Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 14:48
I think this is page! Therefore I claim it if it is!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 16:03
I claim...uhm...let me think...uhm...hold on...it's coming...aaaaaaah...i hereby claim the Ninth Planet in our Solar System. You know, the one that's still to be found.
Why?? Well...someone has to do it, right? So, why not me, eh? I will do the dirty job and claim it. I just hope there's no Heavy Metal yet on that planet. Because then i can reign supreme and teach them how to play guitar and drums and ROCK 'till dawn!
But, even if they already know Heavy Metal, i will REIGN supreme on my new Planet that still has to be found. Hmm...i'll have to give her a name......hmm...i'm calling her Planetthatstillhastobefoundus.

Planetthatstillhastobefoundus, where are you...?
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 16:40
Quote: "I just hope there's no Heavy Metal yet on that planet"

I believe that's Neptune.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 17:13
Quote: "I believe that's Neptune."

K, good to know. This means that the chance of having Heavy Metal on Planetthatstillhastobefoundus is 0.00475723976400000000457% / 3147.

Btw, for those who wanna know: the 'us' at the end of Planetthatstillhastobefoundus, i added that so that it rimes with SaturnUS or UranUS.
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 21:21
This post will not yield points
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 00:51
Behold my awesome blender level texturing skills.

"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Not me
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 01:24
That's why I've been more interested in 2D games since I suck at 3D artwork

But hey, that looks like a nifty engine! Have you been coding that from scratch?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 02:17 Edited at: 25th Jan 2016 02:18
Quote: "But hey, that looks like a nifty engine! Have you been coding that from scratch?"

From scratch? I wish! Nah, it's a new game engine called Urho3D. The engine is currently under heavy development and not many people know of it, but I've been playing around with it and it feels really nice. The software design is very modern.

It comes with its own editor like in Unity and it supports scripting in Angelscript or Lua, also accessible within the editor.

"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Not me
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 11:35
Ah yes, I remember you mentioning that some time ago. Looks interesting for sure!

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
I wonder what percentage of games have broken text because people don't realize you can't simply map each Unicode code point to its own glyph.
320x224
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 21:54 Edited at: 25th Jan 2016 21:56
> Implying games use unicode
> Implying games don't use a sane font library (like freetype)
> Implying games don't employ localization techniques
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Surely some games use Unicode and do so incorrectly. Google something like "rendering text opengl" and I'm sure some of the results will be rather sad. Doesn't FreeType only handle glyph rendering? It alone is insufficient to correctly display Unicode text.
320x224
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2016 00:41 Edited at: 26th Jan 2016 01:04
FreeType's API uses wchar_t character arrays -- so if you load a typeface that supports unicode then it will also be able to render unicode.

The problems you will run into with OpenGL (or any graphics library for that matter) is you can't simply stream the glyph bitmaps to the GPU (well you can, but that's really slow because each texture requires a state switch). You have to prepare a glyph atlas containing all of the glyphs you think you'll use. That is then uploaded to the GPU as a texture. The text you want to render is constructed by generating vertices with appropriate UV coordinates on the atlas.

The most likely cause for graphic errors when using unicode is when the glyph doesn't exist on the atlas. There are of course techniques to get around this, such as updating the atlas whenever new glyphs are found to be used. Most older implementations I've seen don't do that.

Another place where problems can arise is when the strings are encoded in one way, but the rendering process interprets them being encoded in another way. That's an issue to do with the way the game was localized and usually means the programmer is an idiot.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "FreeType's API uses wchar_t character arrays -- so if you load a typeface that supports unicode then it will also be able to render unicode."

But does it simply render glyphs or does it also handle things like combining characters, bi-directional text, and complex text layout?
320x224
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2016 02:00
After some more research, yeah, you're right. Freetype only renders fonts.

To handle the stuff you're talking about you'd have to use a layout library such as pango or Qt (QFont).
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 07:34
Pft. So little activity here.
"If you know Apple, use it. If you know Vista, ask yourself why, then use it." - Mark Cuban
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 15:31
Indeed! And i still haven't found my planet.
Actually...i'm not the one searching for my planet. They are. They are looking for my planet called Planetthatstillhastobefoundus.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 15:32 Edited at: 27th Jan 2016 15:34
Indeed! And i still haven't found my planet.
Actually...i'm not the one searching for my planet. They are. They are looking for my planet called Planetthatstillhastobefoundus.

