Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V115 BETA - Public Test

Author
User Banned
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 14:22
ive got only 1 request,get rid of the serial checking its driving me crazy at every update it says fps creator free,even if i enter the serial properly and all,its just werid

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-20% (ON HOLD)
Doomsday RPG-5%
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 14:24
Quote: "ive got only 1 request,get rid of the serial checking its driving me crazy at every update it says fps creator free,even if i enter the serial properly and all,its just werid"

Same. I think it may be 'cos I got mine from Amazon though....

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 15:03
yep,and im not buying it again cause its supposed to work

Current FPSC Projects:
Doomsday RPG-5%
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 15:17
Looks like we ran out of time before I bounce off into my holiday. Can I cast a quite vote as to whether you feel BETA11 is good enough to be the official V114 for release Monday or should we keep V114 in BETA phase and resume tweaking in January 2009? I know a few new issues have been added, but I am thinking of the overall benefit V114 might bring into the soup to make it worth making public. I will leave you to cast Yes or No, and check back quickly on Monday to either make it public or leave you guys to continue testing V114 BETA11.

And lo, after much toil, he placed his keyboard on the ground and lo, he saw that it was good. Then his PC crashed, and lo, he saw that is wasn't good enough!
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I do not feel that it is ready soley based on the fact that so many games are played and then saved by the player so they can come back to it later. If the game does not reload properly then what is the use of saving it?

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 17:57 Edited at: 14th Dec 2008 17:58
incense has a good point. I have not had the time to test beta 4 v1.14. One of the issues with saving and reloading I have had in the past was that objects sometimes seem to become rotated by 90 degrees. I have had door entities (the animated part) be reversed (no real biggy). Lifts would be reversed and that is a problem with the ones that have railings and therefore you can't get back on the lift.

Maybe the above issue has been resolved and I missed it; but maybe we need some more testing. I will do so over the holidays -- if it remains in beta for a couple of weeks after January 1st). I hate to see either the source code for this version or the migration be delayed but maybe it would be worth it.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 19:54
I think its ready for an official release. Unless you feel like implementing new features of course.

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
always open for new features

Red Eye Productions © Copyright 2008
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 20:19
I am testing for my concerns now so will be casting my yay or nay vote in an hour or so.

Red Eye, I am sure that there won't be any new features for version 1.x. Just have to wait for the migration.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 21:11 Edited at: 12th Jan 2009 04:58
Houston, we have a problem. Vote cast is NAY. I will try to document it.

I start game and go into the first room. Here, I shoot the enemy once and then save the game. I then exit completely out and then start game and load the saved game #1. I kill character #1 and go through the next door. Problem: character #2 is reversed and his back is facing the player and will not turn around. Interestingly enough, when he shoots the player he will make a hit and cause health to decrease. He will also follow the player by "backing up"

After killing this enemy, I save game #2. Instead of exiting game I continue. I then use the lift. Character #3 is facing the correct way (not reversed.

Now when I completely exit the game and restart it and load saved game #2 (characters 1 and 2 are already killed) character #3 will now be reversed.

I hope you can follow this. I think all of us would agree that this needs to be fixed.

The fpm map can be downloaded by the download button.

IMPORTANT ADDENDUM

I re-installed v1.13 and it works OK. There is no reversal of characters. However, there were those issues that was fixed in v1.14.

My personal opinion is to fix the problems regarding the issue explained above and make 1.14 the final official upgrade for v1.x because the xbox stuff is way cool and will attract those who are used to the control pad and because there were a couple of other fixes made.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 22:42
Would char 3 be rick astley lol
afraid I cant vote, havent used it at all

*slap!*
Quiet yourself, think before posting, and maybe you won't be as ignorant as you seem.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 00:44
Quote: "Would char 3 be rick astley lol"

Yes, it is.

Following image shows character #2, reversed. I included the health to show that the enemy is still firing the weapon at the player.

The next image shows that the character still reversed follows the player out the door and you can see by the health, that the player has been hit despite the fact the enemy is pointing the weapon away from the player.

The next image shows character #3 is pointing the right direction after loading saved game #1.

However, after loading saved game #2, the character is now reversed. This is what Rick Astley looks like from behind.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 00:48
I think that v1.14 should be the one released purely because of the XBOX 360 controller support.

All mods will need to be updated to be compatible with the new version and it could be this time next year before the source code is released again.

Giving players the ability to play with a 360 controller will be important next year.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 03:39
I do believe that v1.14 will be the new public release. However, I think the issue I have uncovered should be fixed first. Then it can be released.

I haven't found any other problem but this one is too embarrassing to ignore.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
i agree with Flatlander because if someone makes a game with the public release of 1.14 and its really good (good enough to sell) their thats going to be a problem and make the game unsellable. Thats just an example.

