Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:53
well im not even in algebra 2 yet (which comes b4 trig) but tnx to the trig intro in geometry i understand enough to get by
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 04:06
Quote: "ur comin across kinda serious"

You mean with dignity?

And anyways, I've already done trig in Geometry.

~QJ
That's what they WANT you to think...
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 04:39
on the subject of a new entry challenge, why not a calculator?

that was the first program i ever made, since it can be made so easily, just use input and if statements and thats about it

or you could go all out and make a more visual calculator, make the images, use a mouseover function, add trig or other math, string manipulation for the values and answer, etc
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 04:51
@Smartguy
That's along the right lines but the problem is most of the functions on a calculator are DB functions so it would be a bit easy to add in things like trig. Could do logarithms but I don't understand them hehe

A paint program?

can't read?
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 05:02
interesting thought, could add functions into it to do stuff like flip, rotate, or negatize (i no not a real word but u get wat i mean) the colors, im game for it
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 05:12 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 05:13
I like the paint idea. Can be simple, but offers room for expansion in the terms of opening/saving and drawing tools. Even layers if you want to go all out.

Any objections to switching the entry program to a paint like program?

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 05:21
no, lets do it
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 05:39
i like the paint program idea.anyone can make a simple dot program and if their more advanced they could make a color key or diffrent tools.

off subject
im in algebra 2

im new at this
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Multi-variable calculus ftw!

On topic:
Do those of us on the team now have to make the paint program too? I might get a little too much into it...

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah if we make the paint program the entry we all should make one too. Cant have the new guys do something we didn't do ourselves.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 07:08
There we go, I added 3 principles of the team to keep us in mind of what it's all about and stamp out any arguments (although I can't think of any argument, how civilised we all are )

@BN2
You don't have to, you are project leader so you decide who is in the team. The principles are working already

@Ashingda
I wouldnt want to halt progress on project 3 while you all make paint programs so how about we say you guys slipped through a loophole and you are members for this project but once its over you'll have to make a paint program to rejoin?
The ultimate decision is with the project manager, no sense in delaying a proven coder to get an example program out of him. but i see your point that we should be fair.

can't read?
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 16:15
Do I get to make a paint program?

~QJ
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I would say lets focus all of our available members on the project. Afterwards, if you want, you can.

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 21:02
Darn!

~QJ
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 01:31
I also like paint program.

I learned so much when I made my first paint program... *fond memories*

Time is money. I just ripped you off.
Urist McCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 01:58 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 02:01
Well, I was told to post a paint program here. This was made really hurriedly, so it's not as good as it could be.

You can draw free-form by pressing control and you can draw straight lines by pressing shift. When you draw straight lines, use the arrow keys to control it. 1, 2, 3, and 4 change speeds, 1 being the slowest and 4 being the fastest. Click on the colors to choose the color for the lines. The word "color" at the top shows your color. Press enter to be able to type text where your mouse is. Finally, space clears the screen.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 02:38
cool, btw u dont have to make an exe of it, just copy and paste the code onto a post here, highlight it, click the code button above and ur good to go, its just faster and easier than downloading and we can give suggestions on ur code
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 04:20
exes are good for me because Im not on a pc
but some people might like a code snippet too.

can't read?
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 04:38
where can the first project of darkNOOBS be found?
i've got the second one, it's really good

im new at this
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Furious pickaxe is the name. It should be both on the forums (thread name I believe is just DarkNOOBS Project 1 and in Program announcements it is Furious Pickaxe).

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 14:36 Edited at: 1st Apr 2009 14:49
Quote: "exes are good for me because Im not on a pc"

Epic confusion...

I thought that Windows was the only one that could run .EXE's.

EDIT: Just reread it. Sorry, nvm. I didn't know that PS3's could run .EXE's tho... Hmm...

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 13:47
@jim
it can't but my data stick eats them for breakfast
I have an old PC but a wireless router and havent bought a receiver yet.

can't read?
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 17:07
The receiver is for what, the PS# or the PC?

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 01:15
The PC the PS3 has an inbuilt one.
but i dont think its very good because I keep getting disconnected and can only pick up 2 networks while my dads laptop next door picks up about 10!

can't read?
gumbysmith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 02:01 Edited at: 12th Apr 2009 19:03
Well i have been trying to understand darkbasic for about 3 weeks now, gone through the basic commands a few times now, need some suggestions on a basic program to write,something easy so far all i have made might be able to use as a screen saver, lol. well here is one i have been working on, you might have to change some numbers to get it to fit your screen
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 04:46
Bumping this back from the second page... So new noobs (is that repetitive?) see it.

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 05:04
impressive gumby, especially for a three week old noob, i cant officially swear u in, thats bn2s job, but i say very nice for such a simple program in terms of code

my only problem with it is the display size, thats a little large for me, id stick with 800*600 or maybe the next size up, but no more

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who dont
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 05:53
Gumby is elite. We want you gumby.

Gumby, head over to the current project thread, (Project 3) and post there. Just say you are available, and request work.

I'm thoroughly impressed. After three weeks of dark basic, I realized suspend for key couldn't do a goto.

