Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 00:55
Well, the gameplay is a lot different in mario bros and super mario bros. in super it has a scrolling screen and bosses and tooonnnnsss of enemies. in mario bros. there are only about 5 enemies no scrolling and no bosses. it's a bit simpler of a task then super mario bros in my oppinion.

New Site! Check it out \/
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 06:46 Edited at: 11th Oct 2009 08:26
I have an old-old mario game on gameboy. I could'nt find any screenshots, but It was in black and white and kind of jumpy, you've got to dodge hammers by running left or right.

Razerx
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 21:03 Edited at: 11th Oct 2009 21:07
We can do a Pokemon Blue recreation, I've already started on that one and have almost all the graphical media required. The only thing is it's on DBPro but we can recode it from scratch.

[edit]
Nevermind I think Pokemon is too advance. I'm still up for a Mario Bros on the NES.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 23:51
@Razer
Quote: "I have an old-old mario game on gameboy. I could'nt find any screenshots, but It was in black and white and kind of jumpy, you've got to dodge hammers by running left or right."

Is that an extra on another game? I heard they put it on a few of the mario games.

I would have offered to run the project but I want to concentrate on the DBC project.

TGC Forum - converting error messages into sarcasm since 2002.
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 06:37 Edited at: 13th Oct 2009 06:39
Ya, it's a mini game. I found a screenshot of a simmilar game.
You've got to catch the toads.

Razerx

Attachments

Login to view attachments
farmkid4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 16:45
i might be interested but i dont have dark basic yet.
Juggleboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I was wondering if it would be alright if I joined? I fit in very well to the noob part. lol. Here is my paint program. It is very basic, but seeing that my programing ability is basic, that is not a big deal to me. Ty.

[/code]`-----------------
`--Paint Program--
`-----------------

remstart
I could have added more, but I just wanted to throw something
together really quick. Thanks for using my program!
remend

rem Set default values
X=mousex()
Y=mousey()

rem Display color selection instructions
set text size 5
center text 320,0, "Press upkey for red, downkey for green,leftkey for blue, and rightkey for white."
center text 320,15, "Spacebar clears the screen"

rem Set ink to white
ink rgb(255,255,255), rgb(0,0,0)

rem Main loop
Do
rem Check for color changes
if upkey()=1 then ink rgb(255,0,0), rgb(0,0,0)
if downkey()=1 then ink rgb(0,255,0), rgb(0,0,0)
if leftkey()=1 then ink rgb(0,0,255), rgb(0,0,0)
if rightkey()=1 then ink rgb(255,255,255), rgb(0,0,0)

rem Get oldX and oldY for X and Y
oldX=X-0.1
oldY=Y-0.1
X=mousex()
Y=mousey()

rem Draw a line
if mouseclick()=1 then line oldX,oldY,X,Y

rem If spacekey is pressed, clear the screen
If spacekey()=1
CLS
ink rgb(255,255,255), rgb(0,0,0)
set text size 5
center text 320,0, "Press upkey for red, downkey for green,leftkey for blue, and rightkey for white."
center text 320,15, "Spacebar clears the screen"
endif

loop
[code]
Juggleboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about that post thing. When I i went to post the message, i got an error message that sad "bad request" so i tried again and the same thing happened. I guess it really worked but it told me the wrong thing. sorry.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 01:42
As a new user your posts won't appear until they are approved. The code snippet didn't work because you have the tags the wrong way round. [/code] goes at the end and [code] goes at the start.

Juggleboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh ok. Thanks! I was wondering why that happened.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2009 04:19
@juggleboy
Your code shows you've picked up quite a lot already. However there are a couple of finer details about some of those commands you haven't learn't yet.

There are three types of variable: string, integer and real.
You declare a string like this

A real (otherwise know as a float) like this

and integers are simply...

oldX is an integer, subtracting 0.1 will produce this effect

So while it appears to work it may not be doing what you wanted.

