Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2010 04:04
@Old School
Open the Dark Basic help file, you should be able to view it from the built-in editor or darkedit. I would recommend you start off using the built-in editor, because it has context sensitive help. You just place the typing cursor on the command you're unsure about and press a key (I think it's F1) and you get instant help on how to use the command. This is great when you are learning new commands, but when you feel comfortable in using the commands you've learned to make something I'd recommend switching to darkedit because it's more functional.

If you're having any problems you can make a thread in this board.

old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Got to show u guys this lmao its not dark basic but omg was so funny. Ok I made this script called random people. It appears to be a player who wonders around endlessly. Now u can talk to him. Like if u say key words like hi or hello etc. I fooled my staff an players for hours sitting back holding back my laughs. Staff was trying to figure out why there were not listed on the server list and players were just plain clueless lmao.

Could be useful to someone if converted to DB for a AI
Shadow Legacy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 20:45
I'd like to join, I'll attach a WIP, I've been coding for 4 days now so this game isn't great ok, and just so you don't think I'm trying to trick you I'll admit I did use a tutorial http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=153346&b=7

but my game has been extensively added to and modified, so its not just C & P, please e-mail me if I'm invited

if all life can be generated even in todays games,
then what hope is their for us? for we are obsolete
Skype = Shadow-Legacy

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2010 02:26
Hi Shadow Legacy,
It is difficult to make a judgement based on an exe. Do you have any code you've written from scratch?
I am more busy than usual at the moment but I will try my best to get back to you in a reasonable amount of time.

Snobbery is a privilege of the ignorant.
Shadow Legacy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2010 16:23
yeah heres the code, I wanted to keep it private for personal reasons but can't see anyone making money of this thing

please remember I'm a noob and this is still a WIP so its not that advanced, also I used this tutorial http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=153346&b=7
and got help from a few people on this forum

if all life can be generated even in todays games,
then what hope is their for us? for we are obsolete
Skype = Shadow-Legacy
Shadow Legacy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2010 13:19
em anyone gonna get back to me on this, or has DNG died?

DBPro noob here
Skype = Shadow-Legacy
http://shadow-legacy-script.webs.com/
Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2010 18:38
Hey Shadow,

DNG has not died I think Obese is just very busy right now. Someone will respond eventually.

I can't run your code at the moment, but it looks impressive

yrotate when you can spin?
God Bless!
Shadow Legacy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 21:09
thanks for the compliment, fair enough I'll wait till I see a reply

DBPro noob here
Skype = Shadow-Legacy
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 06:23 Edited at: 4th Dec 2010 06:27
@Shadow Legacy
Hey I understand how you feel about keeping your own codes private, cause I felt the same way when I started. I then learned that at such an early stage it didn't matter at all cause there are so many much more advanced open sourced codes floating around all over the internet. What you may want to hold onto are the media you created.

Every coder has their own unique way of coding, so it's not easy to use another person's codes but just about every coder is able to use another person's media. All I'm saying is revealing your coding is the least of your worries especially at the early stage. Heck even my own WIP codings don't mean much as just about every advanced algorithm I used can be Googled.

Back on topic. I'm currently not listed a DNG member but I worked on the last two DNG projects. I'll do a review to help out since Obese and the others are busy at the moment. It seems you've learned quite a bit from the tutorial, good job on that. Judging from the commands used it seems you're coding with DBPro probably using an alternative editor. Note that most of DNG may be using DBC or DBPro with regular editors and while coding as a team you'll want to be compatible with each others. So a // does not work as a REM and new commands in DBPro does not exist in DBC.

Review:
You know how to use subroutines and show a good understanding of a function. You've got different phases working "Menu,Game,Credit" and using flagging variables and good practical uses of Display and String commands.

You are on a good track. The thing I see you can improve more on is your code structure. You got a good start but if the project gets larger it'll get harder to follow.

Current Structure:

You can try using a subroutine for the GameCode and use a Flag variable to change phases:

You can also branch it out further for organization purpose:

Your codes using this different structure:

Ofcourse everyone is free to code however they like I'm just sharing what I know.

Other checks like:

Can be combined:

Personally I think you are capable of coding menus and bullet collision for their current project if not more. I'd wait for Obese to comment on that tho.

Shadow Legacy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 08:33 Edited at: 4th Dec 2010 08:40
wow thanks a bunch ashinga, loads of great information there, I'll get on and rewrite tonnes of my code lol

EDIT: just remembered heres the questions I had to ask to get this far

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178026&b=7

DBPro noob here
Skype = Shadow-Legacy
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 15:47
Coding noobs?

