Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
@Painstryver

Always nice to see new interest. We used to use DBC, but now everyone uses DBPro, so we stick with that. In all honesty, the level of the stuff you will be doing shouldn't be such that it won't compile in both languages (In other words, you probably won't be touching those DBPro exclusive commands). If you do, everyone is using pro so its not a big deal, but I wouldn't count on that happening.

Anyway, if you've got a short program that can demo your programming prowness, I'd be glad to look it over and give you some pointers. It helps us, when it comes project time, to assign jobs that won't be over your head.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
dark_dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 14:28 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 14:28
I think this team is a fantastic idea and should help a lot of newcomers.

I would love to join but I am REALLY new, so new in fact that I don't even have any clue about arrays and am just starting to learn even the basic commands lol.

So if you can put up with my stumbling and bumbling I am in lol

Don't judge a book by its cover.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 19:43 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 19:43
Hi Dark Dragon,
thanks for the support. If you want to have a look at the project thread I'm sure there's already tonnes there you can learn from. There's a link on the first post of this thread.
Do you have a program you've written that shows what you've learned so far?

ghostkrashers
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to join. I've been looking for a team, but I
m still a noob. This is great.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome ghostkrashers and Dark_Dragon!

I would suggest both of you guys check out TDK's tutorials, since you have expressed that you are still very new to programming. Those should help get you into the game. Then, throw together a quick program that will demo where you are at, programming wise so that we can assign tasks that aren't too tough for you.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Painstryver
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok ill show you my guessing game

Print "What is your name?"
Input a$
Print "Hello",a$

Randomize (Timer())
RandomNumber = RND (10)
Print "Numbers are between 0 and 10!"

Repeat

Input "Can you guess my number?",MyGuess

If MyGuess = RandomNumber
GuessedRight = 1

Print "Well done you have guessed correctly!"

Else

GuessedRight = 0

Print "Guessed Wrong im sorry please try again!"
EndIf

Until GuessedRight = 1

Print "Press any key to exit the game!"

WAIT KEY

End
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 01:25 Edited at: 12th Aug 2010 01:54
@Painstryver

I will look it over, but please use the "code" button to post your code. It keeps it looking nice and neat.

[Edit]

Alright looked it over.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the basics.

Since without the code tags I can't really see much of structure, so I am just going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you indented all of your loops and IF->Thens.

Only real suggestion I could make is get into the habit of commenting your code. In this case, there isn't really much that commenting would help with, since it is pretty straight forward code. It is, however, an important habit to get into, no matter how obvious it seems like the function of the code is.

Really though, I didn't see any common problems (useless variable names, syntax errors, chucks of code that leave you wondering "WHAAAAAAAA????", etc)

Good work!

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 13:44
@Painstryver
Welcome to DNG!
You don't need all that white space.

A small challenge to all you noobs out there (I think I realised why I like the word noob because it sounds like hoob lol, yes I am 22 and I like the hoobs ) build me a pyramid. You can do it in 2D or 3D, in both cases each block of the pyramid has to be separate object/box. Bonus points for giving the user control of the size (number of blocks used) of the pyramid and "finishing" the pyramid with blocks that slope down to make a smooth sided pyramid. Style points for adding things like sand dunes, camels, sphinxes, etc.

Painstryver
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Ill be trying my best to come out handy

P.S How do I get that Dark Noob Games Anyone can contribute thing? Thx
Ellis
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello. I am a new user, I registered because of painstryver. He is in the team so why shouldn't I attempt to join? I would like to be a graphics designer and modeler/co-modeler.

I have experience in programming, But I do not use DarkBasic, I use C++ so I would be no use in the programming aspect.

But you could definitely do with a graphics designer. I am going to make a 2D Ak Quickly.. Open this code snippet to see them.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 20:05
Go to your profile and copy this into the signature section.

Painstryver
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey ellis

I don't want to make too much of a call on this one, it never was my team. The main goal of the team is to help teach programming in DarkBASIC through the creation of a game.

On the other hand, there have been several instances in the past where having an art-person would have been nice.

On the other hand (Which I guess would mean back to the first hand), if you have DBC/Pro (or just grab the free DBPro version) we could get you started programming and you could do tasks in projects revolving primarily around artwork/integration of the artwork into the game (collision detection, image manipulation, etc) which would free up other coders to work more on the nuts and bolts of the mechanics.

Just an idea.

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 08:00 Edited at: 13th Aug 2010 08:05
Annoyingly, images wont show up in code snippets, but that's quite useful sometimes lol

Reference image -

Finished product -

Welcome Ellis, it would be useful to have an artist on board.
We are working on a Space Invaders game (link in the first post of this thread). Eminent is the one coding the graphics but I don't think he's gotten that far yet because he's also been doing the menus. Once we know the dimensions of the different game entities you can start drawing them for us!

