Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / BlitzTerrain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 11:50 Edited at: 4th Mar 2010 12:23
it was the same exact exe.. And if i remember correctly i have tried that too with this computer and it didn't work , nor did These blitzterrain demos that i've compiled with this.. both blitz 2.00 beta 1 & 2

So it may look like it's my comp but i wonder where the problem would be? I have Geforce 8800GT, winXP service pack 2, Latest DX 9.0c and latest drivers to all of the hardware...

hmmmh.. that didn't compile
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 15:18
Have you tried the GDK demos?? If you haven't, I will compile and upload them so we can see if they work for you, this could be a DBPro problem.

Masqutti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 15:32
No I haven't ! It would be great!

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 19:12 Edited at: 5th Mar 2010 19:18
I have a quick question. I'm using the latest beta of BT in my DBP app, and I don't get a terrain displayed at all? It used to work, then it just kinda stopped?
Any ideas why this would be?

Here's some code which creates and updates the terrain. (Note: It's been ripped from my game so is incomplete, but everything needed to run it is included once you create a main loop and stuff.)

IanM's dlls needed. (Of course)

And hears the datafile used to create the terrain. (This works because I can print out the values within the game just after loading.)

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 19:22
Ignore me, stupid user issue.

The problem was here:
Quote: "For TerId = 1 To 9
If Not Terrain( TerId ).Obj Then ExitFunction Id
Next TerId"

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Masqutti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2010 08:18 Edited at: 9th Mar 2010 20:20
Hi!

Ok i'm starting to be pretty sure the problem is my DB. I made a lil project with my another computer and bring it to this one. It did compile but running just crashes it. Also, i have 2 *.dba (one for functions&main). I imported the function dba to the main project, but after restarting the IDE it gave an error that the file is missing, and i had to re-import it again.

This new computer uses the same hard driver than the last comp I used. XP wasin C:\ -driver, but I had separate for programs and games. I had the DB installed at D:\.

As i changed the Hard driver to this new computer, I did format&install XP again to the C: but D: did leave as it were before. Could this make somekind error to DB as it was installed but then i reinstalled XP, had to delete the old DB and install it again?? I guess there are some registry entries at least as i now try to install DB again, it won't ask the serial again anymore but goes straight to the full version... Any advices ?

Edit: Ok this is starting to be ridicilous. I made some more of that project on the working computer and made it a stand-alone.

I have deleted DBPro from this computer(that doesn't work) and I tried the stand-alone on this. Doesn't work. The stand-alone doesn't use ANY thir-party dll or anything but the db code itself, original commands expressions and everything! What's the problem? I can code whatever I like in this computer(except use blitzterrain) and it always works but when i try to catch something from that another comp it doesn't work...! IDE and compiler are the same versions on both computers, and even the stand alone's don't work. It seems to be maybe even more than DB.. pffffft

edit: an UPDATE! I forgot 1 command to the project i thought was without 3rd party dll, it was blitzterrain command.. I removed that command from the project and it started to work ...

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2010 01:38
I don't think i installed it properly, im using gdk and am getting an unresolved external using the 2.0 beta you have in the first post

Add me to your MSN!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Mar 2010 21:39
this is what i get using DarkGDK 7.4
and DirectX SDK Feb (2010)

first sample

i have no textures just the terrain it works smooth with 1500 - 2000 fps , but these warnings and no textures

on the second using LOD i get this

no point in the next samples cause of lod not working and not getting any textures to work .. so ..

ty for your time , it is an awesome work you do here.
nadav.
Masqutti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 07:14 Edited at: 11th Mar 2010 07:15
Hi!

It seems Kaedroho's busy, If anyone you have stable DarkGDK -version working, could you compile an example(just a one lil example) And post the compiled version so I could check does it work for me ?

(I don't have DarkGDK)

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 18:23
I believe kaedroho has compiled the lib incorrectly for the gdk version, so we have to patiently await him to fix it

Add me to your MSN!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 18:34
sure.
altough its nurve racking (dont know if that word is correct )
fix
altough its
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 19:33
Yes, very nerve racking since blitz terrain will be one of my games backbones, without it a few aspects wont be possible.

