Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Forum President Elections

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 12:47
Vink makes a fair point; the man already has too much power, may as well give him what he wants before he starts abusing it!

You sir have the moral ambivalence of a mutated shrimp!
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 17:09
Quote: "This is why my administration will begin taxing lolcatz beginning December 3rd."

WRONG SIR!
You alone, not even your entire administration, has that power. If you want to pass a law placing a tax on lolcats, first, you must draft a bill, then a member of the TGC congress must propose the law to congress and be its official sponsor, then you must introduce the bill to the TGC house of representatives,then the bill must be carefully studied by a house committee, and possibly a sub-committee, and from there, it will go back to the main committee, and then the bill is reported, and put to the house for consideration. The house will then consider the bill, debate it, and will eventually be ready to vote on it. If the majority of the house votes to pass the bill, the bill is then referred to the TGC senate for a similar approval process. If the TGC senate approves the bill as well, it is THEN sent to the TGC President for his signature.
At that point, the TGC president may sign the bill into law, do nothing, in which case the bill will become law automatically after ten days(provided congress is in session), or Veto it (or pocket Veto it if Congress is not in session).
If the President signs the bill, ONLY THEN does it become a law.
If the President Vetos it, it is taken back to the house and senate in an attempt to Override the veto, by getting more than two-thirds of the votes in favor of an override. If the house and senate successfully override the veto, the bill becomes law. If the house and senate do not override the veto, the bill dies.

So you see, Matt, you will not tax the peoples beloved lolcats so easily.
Did you really think you could just say "POOF! I tax lolcats!!!11!!"
It doesn't work that way.

If the good lord had intended us to go outside or have a social life, he wouldn't have invented the internet.
www.threeswordsproductions.com
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
No one ever said this was a democracy!

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 17:13
TGC PRESIDENT.
That Implies a democracy.
There is also the fact that we voted for the President.

If the good lord had intended us to go outside or have a social life, he wouldn't have invented the internet.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 18:10
Actually, contrary to popular belief, the United States is NOT a Democracy like Greece, where people vote on policy. We're a Republic like Rome, where people vote for the people who vote on policy. And TGC is neither. We don't have a congress, and it would require us to create a whole new election thread. Besides, where are the constituencies? Each individual board? Does this mean we're going to switch to an electoral college system? Where does it end?

I'll tell you where it ends. As of today, shy of Pus and Boots showing up and saying otherwise, I have officially been elected President of these forums. In the words of Harry S. Truman, the buck stops here. I was voted into power by the people of TGC, granting me full authority to issue law out of the palm of my hand, regardless of Mike's title change or Omega's cries for Democracy or Alucard's death threats. Some people will call me a hero, some will claim I'm abusing power with my taxes and incentives, but I'm the very first ELECTED President of the TGC forums, and I won in a HUGE landslide, so even if you disagree with my legislation, you need to respect my title!

I'm going to finalize my appointments by the end of the day and issue my first executive orders by midnight (EST) tonight. Then tomorrow we roll up our sleeves and get to work fixing all that's broken, even the things that some few people think aren't broken. We have no powers whatsoever other than a nifty new title, and so the task put down before my administration will be daunting, but that's why I picked such talented people to help lead the way.

To put all of this another way... get on board or get off the tracks, the policy train is coming and it's coming fast.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 18:22
Mugabe is the President of Zimbabwe. That doesn't mean his country is in any way fair.

Woop - looks like Matt/Rock claims victory!

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 18:35
Congrats Mike!

Mike won the election in a unanimous decision! If you think otherwise, you better re-read the RULES for voting and do a re-count.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=140601&b=2

Again, congratulations President Johnson! You will make a GREAT dicta... I mean President!
Thanks for voting!

Disclaimer: If you disagree with any of the above, remember you are dealing with a political party that has obtained nuclear buttons. Your posts can be put on approval status and "censored" for the good of all of the community. Your profile can be removed without a trace. Any attempt to re-enter the borders of this community will be stopped you will be deported to the land of barbies. Enjoy your stay and remeber to congratulate the newly elected President Mike Johnson.

a.k.a WOLF!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 18:39
*begins whistling and acting all innocent in order to kiss up to the MODS*

Congratulations President Johnson! I always KNEW you were the right man for the job. I agree with your policy 110%!!

Oh, btw, can I have ice cream please?