]
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 14:59
Given the continued reports, V114 will not be released. We will resume BETA testing in January 2009. Thanks for your feedback!

And lo, after much toil, he placed his keyboard on the ground and lo, he saw that it was good. Then his PC crashed, and lo, he saw that is wasn't good enough!
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 15:57 Edited at: 15th Dec 2008 15:58
YAY good to see we will get a non buggy release this time no offense but the releases have been buggy for ages it seems to me that you like to get lots out but not put all of whats needed into them each thing thats fixed in FPSC adds at least 2 more bugs into the equation for the next update which then adds even more. Sorry for if that sounded harsh wasn't meant to but only way i could put it.

tjaabee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 17:35
I belive this is a good decision. I know 360 controller support is a great addition, but a buggy update doesn't get less buggier with it. Good luck to everyone, and merry x-mas and a happy new year!

Best.

Yor mod has been erased by a signature. (Oops... something is wrong)
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 21:40
Wow, Rick Astley has a large seam in the back of his head

*slap!*
Quiet yourself, think before posting, and maybe you won't be as ignorant as you seem.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 00:07
I think that's called a "part" in his hair

The one and only,

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 13:54
well nobody tought on the good side of immediate v114 release,we would get out v2 quicker,well anyways i hope the serial problem will be solved

Current FPSC Projects:
Doomsday RPG-5%
the dark ale
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello. I installed the v114 and then doing various tests I have seen these bugs that I had never noticed. When I take an entity with shader in a room with dynamic light this happens: light on, enlightened entity
light off, illuminated entity
I move the entity, the entity is not enlightened
I turn on the light, the entity is not enlightened
I move the entity, the entity is lit
when I put a dynamic entity without shader but has a normal map this happens
This is an issue of new update or is a problem of shader?
I hope to be helpful
sorry for my bad english
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 19:47
I found a bug, i dont know when this occured the frist time. But lets say I create a corridor like a T, on one side of the I part of the T i put a door. When Ingame, I open the door and go up to the end of the T (the corridor wich goes like -) and then look around the corner. First I see the door, but when I walk away from the corner (to the way wich the corridor with the door isnt) now the door is gone
Its a bit complicated to explain, but Here are some pics.

I am running on the latest official patch before 114

Rob John B 95
Years of Service
User Offline
is this like a beta, or do u need the actrual x9 disk and then it works like a update
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 00:23
It's an update in beta. Anybody who own FPSC v1 are the beta testers if they want to be. So, you have to actually need to own it before you can test it.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 04:45
@BVG:

That's probably due to clipping. FPSC hides entities that are out of sight in order to save on processing time and increase FPS (frames per second, not first person shooter )

So, since the center of your door (and it's calculated "size") is no longer in view, it prevents the door from being rendered.

The one and only,

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 13:22
@Plystire

I knew it was something like that, and its annoying! Even if its for lowering the FPS, and the FPS rate (first person shooter ).
Is there a way around this?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 23:51
Hummm... how about not putting a door so close to a corner?

Proper level design to account for engine issues is key to using any engine.

The one and only,

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2008 21:38 Edited at: 21st Dec 2008 21:49
But I did try placing the door further down the corridor, and it still looks bad. I havent seen this before.

And: I also got a problem with my wireless 360 controller (the one wich comes with 360 elite), Does it work with a standard USB reciever? What else do I need to do to get it work?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2008 21:48
Have your door open the other direction. So it opens INTO the room and not into the hallway. I think that's how doors are used anyway. No body wants to be running down the hallway just to have someone open a door in their face.

The one and only,

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2008 23:30
But that doesn't matter, because in FPSC, can't you just go through said door?

CSS in-game: Curveball
Add me to Steam: Rec. Holliday [3rd RB]
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 06:29
@ Lee (or anybody else)
i ahve a possible error to report...
in 1.13 the latest one, the tab controls do not work, the test level will crash and the screen goes black. i am unable to get into wireframe or anything else due to this.
im aware a renstall could fix this but i dont want to at this time ( too much work)

and if there is time can you make it so that fpsc can handle more than 31 charicters?
Thanks

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 10:06
@Plyestire

That was a great idea. Thanks!

But I still think this should be looked into, since I think it looks bad when you really want the door go into the hall.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2008 08:39
I think the reason architects make the doors near corners and/or in hallways go inwards is so people don't come running around the corner and run smack into the open door. Also, probably to prevent traffic building up just by opening the door.

The one and only,

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Its also a fire hazard...
Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 20:44
how do you get the xbox 360 controller to work in fpsc ?
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 20:51
Add xbox = 1 in the Setup.ini file...

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
well before it worked by itself but now it wont work kinda weird if you figure it out please tell me.

]
Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 21:54
works for me but i had ti put XBOX=1 in and cheers cg you've helped me alot today thanks
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
in the fps creator root folder?

