Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / BlitzTerrain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 23:00
The whole download system and most of the website is back online! BlitzTerrain 2.00 R1 release soon!

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 23:20 Edited at: 14th Jul 2010 23:20
If you want an outline of whats in the new version of blitzterrain, look here:

http://www.blitzwerks.co.uk/?page_id=62

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 02:19 Edited at: 15th Jul 2010 20:18
BLITZTERRAIN 2.00 RELEASE IS FINALLY HERE

Its been 18 months in the making... and now it is online and ready for download!

Special thanks to KISTech for helping out with web hosting!

- Fixed texture bug in GDK version
- Added far plane to frustum culling for better performance with large terrains
- Fixed black line on far edges of terrain
- Fixed terrain size bug
- Front to back rendering added for much faster rendering when using complex pixel shaders and hills
- New vertexdata access system added (untested)
- Fixed bug causing normals to stop working
- Added a little more depth in the normals

Heres the download:

DBPro:
ZIP
RAR

Dark GDK:
ZIP
RAR

EDIT: links fixed.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 05:27
WOOHOO!!! I get priority 100 Megabit access!!!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 06:12 Edited at: 15th Jul 2010 06:14
you're the only one getting ANY access. all DL's are "file doesnt exist" [sic], for me.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 14:09
Woops, the problem was the links pointing to the wrong download system. They were going to the old one and not the new one. Its all fixed now.

Weave
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Keadroho, hello, I have beeen watching your thread avidly and it seems you have made a release, to which I congratulate you ...however...prior to today with the previous Blitz dllI my nVidea 8600Gt 1Gig card came to need its drivers updating afew days ago and your blitz terrain object stopped being shown in my test level! I have an Advanced terrain island and a Blitz terrain togethr for comparison/testing, so when I ran my program the Advanced terrain was visible but yours had become invisible although my simulated floor object was still tracking a ground height for it....then after updating my Graphics drivers I saw you had released Blitz Terrain 2 Release 1 on the 15th, which I downloaded and placed in my plugins folder along with the keywords etc as per usual, but now after doing so, my test level compiles ok, but silently crashes after my title page...more to this all your demos packaged with your dll do the same....was wondering if I had stumbled upon an issue, `Fall Out 3` didnt work either until it got re-updated, and although it may be nVideas issue, it seems to have adversly affected the stability of your dll, much to my loss as I had got your Terrains recognizing the light direction really well.
Here`s hoping there is a solution you may be able to suggest.
Again congratulations upon the release, I imagine my issue is in the minority.

Weave
Weave
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh just that I forgot to add that I have the U7.5 version of dBPro

Thanks

Weave
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2010 00:40
I wouldn't think it's an NVidia issue. I've got the 9800GT 512MB card and haven't had that problem with the demos in the old or newest version of BT.

I did have an issue for quite a while with the textures in games getting switched around in video memory and getting all messed up and then the machine locking up.

That turned out to be EVGA setting the default memory speed on the card to high. I used their utility to lower the memory speed and it runs very stable now.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2010 06:32
Ah! The downloads still don't work for me!

This sounds great, though! Does this version have RTMS? (you knew I was going to ask )

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2010 19:15 Edited at: 17th Jul 2010 19:17
The DNS still hasnt updated for everyone yet. Its been 3 days!

Quote: "This sounds great, though! Does this version have RTMS?"

Nope, thats going to be a pro feature.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2010 19:18
Well, I don't know that much about web hosting, but it works now .

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2010 14:35
Over the past 2 days I have been working on adding BlitzTerrain support into ODE. A new function will be added:

ode make static blitzterrain mesh(TerrainID, LODLevel)

This will make ODE take the vertex data straight from blitzterrain without having to create a separate object. This will improve RAM useage.

I got the command working, Its just a bit buggy.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 20:50
Be ready for BlitzTerrain 2.00 R2 Release soon. I'm going away to france on thursday and will not be around for 10 days.

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 00:23
If anyone wants to ask any questions I'll do my best to answer, not sure how much help I'll be though.

smaas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2010 12:33
I hope you had a good time in France.

I tried the new version but it doesn't work on my computer. The program crashes at the command "g_TerrainID=BT MakeTerrain()". I've no idea why. I tried dbpro 7.4 and 7.5 but nothing works
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2010 20:18
Hey, as you know, we're using BlitzTerrain in OpenFPS...Well, I am having a problem, it might be a bug in our code, but whenever I try to paste an image or sprite to the screen, the zdepth for the terrain spazzes out, parts of the terrain aren't rendered, and it displays behind other objects. It's really odd, I think I know the line of code that's causing it, but I don't know why exactly. pasting an image in the Environment Mapping BT demo did the same thing, so it's definitely a terrain bug...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2010 04:56
@thenerd - It isn't your code, I can demonstrate this glitch with a simple BT and SPRITE demo.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 18:58 Edited at: 4th Aug 2010 19:00
Sorry I'm a bit late getting back. Our internet cable was stolen.