OOOPS! Got a message that an error occured while posting previous message. So, i thought by posting again it would solve the problem, but it seems to have sent the message twice instead.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 17:16
I thought that the forums disallowed the same message in the same thread. Shouldn't that have stopped the double post?
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 17:23
I'm not sure, bud. Perhaps it's my planet that sends out a signal.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 21:53
The new forum seemn't to care as much about duplicate posts.
"If you know Apple, use it. If you know Vista, ask yourself why, then use it." - Mark Cuban
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 22:39
Quote: "seemn't "

......Try saying that out loud.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 23:02
Cement?

Or sea mint?

Sea mints would probably taste awful, imagine the taste of minty squid in your mouth.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 23:29
I seemn't to see many problems with it. Trying saying that out loud, too.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 05:05
Be proud and say it out loud!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 07:03 Edited at: 28th Jan 2016 18:54
Slowly getting there I think

[EDIT] It's a dog snake

[EDIT2] It's slowly taking shape. Still need to do a lot of refinements here and there.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 18:54
You're doing better than I would!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 18:57
Thanks!

Blender is really nice. This is the second more complex model I've made in Blender (and it's the first character I've ever modelled - up until now I've only created crappy scenes, see an earlier post), so I can really say it's not *that* hard to do once you've learned all of the tools and shortcuts and things.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 19:15
I'm a big fan of blender, the interface is fully customizable to setup however anyone wants and it has a really amazing feature set.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 20:17 Edited at: 28th Jan 2016 21:49
The feature set is mind boggling. I just learned you can use Blender as a video editing tool, and apparently it's rivalling programs like Final Cut Pro. Kind of funny.

The hard part with character modelling is getting it to look right. I really have no idea what muscles look like on dogs. Getting that right with minimal anatomical knowledge is the hardest part of this.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 01:03
One might say it really blends a lot of funcationality into one program.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 02:44 Edited at: 29th Jan 2016 05:09
So, our store manager quit today...

I think I'm really glad I got that second job as it may very soon become the primary (and perhaps only) job... if the store manager quits, that's usually not a good sign, is it?

Edit: sig testtttttttttttssssssssss
Slowly compiling code, one byte at a time.
Follow meh blague for more zany thoughts and possibly offensive programming!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 05:33
Ah.

Quote: "blague"
The spelling of this word I quite enjoy.

Also, nobody has as yet noticed my utterly terrible pun.

Also, I just restarted my PC for the first time in 3.5 months. 47 hours of up time logged.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 05:58
I saw your pun once I changed into User Ortho mode.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 06:06
Ah.
"blague" - Yodaman Jer
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 20:35
Quote: "The feature set is mind boggling. I just learned you can use Blender as a video editing tool, and apparently it's rivalling programs like Final Cut Pro. Kind of funny. "

yeah it is pretty handy even as a general sound and video editor/encoder, but it also integrates directly with the rendering output making it really easy to chroma key CG from the 3d scene/animation into video all in one package.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2016 00:37 Edited at: 30th Jan 2016 01:17
Most of the muscles are modelled. Now I just have to work on the head.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2016 04:49 Edited at: 30th Jan 2016 04:58
Blur them pixels!

Excellent work though. Muscles modeled indeed, and in great detail!
"blague" - Yodaman Jer
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jan 2016 06:10
Ok guys I'm having a bit of trouble with this...

So, I'm making my own GUI system in AGK. It's proving challenging but that's what I like about it!

Anyway, currently I am stuck on making scrollbars/sliders - How do I get a scrollbar/slide to update its value based on the movement of the mouse?

You know, you click and drag it to the right, it increases the value. You do the same in the left direction and it decreases the value, or up or down increases/decreases.

What is the formula for this and why can't I find it on Google?!

And it MUST be an offset of the position of the scrollbar/slider with the mouse position or else it won't work... hmm.... I shall try more tomorrow when I am not nearly as tired as I am now!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2016 07:08 Edited at: 31st Jan 2016 08:07
I would set it up like this (not sure if this will answer your question):

I think that's airtight... It's been so long since I have programmed. That should work; not sure if that answers your question...