RGB(r,g,b) multiplies r by 65536, g by 256 and b by 1. The reason it does that is because colours are stored as a single stacked value and the maximum for each colour is 255. So after 255 blue comes 1 green, then another 255 blue and the green increases again to 2. This repeats all the way up to white.
So you could write black simply as 0, or brighest blue as 255.

Juggleboy
Years of Service
User Offline
@Obese87
Thanks for the advice! Here is a program I made that makes and image from circles,dots,or boxes and then saves it to your desktop. Could you look it over and give me any advice on how to make it better?
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 22:09
hey guys idk if youve noticed but i havent been on TGC in a long time, ive kinda iven up on coding for a little while

ill come back eventually but for now im done with coding, so you will need to vote on a new leader for the project

see you all around

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 02:53
@Smartguy
Yeah I'd noticed you weren't posting. Wise to take a break rather than bang your head against the keyboard

@All
How does everyone feel about starting the Mario project? We should call the game Jumpman (That was Marios original name).
I think we should aim to get it finished before the new year.
I might be able to be project manager, I have a few things to sort out but as long as there are no complications I'll have enough time to do this.
Does anyone else want to run the team before I swan in like I own the place?

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 05:42 Edited at: 26th Oct 2009 05:45
Ashingda 27 is awesome with 2d he would make a good leader, if he wants to do it.

@Whoever is the project leader

I'm wanting to improve my 2d skills, so give me anything to do and I'll do my best.

Razerx
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I think Obese would be great as this project leader, he's already shown he has a good understanding of this type of game. I'm sure I can learn alot from him still, we all could.

@razerx
BTW Thanks for your show of confidence in me .

@Obese
Will we be using media from the actual game or create them ourselves?

I think for our own benefits, I'll make a documentry or summery type of deal with this project that covers the bits and pieces of codes we use and how we used it. If anyone cares to review this or learn how we get certain things to work in our program they're welcome to take a look. This is not required for the project, I'll do this on the side along with the project. If anyone wants to help out they can.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2009 04:57 Edited at: 29th Oct 2009 05:03
@Ashingda
Good idea, like a "making of" dvd extra
It will certainly help for the planning of future projects.

Started a new thread for the Mario Bros. project.
Go there if you want to be part of the team.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 03:41
Is there anyone new that wants to help out with the Mario Bros project?
I could do with two or three more people.
Any intermediates welcome too.
Just read the first post and post if you're interested.

Thank you

"With games, we create these elaborate worlds in our minds, and the computer is there to do the bookkeeping." - Will Wright
AcP2142
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 05:06
Grr... I want to join so bad. When I get DB I will be back.

The only thing constant in life is CHANGE.
Choconut
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont know if this project is still in the air, but i like to join if that is possible becouse i think this is very helpfull for me and i can get many experience from it.

Give me futher information if i can join.

Greetz, Choconut.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 03:17
I need help with the Mario Bros. project.
Anyone who wants to help join in, there's plenty that needs doing.

"With games, we create these elaborate worlds in our minds, and the computer is there to do the bookkeeping." - Will Wright
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
So this seems like its been a bit of a wash. Anyone still here?

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 02:15
I know, not only is no one offering to help but I haven't seen any of the new people for a while. Have they all ditched DBC?

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 02:25
Lol, hey i'm going to start programing again. I had a nice christmas break playing MW2, WOW, and trials HD so i'll be back on here every so often to ask a question but not to much. Can't really say what i'll do right now but i'll think of somthing.

Quote: "I know, not only is no one offering to help but I haven't seen any of the new people for a while. Have they all ditched DBC?"

I would have probaly started DBP if it would work right on this peice of junk computer.(which I love)

Urist McCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2010 03:38
@OBese

I'm interested in joining the Mario Bros. project, but I'm pretty inexperienced. I submitted a drawing program a long, long while back. I'm not sure if it got a response, though.

If I can join, I'll help in any way I can.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2010 08:47 Edited at: 13th Feb 2010 09:00
hi razer and maniac,
I appreciate the help.
I'm going to be out all day but I'll start going through what needs to be done and plan out some tasks.
I'm going to try and plan this properly so we know where we are heading.

