Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [LOCKED] BLUE Graphical User Interface Plugin Release - Windows Gadgets in your apps

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 19:24 Edited at: 4th May 2004 17:10
The BLUE Graphical User Interface plugin for DarkBASIC Professional has been released.

I decided to take the half-way house on the price and charge £7.50 (3 beers in a pub, or half a DVD )

For more information, samples, screenshots and ordering, please visit BLUE Software's website: http://blue.robert-knight.net

Update Information: The current version of BlueGUI is version 1.045. Registered users can download the updates from the website.

Current Gadgets:

- Buttons
- Edit Boxes
- Labels
- Panels
- Textareas
- Checkboxes
- Radiobuttons
- Imagebuttons
- Flatbuttons
- Images
- Windows
- Tables
- Folders
- Explorers (Internet Browser)
- Flash Animation Player
- Group Boxes
- Listboxes
- Comboboxes
- Progress bars
- Scrollbars
- Popup Menus
- Treeviews
- Tabs

- 130 commands in total
- Windows XP themes support
- Low-level message processing for advanced users

More information is also available in the post on the beta announcements forum.

If you have any ideas for gadgets you would like to see in the plugin, wish to report and bugs or have any other issues, email me at thundermonkey5@hotmail.com or me@robert-knight.net

I strongly recommend that you read the Readme doc and the Intro / Principals document (principles.html in the attached help files) before using the plugin.

I am selling it through ShareIT, the same people who sell DarkBASIC.

I hope this provides for all your user interface needs

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 19:26
There are two new undocumented commands as well:

CAPTURE DBP WINDOW and RELEASE DBP WINDOW

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 21:55
hi rob

CAPTURE DBP WINDOW and RELEASE DBP WINDOW
what do these commands do

dave

just trying to learn
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 21:57
They take the DBP window and put it inside a gadget. See Puffys pics in the BLUE GUI plugin thread in the Beta forum for an example.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 22:04
Also - here is an example of the code. This is the code for the net browser app:

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 22:43
Rob K,

Me again... Will your GUI launch a specific Load/Save File selector type box as with other Windows apps as a Gadget or do you have to design your own version (albeit being far easier with your GUI)???

ie. how easy is it to do with your GUI?
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 00:04
veery nice Just ordered

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 00:55
@Duffer

It launches the same file selector box that you find in other applications. The code to launch a file selector would be, for example:

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 02:01
Gonna order later on but have couple more queries:

Presumably you will be updating files regularly but once I've received files how to get updates/patches? Will you email registered users automatically?

When I load your matrix example of your website, create a new matrix, and then maximize window, it maximises bits of the gadets, then completely hangs windows! Have to physically reboot. Why is this!!!

R Tape loading error
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 02:03
@ Rob K,

Top.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 02:37 Edited at: 10th Jul 2003 02:47
@sonic

1. I will post updates on the website in password protected zip format - registered users will be given a password to download these updates.

2. I haven't been able to replicate it on my XP PC, so it must be a system issue. Can I ask what OS & gfx card you have, and whether or not this happens all the time or if the issue is sporadic?

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 12:42
RobK - have you recieved confirmation of my order yet? Cos I ordered last night through Shareit! and was told it would be around 4 hours, haven't heard back yet, not even a waiting confirmation Annoying cos I'd kinda like this asap, I'm making an app at the moment and it could save me some time!

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 13:12
Rob K, tested loads of time on my laptop, P4 2.53G, XP home, Radeon mobility 9000, 256mb ram.

Will test tonight on my other pc's which have various combinations of XP, 98, Geforce4, matrox, e.t.c. Weird as it only happens AFTER you create a matrix. it will quite happily maximise on first loading. I'll let you know around 7pm when I get home.

Can't even do a screengrab as whole system freezes, not even ctrl-alt-del works.

R Tape loading error
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 14:21 Edited at: 10th Jul 2003 14:22
@Kangaroo2

Sorry, I haven't had confirmation of your order yet. I've processed about 5 so far, but none from "Sam Jones". I think there must have been a problem with processing the sale because when I did a test order, I got a confirmation email 5 minutes later. Please contact ShareIT (http://www.shareit.com)

@Sonic

In which case it may not be an issue with the plugin, perhaps DBP may not, in rare cases, like resizing the window.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 14:59 Edited at: 10th Jul 2003 15:09
Sorry man I'm having problems with Shareit I think its some problem with my credit card being in my wifes name, I don't know, it just gives me a security error I know there's cash on it , any chance you could email me your address and I could just send you cash? I'd really like this soon, not to have to wait around for shareit to get their act together!

