Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NVIDIA Prize Justice!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Gil, you are right. I agree with you. Aside from one thing. TGC is very much an affiliate of NVidia these days. I don't think they want to ruin such a partnership. So they probably are treading on thin ground if they demanded this stuff. I dunno. Just my take.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 05:58
Original post was in May. Latest post in December.... Wow.

Cheers,

-naota

Madness never stops..... It takes a breather every once in a while, but then it grabs it's inhaler and chases you down the street with a cane.
Aex.Uni forums
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 08:18
I would be interested to know if Nvidia even used the winning games for promotional purposes. If so, there may be legal grounds for action if they didn't hold up their end of the contract. Also, wasn't one of the prizes the chance to get commercially published? Or did I dream that??

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 08:44
The commercial game thing got brushed under the carpet, dunno why exactly, I'm guessing the games didn't blow them away like they expected a 3 month project to .

Imagine what we could do with a 6-month deadline, we would see some real gems I think, yet we get 3 months to make a game then wait a year on the prizes being delivered!. Not in my case though, I got my stuff quickly and am very grateful for it.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 08:45
I keep hoping one of these days I will look at this thread and see this issue resolved.Nvidia needs to pony up the goods.There is no excuse for Nvidia not doing what was promised.
Still hoping people get what they earned and we can end this thread one day.
Nobody to my knowledge got a publishing contract.I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure if someone did they would have posted about it.
I sure would have.

Please have mercy and use the search function.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 09:14 Edited at: 18th Dec 2007 09:23
When can we expect the first of the winning games to be published under the publishing contract that was offered to best games? Did anyone ever receive the funding promised to develop the game into a full commercial release? Or was this prize was never rewarded as well?

Anyway, does anyone really believe what TGC or nVidia states in this matter? It's obvious that both sites are lying, how often have the winners been told by now that the situation was really sorted out and still no one has heard anything at all from anyone. The winners should really unite and take this matter into the open, post this injustice as much as you can on numerous websites, expecially game design related and you will be suprized how quick TGC will act on your behalf.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry Mike but that's such a filipino way of thinking. I know we are used to such things because it's common practice over here. And we also got used to the "oh nevermind" way of thinking, because we know fighting for our rights is just fruitless and a waste of time.
Quote: "we never payed anything to deserve the great items"

Of course you did, even though not in form of money. All the effort and time that went into the entries. I could imagine that your statement could cause hard feelings. Specially those who work and invested their precious free time into their project.
It's like working for 4 months and not getting paid.
I know it was just your oppinion. But for all those who won (and you were one of them) in the competition it's just like a slap in the face.
Anyway...peace bro
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 10:31
Quote: "But for all those who won (and you were one of them) in the competition it's just like a slap in the face. "

Not only for all those who won, but for every entered.....

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 13:16 Edited at: 18th Dec 2007 13:20
Quote: "guessing the games didn't blow them away like they expected a 3 month project to"

You would think nVidia would know what an actual dev timeline should look like.

I'm really surprised it wasn't advertised and worked up as a kind of "Indy Game Maker Collection" type of thing. They really could have done better with the outcome (both parties), as far as advertising the results and everything.

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 14:02
In reference to an earlier question about the video game contracts none of the winners to my knowledge received one.I would assume if they had we would have heard about it and TGC would have pumped it for PR.
I am not sure about the status of that of if the company seriously was going to even give away a contract as Nivida assumes they don't have to fulfill their part of the bargain.

Please have mercy and use the search function.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 16:40 Edited at: 18th Dec 2007 16:44
Quote: "And we also got used to the "oh nevermind" way of thinking, because we know fighting for our rights is just fruitless and a waste of time."

Yup, you're right... I mean, we're doing this for months and nothing's happening... I'd rather use my time to make money and buy the parts instead of wasting my time on arguing with people who doesn't even know how to read threads... (I'm referring to TGC, not u guys)

AND, don't forget the missing voucher... =.=

Quote: "post this injustice as much as you can on numerous websites, expecially game design related and you will be suprized how quick TGC will act on your behalf."

Many have already said that... And i wonder... How come nobody's doing that? If i remember right, only one person did that, and it didn't became popular...

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 22:49
You have to do it together really, not one person. I've called for a nVidia boycot before also. We as TGC customers should really start boycotting FPSC X10 for example, since it's designed to run best on nVidia cards. Just tell them we will not buy, since we're refusing to support nVidia. If you get enough people doing this, you may get very far, since TGC will be hurting enough to do something about it.

The whole tigh in with nVidia is causing the problem, as many have stated before.... so you have to start hitting where it hurts the most.... sales. We cannot do much about nVidia's sales, but we sure can do something about TGC's sales if enough will join in. After all most of TGC's income comes from the people that are here in the forums.