Add me to your MSN!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 21:03
same here
the lod system is awesome , its just a good and solid , something you can trust on to get high fps with a lof of stuff in it

and the RealTime morfing.. now thats take me to the old scorch tank game , only transforming it into a first person shooter , when you throw a granade on the ground and hi theres a little hole

enviorment mapping also ,
blitzz just makes it all happen with good fps.
i cant wait...!!!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2010 10:01 Edited at: 15th Mar 2010 10:12
@ Kaedroho,

Just checking in. How goes it? Aside from the GDK stuff/support, what new functionality/commands are you next working on? The quad stuff, RTTMS, Terrain Painting, Spherical Terrains? Is it going to be going in to the Standard or Pro version?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2010 23:06
If there were Spherical Terrains I would make it a point to build my programs to incorporate BlitzTerrain at all costs, when I need to use terrains that is

Add me to your MSN!
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2010 14:35
Sorry for my lack of updates recently. I've started work on BlitzTerrain 2.1.

I have recently been completely stripping BlitzTerrain down the the core system. Then porting that code to C (the reason for this is C++ can get very messy, like it has, I used C++ because you have to in order to compile the DBPro internal headers).

When this is done, I will create some wrappers for different engines, starting with DBPro and GDK. The core system will also be released so people can use it in their own engines.

This time I made sure the old source remains untouched so I will still beable to fix bugs and add features to BlitzTerrain 2.00.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 21st Mar 2010 15:09
YEAH! AWESOME!
we cant wait much longer
must have
real time Terrain options
aggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2010 20:16 Edited at: 21st Mar 2010 20:19
Good news!

The main part of BlitzTerrain is ported to C and the compiler is now GCC!!!

Some new features which will come out of this.

Can be wrapped to any engine.
Graphics API independent. Will work with OpenGL, DirectX and even Software Rendering.
Operating System independent. Will work on Windows, Linux and even a custom operating system!
Architecture independent. This will mean that it can be compiled for game consoles as well as normal PCs.

The reason why its being ported to C is just to tidy up the code. Wherever I have used C++ features there is a big mess.

When the core system is completely done. I will start on DBPro/GDK wrappers. The free versions of these wrappers will be open source and anyone can contribute.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2010 21:35
Fast work .

Liopriwo
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that are very good news!

I like the idea of using your engine together with other programming languages and graphics engines.

And it's also very kind of that you release the free versions as open source.

Keep up the excellent work!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Mar 2010 08:45
hip hip horray!!!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 09:48
@ Kaedroho,

The conversion was v sensible as it also allows you sell this out to the communities outside DBPro...

How do you see development going now in terms of what you're planning on doing next, after that, after that and so...?

I'm particularly interested in the RTTMS/TerrainPainting commands and the Spherical Terrain commands...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2010 22:07
Sorry about lack of updates recently. I have been doing school work (for once...).

Easter holidays starts on thursday and I have to get all of my coursework in by then. Once that day as passed I will be free from coursework and I will be able to commit more time to BlitzTerrain.

Liopriwo
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if somebody did already mention it, but if I paste a image, then the terrain won't be rendered. (no matter if I paste it befor rendering the terrain or after)
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 01:12 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2010 15:05
Render Terrain doesnt acctually render anything. It tells the system to render the terrain in the sync function. Obviously, it is rendering in the wrong place of the sync function so I'll look into changing that. Thanks for posting!

Try calling "unlock pixels" just before sync.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 23:17 Edited at: 6th Apr 2010 23:20
I wont beable to work for the next few days...

Yesturday. The cooling on my PCs CPU failed. And without warning, the CPU litterally fried. Basically, the fan came out of its socket, stopped spinning and the heatsink got up to temparatures of about 200 degrees C within a few minutes.

That is the only computer I have which supports SATA. And the hard drives both BlitzTerrain and the backup are both SATA. So I wont beable to work on it until my new processor arrives.

I ordered the processor last night. It should arive tomorrow or the day after.

My computer dies the very day when I become freed from coursework from school .

I will beable to work all week next week. I have nothing planned for the whole week. Except for sitting infront of my PC using my new CPU coding BlitzTerrain!

I will get 2.00 programming done and dusted in about 1 day. I only got to change a system which allows physics engines to get collision data. When that is done you should start to see BlitzTerrain support in both XenoPhysics and Fulcrum Physics. (its already in Xenophysics but because of recent internal changes to BlitzTerrain, it won't work)

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 00:07
Hopefully the motherboard escaped without harm..