You'll be great for the job! CONGRATS!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 19:10
Matt Rock has essentially just stated that he will be a cruel, tyrannical, dictator, not a president.
I will not stand for this.
I hereby move that those of us who still have the sense to see through Matt's facade secede from TGC to form our own Forums/Nation.
I hereby establish the Grand United Forums of Gaming.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 19:36 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 20:21

****I support Mike as president****

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 19:47 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 19:48
Quote: "I never once stated I will be cruel or tyrannical"

Really?
Quote: "granting me full authority to issue law out of the palm of my hand"

That sounds both cruel and tyrannical.(not giving the people any say in the laws of THEIR forums.)
I also noticed you never denied being a dictator.
Quote: "Some people will call me a hero, some will claim I'm abusing power with my taxes and incentives"

I doubt anyone in their right mind will call you a hero, not if you try and declare yourself the end-all, be-all, final authority on everything who can never be wrong. And that looks like what you;re planning on doing.
Quote: "OFFICIAL sanction of the ELECTED President of the TGC forums... me."

You were elected PRESIDENT not GOD. Get off your high horse and stop acting like you're so much better than the rest of us.
Quote: "The moderators who continue to push the Johnson agenda will be met with harsh criticism and fines. I'm calling on the TGC community to throw out any and all moderators who abuse their powers in an effort to establish a coup."

Quote: "By Presidential order, I command all moderators to hereby cease and desist from any further degree of effort towards establishing Johnson as the President through means of abuses of power. "

You're mad.
Who, or what, do you think you are? Trying to order the mods? Honestly...

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 19:51
What are you talking about Matt? Mike won with 4,000,000,044 votes.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 20:20
I sense...CONSPIRACY!!!

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 20:24 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 20:25
Quote: "I sense...CONSPIRACY!!!"

As per the AUP, there will be no talk of PIRACY on this forum (Even the "cons" type).

This is a warning.

Matt,
Glad to see you agree now

a.k.a WOLF!
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 21:14
Congrats Mike!

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 21:50
Quote: "That sounds both cruel and tyrannical.(not giving the people any say in the laws of THEIR forums.)"

The people elected me to lead them, and I have never once made any claim or demand that goes against the wishes of the people who elected me.

Quote: "I doubt anyone in their right mind will call you a hero, not if you try and declare yourself the end-all, be-all, final authority on everything who can never be wrong. And that looks like what you;re planning on doing."

Say that again after I issue my first batch of executive orders.

Quote: "You were elected PRESIDENT not GOD. Get off your high horse and stop acting like you're so much better than the rest of us."

I never once claimed status as any form of diety, as living dead, or as a member of Led Zeppelin. I was elected President, that doesn't mean I'm better than anyone. It does mean that I have the power to tell you to shove it

Quote: "Who, or what, do you think you are? Trying to order the mods? Honestly..."

When moderators abuse their powers in an effort to stage a coup, in support of someone who has as of yet shown absolutely no interest in this thread, it's my duty as President to take a stand against said moderators when no one else is willing to do so.

Quote: "What are you talking about Matt? Mike won with 4,000,000,044 votes."

According to the rules issued by those attempting to overthrow my Presidency and deny the people of this community their right to a fair election, by those rules alone I lost the election. By the actual rules of the election issued by Pus in Boots BEFORE the mod edits, I won by a landslide.

Quote: "Glad to see you agree now"

Ron, Ron, Ron. I considered you to be one of the good guys! Stop worrying about the Wrath of Johnson. Has he gone on the mod board and said that if you don't help him rig the election, he's going to punish you or some other mod? Because (A) I doubt he's done that, and (B) there's good in you Ron, I can sense it.

All moderators who denounce the Johnson overthrow attempt and join forces with the PEOPLE and their ELECTED President will be privy to paychecks, which was one of my campaign promises. All of those moderators who don't want pay and would rather instead be slaves to the Johnson Presidency can keep up the abuses of power and attempts to overthrow our government... they're going to fail, but be my guest.

To the masses who voted for me, have no fear. The new dawn is coming tonight when I post my first Presidential orders and officially announce my administration's appointments. I'm not going to let Mike or any moderator steal away the votes of honest, hard-working members of our community, not so long as I'm still breathing. Those who continue to attempt this will be met with the full, brisk assertion of every ounce of my political power!

Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 22:34
as one of the two cancidates I see on these forums and contributing reguarly (i dont spend much time anywhere but 3d and FPSC)

i vote for Pus in boots

Not in cruelty, Not in wrath The Reaper came today;
An Angel visited this gray path And took the cube away.
Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i vote for Pus in boots"

Then go into the official voting thread, and vote.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 23:11
Congrats, Mike!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats Mike!

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 23:47
!ekiM stargnoC

For the sake of non repetitiveness.

I download memory.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 01:32
I'm going to postpone issuing my executive orders until tomorrow afternoon. I can't say why yet, but trust me, for all the people who voted for me, justice will come tomorrow, and it will be very, very evident that I won this election fairly. Make sure you check this thread tomorrow, you're going to love it .

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 02:17
Matt, that sounds kind of...exciting!! What are you doing? Nevermind, I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 02:19
The only hint I'll give is this: I'm not doing anything, someone else is doing something, and it's very, very awesome, and I'll be in their debt for a very long time for what they're going to do.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 02:21
If I wake up tomorrow and suddenly can't get on the TGC forums, I'll hold you personally responsible!!

