Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NVIDIA Prize Justice!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 15:12
Wow there's alot of anger here! I'm certainly not reguarding anything as a personal attack. I'm simply informing GatorHex that if he didn't receive his participation voucher it's because I didn't send it out for some reason. I honestly don't remember ever seeing his DinoHunter game, it's not in the competition archive backups on my system. But if there was some kind of screw up on that particular issue the blame lays firmly with me, and not TGC. I've explained this to GatorHex before but he won't listen.

HeavyAmp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 15:15
Mnemonix I understand where you are coming from and I am not bashing TGC. But any dealings with nVidia should of been dealt with long ago. How much more do you want these guys to wait, I think they have been patient enough.

- Tard of Vengeance

Better to be dead, than to live your life afraid.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 15:19
Yes I agree that they shouldn't have to wait, and believe me, this is more Nvidia's fault than it is TGCs. All I was saying that the hardships that have been endured are not really an excuse to try and ruin TGC are they?

Surely you can live your lives whatever the outcome?

TheSturgeon(playing me at chess) : I will use my powers of the horse and pwnzor you.
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Well if you want to get really technical 99% of NVIDIA staff arn't to blame either

HeavyAmp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 15:34
Personally I don't agree with boycotting TGC products. nVidia I couldn't care less about. But I understand why they are doing it, and on some level it makes sense. You wouldn't buy products from a company that you have had bad dealings with. Why should TGC be an exception to this? As stated TGC isn't a huge company and they do produce good products thats why I'm not saying Sign me up to the list. But just because TGC are a small company it doesn't mean they should be exempt from this if people are finding its necessary.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 15:46
Im not suggesting that you use a company that you don't want to use. Its up to the person to choose whether to purchase from a company or not, but for somebody to campaign that people do not use a specific company is bordering on idiotic.

Im only against people trying to force others to do something with no actual reason.

TheSturgeon(playing me at chess) : I will use my powers of the horse and pwnzor you.
HeavyAmp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 16:20
Its a harsh tactic to use but by simply not choosing to Purchase TGC products and not saying why you doing it won't really help the reason why you would want to not purchase TGC products in the first place. It allows them to express their frustration at the situation and make TGC aware of it.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 17:33
I've noticed that in only a few days to a weeks time, the view count on this thread has increased close to 1,000.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:02
This isn't relevant but KeithC your signature is above the allowed size (which is 600x120).

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:14
Hey, you're right Ben it's exactly 30 pixels too high. Thanks for taking the time to put it into your graphics program to check it out.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:23
There we go; does that work better for you?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:28 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 18:29
Yes thanks, now the screen isn't consumed by that image every time I read one of your posts.

By the way, you can actually check the dimensions of an image by right clicking on it and selecting "properties". You don't need a graphics program to check that.

Also, there's an edit button to the bottom left of your posts.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:40
Quote: "By the way, you can actually check the dimensions of an image by right clicking on it and selecting "properties". You don't need a graphics program to check that."

Learned something new today.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:41 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 18:42
Quote: "Also, there's an edit button to the bottom left of your posts."

You noticed that too?

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:42 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 18:44
Mine is perfectly sized, and I know how to center! :-p

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:44
I can center too!!!! YaaY!

[center]

Sudoku arts, the rabi and Nancy DrewG
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:45
Mine's slightly to the left of center.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:45
You centered it but then put loads of spaces after it, did you?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:50
Uh...no.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:53
Heh, like we beleive THAT.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 18:57
Guys, stop spamming this thread.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 19:06
Quote: "This isn't relevant but KeithC your signature is above the allowed size (which is 600x120)."

Oh, you mean like the above statement that could have been e-mailed to me?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 19:42
A little strange that you're actually trying to justify your spamming, but I've e-mailed you.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 20:03
Opinion noted and e-mail received (and returned).

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 20:47
There's no way you're going to get Nvidia to cough up the prizes if you kill each other first....
Remember...peace and goodwill toward your fellow forum members.
Let's have a group hug (Nvidia is not invited...)

Please have mercy and use the search function.
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 20:48
Quote: "It was TGC who ran this competition so its TGC who are responsible for the prizes. It should not concern the prize winners if a prize sponsor did not fulfill its obligation."

Thank you Heavy Amp, this is exactly my point. I work in print managment, if I out-source work to another firm, but for technical reasons can't reach the deadline to my client, it's solely my problem.

I couldn't care less where or who supplied the prizes to be honest. I have been emailing RickV throughout the months that this has gone on, not a member of NVIDIA staff.

The point of this thread was to highlight TGC's incompetence, which continues to become more apparent.

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 22:39
I don't think TGC are to blame; from Rick's earlier posts it seems like he's at least trying, even if he's not being met with a huge deal of success, and I have no problem with TGC. When I put my name on the list it was an nVidia boycott, not a X10 one (although to be fair I probably won't buy FPSCX10 anyway but that's not from any sort of moral standpoint, I think I should just stick with DBC until I at least get slightly less failurely at it )

"A West Texas girl, just like me"
-Bush
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 00:16
Quote: "When I put my name on the list it was an nVidia boycott"

Yes, why can't people leave the lists unmodified.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 00:25
I have to look at this from a business point of view. If I promise my customer to deliver such and such on a certain date, and then one of my vendors doesn't deliver, what do I tell my client? Certainly if I tell him that my vendor dropped the ball, he would quickly tell me that he doesn't know my vendor, nor did he hire him to do the job. I made the promise, not my vendor.

