Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 23:09 Edited at: 7th Jan 2012 23:10
The stream has some problems, yeah :/

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 06:30
Watched all of it, 6:30am now. I guess I'll completely replace sleep by ponies today...
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 14:50
VA? What's that?

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 14:56 Edited at: 8th Jan 2012 15:53
Voice Actress. They had Ashleigh Ball (Rainbow Dash & Applejack), Andrea Libman (Fluttershy & Pinkie) and Nicole Oliver (Princess Celestia & Cheerilee).
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 16:31 Edited at: 8th Jan 2012 17:02
LOL did you see the part where they sold those toys and stuff? Those people are ludicrous! The RD-pillow was sold for 600$!

I still think Derpy should have placed first place for the costume contest...

Oh, and Lauren Faust in person is going to show up for the next BronyCon! I'm so excited for that!

@ Everypony

Who holds the license for My Little Pony? Is it Hasbro?

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 17:22
Quote: "@ Everypony

Who holds the license for My Little Pony? Is it Hasbro?"

Yup it's owned by Hasbro. As far as I can tell anyways. Why do you ask?

And yeah i saw the auction too, that was strange
But the money will be used for the next BroNYCon, right? There should be a european con sometime aswell
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 17:29
Quote: "Why do you ask?"

I just wanted to confirm that somewhere, that's all.

Quote: "But the money will be used for the next BroNYCon, right? There should be a european con sometime aswell"

YES there has to be a European con! Then I could actually visit it. However, I don't know how successful it would be... No one in Switzerland even slightly understands Bronyism. They all thought I was crazy and should grow up when I told them about it I think you have to be able to speak English for that.

TheComet

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 17:47
Quote: "Who holds the license for My Little Pony? Is it Hasbro?""

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is an animated television series that premiered on October 10, 2010 on the United States cable network The Hub, and is based on Hasbro's My Little Pony line of toys and animated works. The series is produced by Hasbro Studios and DHX Media Vancouver (formerly Studio B Productions). The show is currently in its second season in the United States, and is broadcasting internationally in dozens of countries in over ten languages.

source: wikipedia

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 18:30
Hasbro owns the IP, yeah. Studio B just produce the cartoon for them.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 18:32
Alright, thanks guys

@ CoffeeGrunt

I finally listened to your interview and you sounded nothing like what I pictured (who does?) I really should read your fan fic, would you mind linking it?

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 18:46 Edited at: 8th Jan 2012 18:59
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2365/Allegrezza

Oh and hey Comet I didn't know you're from Switzerland.
Germany here, if you couldn't tell by my "Location" on the left hand side

Edit: Btw I read "My little Dashie" yesterday. Another one for my list of "fanfictions that made me [nearly] cry (most likely in the middle of the night or early morning)" >.>
But that's totally because of not enough sleep and all that. Pinkie Pie swear.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I finally listened to your interview and you sounded nothing like what I pictured (who does?)"

I pictured CG as one of those people who sell cars. Comet, you and CG sounded like the inverse of what I expected Now I have to wonder about Quik and Cormorant

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 19:17
I'm American. I know that really doesn't help but whatever...

Soon I'll be making songs on Youtube with my friends being my producers/band, and then you can hear my voice. I don't think I can post it on here though, since I'm younger then 18 I'm not allowed to post my face. Maybe I can just do a picture thing with voiceover?

I wrote several parodies over the course of the last year, most of which involve ponies.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 20:19
@ RedFlames - Finally a brony that's somewhat close to my location! I live in Baselland, Switerzland. Are you close to the border too?

Quote: "I pictured CG as one of those people who sell cars. Comet, you and CG sounded like the inverse of what I expected Now I have to wonder about Quik and Cormorant "

It's always painful to hear the voice of someone you've only read about for the first time; It shatters your imaginary person you've projected in place so far (unless of course the person is identical). I wonder what you sound like now

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 22:14 Edited at: 8th Jan 2012 22:16
Quote: "@ RedFlames - Finally a brony that's somewhat close to my location! I live in Baselland, Switerzland. Are you close to the border too?"

Nope.. I live in the midwest of Germany, close to the border to the netherlands. Google Maps says 550km to Basel.