Hmm.

I might look into this once I finish my current project, which recently might have been lost but whatever.

I don't know how advanced this is, so I'll learn one or two more things and I'll be back.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Shadow Legacy
Asking many questions and seeking answers are great fast way of learning, keep it up!

@Obese
Hey I've gained some spare time and I'd like to join in on this current project.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2010 13:20
I'm still not on the internet at home so limited to an hour in the library a day. I can't really promise anything until after christmas. It's a shame this has stalled but I still want to complete it and if you're still with me we will get it done within a month or two.

Snobbery is a privilege of the ignorant.
Shadow Legacy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2010 16:00
lol no worries, I'm busy fixing this computer anyway, just reinstalled windows xp, my computer keeps shutting off when I play games, at random times too, but only when playing games, its pissing me off to say the least

DBPro noob here
Skype = Shadow-Legacy
Cardboard
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm interested in joining. I'm a complete noob to DarkBASIC since I just got it for Christmas, but I have some experience with programming in Python.

import Python
print('temporary signature')
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome! Welcome to the team Cardboard. Before you jump into our current project(a space invaders clone), throw together a quick, medialess program that demonstates your coding ability. I say media less so that we can copy&paste it to test it out.

If you are a COMPLETE noob (ie just got it for Christmas and don't know any commands yet), check out TDK's tutorials. They are stickied and do a better job explaining the basic commands than any of could.

Once you go through em, head over to our current project thread (DNG-Space Invaders and post. We'll get you up to speed and get you started.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Cardboard
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to learn most of DB's commands, but I'll throw together a quick program when I get some free time.

import Python
Cardboard
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 04:18 Edited at: 29th Dec 2010 00:59
Alright, I've been reading through his tutorials to figure out all the functions. Whipped this up real quick.

I'm not really accustomed to DB's syntax and everything yet, so I have no idea how to do what I want to do, but it is always fun to learn a new language nonetheless. I'll see if I can make something worth while in the next few days.

EDIT: Made this as few lines as I could

==== I Double Post On Accident ====
import Python
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 21:59
Welcome Cardboard,
That's a nice bit of code considering you've only been using DB a few days. I have a couple of pointers:
* We prefer your code to be indented and make use of whitespace, it just makes it easier to read.
* You can write single-line IF statements like so if 1>0 then print "duh..."
* You can use a colon to indicate a new line like so a=1 : print a
* X and Y start at 0,0 in the top left corner of the screen and move right and downwards respectively as they increase. If you intended to make your box jump upwards, you would reduce Y instead of increase it.
* DB automatically updates the screen but this is very inefficient. Manual synchronization is a must for most programs that use any graphics. SYNC ON switches sync to manual, SYNC is called every time you want to refresh the screen, SYNC RATE [integer] caps the FPS (frames per second) of your program, it is useful to keep a program at a consistent speed on different speed computers.

Everything worthwhile requires effort.
Jimmy 9Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd realy like to get involved in something like this, if at all possible. I'm kinda new to Dark Basic. I bought Dark Game Studio a little while ago, and have DBC, and DBP.

Question: Do you have the complete sourcecode somewhere (for previously completed, and current projects)? Or, do we have to go and collect code snippets and paste them together?

Yes THEE Jimmy9Toes
Cardboard
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the tips OBese

I've learned a lot of DB in these past 2 days, and so far it is awesome. Much less complicated the the add-on for Python I was using to make games. I'll see if I can make something else today.

==== I Double Post On Accident ====
import Python
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 19:58
@All Noobs, Newbies and Novices
Keep your eyes on the Space Invaders thread (link in the title post), we will be pushing to get the game finished this month so I'm sure we'll need a few extra pairs of hands soon.

To keep you busy I'll set you a small challenge. While rumaging around through my old programs I found a very simple game I made a few years back called Slider.
The premise is that each player controls a vertical line that is confined to one half of the playing area - they can move freely in their half. Point lines appear and disappear at random positions in the playing area, the players score points by collecting these lines (first to x points wins).
The twist in the game is the Slider; it is the centre line that separates the two players. As the name suggests it can be moved by either player to give them an area advantage, but the slider will only move when both players are moving towards it.
This gives a strategic element to the game; do you move to the sides to collect points or stay near the...