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 14:59
My plugin will be released... I'd say in about a week... maybe less... ^_^ hope you guys buy it too... would make me feel all warm inside...

EVERYONE LOVES THE PUFF!... =\
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 15:25
Kangaroo, no problems, just emailed you.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 17:19
Note to everyone who has ordered so far:

There is a mistake in the documentation for CREATE GADGET WINDOW, the syntax should read:

CREATE GADGET WINDOW GadgetID,style,caption$,child

If the child parameter is 1 then the window will be created as a child (inside) the main DBP window, if it is 0, the window will be created outside / independantly of the main DBP window.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 17:48
Ah...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 18:35
Wow, I must have a look at this. I have a good idea about a project based on this. Knowing me it'll never get finished

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 18:39 Edited at: 10th Jul 2003 19:27
[q answered]

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 21:12
I've ordered!

with regards to the problem I told you about earlier.

On my pc with Athlon XP2000, Geforce4 Ti4600, XP Home, everything perfect.

On my laptop with P4 2.53, Radeon mobility 9000, XP Home, everything working, except your matrix demo with certain numbers. If I create a matrix of 1000 by 1000 and 20 by 20 tiles = ok. If I up tiles to 40 by 40 = ok. It's only when I goto 50 * 50 then it crashes. I do a lot of matrix stuff with huge matrices and these do not crash. When XP restarts it says the graphics driver is at fault. Fujitsi hasn't released any new radeon drivers yet and new catalyst drivers cannot be installed on laptops. But someone has figured out how to bodge the install and make them install. I'll try that.

On My W98, P3 500, Matrox MGA400, everything works but get lots of access violations trying to read address FFFFFFFF

R Tape loading error
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 21:27
@ Rob K,

Hi Rob,

I ordered BlueGUI last night. Have had the three ShareIt emails and email from you but no attachment!!! shock horror!!!

Have emailed you a reply to your email.... pls send again as soon as you read this!!!

Ta v much,

Duffer aka. Niall.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 21:51
I oredered this morning. ShareIt have emailed but no toolkit yet, but I suppose it could take up to 2 days.

If I could get it before Saturday then that would be great else I'd have to wait after my holidays

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 22:11
Hey Rob,

I downloaded three of your test apps to see what the interface was like. The Matrix Editor instantly crashed with an access violation when I ran it. The Tables demo, however, worked nicely, and I was very pleasently surprised when it ran an mp3 of mine when I double-clicked it.

When I tried to go back to the window, however, all hell broke loose. I got 3 access violation errors at once, and when I closed those 6 more appeared. I tried to shut the tasks down, but the task seemed to be duplicating itself (?)-- there were 6 'tables' and 6 'TABLES' in the task manager and my computer was seriously slowing down. I narrowly avoided a crash by closing all the tasks at once.

D'you know what's going on here? I had absolutely nothing running in the background save the normal tasks, I'm on 98SE.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 23:07
Mouse, that's exactly what happens on my old Win98SE system with the matrix demo. Get all sorts of access violations and loads of 'tables' in taskbar.

R Tape loading error
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 23:38
Thanks mate You should have got my reply now

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 00:54
@Kangaroo

Just replied

@Sonic

I will set myself up a Windows 98 system over the weekend to test and resolve these issues. Previously I only had Windows 95, and DBP doesn't run on that so I set myself up an app which calls DLL functions, which obviously doesn't mimic DBP closely enough.

I have just received and processed your order.

Please be aware that I personally dispatch the plugins - so they won't appear instantly in your mailbox, but I endeavour to send them out on the same day.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 01:19
Just got your email Rob K, woohoo!! All unzipped and ready to go. Trouble is, it's been a VERY hot day and I've downed a few bottles of Stella and am currently watching the film 'seven' on TV. Looks like I'll play with it tomorrow night and over the weekend.

I'm not too bothered it don't work in W98 but I think Mouse is!

Hopefully that matrix problem is just a radeon driver problem. Will have a go at updating driver tomorrow.

Goodnight!

R Tape loading error
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 01:56
@ Rob K,

Have now received the GUI and it looks brilliant -

Can I use your GUI in conjuction with your Menus .dll??? or is there some way to run menus through the GUI through Popups?

However, I've got W98SE as well so I pray to every God that it's gonna work...

