Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
AWESOME Obese! Great to have you back!

@Mofo
Would be glad to have you on the team. You say you need help getting started, check out TDK's tutorials, they are very well written. As far as joining goes, try your hand at making an analog clock. Note, this is an analog clock and not a digital clock, so it needs to have hands. If you have trouble, we have pretty much all made one so we can help you out.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2009 15:11
YAYS! Welcome back, Obese!

~QJ
darkend
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok hello guys, two things i want to say:

i am dying to join this group but i guess im still learning the basics from hands on DarkBASIC pro volume (just done functions!) and secondly jumping into a 3d game for your third project? for me it dosnt seem that sensible, prehaps trying several generes of 2d style games!(btw i use and have DarkBASIC Pro but i also have classic, though it wouldent be sensible to learn classic since i know to much of pro(and not to mention its not nice to me!))

So i would love to join later on but im put of by the fact of going into a complex 3d style game

VortexGames.com coming soon!!!
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 06:55
i would gladly host this on my forum if you need more space, it is unlikely anybody wants to go through these 18 pages to find what they want..

also the entry snippet is too hard especially for those with little to no maths skill.

heres the forum http://mixengine.boardzero.com/forum.html

i will also make it so that unregistered users can post in there so that they dont have to have multiple accounts...
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@darkend
It isn't 3d, it is 2d, similar to the original zelda games. If you want to join that would be great! The idea is to learn!

@lucifer
Thanks for the forum space. For the entry snippet, the idea wasn't so much to see if they are up to par, it was to see where they are. If they don't know the math, we WANT them to ask questions.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 07:25
did you want it, if you do i will set it up and make a group for the people that do want to register, and i will make someone from here a moderator of that forum..
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Technically speaking, I am not the "owner" of the team. So let me get some other opinions before we do it. The only problem is that by moving the discussion away from these forums, people won't see the thread as it moves back pages from no posting.

Great Quote:
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 07:30
interesting problem, maybe if it got a sticky then that wouldnt be a problem.

i just realized how your organizing this, in different threads for each project..

and i just realized this is for classic, bummer i use pro...
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
You can still join if you use pro (we have a couple people who do) you just need to make sure that the code is compilable in DBC.

Great Quote:
darkend
Years of Service
User Offline
No i dont think i will join because im to used to DBP goodluck tyough on your projects

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 17:00
@darkend
the code is so similar its really easy to go from one to the other, unless your using the really advanced commands of
Pro, everything else is present is DB, with maybe a variable change here or there. But its your choice whether or not to join so its up to u.
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 23:02
Forum-wise, I believe that Obese set one up, let me look through my bookmarks.

@darkend
I am also learning the extended use through DBPro, I can translate. You can either post it here (or on the project thread if it's for the project) or e-mail it to me. (see below) Besides, I think that we said that this project was going to be made using both versions.

Speaking of which...

@Anybody
Do you want me to create a DBPro thread? If so, on newcomers or general discussion?

~QJ
That's what they WANT you to think...
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 23:19
well if theres two groups for classic and pro that would be great, i specifically would like to work in pro code and not have to translate everything...
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
We recently discussed about this, if there's enough people who wants to then a DarkNOOB DBPro group would be fine. If you have both versions and want to take part in both, that's also fine too.
darkend
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes thats a good idea =D

lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 00:17
alright im in for that..

who would like to manage the group though..
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 03:58
im in 4 both, i have Pro but am not experienced with it, but i can learn and from wat i understand its not very different from DBC
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 04:35
I finally have the internet!
No PC yet though but I'm working on that
for now I will make do with the PS3s horrible internet browser (no copying or pasting).

With regards to the idea of making an off forum site for DNG (Dark Noobs Games)
I agree with BN2 that we don't want to disconnect ourselves from the DBC community so we should keep general discussion about the team here, but maybe there would be benefits for individual projects.

The clock challenge is a good test but maybe we could allow people to submit a digital clock if the'yre not up to making a clock face. It is pretty tricky.

