Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 12:48 Edited at: 17th Jan 2012 12:48
EDIT: didn't work. Comeback withdrawn.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 19:50 Edited at: 19th Jan 2012 00:17

Beep beep, I'm a... d'awwww

So yeah... I did use Paint tool SAI (trialware, bleh) with my laptop mouse, but I also kept the thick lines from GIMP, which totally doesn't work together. But i can't paint ALL the things, this has to work with those outlines... I don't know what to do next; this stuff was mostly trial & error or random stuff. But I have two more panels, which need to look atleast similar? Yeah this is some kind of pseudo-comic, or something.
Inspired by the song I posted yesterday. (That was yesterday?! What the hell. It feels like I worked on this thing far longer than that.)

Okay now I need to clear my head from all the drawing, and then I'll look at that again and decide how awful those lines exactly are. And the other stuff in that picture. Dunno.

RedFlames

Edit:
Tried blending everything "into" the lines to hide them:

(head/mane/tail kinda done now)
I guess this is better. ^^ But still need to fix some parts, and of course remove the body & wing lines.
What do you guys think so far?

Edit2:
Hey everypony () this thread moved to page 2 in the Geek Culture board? One of you should post asap
Also, I'm done for today!

It sure does look much better than the first version in this post
Quote: "But i can't paint ALL the things, this has to work with those outlines..."

That's what I wrote earlier in this post (I feel like I'm talking to myself..), but I guess I was wrong there?! ^^
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2012 11:40
Jealous if your drawing abilities...so jealous.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2012 12:04 Edited at: 19th Jan 2012 12:04
Quote: "Jealous if your drawing abilities...so jealous. "

Hah if I can do this, everyone should be able to, with some practice... Seriously I haven't done any 'real' art stuff since school, I rarely sketch things... I guess I'm not completely 'untalented' (whatever the heck that talent thing is) but I'm just slapping together colors in PT SAI, until it kinda looks good.
I still have some problems wrapping my head around this concept of light/shadow and imagining how the body/anything would look lit correctly...
Also, this made me realise how cool it must be to own a graphics tablet... it combines natural drawing with the power of CTRL+Z It doesn't help to think "Undo! Undo!" while sketching on paper
But yeah those thingies cost money and I'm not yet convinced that I'm that much of an artist person, as I don't have any workflow or routine in what I'm currently doing

But it's cool I guess? Any input/critique/things you think look 'wrong'? I'd be happy to hear what you guys think
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2012 12:35
Draw the same exact thing but with Sweetie Belle.

Bam. Perfect.

But seriously, I think it looks amazing. I like the faded feel, that's more detailed then the show its self. This is the kind of stuff that gets into EDaily.

UNRELATED: Today in my school library a student who I don't know came up to me and said that "You should have this" and gave me a Batman bookmark. It says "READ" and it shows Batman hanging from a Gargoyle, reading. For a second I thought I was earning a reputation until I noticed I was wearing a Batman shirt. But it's still an awesome Bookmark.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2012 17:13 Edited at: 19th Jan 2012 22:54
Quote: "Draw the same exact thing but with Sweetie Belle.

Bam. Perfect."

I didn't even realize it, but that'd work too... Scootaloo wants to fly/be like Rainbow Dash, Sweetie Bell wants to help her sister and be apreciated by her; and Applebloom... well she just wants her cutie mark, i guess. I still think Scootaloo is best CMC

Quote: "But seriously, I think it looks amazing. I like the faded feel, that's more detailed then the show its self. This is the kind of stuff that gets into EDaily."

Thank you

I hope I'll finish this soon, but what i've done so far is just 1/3 (or maybe 1/4... I guess its more like 2/7 ) of what I planned for this. So I really need to finish it, to get this off my mind. xD

Stay tuned! I mean, if that's okay with you... ^.^
RedFlames

Edit:
I had considered waiting until this is finished, but instead I'll post another work-in-progress, this time of the whole thing though
Warning, this PNG is 7434 x 1536px @ 4,78MB, so it's rather big...

As you can see, the first panel is done, the second is currently being worked on, and the panel three-and-a-half is just the awful sketch-photos put together to check the layout. The small shot in the last panel will probably be blurred a little but I'll need to see if that works.

The text in there are parts of the lyrics from "Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile" because Trent Reznor's music is awesome, and ponies are awesome. I had the idea of putting them together somehow already a little while before this At first I was gonna use that "Blank" Radiohead-Creep-cover I guess. I don't know if these lyrics I have in there now do fit though, or is it weird or too out of context or smething?

And here's the song in question, it's a live version.

Quote: "I can't watch her slip away
I won't let you fall apart"

is what I planned to put into the last panel.

Btw, other songs I considered for this:
Nine Inch Nails - Somewhat damaged (lyrics are more agressive, not sad enough)

Nine Inch Nails - all the love in the world
Quote: "All the jagged edges dissapear
Colors all look brighter when you're near
The stars are all afire in the sky
Sometimes I get so lonely I could..."

Might be useful for a second part, though I don't want to make this into some kind of ScootalooXDash shipping...
Yeah, whatever. Still, someone needs to cheer her up, I can't take this anymore ^^

So, is this too weird? Or does it actually work? I don't know how others see this, and if they understand this how I intended it to be... well it's just some kind of sadness/loneliness/desperation thing, the actual meaning of it is open for interpretations.