I'll watch for a W98 patch... (if necessary)
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 01:58
Regardless, I am currently installing Windows 98 on a spare machine (I have quite a few hidden away) - It should just about be able to cope with W98. The thing I hate about that OS is its non-existant memory protection. When an app crashes in XP, just close it, change the code and run it again. Under 98 it'll crash after doing this for the 10th time.

Ah well... such is life.

Forgot about se7en on TV, I'm off to watch it

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 04:36
Right... please be aware that there are problems with Windows 98 at the moment, I am working to try and fix these asap, but I don't think it will be a five minute job.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 05:11
o_O Oh god... uh I'm going to need someone to help testing my app... Win98 would be nice... =\ if your having problems rob I should check it out now hehe... ...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 12:17
Got it! Thanks so much. This hsould hopefully provide what I need for my project.

For ages (actually coming up to a year now) I@ve wanted to do a version of VB6 in some language.

I've tried with VB but all the api calls to get resizable controls were too hard. Hopefully I can create an interface designer in DB.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 12:26
Hmmm. Oh dear.

I@ve tried to run any examples. Firstly, the init codes were missing so I added them to the setup gui command. But, then I got an compile error: "Could not create ....\dbp_program.exe".

I hope this has nothing to do with the plugin, but I have my doubts.

Also, the first "Create Gadget Window" in the windows example has the last parameter missing.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 12:30
o_O Hey what version of windows are you running?

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 12:31 Edited at: 11th Jul 2003 12:34
Wow, this is weird. I've not created a new porject and gradually copied across your example source code (windows.dba) - it works. There ust be something funny about the example?

Wel its an issue to be aware of anyway.

Edit: After opening windows.dbpro and it failing to compile, it seems there is something funny about that project.

Edit (2): I can't get any other examples to work, but when copying source code into a new project they work fine!

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 12:48
@David

Weird indeed.

CREATE GADGET WINDOW GadgetID,style,caption$,child

Is the correct syntax for the release DLL version I believe. Child = 1 effectively just calls SET PARENT GADGET GadgetID,0 after it creates the window.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 13:31
^_^ Plz email me rob...

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 13:37
Sorry Puff, I'm pretty occupied debugging atm. Keep nagging me and I will remember.

Kangaroo alerted me to a bug in DELETE GADGET.

Please use the following code to ensure that gadgets get deleted correctly.

function TempDeleteGadget(GadgetID)
ch=Gadget Handle(GadgetID)
DELETE GADGET GadgetID
SEND MESSAGE ch,16,0,0
endfunction

Look out for an update over the next few days.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 14:29
=\ Oh you will be nagged...

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 17:06
@ Rob K,

What is the eta for the W98 patch - sorry to pester but I'm desperate for a working version and you did say you wouldnt publish til W98 probs resolved... I dont mind as long as it's soon...?

Pls say it will be... [b])
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 17:32
o_O I still need someone to help test mine...

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 17:47
@Duffer

It will be as soon as possible but I cannot give an ETA, the bugs are proving hard to fix. I'd say next Tuesday. I'm sorry for the delay on this.

You were primarily after the Open / Save dialogs? I'll get those sorted as a priority.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 18:10
*NAG*

Shady Simpson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 19:12
I've only one problem so far, and it's quite big.

In my Editor folder there's no folder named keywords.

Any reason why that could be?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 19:31
@ Rob K,

No worries. As long as those bugs are fixable! I'll wait for next Tuesday and maybe - you never know - you'll manage to sort it sooner - stranger things have happened...

Duffer.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 19:51
@Duffer

Something strange HAS just happened. I've got everything working a lot better now.

The actual change necessary to the code was very small, however it was very hard to find. Its one of those things where nothing appears to be wrong where the problem actually is, but there are all sorts of problems elsewhere.

If I email you the updated DLL (you are Niall Edwards - correct?) - can you test it and let me know if it works for you.

The only issue remaining is that the FOLDERS gadget does not work under 98, however I could possibly substitute a 3.1 style gadget in for that.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 20:10
Win98 Users please download the updated samples from the website and let me know if they work for you:

http://blue.robert-knight.net

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 21:11
@ RobK,

Never doubted you...

Yes, I am Niall Edwards and I'm ready and raring to test the beta of the patched GUI... Quite happy with the W3.1 style folders if the others wont work...

In the meantime, I'll go test those updated samples...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 21:31:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 21:31:28