Lately I have been thinking about creating a small wearable electronic watch game thingy. It comes from a slightly resparked interest I currently seem to have in EE and programming, and from the realization that I originally developed the idea for this device (which can run super simple games and programs) well before smart watches became a common reality. The interface would basically comprise an 8x8 grid of RGB LEDs (3 bit color) and a single button for input. Lately, however, my overly ambitious mind has figured that making it 16x16, giving it a touch interface (realized via small pairs of conductive skin contacts placed between LEDs and high factor transistor amplification circuits), and built in lithium ion battery rechargeable via USB port OR (the real kicker here) wireless inductive charging.
"blague" - Yodaman Jer
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2016 13:18
Can't you just update the position of the scrollbar based on the difference in pointer position since previous frame?

That code snippet handles left/right, for up/down just replace 'X' with 'Y'
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jan 2016 14:55
Ah, in my sleep deprived brain I forgot to mention that I haven't had a problem getting the scrollbar to move, but it's the fact that it stores a value, from say 1 to 10, and I can't get it to update said value easily.

This is my code so far...

Let's say that scrollbar/slider in particular controls the sound volume. So, dragging it to the right would increase the value, dragging it to the left would decrease. This is the line that I am specifically having trouble with:
s.curValue = s.scrollbar.xPos / s.maxValue

That kinda works, but it doesn't take into account the width of the scrollbar track, or the position of the scrollbar. It only works if the size of the slider is 100, and positioned at x0. So... how do I fix that
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline

You'll also need

320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2016 19:43
Linear function to the rescue! (?)

Assuming your slider position ranges from 1 to 10, and you want the final value it controls to range from 0 to 100, your Y intercept would be -1 and your slope would be 100/9. Your function, thus, would be volume=((100/9)*slider_pos)-1.
"blague" - Yodaman Jer
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 00:34 Edited at: 1st Feb 2016 00:38
Quote: "
Lately I have been thinking about creating a small wearable electronic watch game thingy. It comes from a slightly resparked interest I currently seem to have in EE and programming, and from the realization that I originally developed the idea for this device (which can run super simple games and programs) well before smart watches became a common reality."

https://www.google.com/search?q=zelda+game+watch&oq=zelda&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i39j0l2.1774j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=Duo8BU6flzTqRM%3A

Nintendo beat you to it, I had one of these in 1989. They had Mario and a few other games as well
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 05:24 Edited at: 1st Feb 2016 07:19
Ah! Too many pixels though. And no wirelessly rechargeable lithium ion batteries or conductive skin touch inputs! Neat contraption though. Hmm, I should incorporate wireless infrared communication into the watch as well so it can network with other watches... My brain does this, once I get an idea for something that's already likely difficult to create, it decides that making it even more complex would be best.

You know what's crazy? I finally restarted my computer a couple days ago for the first time in 3.5 months, and while there was nothing in particular wrong with the computer before the restart, it's like a brand new install now. Everything is just faster and more responsive and smoother. I guess it isn't crazy, but it sure is neat and nice.
"blague" - Yodaman Jer
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 16:46
Rise of the Tomb Raider...is...SOOOOOOOOO FREAAAAKING AAAAAAAAAAAAWESOOOOMMEE!!

Just started playing it last night, but i love it already! Those details, the atmosphere, those cool fx, the gameplay...just awesome!!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 18:48
Got my scrollbars working with code from a suggestion in a thread in the AppGameKit board.

Not that I don't trust you guys of course, but I got a response over there faster than I did here

Ok it's off to work I go. Don't follow me. That would be weird and creepy.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
I wonder if this Skype emoticon is inspired by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWJE0x7T4Q&t=3m25s
320x224
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 20:57
I spilled a whole cup of coffe directly on my laptop 2 days ago and didn't have a way to unplug the battery or turn it of so I had to drive home to get a screwdriver to open it and unplug the battery. I was sure it would be broken but after letting it dry for 2 days I turned it back on today and it doesn't seem to have taken any kind of damage at all.
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 23:28:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 23:28:26