More Info: http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/8302263.Hundreds_cut_off_after_cable_theft/

We just got reconnected!

Yep, it does look like thats causing problems... I'll get that on the list for R2.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 20:11
They should start replacing those segments with fiber.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 20:15 Edited at: 4th Aug 2010 21:53
Problem is that there isnt many people in my village (about 1000) so BT wont do it as they wont make much money from it .

EDIT: Just did a download check. It seems that the DBPro version is ALOT more popular. It always has been more popular and DBPro usually gets 2x more downloads than GDK. Now DBPro is thrashing the GDK version.

DBPro version has 90 downloads
GDK version has just 16 downloads only one or 2 in the past week

I think I'm going to make a new terrain demo but also make it available for GDK to see if I can get more people trying out BlitzTerrain. Alot of GDK users out there but very few know about BlitzTerrain.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 00:11 Edited at: 5th Aug 2010 00:13
It might pay for itself in the long run if those people just keep on stealing the copper cables. If it keeps happening their insurance rates are going to go up, if they even bother to insure stuff like that. They probably just write it off on their taxes.

I'm moving all of my current projects to GDK, so a little more love on the GDK side would be cool.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 00:43
thenerd and BMacZero, Have either if you tried AdvancedSPRITES? I am looking through the DBPro source now to see if it does anything to the Z buffer which will effect BlitzTerrain. I think changing the render order to make BlitzTerrain render before sprites will solve the problem.

smass, If I make a debug version, can you try it so I can find out exactly where it crashes in the code?

The code for make terrain is just setting values. Are you using an error being reported by BlitzTerrain or are you checking that it does acctually crash on that line?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 02:08
Quote: "thenerd and BMacZero, Have either if you tried AdvancedSPRITES? I am looking through the DBPro source now to see if it does anything to the Z buffer which will effect BlitzTerrain. I think changing the render order to make BlitzTerrain render before sprites will solve the problem."

I went to test that and discovered accidentally why I can't compiled the OpenFPS source.

Programs without BT compile and run fine, but when I try to compile and run any code that uses BT, the EXE is created but crashes immediately upon running. Using debug prompts shows that this crash is happening before any of the code is being executed.

This has only been happening since I switched to Windows 7 (64 bit). When thenerd compiled the source for me, the EXE ran fine, so it seems to me that my computer is screwing up the compilation in some way specific to Blitz.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 02:28
cool, glad to hear you're closer to finding a solution, mitch had the same problem, so I think it might just be an OS-specific thing...

Quote: "thenerd and BMacZero, Have either if you tried AdvancedSPRITES? I am looking through the DBPro source now to see if it does anything to the Z buffer which will effect BlitzTerrain. I think changing the render order to make BlitzTerrain render before sprites will solve the problem."

Yes, we use it in openfps for the gui system, and that has no problems so I'll start using those commands anyway.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 12:57
@kaedroho
Aren't sprites simply disabling the Z buffer?

Easy to fix with "device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZENABLE, TRUE)"

[b]
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 15:09
Diggsey. BlitzTerrain does that already.

BMacZero. Sounds like a problem with BlitzTerrains constructor, it would usually crash when it cant find the AddToRenderList Command. Are you using DBPro 7.4?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 16:44
I could have sworn I was on 7.5, but updated and now it works!

That was easy.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 16:47
awesome!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Could anybody please provide a small example how to generate terrain from a heightmap with this system, all my attempts resulted in errors

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 03:37
BT comes with some nice examples.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 05:50 Edited at: 8th Aug 2010 21:30
Hmm... I didn't notice that. Sorry, and thanks, I'll check them out.

EDIT: is the pick object command not compatible with BlitzTerrain? :/

loop

Pick object always returns 0.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 23:55
Nope it isnt. You will need to create DBPro objects of your terrain with the BT MakeSectorObjectCommand.

You simply get the number of sectors with this:

SectorCount=BT GetSectorCount(TerrainID,0)

Then you make a for loop, going from 1 to the value returned in the above command. You then execute this for every sector:

BT MakeSectorObject TerrainID,0,SectorID,ObjectID

Replace SectorID with the current sector your are building, and objectid needs to have a fresh new object every time this is called.

Once the object is created, you call this for each one

Position object ObjectID,BT GetSectorPositionX(TerrainID,0,SectorID),BT GetSectorPositionY(TerrainID,0,SectorID),BT GetSectorPositionZ(TerrainID,0,SectorID)

Then you have successfully created DBPro objects for your terrain which you can use with the pick object command. If you want to improve speed, set all the 0s in the above lines of code to 1 to reduce the detail by half, 2 to reduce it by another half, etc. The LODLevels must already be made before with the BT SetTerrainLOD function.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah thanks! That's great x'D

I take it that once these objects are created, you can just hide them and the terrain would still be visable?

Also, I was wondering when you plan to release the full version of this, and how much it's going to cost.