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 20:01
Slider to increase your area when your opponent returns to the centre?
Make your own version of the game. Can you program AI for a single player version? Can you make a version for more than two players? (I'd like to see how that works)

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 18:34
No one tried to re-create Slider?
I might make a quick version...

Calling all newbs! We need your assistance urgently... well not that urgently because we haven't sorted out jobs for you to do yet, but when we DO we will need you urgently!

I have entered our team in NaGaCreMo; we are committed to releasing a playable version of Space Invaders by the end of the month. If you want to join us and get your name up in pixels, pipe up and we will find you something to do.

chuythebestone
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm interested. Something to do in my free time. I've programmed in java, mostly console, little graphical. Just to know, this is based in DarkBasic Pro right, or what? and yes, I would have to learn all the structure but hope it's quick.
Omnomer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2011 03:40
I am a total Dbpro noob. You may have seen my text adventure but whatever. I could be a noob that specializes in cood theory. School toakes up most of my time(latin) but I am very good at code theory.

Squirrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 31st Mar 2011 06:21
whats the current project not much been said on here since around mid January... I wanna help sorta new to DBPro, started in September 2010. read my sig for what I am getting to grips with still.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys! Welcome to the team! First off, please write a short analog clock program (so that we can gauge your level).

Currently there's no project going on, but since there is interest, then perhaps we'll start one soon.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2011 19:21
Hello newcomers
I am moving house tomorrow so I hope to have everything up and running in about a week and as soon as that is possible I will review the space invaders project and get back to work!

I am going to have a proper desk for the first time in four years!
Oh and I'm buying a new computer soon as well One that will be powerful enough to run dbp.

When we start up again who wants to continue with space invaders? Or would everyone rather start afresh on a new project?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " When we start up again who wants to continue with space invaders? Or would everyone rather start afresh on a new project?"

Personally I would say new project, even if that's space invaders again. Not that I want to ignore all of the contributions, its just that the code was never well commented and everyone who wrote the code is gone, so it would be a real pain to have to go through and interpret it in order to change things (and there are some REALLY weird sections of code in it).

Besides, all the fun parts were done already, so the new guys wouldn't get to.

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2011 19:31 Edited at: 31st Mar 2011 19:34
@BN2
I agree, I learned quite a bit myself from being the leader so maybe it would help to start again with better planning. I found google code or whatever it's called a while ago and made a page for our project. I haven't gotten to grips with it yet but it's free and might help us organize the project.
Here's the link http://code.google.com/p/dngspaceinvaders/

When re-making an existing game, it's easy to presume there's not much planning involved as "everyone knows space invaders!" but that tripped us up last time so I think we should plan it as if we were the first people making the game. Besides, I don't want to make a carbon copy of it, I'd like us to add some of our own touches to the game.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2011 19:33
I agree with the current standings

Omnomer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2011 05:51 Edited at: 1st Apr 2011 05:51
Nevermind I barely have time for my own progect as is.

(\/) Squirel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(0o)
''
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Nevermind I barely have time for my own progect as is."

That's a shame. Well when you finish or take a break, we'll be here.

@Obese
After reading this month's newsletter, we have to finish space invaders.

Great Quote:
Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
i would like to get involved in something like this, as i dont have much time (A Levels ) to commit to my own projects, this is good for me

from what i saw in the newsletter the space invaders looks like its nearly done

I have DBPro but not DBC, is that a problem?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I have DBPro but not DBC, is that a problem? "

Not at all! In fact we recently started going with DBPro because it can be acquired freely (and realistically, the code will be the same across both, minus a few things here and there).

Space invaders is almost done, we've kinda been dormant for a while, so excuse us while we get back to firing on all cylinders.

SO welcome! While we play catch up, go ahead and try to work out the code for an analog clock. Whether you succeed or not isn't important, it just lets us know where you are so that we don't give you something too hard.

Great Quote:
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2011 10:28
This team sounds excellent, I have been following since you used classic but I never felt good enough to join.
I think I will have a go at that analog clock and join in on the next project.
(I doubt I would learn much from starting at the end of a game but if you feel you can use me for space invaders, might aswell. )
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " This team sounds excellent, I have been following since you used classic but I never felt good enough to join."

Glad to have you! Honestly I'd prefer to start a new project, but since we got media attention, I think we're going to have to finish up space invaders now. It's obese's project, but if he's busy, I'll step in and move towards finishing it up.