Oh and wikipedia just confirmed that...
Quote: "Basel-Landschaft [...], auch Baselland und Baselbiet genannt, ist ein deutschsprachiger Kanton im Nordwesten der Schweiz. "

Also sprichst du deutsch?
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 22:19
I spreche Deutsch...ein teil.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 22:26
Natürlich, ich spreche ziemlich gut Deutsch Ich bin in der Schweiz aufgewachsen und konnte seit Kindergarten Deutsch reden. Ich habe noch ein paar probleme mit den richtigen Fällen (der, den, dem, des) wie du warscheinlich scho gemerkt hast Versteh einer warum wir 3 Artikel in Deutsch haben (der, die, das), und in Englisch gibt es nur "the"

Well it's great to know that Germany at least has some bronies... What do your friends think of the whole thing? Mine looked at me in disgust and told me I should grow up

TheComet

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 22:41
*Opens Google Translate.*

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 22:49 Edited at: 9th Jan 2012 00:33
Heh yeah I think that's difficult to get used to, and to not mess up the cases if you're used to english (or any other language without those specific articles, using gender/case on it... Though I don't think german is the only language, which does that, right? )
I only speak german natively and obviously english, no other languages I'm afraid. Also, @CoffeeGrunt nice
Edit: oh what the hell Coffee You will need ze magiks for that.

About my friends/family: I haven't really told anyone yet. Haven't come out of the closet/stable yet I think there are some at my university atleast familiar with MLP, dunno if they're real bronies though. (Started studying computer science [oder "Informatik" auf deutsch ^^] 3 month ago. )

Oh and atleast we have some words that exist in both languages: Kindergarten, Rucksack, Bratwurst, Doppelgänger, Weltschmerz, Angst, Schadenfreude, and probably a few more

And now have some JackleApp. (I loved it when he sang this song at BroNYCon )

(he did this one, right? IIRC anyways, it was way to late)

Edit:

What in the hay is that
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline

Quote: "It's always painful to hear the voice of someone you've only read about for the first time; It shatters your imaginary person you've projected in place so far (unless of course the person is identical). I wonder what you sound like now "

Just imagine what pics would do Never post pictures of yourself Cormorant. I refuse to believe you're not sweetie belle, who works undercover as batmare.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 22:55
Quote: "I refuse to believe you're not sweetie belle, who works undercover as batmare."

That is now my alias. Forever.

And I take German in school, but I'm only in German 2.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 22:58
Unless the writer is writing about him(herself i dont see how it could shatter the bricks...

but yeah xD

you guys have ruined me, I am currently watching Power puff girls Z because my friend showed it to me, so i watched it and thought: I watch MLP, this is hardly worse...

before MLP I would never start watching it >__<' YOU GUYS ARE EVIL! XD

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 23:12
Wait no, I wouldn't be batmare, I would be Batmane. Mare implies I'm female. >:l

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 23:12
Ich bin ein Berlinner! Und mein Deutsche ist schlect. Hallo, ich liebe dich!

And because I love you guys:

I think it's an awesome concept.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wait no, I wouldn't be batmare, I would be Batmane. Mare implies I'm female. >:l"

You're Sweetie Belle .... or...

^^^ ??

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 23:19
he better be a female, so i dont have to feel bad being attracted to him

*jk*

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 23:26 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 01:17
Quote: "he better be a female"

Quote: "he better be a female, so i dont have to feel bad being attracted to him"

shhh.... He's/She's not supposed to know! (yet) *slinks away* It wasn't us. It was comet.

also, to tie my other thread in... look near the blue dot
http://canvasrider.com/tracks/898685
so stealth

Edit: I love you Quik.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 00:21 Edited at: 1st Apr 2012 22:36
Quote: "And I take German in school, but I'm only in German 2."

That's cool! So, how 'experienced' are you in german now?

Quote: "Ich bin ein Berlinner! Und mein Deutsche ist schlect. Hallo, ich liebe dich!"

Okie dokie

Now you'll all get to watch the german (official) version of S01E01:
[you tube]REMOVED too :3[/you tube]
And yes they obviously fit PERFECTLY and do NOT sound weird/wrong/stupid. <.< ... >.> ...
Edit: I mean it is probably okay for the intended audience, but not great otherwise.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 08:01 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 08:15
I think its surprisingly good ._.'

edit: Rainbow dash was epicly good

edit: mY GOD FLUTTERSHY WAS PERFECT!!!!

alright, everyone was perfect..

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 11:20
New episode : 9/10

I'll watch the German dub in a bit

TheComet

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 12:28 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 12:32
I'll see what I understand of the German episode, but we've learned the basics. Foods, culture, locations, chores and tasks, we're learning directions at the moment.

After watching the intro, I understood most of it, although bits and pieces I couldn't follow. But I think, had I not seen the show before, I would have understood the plot by watching that.

And I understand. About Sweetie Belle being female and being attractive to you. Both are things we just can't change.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 13:04
Quote: "Edit: I love you Quik."

