Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / XenoPhysics - A Havok Wrapper for DarkBasic Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 18:32
lol.. i have half a year left \o/
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 20:44
Quote: "I just said that because I never would've expected a senior to be able to program some thing like this.................. I myself am a sophomore."

never underestimate yourself, it doesn't matter what age you are!!! personally, I think that younger people can be better programmers because we grew up with the technology, and we can be more creative...

ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 04:33
Well done on finishing school Xarshi.
Now get back to work on the plugin... NOW!!! Just kidding.

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 05:32
no doubt,kids these days are bright. I'm just glad so many of you youngsters are making the time to do this stuff, instead of wasting all your time.
It will reap major rewards in the future.
Keep up the good work, ALL of you!
ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 09:31
Quote: "no doubt,kids these days are bright."

That reminds of a joke when i was on a plane.

One of the cabin crew said "Please Turn of you mobile phones or put it into flight mode. If you don't know how, just ask one of your children". It was so funny how she was so serious.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 14:06

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 00:19
The young people these days have some great languages at their disposal. If only C++ had really been around when I was that age.

Do keep up the good work though guys, it will serve you well.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 20:56
I am at school too and still have a year left...

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 06:53 Edited at: 1st Jun 2010 06:54
I'm actually kinda freaking out right now. I apparently still have the possibility of not graduating if I don't pass my advanced composition class. Which I have a 54% in, with multiple papers ungraded. Let's hope I don't do poorly on my research paper over general relativity, as that is the major grade. I really need to just know my grade so I'm not incapable of doing anything else out of anxiousness...

Oh, and it is not because I'm a bad writer that I'm currently failing that class. It's because, if you were to look on my grade sheet, it is dominated with zeros. I, for some reason, like to NOT do anything in school. It really needs to stop. Especially because I'm severely bored in all the classes I take.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 10:38
Quote: "I think that younger people can be better programmers because we grew up with the technology, and we can be more creative..."

I think younger people make better programmers because their brains still work!!

I'm 37 and grew up programming since the ZX81 came out (my Dad was a programmer using binary...), I understand computers better than a lot of people because of the things my Dad taught me 25-30 years ago (even though I only recently got back into programming after being a blacksmith for about 15 years)

Don't forget that a practical understanding and wealth of experience of how things in the real world work is just as vital as a vivid imagination and to spend as much time looking at the real world as the virtual one!

Good luck to those of you still with exams to pass!

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 18:32
Quote: "Oh, and it is not because I'm a bad writer that I'm currently failing that class. It's because, if you were to look on my grade sheet, it is dominated with zeros. I, for some reason, like to NOT do anything in school. It really needs to stop. Especially because I'm severely bored in all the classes I take."

Sounds like me when I was in highschool. I slept in all of my classes (except programming, lol) and left highschool with a really poor GPA. I just wasn't interested in academics and didn't care much for my grades at all. The only reason they let me graduate was, even though my grades were so low, it was due to homework being mostly 0's, but my test grades were top of the class, typically 95-100.

Regardless of my highschool GPA, I earned a full-ride scholarship to college simply because I had a very high ACT score.

We understand if you can't get back to the grind on this project right away. Life comes first after all.

The one and only,

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 07:09
Yes yes, will, very soon I shall be able to dedicate my pitiful existence to this plugin for four months. So it will undoubtedly fix itself. Just put up with my delaying for a bit longer fellas, thanks for putting up with me thus far. I feel like I have been keeping this going for far too long.

In my next release I'll include fixed versions of everything I can. So I'll have some fixed triangle collisions, actually working vehicles for the most part (I think four wheeled vehicles work now? Maybe? I dunno...)

Anyways, very soon I will begin working on this once more. When this is done I'll dive into more plugins. I want to bring back that blackout project with these since I was never good enough to contribute anything to it whilst it was alive.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 18:35 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2010 18:36
Has anyone dug into the details any further to discover what will be required if we want to use this in a commercial project? Speaking more of Havok than the plugin Xarshi, as you probably know by now I'll pay whatever you want for your work.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 19:13 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2010 19:16
It says here on the havok site that you can release a commercial game without even mentioning havok in your game (Logo etc) and without a licence, as long as you sell it for $10 or less. If you plan to sell your game for over that you will need to request a free licence, so pretty sweet deal! Haha

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 21:03
I do not intend on selling this anyways, so you are in luck KISTech.

And I think I forgot to respond to someone asking for the source. It's not complete, so don't think it is. But here it is.

It doesn't have any binaries with it, just the source. You need to set your havok include directories and blah blah. I dunno, if you are at the level to mess around with this I'm sure you can get it to work

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 21:30
@Conor B,
What if it's an MMO and you're charging less than $10 a month? It's probably still the same though. Can't complain about a Free license.

@Xarshi,
Rock on dude! Rock on!

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 21:32
Quote: "source"

YEAH

Cool!

