Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Night Fall

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 08:08
well it was an experiement on just trying to be creepy i'll work on a more oldie one in a min, hopefully i can combine old & creepy cause most old films like that have really boring text.

I had a problem for a while trying to figure out the background, because if you placed anything there it ruined the scene really and hid the writing. (^_^) me sure to figure it out though

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 15:29

probably still to modern looking... but i checked out alot of the old movie covers and they're all kinda colour cartoony with some standard Bold Arial at an Angle or Oozing, i just can't figure how to make them look less tacky. Ho well

i made the face in photo itself from that girl piccy, but kinda added a bit to it

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 15:47
Hmmm, that sorta centralises the plot around the little girl.

How about keeping it clean and simple. I mean if you had a jet black silouette of the house against a moonlit sky, maybe a zombi silouette too (but nothing obvious), then the title underneath in white, but maybe a gothic style font (but old), maybe small letters spaced out would be a nice touch. It need'nt be full screen, just a strip that can be pasted halfway up perhaps.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 16:52
yeah perhaps ... i'm not sure cause i really don't know much about what randi wants cept Zombie + this little girl Zombie - i know there is a house but she wants to design it so i don't know what the outside looks like yet.

I think perhaps just the house with a creepy tree by the side, just a 2 floor thing with the second being inside the loft - like those cabin shacks they have in alot of the american horror films.
Etched in the side of the cabin could be the name or just have it to the side in the big white letters.

reason for the centralisation is cause as she specifically wants this little girl which actually looks more like a spirit to me than a zombie, plus she has kinda victorian clothes on - well that kinda maybe made me thing that perhaps its her little cabin or something that she's spookin' i dunno i'm just really having some fun wilst in between sorting out the animation rigs and such.

Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I like the graveyard, it looks good.

But there is still the problem with the flashing white. It makes it hard on the eyes for any length of time. Maybe you could make it intermittent (spelling)? ^_~

Also, if you want to use the girl, why not use spot colour in the title.......Like this:

And then only use red for blood in the game.

(If you want to use the pic above just change the text.)

I must admit you have made me look at an old game mock-up I was doing sometime ago while I was learning DarkBasic. It was based on a Zombie game too.... This is one of the pics I used for theme design:

I`ll have to dig it out now! ^_^.

Ta ta for now
Mary

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
There are some good ideas and artwork there. Looks like the game is using a lot of actual material from the film, which I think isn't necessary with the talent available on here. I think you could use red in the title, not sure about the green, maybe a not so obvious green, like grey with a hint of green. Maybe the green, and red could be used in the game graphics..Red blood..a hint of green on the models. Just some ideas!
randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 18:30
The game is not centered around the girl.
That is just the first zombie I made.
Actually, the girl is going to be a surprise at the end of the game when you are in the house.

@ Angeleyes
That first picture has "Old Scary Movie" written all over it!!!
I really like that one.
Two things though...
Like I said, the game is not about the little girl.
And 2nd, it has to be in Black & White.
I can't have a color title then go into black & white.
It has to be like you just started watching an old movie.

Randi
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 23:27

better?

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 01:18
"Actually, the girl is going to be a surprise at the end of the game when you are in the house."

Not much of surprise now is it lol

@raven: I'm not sure about that hand, i doesn't look right for some reason, might just be the shading or something. But your previous pics were brill though

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 01:25
yeah my drawing was dodgy, i can't find my eraser and its hard drawing with your right and trying to use it to also refference lol
the thing that makes it look really off are the ring & middle fingers, they're just so bad

thats more of a template anyways - i'll make a Cgr hand for the actual picture then just gloss over as if it were a drawn image in photo

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 05:07
Personally, I still like the first pic the most. Did the job for me, for sure. I'm sure Randi has an image of how she wants the project to go though, so its just a matter of getting on the same wave length. I've always found that's best achieved with either a fight, a drink, or a shag, or a combination of those three.

Machine: P4 2200, 1GB RAM, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum
http://www.breakbeat-terrorism.co.uk
(It's not all about the coding)
randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 09:13
HMMMM.... How to reply to that post Fallout...

Well I don't like to fight, and I really don't drink.
As far as 'shag' goes, I would take it that it means sex.
Well... I am 5'9"(tall girl), 140lbs, long legs, and I own a black latex rubber outfit. You do the math.
Maybe that is too much info.

Any way...
Simple is better when it comes to a title screen. That is why I like Marys'.