The Universe has been erased by a mod because it was larger
than 240x80 pixels.
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 06:00
its not that its hard, it just requires thinking in a manner most daily life tasks dont, so to a newcomer it is difficult.
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 06:22
i will start the thread and try to manage it but im still not that good

anybody who wants to join just post there...

should i or shouldnt i??
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 07:56 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 17:18
@lucifer
Go ahead, I'll join that one too as I have both versions. You'll only learn by doing so "DO IT!". Project managers could change from one project to another so everyone has a chance to experience it.
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 08:32
i have made the new thread in the Newcomers DBPro Corner.

Any people who use DBP and want to join head on over to http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147298&b=7
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
For the DarkPro Noobs (Name needs a lot of work but I will leave it to them), post a call out on the DBP newcomers forum and see what kind of interest is there (it might be worth it to throw one in the DBPro board looking for experienced coders to help manage/lead it)

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 20:26
@OBese

Just a suggestion, you might want to change the link on the front page to link to the current proj, plus the DbPro one.

~QJ
That's what they WANT you to think...
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 22:08
sorry for my sloppy work hers my code to get in darknoobs

im new at this
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like it is all remmed out . What needs to be unremmed to make it work?

Great Quote:
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 23:34
it's not a game its just pieces of what i know.
if you would like a game with media and every thing i've got pong
but it is poorly remarked.

im new at this
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a working program that demos your knowledge. Something we can run to get an idea of where you are so that we can help you get better.

Great Quote:
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:00
if u dont really care about our "grading" you then a simple analogue (hands) clock program will get u in
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:01
alright, heres my pong game

im new at this

Attachments

Login to view attachments
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:04
about the clock thing
are you talking about a digital clock or a round clock with the hands and everything. because i can do the digital but im not sure about the round clock with hands?

im new at this
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Round clock with hands.

Great Quote:
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:12 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 02:13
the generic hint we usually end up giving everyone:

the key commands are sine and cosine, sin() and cos()
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:18
i got this from codebase and i don't really understand it.

is this the simplest way to do it

im new at this
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:21
pretty much, although u mucked up the idea, ur supposed to make ur own code using stuff u understand to give us a rough idea of how good a coder u r

and as for the simple part, not really, the dots and even the circle arent even necessary, the circle is typically used though since the command is so easy
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:29
@razer
yes analogue means... oh god I actually don't know what it means!... ROUND CLOCK!
Don't worry if you can't get the analogue part to work, the clock challenge tests a lot of things and we don't expect people to be able to do them all. Can you get the clock to display the current time? Just give it a whirl and we'll see where you're at. There's plenty of work to go round no matter what your experience.
PS it would have been curtious of you to edit your post in the project thread to say you have found the noobs thread and entering your code.

than 240x80 pixels.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:31 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 02:33
Welcome to the team razerx! Good pong game too.

I have a whole post about polar coordinates somewhere on one of our threads if you are interested.

I will give you a few pointers though.

1. Readability: Indent your code at loops and IF statements. This makes it instantly easier to read. So this:

Can become:

See how it is instantly easier to read?

Also on the topic of organization:

Using subroutines will clear the clutter in main loops and help keep it organized, with the added benefit of making your code modular, so you don't have to write the same thing twice.

So, instead of:

You could have:

It makes the code a little longer, true, but it makes it a little easier on the eyes and it makes the code more modular (you can re-use code without copying it).

3. Have 1 main loop. It appears you have 3 or more DO loops nested (one inside the other). This is a REALLY bad practice, since it can make code hard to read and debug. A fix can be something like this:

Then you just include the subroutines. Notice the labels I used here for the subroutines. s1 stands for state 1. The names themselves don't matter, so it is a good idea to do something that can be "decoded" from both the call (the GOSUB line) and the label itself.