AWWWW <3

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 16:30 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 16:33
Well, maybe It's not as bad as I though it is... I might be slightly biased, because I don't like movies/television series with german voices, because the "real" voices of the actors always sound better. (I used to like watching HIMYM and TBBT for example on german TV, until I heard the original versions and got used to that. Also you can't always translate the jokes and idioms and everything literally, there will be slight (or bigger) changes... )

So I watched the episode I posted again. The voices for Twilight and Spike seem to work for the most part. Applejack obviously couldn't have the "southern american" accent in german, but to me she just sounds to much like everyone else... they might've done that better, but I dunno. To Quik: Why did you think RD was 'epicly good'? :o To me she sounds too old, and doesn't really fit that well... But to I'm comparing AJ and RD to Ashleigh Ball, who did a perfect job, atleast to me. Same for Tabitha St. Germain as Rarity, although the german voice seems to fit very well. Fluttershy: not quiet enough, and umm, not sqeaky enough like Andrea Libman (). Pinkie, I guess that works okay aswell. Must be hard to match the german dialogs to the hyperactive original version. xD
So yeah, I still love the english version, and think the german is (in comparison) rather 'meh'.

I also noticed a translation error, during the scene when Twi meets Rarity:
Twi: "I'll just check on the decorations, and then I'll be out of your hair." Rarity: "Out of MY hair? What about YOUR hair?"

Twi: "Ich wollte nur kurz die Deko checken, dann kommt meine Mähne dran." Rarity: "Ich meinte doch MEINE Mähne, wieso denn DEINE?"

Literally that (kind of) translates to: "I just wanted to check on the deco(-rations), after that [I'll check/fix/whatever] my mane." Rarity: "I was talking about MY mane, why YOURS?"

I know that "I'll be out of your hair" is an idiomatic (or colloquial?) phrase, and can not be translated literally. But that german dialog doesn't make any sense at all (What Rarity is saying)

In case you were wondering, here's the second part of the first episode (still is S01E01 'Elemente der Harmonie' Part 1 but the others can be found on the same channel too.)

I guess now I'll have to watch some more of the german version, instead of just saying 'it sucks'. Confound these ponies, I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS D: [Though I'm curious about the songs now, as stupid as they probably will sound to me.]
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 16:44
Quote: " Why did you think RD was 'epicly good'? :o To me she sounds too old,"

because she sounds like rainbow dash .__.' Atleast imo ^^

I am considerfing getting an Fluttershy pin for my hat (if it exists/ci can find one)

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 16:57 Edited at: 1st Apr 2012 22:37
Okay, [h ref=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= REMOVED #t=3m59s]click here[/h ref] (should link to 3:59 in the second episode)
Quote: ""FLATASHAI, schnell!""

I know, I know they're just german voice actors, I don't know how old they actually are, i guess their english isn't that good... But that sounded worse than Photo Finish in the original version. xD Can't be that hard to pronounce the names correctly, seriously.

I just didn't like RD during her first scene, maybe she gets better (after THIS, that is)

But I still think they could've done better, and also, aren't we kinda offtopic? It's still MLP:FiM related, yeah, but why are we discussing the german version

Edit: RD voice actor is 26 years old, so yeah. I can't think of any reason they would've done that on purpose either. (The pronounciations, i mean)
Oh and btw the 'Giggle at the ghosties' song was pretty good.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 17:03
Quote: "Can't be that hard to pronounce the names correctly, seriously."

except for that it is...
they pronounce letters differently then us..

have you even seen a WW2 movie? or played a WW2 game? The germans can barely speak the english words... but SHOES their accent is soooooo amazing <3

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 17:10 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 17:14
Quote: "

except for that it is...
they pronounce letters differently then us..

have you even seen a WW2 movie? or played a WW2 game? The germans can barely speak the english words... but SHOES their accent is soooooo amazing <3
"

Not sure if trolling.

I know that I am german, learned english in school like everyone else, I do not live in the times of WW2, and I certainly can pronounce the names of my favorite ponies

But yeah I guess I do have a geman accent, as my teachers are were german as well, and all that. Pretty much anyone speaking a foreign language has an accent, as long as they haven't lived in the country of the foreign language for years... also I wanna hear you guys speak german, that'd be hilarious too (Same as me speaking english, probably. We should have a voice-chat internet conversation thingy sometime )
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 17:11
Quote: "Not sure if trolling.

I know that I am german, learned english in school like everyone else, I do not live in the times of WW2, and I certainly can pronounce the names of my favorite ponies "

never heard a german person pronounce english like.. english .__.'

maybe iam just living under my rock..-

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 17:18 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 18:41
Quote: "
never heard a german person pronounce english like.. english .__.'

maybe iam just living under my rock..-"

Sorry, I ninja-edited on you there... (my post above). But yes I speak english with a german accent, because I am natively german. But if I heard the english version of MLP (I'm assuming the VAs must be familiar with the pony names too) I can practice the names if necessary, and pronounce them 'english' Maybe they're just being stupid on purpose, so little kids are not confused; to me the whole synchronisation (edit: meant to say 'dubbing', which is 'Synchronisation' in german, but it's not used like that in english? Online-dictionary Y U NO TELL ME D: ) sounds rather half-heartedly, i bet they didn't know about bronies, much less about german bronies.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 18:43
I watched the German dub. Here are my opinions to the voice actors:

-Twilight has a typical "German-dub-woman" voice.
-Spike sounds OK
-ZOMG Rainbow Dash sounds like some fat old granny
-Apple Jack does not sound like a farmer. I think she's the same voice actor as Twilight
-Rarity sounds OK
-Fluttershy sounds the same as Twilight.
-Pinky could be better

It's a shame the voice actors aren't that good Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash really need to be improved.