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 02:51
If you try to shut down my cookie business, you're way over your head. My business helps productivity within the community, which in turn helps promote TGC's products and thus indirectly increase your funds. You won't be doing any good by shutting me down, and don't listen to the conspiracy theorists that claims my cookies are made of "suspect carbon-based materials". Even if that was true, you can't deny that they taste good.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 03:10
You can't fool me Matt, your evil plan to eliminate Mike will not succeed. But if it does, im sure we'll all remember the day he was....eliminated.

Where will I be?

Ill be high up in the ceiling of the Coding Convention between the lights and the air conditioning...

...with a perfect view.

The world is doomed...unless you >>>>>> Click Here <<<<<<
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 03:35
The forums won't be locked, Grandma's cookie industry will remain intact, and Mike will not be harmed in any way. You'll all see what's happening tomorrow

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 10:08 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 10:09
While planning for world domination in the nerve centre last night I was struck down with an uneasy thought - there had been no word from my security team for many hours. I took it upon myself to call the Defence Secretary IanM but alas he was nowhere to be seen. Even Chief of Staff BatVink was missing. I was most worried at this juncture.

Soon afterwards in a state of distress I realised what was happening - a blasted military coup right in front of my eyes! I had no choice but to escape before the varmints captured me. Fortunately the hidden getaway chute was working and I am now safely ensconced in my secret lair.

I fear it is only a matter of time before a new president is inaugurated!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 14:30
Sorry Mike, sunspot activity blocked transmissions to my moon base at the exact time you wanted to contact me.

Ok, so I'm here now and my moon-based laser is primed ... who do you want me to blast with my super laser attack? The new pretender to the throne, Matt? But it appears he is protected by the shiny shield of a moderators badge too! Nooooo!

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait, is Matt actually a mod now? If so I think he's deserving

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 16:25 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 16:30
OMG!! Matt's a MOD?!?!?

Congrats Matt! Wow, I'm laughing so hard...that's awesome! I'm laughing because that was un-expected. But that's great news! I'm positive you will be a great MOD.

All that stuff earlier was just friendly competition.

Congrats again!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 16:36
MOD? Do you write all abbreviations in capitals? LOL imagine making a TYPO when writing some important INFO.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 16:38 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 17:07
I capitalize that intimidating word's abbreviation.

MOD just looks better than mod.

"Watch out, that MOD is going to ban you!"

"LOL, taht mod is gonig taek u dwn and pwn u!"

Which looks better?

EDIT:

By any minute chance, has this all been an elaborate way to announce the new MOD? Was Pus In Boots and Matt Rock in this from the beginning to make Matt the new Presidential Mod?

If so, you guys are GENIUS.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 17:12
Well done Matt.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 17:12
I tried to warn you guys, but some of you refused to listen! Have no fear, Batvink is fine, I have ordered AndrewT to release him just as soon as I inaugerate myself as President, which is going to happen right here in this post. So let's get this party started, shall we?

Here are the first of my Executive Orders as President of the TGC Forums:

Order I - The military functionality of the moderators is currently being destroyed by strategic airstrikes. IanM's moonbase is out of our range, but our secret Agent Dink (did you think "agent" was a coincidence?) is infiltrating that right now as I write this. We aren't going to disarm the laser, but we're going to bypass its security so that he can't target elected officials. This means if there's ever a mod war, JessT will be immune to his attacks, but I trust Jess to use that power wisely

Order II - After the dusts of the coup have settled, I will relinquish moderator powers and serve as a commoner President. My powers are only temporary. Like I told Omega, I won't abuse my powers as President. I'll only serve as a Moderator in the future if asked, but soon I'll be relinquishing these awesome abilities altogether. Just as soon as Agent Dink disables IanM's counterstrike capabilities.

Order III - From this point forward, the President of the TGC Forums will be elected by the people! The President will maintain their seat until December 3rd of each year, and a new election will be held unless everyone gets annoyed about this being a recurring thing. No President can hold office longer than two terms.

Order IV - From this day forward, all uses of lolcatz will be taxed. Violators will need to pay $250 USD for each individual offense, unless it is deemed hilarious by a moderator or member of the Presidential staff. 50% of this fine is kept by the moderator who enforces the law and collects the fee. The rest goes to our officials to pay for our other programs.

Order V - Order IV also goes for unfunny Rick Roll attempts.

I'll have more later, but the basics are on the ground.

And to the secret operative who aided my administration in taking control by force, know that you have the thanks and greatfulness of a thankful community and President!