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 22:55
Quote: "You have to do it together really, not one person. I've called for a nVidia boycot before also. We as TGC customers should really start boycotting FPSC X10 for example."

I agree, I got my Nvidia card before this all happened. The laptop I bought in November is an all AMD PC (ATI).

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 23:14
Well lets start one massive list of people who won't but FPSC X10, right here, now then!

Sudoku arts, the rabi and Nancy DrewG
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 23:16 Edited at: 18th Dec 2007 23:18
Nvidia Boycott List.
1. Keo C

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 23:20
1. Keo C
2. Insert Name Here

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 23:56
Nvidia Boycott List.
1. Keo C
2. Insert Name Here
3. Demons Breath

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 01:39
Nvidia Boycott List.
1. Keo C
2. Insert Name Here
3. Demons Breath
4. n008

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 09:38
FPSC X10 Boycott List.
1. Keo C
2. Insert Name Here
3. Demons Breath
4. n008
5. Mike Inel

I'm not a fan of fps games, so i'll add my name... And even if tgc ban me from this forum, i'm always unwanted anyway...

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 13:35 Edited at: 19th Dec 2007 13:37
FPSC X10 Boycott List / nVidia Boycott list.
1. Keo C
2. Insert Name Here
3. Demons Breath
4. n008
5. Mike Inel
6. Benjamin A

Of course I do have to add my name also after suggesting it..... I've changed the title a little so that both TGC & nVidia get boycotted.

I'm still considering to get X10, I've just upgraded my machine and it can handle it, no nVidia but ATI card, but I will put of any purchases until this issue is resolved.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 20:46
Yep, lets try to drive TGC out of business. Cause it sure as heck won't make any difference to nVidia! That should work.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 20:56
DX10, ftl! >:-(

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 21:24
Quote: "Yep, lets try to drive TGC out of business. Cause it sure as heck won't make any difference to nVidia! That should work.
"

Did you read the reasoning?
Quote: "You have to do it together really, not one person. I've called for a nVidia boycot before also. We as TGC customers should really start boycotting FPSC X10 for example, since it's designed to run best on nVidia cards. Just tell them we will not buy, since we're refusing to support nVidia. If you get enough people doing this, you may get very far, since TGC will be hurting enough to do something about it."

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 21:28
It run's fine on ATI products as well. There are other manufacturers starting to produce X10 hardware as well. While nVidia is one of the better known X10 card manufactures, they are by far not the only ones.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 21:31
True. Although, we're targeting TGC more than Nvidia here, so that they get on with badgering Nvidia.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 21:41
All you're doing is denying TGC possible future business. Rick is, and has been doing everything he can. You want to produce a petition that's fine, but encouraging a boycott over something TGC has demonstrated that it has little or no control over is more about some misplaced sense of revenge and anger, then actually speeding up anything Rick is trying to accomplish.

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 21:43
Yes,

1. Keo C
2. Insert Name Here
3. Demons Breath
4. n008
5. Mike Inel
6. Benjamin A
7. Robin

Quote: "Yep, lets try to drive TGC out of business. Cause it sure as heck won't make any difference to nVidia! That should work.
"

Well maybe if TGC showed some evidence of attempting to resolve this issue with nvidia, people wouldn't be starting a boycott?

[center]
Dell XPS M1210 12.1" | 2Ghz Duo Core | 2GB DDR2 Ram | 100GB HD | 256MB Geforce Go 7400
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:16 Edited at: 19th Dec 2007 22:17
Rick has posted multiple times that he is doing his best. He stated as much in the last Devhat Q&A as well. Not much else he can do.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:16
If TGC can prove that they have been trying their hardest to resolve this problem, we could porbably metamorph to boycott into a petition agains Nvidia. But only then.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:23
@Daniel TGC: How is posting every few months saying that "things are moving" and apparently not getting anywhere doing that his best? Like I said, why can't whoever corresponds with NVIDIA contact them and address and resolve the issue. How long does it take to resolve something like this? We've been patient with it for almost a year, but now it's getting ridiculous.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:23
This isn't a boycott, this is 'Lets see how far we can push TGC'.

Really, decide to boycott TGC on it's own forum, is that really the sensible thing to do? - is this a deliberate attempt to get this thread locked so you (not sure who) can then cry 'censorship'. I don't think this is fair to TGC, who are doing all they can to resolve this issue from what I can see.