Randi
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 11:14
well... 5'9" ... subtract long legs ... carry the latex ... multiply it being black... to the power of being thin ...
OMG! (interesting though hehee)

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 11:25
Attractive.
Sexy.
Wears rubber.
Uses DB.

Why can't I meet women like that! - my girl get confused switching the damn PC on!.

Van-B

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Mary's looks good, it's simple, maybe you could start off with a colour title that fades to B/W gradually.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 12:06
Nah, that'd be too obvious, I like the intro the way it is, very reminiscent of sitting watching educational film reels in primary school.

Maybe a projector effect would be cool - like at the start, put in the 5,4,3,2,1 you often see with reeled film. When the player dies, it'd be awesome if the film reel came undone, like skewed to the side with a render of the scene on the film, but scrolling all the time and sliding off the screen.

Van-B

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah that would be good!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 13:19
Well I don't like to fight
Me neither. I've never been confronted though. Harder than a granite gorrila, me (I wish).

and I really don't drink.
I think the saying goes, an Englishman's castle is his pub. Or maybe I editted that slightly, but you get me. You already know I have an intererst in another stimulant, which incidentally leads me on to ....

Well... I am 5'9"(tall girl)
Tall ... useful in the shower.
140lbs
Light ... also useful in the shower.
long legs
Once again, useful in the shower. Uncanny this.
and I own a black latex rubber outfit.
Did that come with a gimp mask?
You do the math.
hahaha. I'm laughing here. I think I've been doing the math for quite a while.
Summary of Randi: Rubber randi. Favours the shower.

lol. Sorry, I used my imagination to draw my own conclusions there. Btw, just to keep this vaguely on topic, when are we going to see the next Night Fall demo?

randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 18:22
"Rubber Randi"
OH NO!! What did I start?
:-s
To be honest I don't wear it very often. Like maybe once a year, just for fun.

"Nah, that'd be too obvious, I like the intro the way it is, very reminiscent of sitting watching educational film reels in primary school.

Maybe a projector effect would be cool - like at the start, put in the 5,4,3,2,1 you often see with reeled film. When the player dies, it'd be awesome if the film reel came undone, like skewed to the side with a render of the scene on the film, but scrolling all the time and sliding off the screen."

We are on the exact same page Van.
I have that 'count down' some where, I just need to find it.
I also want it to start with the sound starting off slow and picking up to proper speed.
Not sure how to do it yet though.

I was also thinking about the film breaking or stopping and getting that burn when you die.

Randi
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 18:38
Ahh, the humming/ticking sound, you could make it go faster and faster by using a time delay and 2 seperate waves. Also - once the game starts you could fade it out very slowly, that way the player won't notice it's gone, they'll think they got used to it . I'll knock up some code for the projector sound if you like, had more experience than most with sound in DB. I think I know a good way to do the broken reel trick too, the burn would be pretty difficult, unless you (or someone) can draw the burn animation by hand then just paste it onto the screen.

Van-B

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 19:31
"Rubber Randi"
OH NO!! What did I start?
:-s
To be honest I don't wear it very often. Like maybe once a year, just for fun.

haha. It's all fun and games to me.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 19:43
btw ...

I also want it to start with the sound starting off slow and picking up to proper speed.
Not sure how to do it yet though.

Surely "set sound speed" would do the job? That's exactly what would happen on a real life film reel. You just need to start something really simple like:

(assuming sound is 44khz)
Load sound "ambientsound.wav",1
set sound speed 1,1
for x=2 to 44000
set sound speed 1,x
next x

Obviously you can totally restructure that to work in your code, so in your main loop or whatever, you could handle the variable incremetation yourself without using a for loop, but in essense that should do the job. Its pretty simple, so I'm wondering whether I read you right.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 22:19
Well, I reckon setting the speed would'nt be very authentic because the click sound would change pitch - your as well spending some time on it because it's a nice way to set the atmosphere and increase the illusion of an old dusty film reel.

Van-B

Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Randi....

Hey I will do you the picture in B/W and in Grays with the words "NightFall" on it ok.

IF you want a diff face......Well I can do something like this too:

This is just a mock-up for you but you get the idea. ^_^.

Ta ta for now
Mary

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 00:24
Van B, I'm not so sure about that. First off, surely the wind up time is going to be a matter of a second at the most. You dont get old films taking more than a very short time to wind up. If you make it last too long, it'll just sound tacky and forced. Secondly, the clicking sounds are generally imperfections in the vinyl/media and therefore would be at a lower pitch as the sound is winding up as they are also played slower.

