Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 20:24 Edited at: 30th Dec 2015 20:25
Thank you! For fun, how old did you folks presume myself to be?

Page!
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 21:25 Edited at: 30th Dec 2015 21:25
At least 5½ years old.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 21:46
Startlingly accurate!
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 01:01
Let's get it out of the way, so it's dead and buried and not posted all over the place as a bad new years resolution joke: 3440x1440.

There.

It is technically different to last year's, so that's something. So *technically* it's not the same lame joke. I like to win by technicality. It's like I am only Welsh by a technicality or the other phrase I like to use, "I am only legally Welsh", as if it would prevent any sheep related jokes.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 09:23
Quote: "Link
Thank you! For fun, how old did you folks presume myself to be?"

I thought you were about my age which is 20 so I wasn't too far off. Though I think my default is to assume everyone is around my age until I find out something that tells me something different
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 13:24 Edited at: 31st Dec 2015 13:24
Happy 2016... for those of you that aren't hours behind the REAL time

You lot still stuck in 2015.... *smh*

(Proper post replies later)
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 14:40
@DJD 64: Enjoy your two remaining teenage years. There's not much of a difference between them and your early 20s, but now that I'm entering my mid 20s I finally realize what they mean what they say about don't wish to grow up so fast

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 16:24

FANX FOR THE UPGRADE MISTER ISP
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Why should the Enterprise D have had a Motorola 68000 assembly programmer on board?
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 20:35
Quote: "I thought you were about my age which is 20 so I wasn't too far off. Though I think my default is to assume everyone is around my age until I find out something that tells me something different"
Ah! I presumed you to be in your mid twenties or so.

Quote: "Enjoy your two remaining teenage years. There's not much of a difference between them and your early 20s, but now that I'm entering my mid 20s I finally realize what they mean what they say about don't wish to grow up so fast"
Sound advice it would seem! I know I should be enjoying my teenage years, but for a while I have desperately wished I were older. Granted, as I have gotten older, that desire has waned a bit. Finally an adult now though, so that's neat! In not too long, I plan to go do an adultly thing and pick up a credit card, not to go crazy, but to be wise and use it for small payments to build credit score. I wanted to do that a year ago, but the pft bank was all like "no" and stuff. They grow up so fast!

I came here to post something else, but then replied to those two quotes, and now I forget what I was going to say... Pft!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 22:31
On 13th September, 2017, this thread will be TEN YEARS OLD

Who would have thought!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 23:50
Sweet barnacles! And to think it was 3 years old when I joined... But 2017 is not next year. Oh wait...
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2016 01:45
I remember the days this thread did not exist

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jan 2016 11:02
Can I claim Year?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2016 16:34
I remember 2015 as if it were yesterday
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2016 17:32
I need help deciding what to do for NaGaCreMo

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2016 17:35
I haven't had a shower this year. Joking, I had one a couple of hours ago.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2016 18:24
I had an interesting dream last night. Apple had recently released a new iMac, and it was raging popular (as always, of course). The computer was this massive box, the size of an old full size CRT television, encased all in glass, and the actual monitor was probably a little 10 inch or so screen in the lower right hand corner of the unit. And everyone was buying one.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2016 19:23
Quote: " And everyone was buying one"

I fear skynet is nearing completion

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 02:09 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2016 02:10
Doubling up on the posting

I just asked Cortana on windows 10 "How to game design?" It brought up WIKI in this article in like the 7th step telling you to buy DBP

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Game-Designer

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 04:45
Quote: "Doubling up on the posting"
Halfing down on your points
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 12:23
Quote: "Software with the most vulnerabilities in 2015: Mac OS X, iOS, and Flash"

But that article doesn't say which versions of software for most of those. Are those vulnerabilities in the list for latest versions, or combined versions?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 16:59
NEVER use Webs.com you guys.

I had bought some premium service from them a few months ago, and immediately disabled the auto-renew function so that I wouldn't be charged again, as I only needed it temporarily.

This morning, they charged me for it AGAIN, and are now telling me it will take up to ten days to get my money back.

I am so mad I am deleting my account with them for good.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 17:44
Wix.com ftw

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 18:09
I'm actually using Weebly for most things now. I mean sure, it doesn't give you as much control for designing, but I just wanted to throw together a really basic site and that I didn't have to work on as much.

Finally got my confirmation email for my refund request, so I can calm down now. I just really don't like losing $100 after specifically setting up my account to NOT renew. I even checked it on the first and it was set to not renew. But I made the mistake of leaving my card info saved and so they charged me anyway... dipsticks.