ChozoMufin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 20:14
By the way, are there any fixes for gross-looking DB Objects produced by BlitzTerrain? The object that I want to use for collision comes out really badly. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Also, I'm using DarkPhysics. Anything that I'm unaware of in relation to collision?

Finally, I need a position terrain function badly. I see that there used to be one, but the current release doesn't support it.

(Fantastic work on the whole project, though. I'm really impressed.)

Somebody set up us the bomb.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 20:19
The DB object isn't supposed to be shown. You set it up for collision or phyiscs, EXCLUDE OBJECT ON it, and let the BT engine draw the nice-looking terrain.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 20:37
The object that comes out for collision is meant to be hidden. I removed alot of the unneeded vertexdata to speed it up.

You can use the object for viewing if you want. But it wont look any good. It will render very slowly. Alot of features like Dynamic LOD and frustum culling will not work. And there will be alot of wasted RAM as you wont be using the terrain that is made especially for visuals.

Why do people make this mistake? I think I will replace the Collision object demo with something else which is less missleading.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 02:35
Sorry for lack of updates...

My new CPU arrived on tuesday but now the motherboard has given up. Before it just frose when trying to detect the CPU but now it just gives coloured static :S. My new motherboard will arrive on monday. Which happens to be after the holidays end. I was hoping to get this all done while I had the time off. It wouldnt take long to get it all finnished anyway.

Masqutti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2010 09:56 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 08:36
Good news btw, Yesterday I checked Blitzterrain and it just worked! So, I don't have any idea what has changed after the last time when it didn't work, but obviously, it's not Blitzterrain error!

edit: One odd thing I found out. I have a system under contruction where you can basicly place objects, it saves the objects and data about them inside the level, and you can load from that. When I'll process the objects there laid on the blitzterrain, they'll show up fine but after saving & reloading they doesnt show. Still the polycount really tells you that there should be those objects, but they are not showing. It works with Advanced terrain etc. So it's not my system I guess. :S Only thing changed was transforming the terrain into blitzterrain.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 21:52
Are you trying to add these objects as separate limbs?

If you are then it wont work. Because BlitzTerrain doesnt look at any DBPro object data. DBPro and BlitzTerrains vertexbuffers are completely separate. BlitzTerrains vertex buffers are optimised for terrains. The files dont store any vertexdata anyway. They store the heightmap in a special format for very quick terrain generation.

I'll have to make it more clear about the fact that BlitzTerrain uses a separate system for 3D rendering than DBPro.

There are many advantages to having it separate.

- Things that terrain doesnt need like transparancy is completely removed. Reducing a slight overhead even when this feature isnt used.

- Settings applied for whole terrain instead of individual limbs. This is alot faster because settings dont get changed every single limb.

- Better control of drawing allows for new features such as Faster LOD and frustum culling. And Front to back rendering (stops DX from rendering pixels on top of each other). Quadtrees are possible this way.

- Much faster to generate and update in realtime. These systems are specially designed for terrains.

- Better control of vertex data. In DBPro you HAVE to use FVF. As BlitzTerrain has been coded with C++ and DirectX, I could add vertex declarations which will allow for things like 2 sets of positions for terrain morphing.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 00:36
Is anyone working on an app for this that will allow sculpting, painting and saving of terrains using BT? I have never been any good at making heightmaps or colormaps.

Kaedroho, are you making progress on the streaming terrain functions?

Masqutti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 08:49 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2010 08:58
Quote: "Are you trying to add these objects as separate limbs?

If you are then it wont work. Because BlitzTerrain doesnt look at any DBPro object data. DBPro and BlitzTerrains vertexbuffers are completely separate. BlitzTerrains vertex buffers are optimised for terrains. The files dont store any vertexdata anyway. They store the heightmap in a special format for very quick terrain generation.
"

I mean the object-saving -system is my own making, and saves the objects, and data about them. It doesn't use the blitzterrain saving -system.. Also, I'm generating the BT terrain atm each time the project starts(As it's so friggin' fast so I don't need Save/load at this point ;D ! )

It's just weird, as you say that BT uses own rendering engine but still somehow affects the objects in my project as they do not become visible, but polycount tells they should render(I'm pretty sure about that). Then again, They do render at different situation.. hmmh

My system works with AT terrain.. AT terrain is also processed in the beginning of my project, not loaded from a saved file. I'll look more into this :S

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 10:15
@ Kaedroho,

Speaking of "- Much faster to generate and update in realtime. These systems are specially designed for terrains." how goes it with that and terrain painting?