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 21:38
I'd say you would need the licence for that! Sure still free anyway! And not the first thing to worry about if your making an MMO anyway!

BTW did intel do a deal with havok, aka give them em loadsa money so that they would release it free so that we could make games for intel hardware etc?

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 21:46 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2010 21:49
Probably. Good move on Intel's part.

I'm planning on using this for my next 2 projects, along with BlitzTerrain.

The Viking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 00:55
Hey will there any way to use this for any normal collision checks? or is it mainly going to be used for the physics aspects?

www.myspace.com/norseblod
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 02:09
Quote: "Hey will there any way to use this for any normal collision checks? or is it mainly going to be used for the physics aspects?"

Well, I guess you could maybe use it as a collision library if I had included more stuff for that, but it's primarily intended for physics. I can possibly look in to having more collision oriented stuff I guess.

The Viking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 04:06
Well, it's not a big deal. Sparky's collision works fine, though, I think this would work better, since it has certain things like the character controller head, just was thinking. Not a big deal. Just needed to know if it was going to have it or not, if not then I can continue using sparky's without worries.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 07:36 Edited at: 8th Jun 2010 07:36
Alright everyone, I'm about to begin work on this once more as I have officially graduated. I have, for the most part, nothing else to do for the better part of three months or so.

I also found out what was wrong with vehicles. It was something really small and stupid. So those will be fixed in their next release.

I'll also check up on triangle meshes for everyone. I'm not sure if those are really broken or what, but I'll definitely look in to a new method of creating them.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 09:35
I just bought "Saltek Cyborg evo Force Feedback Joystick"

with XenPhysics I can add even more to the games
I will make

the one game I have in mind
I know the user rily needs to know how badly they are doing
weather they plan to be the worst or the best player in the game

there are so many parts to making a game
it's worse than pealing the layers off an onion and far more
pain full

but I keep chipping away at it with the hops that I can
kill the beast that laughing ;o)

iv'e playing around with programing for a long time
just when I think I understand something a new twist
shows up and I have to rethink to get closer to ware
I want to be , I know all programmers have faced one problem
or anther but the answer eventually shows up

Resourceful@shaw.ca

If a thought is Just a thought whats the main thought ?
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 08:15
Quote: "with XenPhysics I can add even more to the games
I will make "

That's the goal! I'm glad you can find use for it!

On another note: does anyone know any quick ways to generate string tables? That doesn't involve typing it all out myself? It's quite a bothersome task for me.

Kryogenik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 09:25
"I also found out what was wrong with the vehicles" that's good, I'll probably use them for my game. What about ragdolls? I want to be able to do it like in TF2, where you kill an enemy and they fall in the the direction you shot them. Also, is there anyway to attach part of the ragdoll to something? Like if you used an arrow and shot them and they would be stuck against the wall with the arrow? That probably doesn't make sense, there's a screenshot that shows what I'm talking about. Anyway, nice work on this

Codesurge is so awesome, thanks Hyrichter.

Attachments

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 09:48
Ragdolls don't exist at the moment, but I assure you they will eventually.

The Viking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 05:49
Hey, another quick question. Does the "xeno make rigid body static mesh" command work, or is there issues with it currently, because I have attempted to use this with a .x model I created, and it crashes? Thanks

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 06:06
Quote: "Hey, another quick question. Does the "xeno make rigid body static mesh" command work, or is there issues with it currently, because I have attempted to use this with a .x model I created, and it crashes? Thanks"

I don't think it does. I am redoing that one anyways. I did it in a stupid way to begin with.

The Viking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 06:07
Haha... alright, that would be great! Thanks!

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 06:22
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 21:15
So, any new source code?

Kinda want the source code so I can port it over to DGDK instead of sitting here waiting for you to first finish up the DBP part, then porting it over to DGDK

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 22:00
Actually there is someone who is working on a GDK version. And the source code is above. I'm redoing major parts of the code right now so it's basically broken. I did some stupid things at the beginning of this project, and I'm fixing them now. This will be a much more stable plugin when the beta comes out as opposed to the alpha posted earlier.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 21:33 Edited at: 12th Jun 2010 01:17
Quick Update

I hate to do this to you all, but I am changing the way this plug-in works. It will lose some of its ease, but this is for the better. I am making it mandatory that you create shapes before rigid bodies, and supplying, just like in native Havok, a vector (or in your case it will be three floats) and/or radius. This also means that you can use the same shape for every rigid body technically, which has its benefits.

As well, I have eight shape commands I have added. These commands transform shapes, so you can offset the way they work. These eight commands are as follows:

All of this will come into play with a rigid body editor I'll make eventually. I intend on making a decent editor for many features of this plug-in with managed C++ eventually. For now, however, I am more focused on finishing it.

And it is great to be able to work on it some now!