Any more talk about the project please go to the project thread not here.

Ellis
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I have put the image into my signature and here is the ak47 reuploaded.

Thanks. And also, I have been attempting to get DBPro working but to no avail.

[href%3Dhttp://forum.thegamecreators.com/%3Fm%3Dforum_view%26b%3D10%26t%3D131352%26p%3D0][/href]
Ellis
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, Im not new to programming. I am fluent in Actionscript (flash) and not bad in C++

I actually helped pain learn some things when I barely even know DB.

[href%3Dhttp://forum.thegamecreators.com/%3Fm%3Dforum_view%26b%3D10%26t%3D131352%26p%3D0][/href]
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
We could use a modeler. Im not very good at modeling. The best thing I can make is a human.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 03:31
Quote: "We could use a modeler. Im not very good at modeling. The best thing I can make is a human."

I would say a human is the most difficult model I can think of!
This is a 2D project anyway so we don't need a modeller.

@Ellis
Good to know you have some general programming knowledge.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Cant make a car yet, havent really tried. Ships are much harder.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 03:36
hmm I suppose it is hard to get good reference images for a ship, after all you never usually see the whole thing unless something has gone horribly wrong

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Heres a quick gun model I made. I messed up on the trigger and didnt want to fix it( converted to editable poly. No way to change the segments anymore).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 21:13
Good news!

I'm getting a PC when I get back from vacation. That means I'll be able to spend a lot more time in DB. Cake for all!

Look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now BACK TO MINE.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome back Sinani.

Just be careful, what you said is DANGEROUSLY close to "Let them eat cake" and I think we all know what happened last time THAT was said.....(for those who don't: the French Revolution)

Great Quote:
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 21:36 Edited at: 16th Aug 2010 21:37
I'm talking about the Portal cake; http://www.catonmat.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/birthday-portal-cake.jpg

This is where the phrase "the cake is a lie" originated from.

Look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now BACK TO MINE.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
This I am aware of, it was a poorly thought out and executed attempt at humor. I guess I should have known, history jokes rarely go over well.

Great Quote:
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 00:45
I just thought I'd pop in and say it was a noble attempt BN2.

Time is money. I just ripped you off.
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 23:00 Edited at: 27th Aug 2010 02:26
Alright, the computer is here, and DBC is installed. DBP Free is installing now installed and working. Any jobs you have for me?

jblack
Years of Service
User Offline
After reading through all these posts you have me interested. What are the projects that are available to work on? I'm not too much of a coding guy, more graphics oriented, but I'd like to help. I'd also like to just have an incite on what the code looks like when finished.

**I looked at the TD information. I wish I could have been in on that... My favorite types of games (such as battle.net games) are Tower Defenses. That and then rpg's. Not the normal kind though...

At any rate I would still like to promote my skills for something useful rather than just fiddling around on the computer.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jblack

Glad to have you. Right now things have kinda slowed. Graphics requirements are coming up.

Thing is, our goal is primarily to teach programming to noobs. Now if you have a form of DarkBASIC, we could always use a guy to do graphics and work out the code to get it implemented (Loading them, using GET IMAGE on them, handling animation code, etc).

Right now the current project is space invaders, but I feel that that one is drawing to a close (estimated date of completion: 9/12). After that we may start a new project after some debriefing and discussion for what the next project should be.

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 15:57
@JBlack
Hi,
We're working on Space Invaders at the moment (link in OP).

jblack
Years of Service
User Offline
Aye Aye, well email for me is twdjb@twdesignjb.com. Email me there for when I can get in on the action. I have DBC at my parents house but I've been working in the GDK more recently

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 01:05
If you keep an eye on the Space Invaders thread (link in OP) there will probably be some work for you soon as we are beginning to sort out the graphical side of things.
We don't send out emails to specific people, we post jobs on the project thread and whoever wants them takes them. If you keep in touch with the project I will make extra jobs for you

jblack
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright I will do, in case it's never been suggested I could make a website in which the people that are working on the projects can post their progress individually and others can comment based on those, that way we don't have too many posts in between progress reports. There could also be a % completion bar that I would write, based on estimated total project completion.

It's just an idea, however. I could do it.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
We tried that once, it didn't really work out. It just sort of was ignored.

Great Quote:
jblack
Years of Service
User Offline
That's what I kind of figured would happen

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 13:48
I've been thinking of making a separate thread for posting complete code.
I'm finding it hard to find stuff in the project thread.