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 17:51 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2010 17:55
Quote: "It's just weird, as you say that BT uses own rendering engine but still somehow affects the objects in my project as they do not become visible, but polycount tells they should render(I'm pretty sure about that). Then again, They do render at different situation.. hmmh"

BlitzTerrain does use its own rendering engine. But it writes to DBPros D3D Device. So when it draws objects, it tells D3D to draw them in the DBPro Window and use the DBPro Depth buffer.

BlitzTerrain uses the same set of functions that The DBPro rendering engine uses to render objects. And renders them to the same device. The main difference is the way they are called is alot faster.

Quote: "Kaedroho, are you making progress on the streaming terrain functions?"

Nope, sorry. I havent made any progress over the last 3 weeks due to my PC breaking down. I have just about got it fully working again. I will add this in when version 2.1 is done. No new features will be added into 2.0. Only bug fixes.

Quote: "how goes it with that and terrain painting?"

"that" is finnished. I was just talking about the advantages of having a specially made Rendering Engine.

And the same as above for terrain painting. Terrain Painting will be a separate system to everything else. It will be added as an extra. If you learn how to use memblock images you can acctually do this yourself. Because when you edit the texture, the edits will be automatically added to the terrain.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2010 19:01
Nice. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 22:43
I am having issues with the GDK version of 2.0 the previous version I had would load fine but 2.0 I can't compile the demos due to linked errors and something about malloc I believe, Iam at work right now so I can't post the exact details but I will post them when I can, other than that great job on it, I would like to use it asap for m project since I can't use the built in commands

Making dreams possible, one line at a time...
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2010 20:21 Edited at: 27th Apr 2010 20:23
@ Kaedroho,

Thanks for the update. Look forward to hearing from you about the next things to be added on as and when...

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 00:48 Edited at: 28th Apr 2010 00:49
Oneka, try going into project settings and disable link time code generation.

KISTech and Duffer, thanks for the comments

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 01:33
Yeah..I tried that, but no success, it just doesnt work

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 17:43 Edited at: 28th Apr 2010 17:52
I found the problem. Its a problem on my side. Basically, when I added Environment mapping, I forgot to import those functions when I added a new source file. This fix will be released shortly.

PS: you also need to upgrade to GDK 7.4.

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 20:56
Cool you found the problem

I would upgrade to GDK 7.4 but I was having issues with it last time I upgrade, but I will probably try it again and see how it goes, are is there anything that I am really missing out on the upgrade? Like do things run any better?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 21:15
When I upgraded to 7.4 I had problems with existing projects but I have not had any problems with new projects so far.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 13:44
Quote: "I found the problem. Its a problem on my side. Basically, when I added Environment mapping, I forgot to import those functions when I added a new source file. This fix will be released shortly."

Have you fixed this, I downloaded yesterday but I am getting similar linking errors as Oneka.

I know you mentioned having special functions so Fulcrum could make a collision mesh, does this mean I can't do it yet, or do I use BT_MakePhyObject and then use that to build my collision mesh the same as I would for a dark basic terrain?

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 15:35
I currently cant compile for GDK. There are problems with my compiler at the moment.

Quote: "I know you mentioned having special functions so Fulcrum could make a collision mesh, does this mean I can't do it yet, or do I use BT_MakePhyObject and then use that to build my collision mesh the same as I would for a dark basic terrain?"

Nope, the functions allow you to get the vertexdata straight out of the system without having to make a separate collision mesh.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 15:45
Quote: "Nope, the functions allow you to get the vertexdata straight out of the system without having to make a separate collision mesh."

When I say 'make a collision mesh', I am refering to the mesh that the PhysX SDK creates for its simulation.
How do I get the vertex data?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 01:53
Hey kaedroho, I'm getting an odd bug here, any idea what might be causing it? (Screen attached)

I basically just snipped the code for this from the DBP Objects demo.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 12:24
Are you using the DBP objects for collision, visuals or both?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 02:53:34
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 02:53:34