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 17:14 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 17:16
Wha... Bu.. I... How... Wh... Za... The... He... ARGGHHHH! *Head explodes.*
Great, now he actually HAS the power to enforce his insane anti-lolcat policy.
In all seriousness Matt, Congratulations. I think you will make a good mod, even if your views on lolcats are hopelessly misguided.

EDIT:
Quote: "Order V - Order IV also goes for unfunny Rick Roll attempts."

Does it go for Bel-Airing, too?

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 17:40
Congratulations Rock. Johnson never had a chance. When you find the mod responsible, use your presidential banhammer to send him far away from this isolationist democracy. (Apparently, we're pretending FPSC forums are non-existant.)

Thanks to all for keeping this one alive and making me look good in the process.

As for your new mod status, HOW AWESOME IS THAT!? You can re-edit all Johnson votes to MR votes to eliminate conspiracies.

It's too bad I didn't get ushered into power, as I could've killed off the community for the better, but alas, these people are too naive to think that their murder is anything but necessary.

And to those who didn't win, I'm sure Grandma will send you a fresh cookie. (6-8 week delivery. Full postage charge rates +VAT.) As for the future of the TGC elections, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Matt is overthrown. And when that day comes, let me know and we'll do this whole thing again, without any controversy or OmegaLand.

Oh, and Matt, don't give in to the lolcatz. They must be stopped and stopped fast. Maybe you could post a picture of lolcatz getting flushed down the toilets with the word "Irony" at the bottom.

Your would-be President and murderer,
Pus

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 17:44
Quote: "without any controversy or OmegaLand."

heh, good luck. There will always be controversy, and You'll NEVER get to OmegaLand. we've been through this.

Quote: "Oh, and Matt, don't give in to the lolcatz."

You disapoint me, Pus. I release you from my mind control, and THAT'S how you repay me? Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 17:45
My brain feels itchy...

This is a signature.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 17:50 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 17:52
Congrats on the mod status Matt!
... Please don't hurt me!

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats, Matt!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 19:51
Maybe I speak out of turn, not having consulted with the president(!). BUT don't think that the forums can be overturned by Mob rule!

Somehow, bizarrely, Mike saw something funny in this whole thread. It's probably a side-effect of the constant references to his body odour inflicted by Ravey. It's probably for the best that he stepped down from the role he created.

Normal service will be resumed in a few days.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 20:06 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 20:15
As fun as being a mod would probably be, and as tempting as this "Nuke" button in front of me is, I'm not really a mod. I mean, I am a mod, but I won't be for long. I have mod abilities but I'm not going to use them. I'm President, that's good enough for me . I took matters to the very tippy top of the TGC chain of command to assist with my coup. I won't tell anyone who helped me overthrow Mike's government, either. I don't think the public could handle the truth, to be honest. Maybe it was Lee, maybe it was Rick, maybe it was Rich, maybe it was Mike himself. You guys will never know . But, in the immortal words of Ali G...

Booyakasha.

Okay, Presidential administration cabinet appointment time!

Agent Dink: Vice President
Jerico2Day: Chief of Staff
Jimmy: Flame Master General
Mike Johnson: Secretary of Awesomeness
AndrewT: Secretary of Defense
Jeku: Secretary of State

Wehtam: Secretary of Graphics
Cash Curtis: Secretary of the Codez
Benjamin: Secretary of Sarcasm
Epithika: Secretary of Audio
Seppuku Arts: Secretary of Viking Culture
Dazzag: Secretary of Happy Hour
FredP: Secretary of FPSC Fireproofing
Darth Kiwi: Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge
Grandma: Secretary of Social Anarchy

Edited by me so you guys know someone didn't mess with my appointments

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 20:07
Quote: "And to those who didn't win, I'm sure Grandma will send you a fresh cookie. (6-8 week delivery. Full postage charge rates +VAT)."

Actually, I was about to send one cookie to the winner and none for everyone else. After all, that would be cheapest, and I'm not going for popularity here obviously. It's the best cookie, made from the finest imported -...wheat grains! Gives a +12 bonus to charisma, he'll need it.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 20:08 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 20:14
I didn't get a position? Awww. Actually, I'll give myself a position. Alucard94 - Secretary of himself.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 20:16
I offered you Secretary of Internment but you rejected it

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 20:18
But that was to hide the hidden hidings of my mind. In secret, I wanted it, I just thought you would figure it out for yourself!

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 20:22 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 20:22
Kaedroho - secretary of game speed?? Trust me, I know alot about the subject.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 20:53
Quote: "As fun as being a mod would probably be, and as tempting as this "Nuke" button in front of me is, I'm not really a mod. I mean, I am a mod, but I won't be for long. "

WHAT?? You aren't going to be a MOD for long? But--you---can't--need--arrgh!! NO!! Continue being a MOD, you'd be great at the job! Please stay a MOD!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 14:06:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 14:06:55