads. Sometimes it crashes the game

Thanks

Attachments

TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
ncmako I have experienced that bug as well, and from what I have figured out, it doesn't seem to happen when I build my games to the desktop. I have only seen it happen when I try to build games to the MYgames folder in FPSC files. As far as I know it has nothing to do with model pack 13, because it wasn't used in the game I was making when I got the bug.
Logo by The Next
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2019 14:04 Edited at: 6th Feb 2019 23:25
I've seen the same error when playing others' games on my computer from the desktop. I can't say where those games were built "to" on the builders computer, or if that would make a difference in the actual game files when carried to another computer. My suspicion is a file security issue, but Dark Basic being as old as it is now, is going to be vague (13?) about errors. That's if it's even a Dark Basic error; I have no idea what's in the expansion pack or what it's written in).

Now to the question at hand.
Quote: "What sort of feature you looking into adding to black ice mod ?"

This may already have been addressed, I have not tried to run games on different computers for some time. I just recently downloaded and tried to play a GameGuru game on my computer (I know... shame on me) and it would not play. I got a DirectX 10 error and that was that. The same old problem that FPSC has been plagued with since it's inception. Does FPSC (now with BIMOD) check for and install or at least propose installation of DirectX9? If so, forgive my failing mind. If not, that seems like a worthy addition/feature.

EDIT: After a conversation with ncmako (thanks mike) I wanted to clarify what I said above. I know that the DX9 files are included, I was referring to a built game checking the users system for DX9 installation, instead of just throwing a useless error or crashing.
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
A feature I think would be cool is a way to make swinging lights. With the attach to light object script, I think it would be awesome to have a light fixture that can swing if it was shot or an explosion went off, kind of like the original F.E.A.R. game
Logo by The Next
TMoney Moterbike Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to double post, but I've again run into a problem. This time it's with loading a saved game in a built game. The problem is that when the level finishes loading, I will loose a significant portion of my health, and it's even possible that I can die upon loading a saved game.
Logo by The Next
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2019 11:01 Edited at: 7th Feb 2019 11:03
The 13 error bug is a new one on me and haven't noticed this error but it looks like dbp may not be reading and writing due to how windows 10 blocks how it reads and writes.
There is a way on windows 10 to have full rights to a program you have to do this with the setup.ini so you can change the settings. I will look into the error and see what could be causing it .

As for the Rador I'm not 100% sure if that's possible I need to check the source as I'm a bit rusty with the source as it's been a while . There so much in black ice mod it's hard to remb everything.

As for swinging lights we would need to change all the shaders for this to work , it might be possible if we look at adding a new flashlight.

Thanks for the feedback and we will look into the source when I have some time.

Best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2019 23:45 Edited at: 8th Feb 2019 19:33
I did a search in the DBPro forum and found this. It was the only result.

Error code 13

The question was, "When running the . . . code I get an error code 13 message box from the enhancements pack. What is the issue?"

BatVink (all of us old-timers should remember him) responded with, "It means that your file doesn't end in ".zip". It's a real pain in the derriere and was introduced at U6.1 IIRC. I've asked for it to be changed back to the default behaviour, but as yet it hasn't been done. I think it looks very unprofessional to package ".zip" files with your game."

I personally have no idea what this is all about. However, if you go to the above link there is a substantial discussion of this issue.

I hope this helps.
THEORY - you know everything but nothing works. PRACTICE - when everything works but don't know why.
For me, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and I don't know why.
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Doom II
Posted: 8th Feb 2019 07:47 Edited at: 8th Feb 2019 07:50

To everyone :
Have you tried to run your build game as Administrator with Windows XP compatibility ?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2019 14:37
@ Kaelyss Yes, have tested multiple ways & setups. This DB error goes way back for years now. Seems to always popup on the loading screen and
always refers to a DB Enhancement pack No biggie, you just click "ok" and it goes away.

@ Flatlander Yikes ! This error going way back to 2006. Yeah, I don't understand the whole "zip" thing either
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2019 19:44
It was a little convoluted , but the way I understood it was... it throws that error when decompressing a file that doesn't end with ".zip".
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2019 21:50
@ xplosys
Quote: " it throws that error when........ decompressing a file........ that doesn't end with ".zip"

LOL, you've got to be kidding Your probably right in this, it figures, why else would it not do this? Of course your right, this is fpsclassic
That elusive little "zip" file thingy mabob we patched up, what like 12 years ago
lmao, this is classic
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2019 17:41
Quote: "Hey I have another problem. Whenever I have my character get shot or use a scope on a weapon, the hud doesn't cover the whole screen. Any idea of how to fix it?"

ncmako explained this perfectly. At the moment if you make any changes in the build process which result in the setuplevel.ini being updated it will overwrite the new global hud commands we added with the old FPSC ones.
For now the workaround he gave will be fine but I will add a fix in the source so the new hud commands get used for the setuplevel.ini by default. Our main priority now is handing over the source code to Flatlander.