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 05:57
i agree, but im questioning his ability with aspects other than basic 2d, o well worst case scenario is he doesnt get anything were talking about and he learns alot which is our goal after all

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who dont
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 11:22
Hello Gumby
I didn't notice your post until Irojo bumped it!
Have a look at the first post, there's a coding challenge on there.
The challenge is to assess your skills so we can judge how much work you can handle.
There is no initiation per se, if you want to help on a project the current project leader (BN2) will try to find something for you to do.
Good Luck,

OBese87

1337 - "That's Numberwang!"
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 19:43
I don't think we need him to do the challenge thing, he already posted code, so we can see his level.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
His code is impressive, but just to keep it uniform, I would suggest doing the project. Having seen his skill with 2d, I don't think he will have trouble getting the basics done (but hey, why not go above and beyond).

@gumby
That is impressive. I would suggest (until the official, uhhh, bringing in) looking into arrays. If you don't get it (I realize you are still really new) don't worry about it, you will soon, as we use arrays A LOT (they are very useful)

Great Quote:
arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
Can I join

[link]www.kdlproductions.webs.com[link]
arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
I really want to contribute and I am actually more of a noob than I look I only barley know the absolute basics of 3D game programming. The best I can do with no reference is a 3D program that allows you to move around an object in 3D space and color the backdrop and probably make a matrix.(and I just recently learned textures or any media for that matter.)It may sound that I am going to be to much of a noob to actually do anything in this project but please give me a chance.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 00:04
@Chewy
Would you like to have a go at the paint challenge on the first post?
BN2 is running the current project; I'm sure there'll be work for you, if you post your paint program here he'll be able to assess what type of jobs you could do for the team.

Good Luck,

Obese

Riddle: The more you take, the more you leave behind. What are they? Answer
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 01:18
and btw chewy, 3d isnt as awesome as it sounds, sure its required for amazing games but to pull off stuff as good or even betr than the first 3 DarkNOOBS projects u never use it

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@chewy
Glad to have you. Like obese said, try out making the paint program so that we can see where you are. Smartguy is right, too, we really don't touch 3d much (at least we haven't yet). Once you learn how to use 2d effectively, then you should make the transition, not the other way around (trust me, I learned the hard way)

Great Quote:
arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know any 2D much less how to remake paint with darkbasic. All I really know is 3D object translation and a little bit about variables and arrays. So should I just do the TDK tutorials then come back.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
That would definitely help if you know no 2d. Other than that, you could ask us everything, but you would probably get a lot more a lot faster by going through those

Great Quote:
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 15:28
and also u misheard obese, ur not remaking Paint, ur making a paint program, meaning pretty much any form of drawing or art program to show us your skill level

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 16:18
arbiter chewbacca hybrid,
Please watch the double posts. Two of your posts above were 5 minutes apart! Please give others some time to respond. If you want to add to your message, then please modify it.

Thank you!

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
gumbysmith
Years of Service
User Offline
i don't have internet anymore, might be awhile before i get it back. i will check this forum when i can. i am having alot of trouble using arrays. i have rewrote my program it will now set it self to use max display mode. also having problems with the computer player on a pong game i have wrote, could use a sample program with AI so i can see how one would be wrote.

arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2009 00:46 Edited at: 14th May 2009 00:47
Hey guys is it ok if I do a text RPG. becuase so far I read through part 3 of TDK's tutorial(without skipping anything) right now on 4.but I cannot understand how to make the line follow the mouse I need it to check the position of the mouse then place a new line there.
Here is my code so far...

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@gumby
You could just position the enemy so that it will hit no matter what, at least for testing purposes.

@arbiter
Your if isn't completed, and it seems to be lacking a main loop, or did it mess up copying?

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2009 05:07
@Chewy and Gumby
The reason we ask for a paint program is so we can compare different coders more easily. Another reason is that beginners rarely comment their code; if we have a standard program we know more or less what we're looking for.

Quote: " I cannot understand how to make the line follow the mouse..."

Are you using mousex() and mousey()? They'll tell you where the mouse is, then all you have to do is store the position when the mouse is clicked and draw a line to the new position. I'll give you a little a snippet to help.
*You earned a [Limiter Switch] code snippet! This item has been added to your inventory.*

This clever little snippet can be used to limit input to one instance.
For example, if you wanted to turn a light on/off using the same button without it flickering.
The trick is that the old variable stores input from the previous loop.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2009 23:29
Quote: " Ink RGB(0,0,0),RGB(255,255,255)"

Arbiter:

It would be simpler to just code this as:
Ink 0,rgb(255,255,255)
This gives the same result, while allowing the program to run faster.

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 00:31
ya, ink returns a value (seemingly random if u just look at the value) that means the color you typed

ink(0,0,0) returns 0

just thought of something, im going to make a small chart of popular colors and their returns then either write if down or save to my comp as a text file, then i can just type in the values for the color i need

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 02:08
@Smartguy
I memorized that 65536 is one red unit and 256 is one green unit, 1 being one blue unit. Then just multiply to the value you want.
i.e. magenta would be 65536*255 + 255.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 04:44
Quote: "ink(0,0,0)"

You mean Rgb(0,0,0) right?

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2009 05:36
WHOOPS, rofl

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 13:05:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 13:05:01