That being said, try the clock, bring any questions here, and we'll keep you guys updated when its go time (probably sometime this week though it depends on scheduling).

Great Quote:
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2011 14:44 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2011 14:45
Well, I couldn't wrap my head around making the lines move correctly so I decided to make this digital clock instead.
Let's just say, my graphics skills and math skills are not up to scratch.

EDIT: The time function is a modified snippet from the forums, however I understand perfectly how it works.

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2011 01:26 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2011 01:27
Heres My Analogue clock

Warning: The outcome is ugly but code is solid(Even tho not very well commented)

Hope thats good enough for you guys
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Well, I couldn't wrap my head around making the lines move correctly so I decided to make this digital clock instead."

Not bad code, here's a pointer for making the hands move:

First off: clear the screen after each loop, that way every line only appears once (no streaking effect).

Secondly, if you draw to a fixed point it will always draw there (obviously). However, if you draw to coordinates that are variables, you can alter it all you want.

Third: To go around the circle, use X=Radius*cos(angle) and Y=Radius*sin(angle) Where angle is 0->360 (you could put larger and it would work fine). There are other ways to do it too, but this is my preferred method.

Give it a try! We're always happy to answer questions too!

Quote: " Heres My Analogue clock"

Well done! Good enough, though, would be the wrong phrase. It's not an entrance thing, you're in already. This lets us know where you are. My only point of contention is the command FILL CIRCLE. Is that part of an expansion? Because it isn't recognized by my version of DBP.

Now, try adding numbers to the clock (perhaps even ticks on it for each second/minute)! It's always fun to challenge yourself.

@All
As far as the project goes, I'm in the process of reviewing things right now to see where Space invaders stands, I'll get back to you guys soon (things have kinda gotten a little crazy for me in the last couple days).

Great Quote:
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2011 07:39 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2011 10:33
I think the hour hand is a bit off but there you go.

EDIT: Hah ofcourse the hour hand was off. I was calling hours$ instead of hour.
Works like a charm now!
Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "FILL CIRCLE. "

oops sorry I tried not to use any extras but forgot about that one, not even sure what dll it's from tbh

glad you like it, I'll add the sounds and numbers in later today might make it look a bit prettier haha
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Well done DarkByNight. You're next step (though its a step we should all work harder to do throughout development) is adequately comment it. Some professional levels will require a comment for every line of code. If you can do it cleanly, awesome, do it. For now, I want to see every "idea" in the code commented fully. Explain what it does, and at key points throughout explain what each step does. This will help you clean it up by making it easier for YOU to see what you were thinking when you wrote it and it helps US see what you were thinking when you wrote it. If the code works, its helpful for making modifications later. If the code doesn't work, perhaps the problem is in your approach, and comments will reveal that.

@Teh Stone
I look forward to seeing what you can do, though I would request no sounds. Not because I don't like them, but external media is problematic here, as I would then have to save the files, the code and run it, rather than just copy and paste the code then hit run.

Great Quote:
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2011 04:46 Edited at: 4th Apr 2011 07:17
I hope this is better!

EDIT: Fill circle is from IanM's matrix utils.
EDIT 2: Addded a lot more functionality to the clock. It's looking real purdy if I do say so myself.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2011 19:35
can i make it in 3D? and use EZ-Rotate? ^^ im pathetic at 2D

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess for 3d, EZ-Rotate, though, I think I'm going to veto, just because plugins clutter things like this, and they are completely unnecessary (in this case anyway).

That being said, I would point out that we work almost exclusively in 2D in darknoobs on account of it being significantly easier to work with. 3D has a better learning curve at the beginning (you can very easily through a few commands together and have a box sliding around a plane and such) but a steeper one for actually making a full game. 2D, on the other hand, is a bit steeper to start out, but is a much nicer learning curve on the whole.

If you aren't good at 2D, what better time to learn, yes?

Great Quote:
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2011 19:52
Quote: "If you aren't good at 2D, what better time to learn, yes?
"

agreed I shall endeavour to make something, does it have to be a roung clock face? ^^

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Not particularly. Success isn't required either. The exercise is set to be slightly challenging for you and a gauge for us to know where you are. So it can be square, triangular etc., just shoot for analog.

Great Quote:
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2011 20:32 Edited at: 5th Apr 2011 20:33
by analogue you mean specifically two hands, someone earlier made a digital clock which I find easier ^^

EDIT

fixing my grammer well... typos lol i = I...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 16:46:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 16:46:16