]
Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 00:42
somthing like this C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator
then just find the setup.ini
TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 01:00 Edited at: 29th Dec 2008 01:02
Downloaded 1.14 Beta (Beta 4) today, while building a test game with 22 levels, I got an error when building level 18. Here's a screenshot of "Heap Corruption Detected" error.

TechGirl
(Yes, I'm really female!)

Attachments

Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 13:27
try building it again and if it does post. lol
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 16:30
Possible an internal memory problem. Shut down the computer and reboot. This will reset all of the resources including memory. Like most programming applications FPSC uses up the computer's resources quickly. I've learned to reboot at least once a day. You don't always need to shut it down completely (just a warm reboot would suffice) but sometimes it is best to shut it completely down.

TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 17:37 Edited at: 29th Dec 2008 17:39
I will try again in the next day or so. I always shut down my comp before starting a game build. That error came while building it on XP. That comp is only 1.8, 1 GB Ram, and 10 GB free hard drive space.

On my new VISTA machine, I am having a really strange problem. Everytime I build a game, it stops at exactly 1 hour, no matter what level it's on. I checked and my comp is not set to sleep or anything. Weird. Because if I am not building a game, it doesn't happen with other applications. That comp is Vista 64, Quad core 1.8, 4 GB Ram and 100+ GB free hard drive space. Also, the fan makes a sound exactly 5 minutes before the hour that it stops...

I'll keep trying...

TechGirl
(Yes, I'm really female!)
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 22:42
Quote: "the fan makes a sound exactly 5 minutes before the hour that it stops"

Could this be a heating issue if the fan is trying to kick in? It doesn't seem likely, but the only time my fan "makes a sound" is when something gets really hot, but thent he computer just dies.

The one and only,

Click Me, Please!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 22:59 Edited at: 29th Dec 2008 23:11
Fans on a computer that make undue noise when they start running is usually caused by overheating. This can indeed be a result of inefficiencies from many sources. FPSC being just one of them. Another is a CPU which when put under strain can overheat - this is because the friction caused by the shunting of data constantly around that a CPU cannot and perhaps other associated hardware in a system cannot accommodate well. When overheating the Fan just wants to do its job and may well run constantly in an effort to reduce the heat caused by the data friction.

I have a computer that runs FPSC and when FPSC is in use the computer Fan permanently makes a loud noise. Day in day out non stop whilst FPSC is doing anything at all. This is because both the computer system including the CPU and FPSC itself are extremely inefficient at data handling - and there is a lot of data to handle. Both have some inefficiencies and flaws - not a good combination when two vital elements to a gamemaker have some imperfect engineering in their systems.

If you are running FPSC particularly if you have large complex levels then you will need not only a powerful machine but also one that is well engineered where the components are well chosen by the manufacturers and designed to work together in a smooth operation. Any weakness that FPSC does not sit well with or bottleneck in a computer system datastream and FPSC will not be kind to you.

One example is Character AI with which there are some data handling inefficiencies in FPSC, this puts strain on the engine at run time and other AI elements become erratically behaved and themselves add to a bottleneck as datastreams are affected and the problem compounds itself. Happens when a bottleneck occurs in datastreams. Engine slowdown is a result again compounded by strain on the CPU and user overall system.

The reasons and possible permutations of them are almost endless but Fans run and some times make a lot of noise usually due to overheating. Latest computers or not it can still happen.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 23:16 Edited at: 29th Dec 2008 23:20
It does sound like your Vista machine is overheating. Most newer systems have smart fans which speed up as the CPU heats up. While you may be able to adjust that in the CMOS setting, the CPU should never heat to the point of shutting down. You may want to contact the manufacturer before the system warranty expires.

As for the XP machine I would guess that you are running out of virtual memory. Windows, by default, does not assign or dedicate much of your hard drive space for this. To change this, you can go to System Properties and click on the advanced tab. Under performance, click the settings button. Click the advanced tab and under Virtual memory, click change.

You will see settings labeled "Paging file size for selected drive". The drive should be C unless you have more than one. Make sure that Custom size is selected, and double the values for both Initial and Maximum size. Then click set. Restart the computer.

This setting will in no way harm your system, and can be reversed simply by going back and checking "Let Windows handle my page file". As always, you should have a backup of your critical data before making any changes to your system.

Good luck with your game.

Best.

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 21:00
I love the idea of adding XBOX 360 controller support, attached is my idea of the button mapping. I made it so it is most like Call of Duty as most people are used to that. If I can buy a receiver (I'll have to weave my way out of buying computer stuff for now) then I would try this out.

-FCV

Attachments

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 00:34
I like your diagram, but since B does nothing why not just make that crouch?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-16 11:38:37
Your offset time is: 2024-10-16 11:38:37