Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Any time I deleted a file on D: it asked for administrator permission. The problem was the drive's recycle bin was corrupt.
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 23:16
Quote: "Probably to save on RAM. If you are 5 minutes into a video, chances are you won't want to go back all the way to zero and since web browsers are memory hogs already, thats a nice optimization to make"
Oooh I see what you're saying, you think it unloads video it loaded and played earlier as it plays? With the video players I am describing, I can usually go even back to 5 seconds after 0:00 and no reload happens, but if I actually hit 0:00, then it does indeed reload. Perhaps they include that as a sort of "reload button" for the video?
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- TheComet's signature
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 23:26
Oh, that's weird. Im not sure why they would do that...
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure is nice when video players randomly forget the video isn't actually over yet.
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2016 01:46
Video players are the epitome of software engineering.

Speaking of bad things, giant iPads with 100 dollar styli are among us! iPad pro... Now the (fourth?) time Apple has released a product where I laughed before realizing that it was, in fact, real.
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- TheComet's signature
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure is nice when you seek to part of the video the video player thinks has buffered but actually hasn't and it just sort of gives up and you have to reload the page.
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2016 02:37 Edited at: 15th Jan 2016 03:29
Well said! We should come up with a name for all of these various phenomena, and then submit them to a publisher of a book of bad phenomena.

Also, the last time my computer was completely shut off was sometime in mid October... Perhaps time for a restart! In fact, the current install of Windows was installed in September -- besides restarts for various software and driver installs, I'd bed this install of Windows has less than 5 restarts logged.

Spotify is using 650MB memory
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2016 08:58
The longest I have ever gone without a restart is probably a little more than a month.

Also, why doesn't the new site show a post count inside the thread. How will I know if I get points now
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2016 04:32 Edited at: 16th Jan 2016 07:41
Indeed, it is an utter outrage.

I think I should upgrade to Windows 10 sometime soon. Perhaps that could be my next restart. Do you guys think Windows 10 is a good idea? It actually seems pretty decent from what I have used of it.

Ahah! I just realized that Samsung placed a very small amount of plastic on the tip of the charging cable's USB plug, presumably to prevent the plug from scratching the phone's metal finish surrounding the USB port. I admire the smallest things.
"If you know Apple, use it. If you know Vista, ask yourself why, then use it." - Mark Cuban
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2016 08:15
Quote: " I think I should upgrade to Windows 10 sometime soon. Perhaps that could be my next restart. Do you guys think Windows 10 is a good idea? It actually seems pretty decent from what I have used of it."

There are valid privacy concerns regarding Windows 10, but otherwise it's a pretty solid OS from what I hear. I personally am going to withhold upgrading until I can virtualize it simply because I don't want to reinstall (and don't trust MS's upgrade software).
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2016 23:15
I've upgraded half a dozen machines now including 7 home, 7 pro, and 8.1 pro. I have had no issues with the upgrade on any of them.

It's a solid OS, from just the user experience I love it. One of the best things to remember is that you can still get to the old standard windows 7 control panel, just do a windows search for 'control' then pin it. ditto for things like cmd and run.

Won't get in to the privacy stuff again, we already had a thread that covered that pretty well :p
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 09:15
I would advise against upgrading, I havn't used it myself but I have a friend who has had a lot of issues with it, mainly with it 'randomly' rebooting for updates. The privacy concerns are also something to keep in mind.

Also, the friend I was talking about has dual booted linux and win 10 and at one point, windows 10 decided that it needed do an update when he shut down the computer but didn't do it then. When he tried to boot linux, he got some strange errors and it wouldn't boot at all. Then he went back to booting windows which worked and it did the updates. When he went back to linux linux worked fine again.

It might have been something with hibernation though, I can't remember
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 13:39
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Not me
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have a friend who has had a lot of issues with it, mainly with it 'randomly' rebooting for updates."

Sounds like he doesn't understand the update settings.
320x224
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 17:39
Quote: "Sounds like he doesn't understand the update settings"

What do you mean? It really does randomly decide to update & reboot without you being able to stop it.
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Not me
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 19:55
Randomness, are you running 10? If so, that might be enough to convince me to switch.
"If you know Apple, use it. If you know Vista, ask yourself why, then use it." - Mark Cuban
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 20:21

This isn't anything new to 10, I went through this exact issue in 7 after an interrupted update, had to roll back and re-apply.