I'll see if I can find that paint program too maniac
[edit]
@Maniac
I found it, it worked ok for a bit but then it started flickering badly. I carried on drawing but then it stopped making lines. Could you post the code please.

@Razer
Have you done a paint program?
It might be a good way to get back into the swing of things.

Cheerio,

Hekael
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2010 23:25 Edited at: 15th Feb 2010 18:12
hi,

i havnt read all of the pages, i read a bit of the first one and stuff and i decided to post a project to show my skills, its a clock that i made a week or so ago, i'm not very good at the programming atm but i can easily learn, i've made a game menu atm its basic, but it works pretty much ok, with a functioning exit game button, and a functioning Continue game button.

here are both of them

The one above was the clock, the next 2 need to be put into the files folder to work...

(EDIT: I've done a little more work on the following code, theres now a available title with a space, and ive fixed the permanent red problem on the first option "Continue", it also looks neater and more attractive to the eye.)

remember the 2 above need to be put into the bottom left red box "FILES" option, and then use the browser or whatever to get them in.

Ready For Anything!!!
Hekael
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2010 19:55
and yeah, btw that means im applying to join your group = ), if you'll accept me.
i'll do what i can, i'm very kean to learn and make something worthwhile.

Ready For Anything!!!
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2010 07:45
Quote: "@Razer
Have you done a paint program?
It might be a good way to get back into the swing of things."

Maybe I'll make one later. Right now I'm devoted to a major project with my brother(he's the artist and writer). Which is why I'm on here, to ask a question.(other thread) Might have a demo sometime soon for you guys.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Hekael.

Haven't gotten a chance to look over your menu yet, but looked at your clock, and have some suggestions:

You seem to be familiar with the TEXT command, as you used its derivative: CENTER TEXT. Using that would remove the need for all of those PRINT " " commands.

TEXT is just like CENTER TEXT, except that the text will be left justified to the coordinate you give it (the farthest left part of the string will be at the point you give it and the string will continue to the right).

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Urist McCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 03:01
@ OBese
Ummm... I think I deleted that project. I guess I forgot about DarkNoobs, and as I got rid of all the projects that I had an idea for, wrote 10 lines of code, and stopped working on them I included that in that category. I can make another one like it, but I can't get the original back. Should I make the second?
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 12:04
@Maniac
It doesn't have to be a paint program just post something that shows how you code. You can paint something you've done recently.

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 16:21
Quote: "You can paint something you've done recently."

i think you mean post not paint

New Site! Check it out \/
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys been a long while since I last visited the forums. How about if we get things rolling again!?

In my absence I've learned a great deal more on tilebase games. I now have a much more solid grasp on coding many types of editors (Terrain/NPC/Item/etc) as I've written/rewritten so many of them.

I propose we do a tile-based RPG like the old FinalFantasy but even cheaper! I know that the previous few projects may have not all gone as planned and I apologize for droping out too, but I'm sure this one will be completed as I've had many past experiences (failed attemps) plus current experience and I'll be leading this project (if it ever starts).

Project Title: Super Duper Cheap RPG!
Characters: Hero, Goblin, Big Goblin, MarketGuy, InnGuy
Maps: Overworld, Town, Inn, Market, Goblin Cave
Battle: Turn-based FF style, but only 1 Hero and 1 Enemy.
Stats: Lv, HP, ATK, EXP, Gold
Items: Potion, Sword Lv 1~10

So what do you guys think, anyone still interested?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Would be totally into helping, but I just don't have that much time to code anymore College kinda sucks in that regard.

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 20:31
Sorry I haven't been very active.
I could be losing my job soon so I've been preoccupied with finding a new one.

I take responsibility for this project failing. I have zoned in and out since it started.
I still think it's a good project but I found that maybe I'm not ready to lead a project: I always make little programs and leave them when I get bored so I've never put things together and made it work as a complete program before.
But as Ashingda said we learn from failures too. I think we learn more than from successes.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Are there any newbies that still want to try stuff? Are there any originators of this thread that still want to help mewbies do stuff?

If there is interest on either side, why not aim a little lower to try and just get something done?