It's horrible and a real shame on those missing out on their prizes, but the way this thread has turned out is just counter-productive, I think it actually makes us look a little pathetic - we want nVidia to do the right thing because they want to.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:24
I think those that want to boycott TGC should bugger off and get their own thread, because I agree it'll probably get this one locked.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:28 Edited at: 19th Dec 2007 22:28
hmm...last post by rick was 22nd October, that's nearly 2 months ago.

Prior to that his last post was on 5th June, that's over half a year ago lol...

[center]
Dell XPS M1210 12.1" | 2Ghz Duo Core | 2GB DDR2 Ram | 100GB HD | 256MB Geforce Go 7400
Slow Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:30
1. Keo C
2. Insert Name Here
3. Demons Breath
4. n008
5. Mike Inel
6. Benjamin A
7. Robin
8. Slow Programmer

This is just not right. I understand that TGC expects Nividia to fix this, but ultimately this is TGC's problem. Someone needs to do what's right and fix this asap. I did not enter this contest so I have no direct connection with it. However, I have spent over $300 dollars on TGC products since last year. I will not spend money with a company that does not take care of their customers. I will buy nothing else until this problem is taken care of.
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:31
Quote: "Really, decide to boycott TGC on it's own forum, is that really the sensible thing to do? - is this a deliberate attempt to get this thread locked so you (not sure who) can then cry 'censorship'. I don't think this is fair to TGC, who are doing all they can to resolve this issue from what I can see."

Ture.
Quote: "I think those that want to boycott TGC should bugger off and get their own thread, because I agree it'll probably get this one locked.
"

Ture as well.
(Bugger off me!)

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:34
Indeed, there's nothing quite like that "shooting the messanger" in the morning feeling is there?

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:36
... Eh? What do you mean?

And it's late evening where I am, too.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:36
It's always morning somewhere.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:37
No during the apocolypse.

Ahh! I'm running off topic again.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:38
Quote: "we want nVidia to do the right thing because they want to."

Problem is, they have absolutely no reason to do so. Everything nVidia has provided has been at their inconvenience/expense, not the other way round (i.e. TGC haven't 'done anything for them' so they have nothing to lose). Whereas TGC possibly have a lot to lose (future competition sponsors etc.)

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 22:40
Quote: "Indeed, there's nothing quite like that "shooting the messanger" in the morning feeling is there?"

I'm not shooting the messenger, I'm giving the messenger a message to give to TGC since he seems to be our only link on here to them.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 23:46 Edited at: 19th Dec 2007 23:49
Quote: "All you're doing is denying TGC possible future business. Rick is, and has been doing everything he can. You want to produce a petition that's fine, but encouraging a boycott over something TGC has demonstrated that it has little or no control over is more about some misplaced sense of revenge and anger, then actually speeding up anything Rick is trying to accomplish.

Rick has posted multiple times that he is doing his best. He stated as much in the last Devhat Q&A as well. Not much else he can do."

Hmmm.... let's see

This thread started 5th of may..... first reply by Rick:

Quote: "Posted: 5th Jun 2007 09:30
Hi, my apologies for not posting sooner. TGC are still dealing with this issue and I can assure you that we want everyone to have a happy outcome. I have managed to find time to look at this now and we will come back to each winner directly. It may take some time yet while I work with NVIDIA and the affected winners.

From the outset I never saw this coming, so lessons must be learned for any future comps. I too thought it was clear as crystal but it's all turned a bit pair shaped. TGC will do the right thing, just stick with us.

Rick"

OK, apology accepted now get working.

Quote: "Posted: 1st Sep 2007 00:24
I am emailing them. I promise to keep up the pressure."

3 months later and you're emailing them? Keeping up the pressure?After 4 months emailing isn't excactly keeping up the pressure.....

Quote: "Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 23:09
Good news, NVIDIA are sorting things out (at last). I have emailed the winners to let them know things are moving."

That was 2 months ago and nothing yet, and you're still saying everything that can be done is done. In the meantime TGC and nVidia have met face to face a couple of times and they could have resolved this right there and then, but no..... we keep on emailing. How about some real pressure?

One last remark......

Quote: "It run's fine on ATI products as well. There are other manufacturers starting to produce X10 hardware as well. While nVidia is one of the better known X10 card manufactures, they are by far not the only ones."

While DX10 may run fine on ATI cards, TGC stuff doesn't..... http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=117226&b=33 FPSC X10 and ATI don't play well together, so for now no good alternative and no choice. TGC is way too close to nVidia, they should have coded X10 for all DX10 gfx cards and not so much geared at nVidia GFX Cards features. Bad move for the customer, but sponsors are known to force companies into bad moves.

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 02:20
I might add that I'm only boycotting Nvidia, not TGC.