Turbosquid is awesome, I found the best textured animal I've ever seen.
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm?id=219350

jblack
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that is an amazingly textured animal

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats quite impressive, but for $254 it better be

Great Quote:
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
52k polys. Thats quite high(as in quite in mean insanely).

Painstryver
Years of Service
User Offline
I didnt know there was an update

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 06:21 Edited at: 8th Sep 2010 06:22
Hey DNG,

Sorry to pop in unannounced... You probably have no idea of who I am on the forums, so sorry for that I've been following this thread for a while and I love what you're all doing, I wish I still had my DBC CD, but ah well.

Anyways... I just came in to say (might sound quite rude, sorry) that I think for a thing like this you need to have a 'cooler' logo. Not saying yours is bad, just saying a small amp couldn't hurt and I'd love to help:

It's a bit poop, but it's just if you want the logo help or not Code snippet with link/image:

Feel free to use it or ditch it, I don't mind if you don't like it, just wanted to see if I could help out

Sorry to be rude

-PwP-

If something is perfect, it probably doesn't work. -PWP
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 14:31 Edited at: 8th Sep 2010 14:32
[oops]

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2010 00:24
Quote: "[oops]"

Erm... what?

If something is perfect, it probably doesn't work. -PWP
Benjames8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2010 22:40
Her is my program can I be part of Dark Noob Game's? dragonmaster5@hotmail.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2010 23:13 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2010 23:33
@Ben
Welcome, its always nice to see more people interested.

I will take a look at your code today, see what I can. If you have a version that doesn't use media, that would be great because then I can see what the code does/doesn't do vs. what it is supposed to do.

Fortunately I have sparky's so no worries there.

Right now the project is kinda slowed, but you can check in there and see if you can help.

[EDIT]
Haven't gotten into the real meat of the program yet, but I did do a little tidying up.

Changes:
Indentations-Indent subroutines and any loops/if-thens you have. This makes it MUCH easier to read since you can visually see where things stop and start.

: vs ; - It seems like you have some kind of experience C or a similar language. In DBC, there is no need to end lines of code with a ; . To combine 2+ lines of code into a single line, you should use the : symbol as opposed to the ; symbol. To clarify: the semi-colon is used with text based commands (such as PRINT) to keep the cursor on the same line rather than dropping to the next line for the next line of text.

Single-lines of code w/ multiple commands- Personally, I avoid putting more than one line of code onto a single line in my programs. Sometimes, it isn't a problem (such as putting 3 lines that get an object's position onto a single line). However, if two lines have nothing to do with each other, don't put them together, otherwise it gets cluttered and its hard to know whats going on.

Variable Names- Sorry, I get nitpicky about this kind of thing. Your variables should always be self descriptive. That is to say, if a variable is for a display, don't call it "d$". Call it "display$". d$ could be anything, whereas when you see "display$" you know it has something to do with a display.

Commenting-We pretty much always drill this into new members, since it usually isn't intuitive. Always comment your code thoroughly. If there is a line that someone can pick and not know what it does and how its doing it, you haven't commented enough. Your comments do 2 things: 1) They tell others what you are thinking and why you are doing things the way you are. 2) They tell YOU what you WERE thinking, so that later when you revisit your program you won't scratch your head thinking "why did I do it that way? What is that for?"

Your tidied up code (I put placeholder objects in there so that I could compile it, but your code is still there just commented out)

Great Quote:
old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2010 08:02 Edited at: 6th Oct 2010 08:03
Arggg maybe its just me and c# programing but at the end of each line you should allways have a ; or something telling the program move to the next line. Even public overrides etc. all require a ; at the end or some sort to tell it to go to the next line. Plus tabing in sections helps alot in format. An making public classes helps organize sections.

All this may not apply to DB Pro coding though. But God I hope it does cause this stuff looks scary.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2010 10:53
@OldSchool
You don't need anything at the end of a line in DB. You know C# and you think DB is scary? Trust me it isn't.

old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok guys Im ready to learn how to use all this stuff. PM me please. Love to join and learn.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Old_School
We don't really work through PMs or Email. Keep an eye on project threads for jobs that need doing. Right now, though, put together a program that shows where you are at, so to speak, in programming. It can be as simple as a clock or as complex as a short game (I stress SHORT because I really don't want to have to go through a multi-thousand line program to see what level you are at).

Remember, its now really WHAT you do, but HOW you do it. Keep your code clean, efficient, and COMMENTED! Comments are a MUST!

Great Quote:
old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Im going with the idea im noob lol I opened up some of the examples and not confussed but did not completely understand. I read through the docs provided. Did not seem to really list any commands or anything. Was more less a basic break down of the editors GUI. Which kinda sucks I was hoping for a list of commands or something.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-22 01:47:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-22 01:47:09