I would suggest changing the sound speed should be more than adequate seeing as, in essense, it is exactly what occurs in real life when the media spins up.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 00:31
Hmmm, as far as I remember, the clicking is in sync with the frame rate of the film, so there's a bright frame and a click, at something like 10 fps. I'll knock up so code to test it.

Van-B

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 02:27
Just emailed Randi a demo, I have it doing what I said and it feels pretty authentic to me.

Van-B

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 02:36 Edited at: 26th Jun 2003 02:38
The idea is to slow down the sound when the film breaks as well isn't it. So that loop thing would be ok if used with a timer for faster computers.

I'm talking about a Zombie moaning here....Slooooooowinnng Dowwwwwn!

Pincho.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 03:13
But the film and sound are in sync, surely, because they're on the same media. Mind you, I'm not sure whether you're thinking about the shutter sound or crackling on the audio output.

lol - what a discussion though. Like it really matters!

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 05:35
Personally out of all the screenshots I've seen for the titles, I liked Raven's first one.It really set the mood for me, but that's just my opionion so choose which you like randi.

(My 500th post)

2D Fighting game in Progress
randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 06:10
I did not know that sound had a speed command.
I would think that would do the trick.
I am at my teaching job right now, or my teaching assistant job I should say, so I can not check my email for Vans code.

@ Mary (Angeleyes)
I think you should do a title like the first one, because that was so perfect for an old scary movie.
But.. I think you should use a different picture than the one of the girl.
I just don't want to use the one from the movie.
It's ok as a texture, you would never know.
But for a title, I wouldn't want to.
You could use the girl in your new picture, or even a graveyard scene.
Just do the same style as the one I like, with that font.
If it is a font, you may have just drawn that.

Randi
Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok Randi, leave it to me girlfriend. ^_~

Ta ta for now
Mary

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 07:38
For this kinda game you need to keep it short, simple, and spooky.
Just use the same kinda effect on this as in the game, maybe make it shake a bit, and you got a yourself a title.

Copy and Paste
http://mattallread.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nightfalltitle.jpg

Not much but it does fit, however for a box art I would probably do something like the above.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 08:43 Edited at: 26th Jun 2003 08:47
@ Arrow
Ok... It has to be a little more than a black screen with Night Fall on it. Plus that font doesn't look old or scary.
Here is what is there now, and it does already shake a little.
But I think with some of Mary's art work it will look great.

@ Van B
I got your projector test.
I am off work tomorrow and I will look for this CD with the count down numbers on it. They are very good and have the test pattern on them and the line that rotates around.
The clicking needs to be a better click, but the code works.
Now the film strip sliding off...
That was with out a doubt brilliant!
It could be a little faster, but besides that I love it.
It will also need to grab the image of what they were watching of course.

Randi
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 13:57
The media was just to test it, I spent a good half hour looking for a projector sound, could'nt find one so ended up using any old click sound . It should'nt be to difficult to change the reel slide effect to suit yourself, like the step in the for next loop will change the speed, changing the angle etc can be faster, and getting it to use the screenshot from the game would'nt be too tough. Let me know when your implimenting it and I'll help out. I suggest just grabbing the screen and pasting it onto the test image before running the effect.

Van-B

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 14:22
Ahhh, sound effects. If its a real world sound, you should make it yourself! Definitely get the best results that way. Theres no end to the amount of sounds you can record when you run around your house hitting saucepans and flicking rulers. lol I should know - I do it for every song I write!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 14:54
Hehe, I was thinking that! - but my PC is hidden behind the couch and my mic is a cheapo desktop one . Projecters have a very destinctive sound, and replicating it would be difficult - maybe sampling a projecter from a DVD would work - I have Shawshank Redemption, there's projecters in that, unfortunately I have no DVD on my PC .

Van-B

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 15:36
if you can get someone who knows CoolEdit, i've seen people produce some bloody outstanding things whilst i've been in the sound studio around that... however that said i have a projector here (only a small 30mm thing) if you want i could see about trying to record the sound of it.

if i goto all that trouble it'll take a while cause i'll be watching some charlie chaplin reels (god how weird do i sound all of a sudden, probably not as weird as if i actually wake Alexis up and she comes in to see me watching a movie on the big white wall lol)

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 16:24
And surprise and surprise. What have we here? Me? A very experienced user of Cool Edit Pro 2???? Surely not? hehe.