That being said, crap happens, but there is still the responsibility to make it right. How you go about that and how long it takes determines whether or not you continue to do business with the client, and very possibly with other prospective clients who will be told about the issue. Do a good job and no one will notice, but screw up and the world will know about it.

While my example may be different from this situation, the fix remains the same. You are only as good as your word. If you don't stand behind it, you quickly loose credibility which is evident from this thread. If you want to keep the client and gain future business, you do what it takes to deliver the goods and satisfy the client. Then you go after the vendor who let you down.

Best.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 00:45 Edited at: 21st Dec 2007 16:03
Deleted and moved to a more noticeable position.
HeavyAmp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 02:06
You probably want to change your signature Keo

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 03:18
Why? Because I think DOOM is still awesome?

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 03:23
DOOM is awesome!

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 03:29
n008 has spoken.

HeavyAmp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 03:32
Quote: "Why? Because I think DOOM is still awesome?"

No, because coke is better

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 06:06
Doom was a brilliant game for its time. I think it's fair to say it set standards for every FPS since. Including the "FPS without any apparent storyline" the quake games continued that tredition.

What was the best FPS Story anyones ever played?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 10:05
For me that would have to be Half Life, there's so many bits in that game that made my jaw drop - like when the marines arrive and the scientists are like 'Yay, we being saved!', then they get gunned down . In comparison I'd say HL2 tries a little too hard, still a good plot but I got annoyed at all the people that are supposed to know you somehow, I don't remember getting very much help in the first HL. The part with the preacher dude and the skinned climbing zombies was really good though.
They should make an episode all about Ravenholm, expand on it as I really liked that part, maybe go for a survival horror feel to it.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 13:45 Edited at: 21st Dec 2007 13:46
I don't know, I did like FEAR quite a bit. Many of the shock parts (especially at the end on the helicopter) reminded me of The Ring, or The Grudge. Definately something to play in the Dark, if you want a good spook once in awhile.

Other than that, I'm a typical fan of COD; but then, I do have a degree in History.

-Keith

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:04
I did like half life, never played FEAR. My only problem with those games is that they are all "genetic experiments gone wrong!" style games. Nothing wrong with that. But I'd love to see them try something like a mobster game, or perhaps a thriller in FPS style where you have to run through mazes of corriors and shafts to avoid being catpured by the phycopath. I'd like to see three uniqe choices as well for running away where the player has to take into account where the sound of the footsteps are coming from, or where he hurd breathing last. Perhaps have a few scenes where you get a crow bar or lump of wood, you wait around the corner, go to hit someone, it turns out to be a rat, or cat or something and the killer turns up suddanly, disarms you, then you have only 3 - 4 seconds to jump up and run away. There's alot of clever choice driven events that could be added to an FPS game that no one seems to try.

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:06
um....going off topic?

[center]
Dell XPS M1210 12.1" | 2Ghz Duo Core | 2GB DDR2 Ram | 100GB HD | 256MB Geforce Go 7400
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:10 Edited at: 21st Dec 2007 15:14
There was a trailer recently released for Duke Nuk'em forever, did anyone see it? That FPS has taken more then six years!

XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
I remember Doom, it was great. I remember my system had trouble running it, so i had to create a special floppy disk to boot up from. I never got FEAR to run, wish i could have. Of course I love Halo, not many don't...though i'm not too impressed with Halo 2 for Vista. With all the good ones out there, its hard for me to pick just one.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:17
Quote: "um....going off topic?"

There's not much else to say about it at this point; this is a good way to help keep the thread at the top of the pile. Feel free to post some on topic thoughts though.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:17
I agree with Robin.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:24 Edited at: 21st Dec 2007 15:24
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:25
Funny how 3 mods aid in derailing this thread instead of doing their duties. In light of this clear attempt to bury the bad press I too will boycott TCG and nVidia products!

Oh and Doom1/2 do rock, in fact I've been playing them quite a bit these past few days using SkullTag .

FPSC X10 Boycott List / nVidia Boycott list.
1. Keo C
2. Insert Name Here
3. Demons Breath
4. n008
5. Mike Inel
6. Benjamin A
7. Robin
8. Slow Programmer
9. Darkcoder

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:33
Quote: "Funny how 3 mods aid in derailing this thread instead of doing their duties. In light of this clear attempt to bury the bad press I too will boycott TCG and nVidia products!"

Wow, you've got nerve DC. I've been trying to keep this alive for the people that have been wronged, including in the Mod section. If that's the way you (and others) feel; I'll leave it to you. I'm all done trying to help out.

-Keith

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:37 Edited at: 21st Dec 2007 15:38
Quote: "Funny how 3 mods aid in derailing this thread instead of doing their duties. "

Do you mean the same mods that keep bumping this thread to keep it at the top?

Quote: "In light of this clear attempt to bury the bad press I too will boycott TCG and nVidia products!"

Have fun with that.

a.k.a WOLF!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:45
Quote: "Wow, you've got nerve DC. I've been trying to keep this alive for the people that have been wronged, including in the Mod section. If that's the way you (and others) feel; I'll leave it to you. I'm all done trying to help out."

Well if it is just harmless bumping then whatever, just the timing seemed rather suspicious as I was the one who previously bumped the thread when it died and as soon as this boycott starts we have a page of Doom talk.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 15:46
@ the MOD's,

I know you realize this, but sometimes we just have to be reminded of where we are and who we're dealing with. I know I forget sometimes. Thanks for all you do.

Best.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 03:11:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 03:11:40