Thanks

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2010 00:06
Quote: "I take it that once these objects are created, you can just hide them and the terrain would still be visable?"

They are created already excluded. And yes the terrain will still use the BlitzTerrain rendering system to render.

Quote: "Also, I was wondering when you plan to release the full version of this, and how much it's going to cost."

There will be a full version of this made. Talks with TGC have already begun. The cost is undecided but I think it will be £20.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 02:28 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 02:29
I got phase 2 of the RTTMS in today.

Phase 1: Ability to access vertexdata, use/change it and put it back
Phase 2: Ability to call an update handler to put the changed data back into directx
Phase 3: Ability for the user to use the above features to edit vertexdata

So basically, now the RTTMS is fully working. You can lock and edit vertexdata just like you can in DBPro objects. I just have to add the commands to run these commands to allow the user to change the terrain.

The new RTTMS allows other dlls to lock, access and edit vertexdata. If the dll says the vertexdata has been edited and has shown which parts have been edited. BlitzTerrain will call a list of update handlers. Theres 1 permanent update handler and thats the one that puts the data back into DirectX. Update handlers can also be created by other dlls for things like updating collision in the background when the user edits the terrain.

I might make Phase 3 in an open source dll to show dll programmers how to use the functions. And so people can add their own custom brushes.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 19:53
Outstanding!! I can't wait to see this in action!

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 04:37
I got a test done. It edits every single vertex on a 256x256 terrain and maintains 600 - 800 FPS. Thats down from 800 - 1000 FPS.

Version 1 managed to do 15 FPS while editing every vertex on a 64x64 terrain, so this is alot faster.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 05:46
Karl,
Things seem to be going quite well with the plugin. It's one of the only reasons I check TGC every now and then. It's nice to see you're still working hard at it. I hope it pays off!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I got a test done. It edits every single vertex on a 256x256 terrain and maintains 600 - 800 FPS. Thats down from 800 - 1000 FPS.

Version 1 managed to do 15 FPS while editing every vertex on a 64x64 terrain, so this is alot faster."

That's a huge speed improvement! I still have to run the examples in compadiblity mode, but example 2 was flying at 5000 fps!(currenly posted version of course)

swis
Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 14:52
ok, i tried compiling blitz terrain. it was fine, until it reached these lines:

If I make it any bigger, it gives me an error. If I make it smaller, it gives me an error. I have included a pic of the error.

here's the whole terrain code:

Thanks!

CHECK OUT SOME MUSIC FROM MY NEW TECHNO CD! TECHNOKINESIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8KedfgVv0
ALSO, CHECK OUT MY NEW TECHNO CD! http://www.imageposeidon.com/

Attachments

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 14:57 Edited at: 14th Aug 2010 15:01
@Mugen Wizardry, your post isnt here yet, but I got it in an email.

Try putting your LOD Distances in acending order BlitzTerrain wont like it if you have a lower LODLevel closer than a higher one. And in BlitzTerrain free, the LODLevels are limited to 3. You wont need 4 LODLevels unless your terrain has a heightmap which is bigger than 1024x1024 anyway.

BT SetTerrainLOD terrain, 4
BT SetTerrainLODDistance terrain, 1, 50.0
BT SetTerrainLODDistance terrain, 2, 100.0
BT SetTerrainLODDistance terrain, 3, 150.0

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 19:18
ok, i tried

and it crashed on line BT_SetTerrainLOD terrain, 3

i then tried

and it gave me 'Invalid LOD level - BT SetTerrainLOD'

why is it crashing?

If u want, I can make a zip of my entire project for u.

Thanks, kaedroho!

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 19:53
Remove the 3rd line. It will crash if you have too many LOD distances. LOD distances range from 1 to 1 less of the LOD levels.

Heres how it works:

LOD 1 (highest) will be visible from 0 to LOD distance 1.
LOD 2 will be visible from LOD distance 1 to LOD distance 2.
LOD 3 will be visible from LOD distance 2 onwards.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 21:53
still crashed.

i\'ve included the whole project.

thanks, kaedroho!

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 22:02
still crashed.

i've included the whole project minus the objects and sky folder, cuz the uploader says the rar is too big.

if you need the objects & sky folder, then go here, and download Land Generator:

http://edam1740.nl/landgen/download.html

and copy the objects & sky folder into the main folder. do NOT copy the landscape generator's terrain folder to the main folder. or it won't be my terrain.

i've attached the source & terrain folder!

thanks, kaedroho!

Attachments

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 22:22
Does it crash with a BlitzTerrain, DBPro or Windows error?
I cant view your attachments yet as the MODs haven't approved you.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
kaedroho.. are you talking to yourself?

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 22:41
it crashes with the windows error

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 23:34
lol . No, he's talking to Mugen Wizardry, who is currently noob-slapped for not trying to solve his own problems, which is why I suspect the mods have rejected his posts.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 08:01:19
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 08:01:19