Quote: "Does FPSC (now with BIMOD) check for and install or at least propose installation of DirectX9? If so, forgive my failing mind. If not, that seems like a worthy addition/feature."

I can't recall how FPSC deals with DX9 validation in general but we include this as optional part of the mod installation. I'd recommend you include the DX9 installer with any packaged games you build.

I'm still using Win 7 but when I tried Win10 there were a few issues I had with FPSC which got resolved by taking full ownership of the FPSC / Black Ice installation directory.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2019 18:48
Quote: " I'd recommend you include the DX9 installer with any packaged games you build."

Thanks. This is really not your issue and I don't mean to make it so. It just seems stupid to me to have an "Easy Game Creator" with "No Coding Required" and then require you to create your own installer that checks for DirectX requirements.
Either that or wait for users to contact you because your game either crashes or refuses to run on their computer, so you can tell them to install DirectX... which seems to be the fix TGC settled on.
I recently tried to run a GG game and got DirectX 10/11 errors. I see the laziness continues on TGC's part.

I just wondered if there might be a quick fix you could work out, even if only an intelligent error message.
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2019 13:24
Hey Nomad Soul,

Several days ago I stumbled upon a post of yours in which you stated how FPSC will never be suitable to develop a commercial game. Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere on the forums, do you have a link to it, by chance ?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2019 13:32
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2019 13:34 Edited at: 12th Feb 2019 13:35
Thanks !

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2019 21:09
Yeah so its definitely possible to make a commercial game with FPSC as its been done and even with some success.

However you would have to make very careful decisions about the game design or go for an old school type corridor shooter which in fairness is probably what FPSC was originally designed for.

This is about the best example I've seen which got released in 2017. The developer clearly put a lot of effort in and it has a rating of 6 out of 10 with 40% positive reviews.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/606960/CRIMSON_METAL/

Its selling on Steam for £2.99 which is better than anything I've achieved with FPSC so you can make a commercial game providing you limit your design.
It would be really great to see what can be done with an episodic / chapter type release and if this can overcome some of these issues and we have a new pair of eyes on the source which can only be a good thing.
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2019 07:24
I'm not sure about this one, I haven't tried the game. The trailer looked cool yet the game itself has a s***load of bad reviews.
I too, think that one could sell a quality game made with FPSC, it's just that nobody has put the required effort into it so far.

Also, you're right about releasing a game made with FPSC in an episodic way, plus this format becomes more and more common, mostly along smaller companies like DONTNOD Entertainment or the now defunct Telltale Games.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2019 12:49 Edited at: 13th Feb 2019 12:50
Here is the best FPSC game I've seen in terms of originality, style and attention to detail. Unfortunately it never got released and completely disappeared.
To think this was done 10 years ago is staggering but it had a proper team and commercial support behind it ... until it got canned anyway.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2019 14:06 Edited at: 13th Feb 2019 14:37
I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been to attempt something like that in FPSC.
I think you also need to be innovative as well as talented, considering the tools you have to work with. Certainly episodic releases will lessen the effects of FPSC's memory issues, but there are other shortcoming to consider (no background loading, load times, etc) if you're going to attempt to create a "normal" game. Without things like keybinding, difficulty selection, sound and video adjustments, etc, (basically all the fine tuning you see in normal games) you're not going to make the FPS that today's gamers are used to playing. You'll have to make something new and outside the norm.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2019 22:16
@ Nomad Soul I remember that. Wow... I wondered what happened to that one. Have to admit, it still look good today
A lot of work went into that game. Even all the segments look custom made. Shame it was canceled Real shame.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2019 13:46
**ANNOUNCEMENT**

As of today s4real and I have now officially handed over the Black Ice Mod project to Flatlander.

This is fantastic news as it can now continue being developed with a fresh pair of eyes and ideas. Its been a great 3 years working on BIM with s4real and only made possible from all the support we got from the community so thanks for that.
With 600 posts and 65,000 views to date it really did exceed our expectations as the original project was just to merge our mods but it took on a life of its own after that!

So its just left for me now to wish Flatlander all the best for 2019 and hope you all continue enjoying the mod.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2019 20:44
A huge thanks to the both of you for all of the work that you have done. Good luck with your future projects.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2019 21:29 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 21:50
Nomad Soul and s4real created a great mod for FPSC. I plan on adding some of my RPGmod code into the mod. I probably won't have time to look into any possible bugs. Most so-called bugs are not really bugs but trying to use FPSC in a non-standard way.

Well, I might be wrong but it looks like it's possible that BIM is dead. I probably not look at the forum everyday now. I still am grateful that Nomad and s4real has given me the source code. I will personally put it to good use. I still look forward to using RPGmod as an educational tool.
THEORY - you know everything but nothing works. PRACTICE - when everything works but don't know why.
For me, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and I don't know why.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 21:39:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 21:39:54