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 19:03 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 20:12
Quote: "I watched the German dub. Here are my opinions to the voice actors:"

I was waiting for your opinion, thanks for reassuring me that it's not just me, but that it in fact is not really good, for most parts.

Quote: "-Twilight has a typical "German-dub-woman" voice."

They all sound rather generic to me, maybe because they lack the emotions in their voices... as I said before, it all sounds halfheartedly to me.

Quote: "-ZOMG Rainbow Dash sounds like some fat old granny"

Inorite? Sounded whacky to me, especially her first appearance. And that Flahtashai thing I mentioned before, what the hay, srsly.

Quote: "-Apple Jack does not sound like a farmer. I think she's the same voice actor as Twilight"

According to Wikipedia the mane six are all different VAs, but you're right, she sounds too indistinguishable, not unique enough or w/e.

Quote: "-Spike sounds OK"

Quote: "-Rarity sounds OK"

Quote: "-Fluttershy sounds the same as Twilight."

Quote: "-Pinky could be better"

That pretty much sums up what I was thinking, yes.

Although I wouldn't really call it bad. There are no major flaws, and it's okay(ish) for a kids show. But it's definitly not good either.

Edit, by the way, Quik. Rereading your post:
Quote: "they pronounce letters differently then us.."

You quoted me before that, so I assume the 'us' refers to you and me? So who are 'they' we're talking about? Dem silly germanz, i guess. I still don't get that post, I'm sorry. It's quite the SHOE, I must say.
Or I'm just not thinking straight right now, and that 'us' refers to your nationality, which I assumed to be american and/or english (besides Equestrian).
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 20:11
Quote: "I watched the German dub. Here are my opinions to the voice actors:

-Twilight has a typical "German-dub-woman" voice.
-Spike sounds OK
-ZOMG Rainbow Dash sounds like some fat old granny
-Apple Jack does not sound like a farmer. I think she's the same voice actor as Twilight
-Rarity sounds OK
-Fluttershy sounds the same as Twilight.
-Pinky could be better

It's a shame the voice actors aren't that good Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash really need to be improved."

you guys suck...

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 20:13
Quote: "you guys suck..."

No you!

Oh and I just edited my above post AGAIN. I should stop doing that. I'm so random.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 20:25
Wow you guys have been busy. It's funny how this is probably the most posted thread that isn't The Posting Competition.

Multicoloured equines, away!

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 21:20
Stop aruguing and focus on me now! ()

Sisterhood social got like 14th place, and will be shown!

Yayzerz.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 21:30
Quote: "Wow you guys have been busy. It's funny how this is probably the most posted thread that isn't The Posting Competition.

Multicoloured equines, away!"

We rock! *flutteryay*

Quote: "Stop aruguing and focus on me now! ()

Sisterhood social got like 14th place, and will be shown!

Yayzerz."

Congratulations.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 21:33
Yeah I completely agree with you RedFlames... I think there are two main reasons contributing to the suckyness of the dub.

1) The German language just isn't a good language for voice acting. Everyone pretty much sounds the same except for the pitch maybe.

2) There are only about 20 available voice actors that speak German. And since the budget of a cartoon show isn't top notch, you aren't going to get top voice actors.

Sorry Quik, but my 18 years of German-speaking experience tells me that all of those characters sound boring...

TheComet

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 21:54
German is one of the most beautiful languages there is...

hence why i like it I suppose... and

Quote: "Sorry Quik, but my 18 years of German-speaking experience tells me that all of those characters sound boring.."

thats an very subjective topic..

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 22:01
It's just how it sounds to me If you like it, then I won't object.

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 22:18 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 22:20
Quote: "AWWWW <3 "

score

This is crazy What we have here are accents. I doubt swedish english would sound as good as german english to a german if you follow. I surprised there even IS a language dubbed german version... props for having it at all.

Quote: "German is one of the most beautiful languages there is..."

all I have to say.

also, I voted Cormorant I can't believe lesson zero had such a lead though... I remember hating that ep comparatively.

Edit: It became a link oh well.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 01:35:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 01:35:39