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 02:22 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 02:33
I'd love to boycot nVidia but damn them their cards are always faster than the ATI equivilent

Damn and the latest prices on 8800GT

I did stop buying TCG addons coz I got screwed for the nVidia taking part voucher, it just sticks in my gut every time I look at buying something.

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 03:07 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 03:10
If you got screwed for a taking part voucher you can blame me for that, and technically I don't work directly for TGC, I'm a contractor. So the company you can blame for that is Daniel Foreman Freelance.

Also a fellow Eve Online player I see. Feel free to send hate mail to slicedpeaches! Or be more direct if you have a decent weapons rig.

HeavyAmp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 05:25
It was TGC who ran this competition so its TGC who are responsible for the prizes. It should not concern the prize winners if a prize sponsor did not fulfill its obligation. (which TGC should of made sure they had the prizes to give out in the first place) Its their responsibility as the host of the competition to first try and acquire the missing prizes and if unsuccessful to provide the prizes themselves or failing that replace them with something of equal value. Seven months of waiting is not acceptable. There has been little evidence to show TGC has been trying its hardest to acquire these prizes from nVidia. After seven moths its very clear that nVidia is not going to provide the prizes. What are you going to do about this TGC, it is ruining your reputation, you have fantastic products so why let something like this spoil your good name. If you have to pay for these prizes out of your own pocket to save face then do it.

For months I have refrained from posting in this thread simply because I have had nothing to do with this competition but this is beyond a joke, you can see that your customers aren't happy about this and won't let this slide. At least offer them an apology and some of your software as amends. TGC do something!

Better to be dead, than to live your life afraid.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 05:38
Well said, HeavyAmp, I feel the same way. And Daniel TGC, stop acting like we are personally attacking you, we are directing our comments at TGC for their complete failure at providing the prizes after 7 months.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 06:05 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 06:21
Isn't it about time for the next compo? I ask because I'm curious if the TGC is putting it off until they solve the issues with the Nvidia compo, and because I'm now in the mood for a compo, and even with this (which I consider an overall disaster), all the other TGC compos I've witnessed have been amazing. Until this one, It's been like the big event of the year for me (sounds weird, but it always feels like it). Even with this one it was a bit, but I felt a whole lot more like I was just following a few wip games. Especially since we were allowed to enter games we'd already been working on.

I REALLY want another compo, unlike many of the others in this thread. I've got a bunch of new skills I want to work on, and I want to get into that whole compo spirit, which sadly the Nvidia compo was lacking. I need one in a way, because I've gotten out of shape with my coding time. If a new compo isn't coming in the next few months, can you give an idea, like what season it will be in?

Edit: I'm kind of tired of the complaining in this thread, not because I don't agree (I do agree with the majority of it), but because I've heard it all in the thread earlier, and I don't want the tgc to stop having compos because they've had a real screw up one time. I think if the tgc knows anything, the next compo could be one of their best (assuming people join), because they now know what works really well and what doesn't work at all. Because it wasn't just the prizes of the Nvidia compo that were screwed up like this: You'll notice not a ton of db games got finished on the nvidia board, and that should have been the majority of the games entered. The stakes were almost too high, and the major focus of graphics kind of killed most developers I think. And then the late releases of the reviews (why did it take some much incredibly longer than previous compos, when there were most definitely less entries), and then the downloads taking forever to come out and not even having all the downloads avalible. TGC need to make it feel like the compo is their main focus as it's going on, not a side note of a foot note.

...yeah. Anyways, tgc please have a compo soon.

and wouldn't it make more sense to boycott the next compo until the prizes are sorted?

Edit2: Ha! I want a compo but also think a new compo is what to boycott until the Nvidia prizes are given.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 09:33
"OMGZ TGC didn't give me my prices, I know lets try and cause their comopany to go out of business " - tard of vengeance.

I Think that it is bad that most of you haven't had prizes yet, and I would be annoyed too if it was me.

I think the hate postings against TGC are a bit out of order though to be honest. TGC made a mistake by not securing the prizes before the competition started (Rick said this at the convention, so its straight from the horses mouth). He also said that in future any competition would only go ahead if the prize's were secured and in actually in TGC's possession.

He also told us about his ridiculous constant dealings with Nvidia regarding this situation, so its not as though he isn't doing anything, but more likely he hasn't been able to turn up anything concrete yet, and quite understandably is scared of posting in case what he posts turns out to be even slightly wrong and he will get torn apart by angry community.

Those without prizes, Rick is working on it.

TheSturgeon(playing me at chess) : I will use my powers of the horse and pwnzor you.
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 11:21
Quote: "because I'm now in the mood for a compo"

What about the DBPro minimal media coding competition that started on Sunday? (assuming that you have DBP)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 10:50:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 10:50:19