The majority of the privacy issue settings can be turned off / disabled (granted these should be opt-in rather than opt-out to begin with... ) , the current version of the update has even gotten better about presenting these options upfront during the setup wizard so that you don't have to go digging through all the different places they are found in windows settings, just choose the 'customize' or 'advanced' option (its a small text link below the main options)

Quote: "Also, the friend I was talking about has dual booted linux and win 10 and at one point, windows 10 decided that it needed do an update when he shut down the computer but didn't do it then. When he tried to boot linux, he got some strange errors and it wouldn't boot at all. Then he went back to booting windows which worked and it did the updates. When he went back to linux linux worked fine again."

No OS is going to provide any consideration or support for a second OS running alongside it in a dual boot configuration. Just because it can be done, it's not really how any of them are designed to work so there should be no surprise when they sometimes step on each other's toes.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 00:44
Quote: "The majority of the privacy issue settings can be turned off / disabled (granted these should be opt-in rather than opt-out to begin with... ) "

Beyond the fact that it's not opt-in rather than opt-out (which would be great and acceptable), there's some evidence that on consumer versions of Windows 10 Microsoft disregards certain settings or still initializes the services you've supposedly turned off. Regardless of whether or not those services are indeed deactivated, the fact that they're still running and, in some cases, still transmitting data is unacceptable. (One of these days I'll verify some of these claims personally, but I simply don't have the time at the moment and so have to go on the various articles I've read)

Quote: "No OS is going to provide any consideration or support for a second OS running alongside it in a dual boot configuration."

Linux seems to keep to itself just fine...
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 02:41
Quote: "
Linux seems to keep to itself just fine...
"

Really? Because I seem to remember ubuntu wrecking the windows boot loader and replacing it with grub, leaving you to have to fix the boot loader from a windows recovery/install disk if you uninstall ubuntu before you can use Windows again.

I've got nothing against Linux, I run it in both a vmware workstation and on a cloud VPS, I'm just saying OSes are not particularly designed for dual booting, and will complicate things for each other when doing so.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 06:55
Quote: " Really? Because I seem to remember ubuntu wrecking the windows boot loader and replacing it with grub, leaving you to have to fix the boot loader from a windows recovery/install disk if you uninstall ubuntu before you can use Windows again. "

I guess I should have prefixed it with a "once everything is setup, Linux keeps to itself". No OS really wants to play ball with another on install which I suppose was your point. I'll concede that.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 12:01
How does one power a ~30W LED no larger than a grain of sand (7x7mm) without it instantly bursting into flames?

http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Arrays-Directional/XLamp-XHP70
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 13:53
Quote: "Really? Because I seem to remember ubuntu wrecking the windows boot loader and replacing it with grub, leaving you to have to fix the boot loader from a windows recovery/install disk if you uninstall ubuntu before you can use Windows again."

Windows wasn't designed to be able to handle multiple operating systems, so you're left with no choice other than to install some other boot manager. It automatically adds an entry for Windows into the boot menu, so it's not like it's completely removing any reference to Windows.

If you uninstall Ubuntu you're still left with a Windows entry in the grub menu.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 19:37
Quote: "How does one power a ~30W LED no larger than a grain of sand (7x7mm) without it instantly bursting into flames?"
Well, a very good portion of that 30 watts of electricity is emitted as light energy instead of being converted to thermal energy, and I think those LEDs are typically back-soldered to a very large ground pane to help dissipate heat (or sometimes even a full on heat sink). I have a small flashlight with a very similar looking, extremely bright LED, and it does get quite hot (too hot to touch) while on; upon turning it off however, it's completely cooled to room temperature within 5 seconds or so.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 21:43 Edited at: 18th Jan 2016 22:03
That's a pretty large "grain of sand" As far as typical sizes of SMD components go, 7mm x 7mm is gigantic, so it will be fairly easy to connect to a lot of surface area and conduct the heat away over copper planes/vias to a heat sink.

You can scroll to page 14 of the data sheet and do the math to see what the maximum thermal resistance is allowed to be for a given output power.

In other (old) news, Samurai Jack is back! Adult Swim have picked up the show again.

The art style of this show has always been absolutely stunning.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 05:37
Quote: "Well, a very good portion of that 30 watts of electricity is emitted as light energy instead of being converted to thermal energy"

Probably only about 15-17%, so there's still about 25W of heat being generated.