Edit

On another note, if anyone wants to make a logo or something for XenoPhysics that'd be awesome! And more models would be great! I would like this to start looking more professional, but I am a horrible artist.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 03:09
If taking away ease of use increases flexibility of the plugin, then I'm all for it!

I would much rather be able to have more control over the physics than to have them working in 3 commands.

The one and only,

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 03:34
Quote: "If taking away ease of use increases flexibility of the plugin, then I'm all for it! "

Ditto

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 04:54
Great to hear.

On a side note, I'm going to change the command "xeno set shape position" to "xeno set shape translation." That just would fit better. And possibly the rotation one to "xeno set shape orientation" but I'm not entirely sure.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 05:21
just some thing to keep in mind

a command name should be in keeping
with the purpose of what it is suppose to do

it's likely user like me
would want the command name to be easily remember
and strait to it's function

have a good
day / evening / night / week / weekend

Resourceful@shaw.ca

If a thought is Just a thought whats the main thought ?
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 05:25
Indeed, that is why I am considering the name changes. They aren't really positioning, more so translating the figure as well as setting its orientation. After that the shape will be updated by havok with regards to its orientation and translation. Which is quite nifty in my opinion.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 07:54 Edited at: 12th Jun 2010 08:45
Quite Relieved Update

Alright guys, triangle meshes will now work perfectly. I forgot the golden rule that for whatever reason, you can't return floats from functions in dlls in dbp, but only DWORDs. So I was loading the functions using the format: "typedef float (*pfnGetVertexDataPositionX)(int);" when in actuality I should have used: "typedef DWORD (*pfnGetVertexDataPositionX)(int);" and then converted it to a float for usage.

I am quite happy to say that triangle meshes will work, at least that is what it seems like.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 08:20
just a thought check how you got it put the information together
one command that is not the right command would give it other ideas

if it thinks there is more info needed and it's not getting it
that would be my second thought

I hope this helps ;o)

Resourceful@shaw.ca

If a thought is Just a thought ~ so whats the main thought ?
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 08:46
Quote: "just a thought check how you got it put the information together
one command that is not the right command would give it other ideas

if it thinks there is more info needed and it's not getting it
that would be my second thought

I hope this helps ;o)"

Yes yes, I had actually figured it out a good second after posting my above post. However, thank you for being ready to help!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 13:54 Edited at: 13th Jun 2010 13:55
@Xarshi
If you're interested, you can't return floats directly because C++ leaves floats on the FPU stack when you return one from a function (to save time, because you can only do arithmetic on floats in the FPU, and it's pointless moving it out and back again) whereas DBPro expects all return values to be in the EAX CPU register. (Which C++ uses normally for everything except floats)

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 07:15 Edited at: 15th Jun 2010 07:19
for giggles, i started playing with a logo idea for this. figured i'd share it:

i doubt i could re-create or maintain the exact style if more was to be added but i do have the .psd layers at ~750x750.

by the way, it looks better on a black bg (what doesn't? ). <shrugs>

enjoy

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Attachments

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 11:40
Xarshi

it's happens to me I get the answer before I ask the question

but it's good to get the point ;o)

Resourceful@shaw.ca

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 11:41
I like it the logo

if the "E" was bit larger and the "N" and "O" had bit more defination
that would hit the mark

a animated 3d version was created

I saw in one example some ware ware a bunch of dots came together
to make up shapes I think that would suit the logo
when it put into a completed project as the the program starting to run

just something to think about

I have a very limited ability when it comes to programing

but when it comes to do with what I have found
I seem to come up with what even surprise me

Resourceful@shaw.ca

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 18:29 Edited at: 17th Jun 2010 18:30
Hey Xarshi, first of all you did an awesome job and I think I'm going to use it in the project I'm currently planning (if it doesn't die because of "too big, just one person, fails miserably" anyways )

I just got a question I've been thinking about: Could XenoPhysics be used in a Multiplayer-Game written in DBPro (using DarkNet)? I was thinking that the server handles the simulation, clients give their "user input" and then get their new positions and everything... But what if you want to run a seperate simulation on each client to predict movement (wait maybe I'm confusing stuff and Movement-prediction is typically handled by the server too?... ) or calculating "not so important stuff" (think of Ragdolls, destruction/debris, ... dunno) on the client?

Maybe you/someone has more experience with this and can tell me "Don't do it!" or something
And I'm really just thinking of pushing crates around for now, not simulations of huge awesomeness
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 18:40
GO FOR THE AWESOMENESS!!

Movement prediction.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

It has some good information.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 19:25
First off, I'm sure that even if I fail, someone will pick it up since I'm releasing the source (already released one version of it). So no worries there. And about networking, I haven't given it that much thought. I would probably send input from the client to the server personally. I'm not sure though.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 21:29 Edited at: 17th Jun 2010 21:30
Great, looking forward to see this working in a dbp/gdk game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:04:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:04:37