4. Know your random commands . For instance, this line of code:
Quote: "if answer$="yes" or answer$="YES" or answer$="y" or answer$="Y""

can be changed to:

Upper$() is a command that will return the given string in all caps, so you only have to check half of the possibilities. Actually, a solution I just thought of would be to have it only check the first letter of the answer for a Y or N, so that if they can't spell and put yse instead of yes, it would still work (probably not a good idea if the game is a teach yourself spelling).

I will let you know if I see anything else, but good job! You don't give yourself enough credit.

Great Quote:
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:50
thanks for the tips and i'll work my hardest to help with the games.
And OBESE87 just to let you know my spelling and grammer stink so if you ever see me mispell just forget it.(even on this post)

im new at this
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:53
u arent the only one on the forums who cant spell, that i assure you

btw, lighten up man ur comin across kinda serious, using full display names like OBESE97 and writing out entire sentences with no abbreviation, i know its irrelevant to coding but 4 some reason it bothers me, lol
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:59 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 03:13
@Razer
you can use sine and cosine to draw a circle
try running this and you'll get the idea...

Hopefully that works

[edited, does it work now?]

than 240x80 pixels.
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:02
LOL that program is messed up try yourself @obese

im new at this
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:10
oh no what did I do? #-(

than 240x80 pixels.
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:13
hes messin with u, it works fine, nice ex
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:14 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 03:16
see when you get as experienced as me you can write programs that don't work without even testing them first

[edit]
Well I adjusted the text anyway.
it should be a dot going round and round and two dots going back and forth on their axis and the axes labelled.

than 240x80 pixels.
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:18
o, i did'n see the dot, sorry

im new at this
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, hopefully one day I can become that talented.

Oh, in case you are interested razer, here is the quick tutorial I wrote for polar math (the trig for drawing at angles and such).

It is vector math (or trig, whichever you prefer). So, here goes:

Here is a triangle:

This represents a line at 30 degrees going 10 units. The red is the Y axis difference between the starting and the ending points (the rise) and the blue is the x axis difference (the run).

Since we know (or don't know, if you don't, its true, trust me) that:

Sin=Opposite/hypotenuse

Cos=Adjacent/Hypotenuse

Tan=Opposite/Adjacent

Here Opposite is the length of the side of the triangle opposite from the angle, adjacent is the length of the side next to the angle (but not the hypotenuse) and the hypotenuse is the longest side of the triangle.

ArcSin,ArcCos,and ArcTan (the commands are asin,acos, and atan in DBC) are ways to say Angle whose _____ is ______. So if I say arctan of the triangle above, it would be: The angle whose tangent is red/blue (since red is opposite and blue is adjacent). That is how you would find the angle between the waypoint and the enemy.

Now, to explain speed*sin and speed*cos. When moving, we will say that the angle has been computed using arctan and we found it to be 30 degrees and, say 30 units away. If we can go 10 units in a step, that will take 3 steps to get there (30/10=3). That part is simple, but when you need to find the coordinates, you have to use trig.

The speed is your hypotenuse, and is 10 in this case (since the hypotenuse on the triangle is 10).

We are trying to find the length of blue and red. Since sin30=Red/speed and cos30=blue/speed. It can be found that multiplying by the speed you get these two formulas:

speed*sin(30)=red
speed*cos(30)=blue

If you haven't been exposed to trig yet, don't worry, you will be sooner or later. If you have any questions, I have been able to get a decent handle on it, so just ask.

Hope this cleared it up for you!

Great Quote:
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:24
nice tutorial, even helped me

like he said, dont worry if uve never used trig in ur life, sooner or later (especially if ur a programmer) u will, and ull learn to either loath the stuff or bless it
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:27
thanks for the help.
my trig is kind of poor but im strong in algebra.

im new at this
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:29
well, thats a start towards knowledge of mathematical programming, theres definitely some algebra in it, but trig is a major part of it
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Personally I always hated trig till I got into calculus and physics. THen I learned to love it.

Great Quote:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 13:31:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 13:31:57