Quote: "That's a pretty large "grain of sand""

You're right, I was thinking of sub-millimetre dimensions. It still seems very small for such high power; the 10w leds I have are quite a bit larger and I'm having trouble dissipating the heat at full power. Or at least, I'm having trouble keeping them cool enough that they aren't too hot to touch. Given what DJD said however maybe under normal operating conditions they get that hot anyway. No idea. Oh well, I'm just impressed by the massive output for such tiny chips.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 05:45 Edited at: 19th Jan 2016 06:25
Quote: "Probably only about 15-17%,"
Really? I could swear LEDs were much more efficient. I guess that would explain why they can get so hot then! Ironically, I found this article. TLDR: scientists demonstrated an LED that absorbs thermal energy in order to emit more light energy than it takes in, thus exceeding 100% efficiency and having a cooling effect.

By the way, what are you working on Seditious?
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 06:25 Edited at: 19th Jan 2016 06:32
Quote: "Really?"

Unfortunately so.

Quote: "TLDR: scientists demonstrated an LED that absorbs thermal energy in order to emit more light energy than it takes in, thus exceeding 100% efficiency and having a cooling effect."

That would be very impressive if it were true.

Quote: "By the way, what are you working on Seditious?"

Nothing in particular, just experimenting really. Though I'm thinking of modifying a mains-powered LED floodlight to run on 12v (actually 24v since the driver doesn't give full output power at 12v grr) to use to light the utility room. Preferably with some sort of diffuse filter... Oh and activated by this motion sensor possibly. Might be a bit annoying with the cats setting it off all the time though.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 06:35 Edited at: 19th Jan 2016 06:39
A sodium lamp of all things is the most efficient on that list! At a staggering 29%! And here I was, thinking LEDs were nearly 100 efficient.

Interesting and neat project. When I was into EE, there was a time where I wanted to create a super nifty programmable super bright LED light show thingy. On that topic, lately I have figured out how to project images onto my ceiling using just that super bright flashlight of mine and a magnifying glass. The things that entertain me...
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 08:28
Quote: "And here I was, thinking LEDs were nearly 100 efficient. "

Until recently I thought they were something crazy like 95% efficient.

Quote: "When I was into EE, there was a time where I wanted to create a super nifty programmable super bright LED light show thingy. On that topic, lately I have figured out how to project images onto my ceiling using just that super bright flashlight of mine and a magnifying glass. The things that entertain me..."

Awesome. Why've you gone off EE though?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 08:52 Edited at: 19th Jan 2016 08:57
Well, I change interests very often. 8 years ago when I was 10, I was interested in becoming a pilot, and passionately so. Then that interest waned, and by the time I was 11, I was into programming. By 12, I found DBPro, and have been here since. I eventually lost interest in programming when my interest in EE took over, and that interest lasted a good 6 to 8 months. Holy wow, I can't believe that was 4 years ago... I don't recall what interests I came into after after that, but something to do with computer science in general. So oddly enough for some reason, anything I am interested in, it appears normal for me to lose interest in it after a period of time. One thing I have always been interested in, however, is starting a business. When I was into becoming a pilot, I wanted to start my own airline, a development studio when I was into programming, and a consumer electronics company when I was into EE. In fact, I'm currently working on is starting a business that sells various bottles beverages; not because I am interested in beverages, but because I seem to be invariably interested in starting a business, and beverages seem dandy enough.

Was that a tangent I just went off on? (things always seem longer after typing them ) Back to the point, I still do think EE is quite fascinating. Whenever I come across various things on electronics design, it definitely captures a degree of my interest. Perhaps I should take it up again as a hobby! There have been some things I've wanted to do lately that would involve some more basic EE skills. And maybe that's the problem; whenever I find myself interested in doing something, I compare it to whether I can do that thing for a living. That's why I lost interest in becoming a pilot, I realized it was anymore just a crappy, low paid, dime-a-dozen job.

Oh wow, I remember waaaay back when I was into creating my own computer flight simulator... I guess my interests did overlap for a time! Remembering old projects is quite nostalgic!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 17:10
Huh, I could have sworn LEDs were like 70% efficient.

25W of power on a 7mm x 7mm surface is impressive. The reason why it works is because of the large temperature difference between ambient (usually assumed to be 65°C) and the maximum junction temperature (150°C). That gives you a fair amount of room to dissipate the generated heat.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 00:16 Edited at: 21st Jan 2016 00:17
Quote: "According to researchers, too much fructose intake can hamper how brain cells use and store the energy required to process thoughts and learnings. They said that high fructose corn syrup will impair your ability to remember and change your brain’s ability to learn."
Sure gets annoying when websites start spouting off crap like this! The research they are referring to referred specifically only to fructose, and utterly massive amounts of it at that. Well beyond what any person would consume through even a large amount of HFCS food. Said same research, as far as I know, made no mention of HFCS, so the writer of this article is just putting (false) words in the mouths of people far more intelligent than them self.