There was a board game chaleenge recently in the DBC challenges. What about making a board game? No AI, just use the computer as the medium to display the game that would be for 2 or more human players. Have the computer keep track of the mechanics, but no computer vs player logic.

The emphasis would be on creating the graphics, screen positioning, moving a graphic on the board (such as the player's piece or dice rolls or a spinner etc.), adding sound, and general design stuff like that.

I'm only making a suggestion, I wouldn't be heading or involved with the project.

Enjoy your day.
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 22:37
If other people join, then I might join as well and make small contributions. Right now I'm learning C++ on my Mac, so some of my DB knowledge might be fading, but I still know most commands. I also am learning Blender so I could try to make some models.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 16:36
I haven't seen any posts from the bunch that joined a few weeks ago.
I suppose we wont be getting any more newbies now DBP is free

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 20:57 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2010 20:58
I was thinking the same thing as well. DBPro isn't working very well on my Windows partition, so I'm stuck here .
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 22:54
I'm liking the Rpg idea, but aint that a bit much for noobs? Oh, if you want to see my experiance with RPGs, check out my thread in Geek Culture. I'll be alot more active nowadays!

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
HippyJonYo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 05:50
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've used DBC, but I'm coming back to it and I'm definitely willing to join this team if you guys will let me. I'm not too experienced but I think I have a good grasp of the basics.

I'll get to work on a paint program so you guys can see my coding.

Thanks!

That was an untactical decision.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmmm, kinda want to re-start this. Any interest? If there is enough, it would also be nice for some vets to help in creating some guidelines so that it does die...again.

Great Quote:
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Would be nice if this could continue. You guys were doing pretty good with the Zelda thing, then the wind sorta left the sails. It would be interesteing to see that taken down from the shelf and dusted off.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2010 06:41 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2010 08:44
I'm available to run a project but I don't have DB at the moment but I think that is a good thing because it means I will only be able to give guidance, not do the coding myself. Neither of my projects have been completed when I've been project manager so I really want to get one finished this time.
I think Mario Bros was a good idea but it has a lot more too it than I first thought. I think we should get a simpler game under our belts first.
The "zelda" game was also a fun project but that needs a more experienced team, I'm reaching out to the genuine noobs here.

Who wants to join the team? If you are new to Dark Basic and DNG please read the first post to get an idea of what the team is about.

I've edited the DNG principles and shortened the original post to make it clearer. I'm not sure if we were called "Dark Noob Games (DNG)" before but that's the name I've decided to go with.

My suggestion for our next project is Space Invaders. Any other suggestions?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow Obese, reading through that I was about to suggest Space Invaders too.

Other ideas:
Centipede
Asteroids
Snake

These are all relatively simple concept games that I can't imagine would have much under the hood to surprise you. As an added plus, I am sure there are about 6.02x10^28 free to play flash versions of them all out there. And yes, for the record, thats Avagadro's number, it was the largest number I could think of off the top of my head.

Great Quote:
Shadow000
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm willing to join, get some experience, since I'm new here, but I think that noobs isn't the apropriate word. A NEWB is a new guy, a NOOB

-The only thing that doesn't require effort is nothing.
-If there's something in this world that you can't buy, that's experience.
Shadow000
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for double post, can't edit message yet. As I was saying, a NEWB is a new guy. A NOOB is an idiot.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2010 22:47
Welcome Shadow000,
The name was supposed to be self-deprecating, it is a reminder that we shouldn't get carried away and start trying to make MMORPG's and other "noobish" ideas.

Could you post some code you've written (and explain what it does) so I get an idea of how much experience you have.
Cheers.

Shadow000
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem. And I didn't start out making a MMORPG. I started with a simple FPS

Why don't we start on one? In my opinion it's the simpliest as only basic code is required. And just I read your post, I suddenly forgot all code I knew for a sec . We could start like this: (not adding menu, I ended up hating it)

It isn't working that well (or at all, for that matter) but I'm sure I haven't done everything wrong It compiles to a black screen.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 04:47:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 04:47:17