I've only got a shitty £10 sawn neck mic also, but with cooledit, you can make the noisiest lowest quality vocal recording sound like the sweet harmonic voices of a choir of angels. It's definitely the mutts.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 16:45
Cool Edit is a lovely wave editor, I used to have it, then it stopped running on my machine for some reason. I loved the way you could alter the pitch accurately, I'd spend ages sampling and pitch changing to make tunes in the first version of Music Maker.

I'm sure if Raven samples it, Fallout could clean it up to make the perfect sound . Hehe, I doubt Randi is that fussy about the projecter sound, but at least nobody can say we do things by half!.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 18:22
ok i just got this freaky vision of a fmv with teh girl, liek u can have the player open a door a bit then it cuts to fmv where the girl appears when u open teh door and loud horn music! RAAAAR! freaky, or even just have the girl sitting in a chair in teh middle of a room,and have a cut scene where she says, "it puts the lotion on and puts it in the basket." that would just be realy wierd.but with an element of scary . also oyu want fear factor? try throwing in sanity effects like in eternal darkness, like maybe playing voices behind the player so they turn around and go wtf? but not having anything there. Also its been an idea of mien for yonks to be able to put in ur name and have a database of voices saying different names and if yours matches then add it into differnt voice samples. eg my name is robert so at teh start game screen id put my name in as robert. then that reads from a file of common names and finds robert, so whenever a voice behind the player is played it will say robert in like a spooky voice. kinda makes the game more atmospheric and freaky if u can involve the user in it. but ofcourse you would hae a limited choice of names, eg john, smith, robert and other common names :S

yay i got db going again, now i can work on all these isometric games
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 23:22
oki i've recorded the sound... unfortunately i couldn't find my 30mm so the one thats sampled is of an old portable 8mm player
perhaps add some bass slow it a little to make it deeper not so metalic

Sample if that doesn't work i'll create a topic in my forum for it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 23:23
oki if you play it, then it'll buffer it totally into your temp internet directory

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 01:11
Hmm, it sounds a little too scratchy. If you ever beat Xenogears there's a great projector sound near the end. Once I get my capture card working again I'll see if I can get it.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 01:36
well somehow i doubt thier going for a brand new projector, the point is to make it sound old and scratchy.

this 8mm is like from the 1920's i swear to god thats how old this thing is lol it'll be an authentic sound just needs to be bassed out a little to sound like a full on projector i think (^_^)

randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 02:08 Edited at: 27th Jun 2003 02:09
That is really scratchy, but it would work.
You could probably play with it some to make it more recognizable.
Deeper would be good.

Randi
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 03:12
I played about with it a bit. Upped the sample rate to 44100. Did a frequency analysis and took a snippet which can be looped without it noticably sounding like a loop. Also removed clipping and made it seemless so it loops round properly. Did some EQing to give it a little more low frequency (tried resampling, but that sounds cack). Added subtle 2 voice chorus width-ways to give it some stereo. I did a touch of volume dynamics to make it more defined with punchy clicks, but to be honest the type of noise is makes it very hard to emphasise that sort of data. If I strip out the back ground and just leave the clicks, it sounds very very off.

I'll upload what I've done. I must stress, I've never worked on a sound like this before. No offense to Raven because I believe this is genuinely exactly how the equipment sounds, but I personally would never sample this sort of sound for my music because its just too messy to work with. My advise it pretend its a DVD movie instead and use a sound for that! hehehe.

http://www.kontact-kru.com/projector.zip

The difference in zip file size and original file size is a testament to the noise ratio of the sound.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Hogs of War has the perfect sound for this if you can sample it with something.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 05:26
the sounds you hear in movies are oftenly from not 30mm but 75mm Cinema Projectors which now also use more plastic in them than the old projectors - which is why the sound is so tinney and scratchy on mine as opposed to clicky.

there is also the pure difference in size between a 75mm (which is about the size of a 21" montior and this dinky hand held project which is about the size of 2 video tapes

fallout try to pad out the base so that actually recluses to more of a background hum, try to isolate on of the updown pitchs and slow it down about 200% and make it's bass more defined but keep its volume the same. That should reproduce a better sound.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 14:46
try to isolate on of the updown pitchs and slow it down about 200% and make it's bass more defined but keep its volume the same.

I'm not Paul Daniels! hehe. Besides, there was no bass frequencies in any of those impact sounds. The only bass was kind of a background noise which I assume came from the motor sound, so when I tried to bring it through, it was more of a hum.

I'm sure that sound could be tweaked and tweaked until it was much better, but I'm not gonna do it. If a highly defined quality projector sound is so important, then I think it'd be better to go and find/make a sound closer to the one you want first.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 15:28:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 15:28:59