All you UK people, is high fructose corn syrup a common ingredient there? It is here, and I personally don't mind, but some people make such a fuss about it.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 15:44
So I went and picked up a 2TB drive to install Kubuntu Linux on. I was getting sick of doing all my computing on WIndows 10, and I would have set up a dual-boot but I wanted to have my two oses on two different drives.

I missed Kubuntu, it feels so much better to be inside it than Windows...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 16:06
Quote: "it feels so much better to be inside it"

r/nocontext
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 18:53
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline

Bloom needs to be anamorphic lens flare shaped.
320x224
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 20:49
Finished the rough low-poly model. Onwards to sculpting!

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2016 12:02
Seppuku05
Years of Service
User Offline
This is perhaps slightly amusing. Because of the need to use a password reset and my folly of not getting my email on my account switched to an active one, I am having to log in using a different account until I can get this resolved with customer support.

The amusing bit is that I am on post approval. Been here for over 10 years, became a moderator and now it's like I'm a newbie all over again. So erm...to continue this illusion, can somebody help me? Gimme teh codes? I want to make a game, big MMO, better than WoW, I have no coding experience, but if you gimme teh codes, then I will let you play my game for free.
This is Seppuku Arts, at least until I get access to my main account again.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2016 15:30
GMO is another thing - Yet another completely safe food technology that people utterly freak out about.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Jan 2016 16:37
Quote: "I want to make a game, big MMO, better than WoW, I have no coding experience, but if you gimme teh codes, then I will let you play my game for free."

Welcome to the forums, Seppuku05!

I won't hesitate to inform you that your goals are over-reaching, and that if we just gave you the code, you wouldn't learn a damn bit of programming, or thinking for yourself, so it would actually be a huge disservice for you and we're just not that way on these lovely grey forums.

Open up AppGameKit, or DarkBASIC, or Unity or whatever it is the cool kids use these days, and press F1. Read the documentation and soon you will be l337 proggie maker. By soon I mean probably about a year or even more, depending on the time you are willing to devote to learning and experimenting.

Seppuku05
Years of Service
User Offline
You expect me to read? That's just nonsense. BOOK? I HATE BOOK! SORRY UR NOT COMEDIAN...and something...something...something related to that old reference.

However, I have started on my big MMO.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2016 23:11 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2016 23:12
Here is da Codez
Enjoy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Seppuku05
Years of Service
User Offline
I love that people still have a copy of that.

Bosnian Power!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 02:38
No no no, you have an idea for a big mmo, you just need some people to code it for you, some artists to do the graphics, and a KS to fund it while you handle the design right?

TheNext helped me and some others in similar situation in the announcement thread linked at the top of the forum
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 07:51 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2016 07:53
Did I hear KS fund? I have 1,000,000 dollars ready to back the next big MMO project. Give me a call (123) 456-7890 (if operator picks up, tell them I'll eat their hard boiled eggs for dinner if they don't transfer the call to me).

EDIT That incoherent portion of my post may inadvertently come across in a poor manner, come to ponder it
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 15:46 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2016 15:47
Wait!! What?? Seppuku05 is Seppuku Arts in disguise?
Can you proove you're the real one? I mean...i hardly recognize you, Sepp! You've changed, dude! What's the metalheads sign? Me wants proof.
Btw, you looked better when you were a Mod, Sepp!

Oh, and another thing...why Seppuku O5? Were all others taken ?
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 04:55
Ah! I have fixed two electronic devices today. One is a USB hub that broke a few weeks ago -- I opened it up and found a broken solder connection. Soldered it back up and it's working dandily! I also "fixed" my old phone, which hasn't been able to boot for a few months. At first, I took it apart just for fun, totally removed the main board, etc. Lots of neat stuff in there, and many nifty ribbon cable connectors! I put it back together, then decided to try some things to get it to boot up. Eventually I tried restoring it to factory, which did the trick. Doesn't have wifi access for some reason though. So I now I have an extra camera!

We also have one of those Neato robotic vacuum cleaners, which won't go anywhere for some reason. Going to take it apart and see if I can get it to work as well. Looks like the belt between the LIDAR sensor and its motor may be misplaced.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 11:04
I think this post may be worth points.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 23:50:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 23:50:59