From this day forth, no website shall ever have my card info saved. I had recently deleted it off of all sites thanks to the Steam Christmas Day Scare, but apparently I forgot to delete it off of webs. Oh well. Now it's gone!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 18:58
Eugh, I am having issues with cards as well. I purchased the other day a 50 dollar prepaid visa card to pay a 50 dollar state fee for filing a document. When I went to enter the card info to pay the fee, I accidentally entered the wrong address. I immediately realized my mistake and retried with the correct address (likely a mistake), and the state website told me my transaction had been denied. Yet, when I look at Visa's online card management website, I see that my card has indeed been charged the 50 dollars, bringing its balance to zero, though the transaction's status is listed as "pending". So Visa now gives me no indication whatsoever regarding whether that transaction will actually go through or end up failing, or when. The state website also gives me no indication whatsoever regarding whether they received my document. So I'm completely in the dark on this one. Yaaaaay!!!!!! Stuff like this irks me pretty badly.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 19:55
I once did that with the Walmart website and it was credited back after 48 hours. State will probly be longer

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2016 20:57 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2016 22:50
I use Heroku: [href]heroku.com[/href]

You can host on Heroku for free, it's fantastic if you're looking to have control over the backend of your site and have something simple to set up. So er, perhaps not an alternative to Wix or Weebly. But it makes set up for things like Ruby, PHP, Python, Node.js and a few other things quite straight forward and I like using their Heroku Toolbelt on my system, which gives me console access to the server, I have tried other host that give me console access, have been somewhat buggy or annoying to work with or don't do what I need.

I have yet to experience any problems with them.

Although it is perhaps a little more developer orientated, but you can still set up a CMS, like Joomla on there: http://aerendir.me/2014/07/13/deploying-a-joomla-cms-website-to-heroku/

ARK sometimes turns me into a terrible person. I can pick up some things with my Argent, I picked up a raptor, saw a couple of sharks, dropped it and they ate it. Then found a deer, thought I'd do the same thing, lucky git managed to swim to safety only just narrowly missing death:

Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2016 12:54
So in a few months time I will have officially spent over half my life as a member of this forum... now that is weird to think about.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2016 22:34
Quote: "So in a few months time I will have officially spent over half my life as a member of this forum"

In September I will have also

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2016 23:13
Quote: "So in a few months time I will have officially spent over half my life as a member of this forum"
Was that post inspired by my post a couple days ago?
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2016 23:19
Quote: "And to think it was 3 years old when I joined"

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 01:10 Edited at: 5th Jan 2016 01:13
Quote: "I once did that with the Walmart website and it was credited back after 48 hours. State will probly be longer"
Likely indeed. I called the Colorado office, and they said that they'd most likely credit the funds back to my card within a few business days, then I would be able to try again. Pft! All of this because I entered the wrong address one time. The anti fraud measures are a necessary evil though; my mom works as a customer service rep for First Bank, and she said a very large portion of the calls she receives daily are people angrily complaining that their cards got denied when they tried to suddenly make a 10,000 dollar purchase out of state, or things of that manner.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 05:33
Quote: "-- Self"

Quoting yourself, that's a good idea.
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Not me
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 05:36
Quote: "Quoting yourself, that's a good idea."

Can I quote a this instead of a Self? I don't like snakes very much, especially a Python, they have too much of a LISP

Oh god I'm sorry I typed that

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
I briefly worked on Exotreve again. It now has a text box.

320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 07:41 Edited at: 5th Jan 2016 07:41
Quote: "Quoting yourself, that's a good idea."
Likely not. When I wrote that signature, I merely intended to include what I (and some others) thought was an excellent sentence I had written. "How to format it?" I thought, and arbitrarily decided to put it in quotes, then decided again arbitrarily to cite myself as the source.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 10:56
Quote: "Can I quote a this instead of a Self? I don't like snakes very much, especially a Python, they have too much of a LISP"

You can also type "this" instead of "self". "self" is just a convention:

"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Not me
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 13:54
Quote of the day.

Quote: "Smile, you don't own all the problems in the world."

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 20:18
yoda wrote: "Can I quote a this instead of a Self? I don't like snakes very much, especially a Python, they have too much of a LISP

Oh god I'm sorry I typed that "

If you don't like pythons, you could always try an ASP

Just get yourself a good .NET to catch it with
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 21:30 Edited at: 5th Jan 2016 21:31
I "C" that your humour is "Sharp" as ever, you bring real class, though perhaps given the dad-like jokes, one might assume: you inherited it.

I deeply apologise for the quality of my humour.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jan 2016 21:39
You can see there are very few variables to my humor, and I generate my puns procedurally.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 01:58 Edited at: 6th Jan 2016 01:59
For anyone annoyed by how crap Skype has gotten lately, uninstall it (your settings will not be erased) through programs and applications and get 6.3 from here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20131214022704/http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.3.0.107.msi

You may also want to go into the settings and disable automatic updates so it doesn't constantly bug you about a new version.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 02:07
Ooh, I had auto updates disabled, and it still bugged me every day, a few times! I finally gave into the horror it is.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 02:28 Edited at: 6th Jan 2016 02:30
I miss the old msn and AOL

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 03:05
Discord is a decent replacement for group chats, but it doesn't have video calling.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 05:43
Discord is nice, but if you're concerned about privacy it's definitely not a step in the right direction. They collect and store all chat logs.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 11:03
It's too bad there isn't any good open source alternative to skype.
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2016 20:50
I have simply stopped using Skype altogether. It's never been any good, and the recent updates made me sick enough of it to just get rid of it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:45:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:45:14