RedFlames (needs to sleep now, my eyes hurt from all the painting and stuff x_X)
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2012 23:56
bump! new avatar, not pony related either! :3

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 00:08
Awwww...

New avatar inbound...

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 00:09
dw, ill probably change back and forth between this one /ITS ME ON THE PICTURE \ and ponies

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 00:12
I shall stay in naught but pony, FOREVER!
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 00:53 Edited at: 21st Jan 2012 22:00
CG, why is your signature gone?

By the way, just watched this iPad speedpaint:

I think this is amazing! For some reason when the wings appeared on her back in a matter of seconds, my face screwed up. I wonder how long this took in real time. Also, using tablet PCs for drawing seems like an interesting concept, if only those weren't so expensive.

But now excuse me, I need to work on my amateur drawing skills. :I
(I'm still wondering if I'm taking that thing in the right direction, and had hoped for some constructive input, although I realize that might not be an easy/simple thing to ask for. I guess I rather need to shut up until it is finished. )

Edit: OKAY I LIED I WILL NEVER STOP EDITING THESE POSTS.
Ahem. First off, dear Derpy Hooves, congratulations to your canon name and voice!

Have some more random wip screenshot.

Was preparing the colors for the third sketch to later paint over in SAI, and somehow I put the wrong colors on the tail. Instead of fixing it, that there happened.
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 23:46
Good job, RF.

And awesome avatars, both of you two. Pony is recommended, but not required.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 23:46
Oh my God! Derpy Hooves spoke . This made me so happy.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 00:10
Quote: "Oh my God! Derpy Hooves spoke . This made me so happy. "

that

Also, i got an nice "season 1" feeling all over this episode

meaning this is actually my favorite in the whole season 2 so far

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 00:17
Quote: "Oh my God! Derpy Hooves spoke . This made me so happy. "

I was going to watch the new episode on the livestreams, but had missed it at first, and thought The Hub was going to repeat the episode, like they did last week. Instead they just aired the Zap Apple Jam episode again.
I had to wait for hours until there was a good version on youtube, while EqD and everypony was going crazy about Derpy But I tried to avoid it until I had seen the episode myself.
To think that Derpy was an animation error, and got her name and character from the fandom, and now is part of the show I think I'll need to watch that scene again to fully realize how cool this is.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 00:35
I love Derpy's characterisation in this, it's awesome!

Pinkie also made this episode, for sure.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 02:50
OMG.... it can speak!

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 18:04 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2012 18:05
Holy crap derpy spoke

This cracked me up:

TheComet

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 18:23
When Pinkie went nuclear? Oh God, I cried in fear and laughter at the same time. xD
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 18:30
I could only think of Cupcakes..

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 18:35 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2012 18:36
Quote: "I could only think of Cupcakes.."

That scene certainly belongs to the best Pinky moments Oh I forgot to rate this episode...

My rating : 9/10

TheComet

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 18:53
I think this might be my best episode ever, even without Derpy it was hilarious, and progressed in a cool way.

Fan service, it feels so gwowious!
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 19:19
Quote: " 9/10"

Amen on that!

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 19:50 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2012 23:52
Quote: "I think this might be my best episode ever, even without Derpy it was hilarious, and progressed in a cool way."

Yeah, yesterday I watched the episode a second time, and I have to agree with you and Quik:
Quote: "
Also, i got an nice "season 1" feeling all over this episode"

I think Applejacks "change of scenery" worked out very good, at first I thought this was going to be similar to Appleloosa, but it fitted very good without repeating stuff. Also, at first I thought this wasn't a very good Applejack-centered episode, because she was trying to get away from her friends and seemed to act completely opposite to her element of honesty... But after all she is characterized as being not only honest, but also she is hard-working and often a acts a little stubborn, and she didn't want to dissapoint anyone (what with everyone telling her she had to come back with blue ribbons and money, during the scene when she left for Canterlot). So yeah, I guess I learned from this episode not to judge someones behavior too early without knowing their motives. 'cause the end of that episode was pretty awesome again.
So, even if this one wasn't so much about AJ, the story was well written and most of the mane six had their characteristic moments in this too. Like, Fluttershy being adorable as always, I love that scene while she and pinkie desperately try to sort the cherries and she shouts (sqeaks?) 'Heeelp!' . Pinkie being random again, and also being used as a weapon She was brilliant in this one. ("Rarity, catch me." )

After writing this I realized that this episode really has some kind of Season 1 feel to it, with all of the mane six in it, well written dialogs and a good storyline. And let's not forget Derpy was in this, and she spoke. Okay, whatever. This definitly IS the best episode of Season 2.

Edit: Oh and I completely forgot to mention this:
http://mihasik.deviantart.com/art/My-little-hang-glider-280675116
It was posted on EqD roday, it's a Scootaloo-themed (yay!) Flash game. I like the pseudo-3D way this was made, even though it takes some time to get used to when exactly you're past the obstacle. This reminds me of the Trackmania 'Platform' tracks, dunno if any of you know those . I cursed the whole time, but also didn't stop playing until I finished the third (last) level. And then I realized it deletes your score everytime you restart a level, and you need to play it from start to finish without crashing I guess I won't get any sleep tonight unless I finish this game.
Edit2: 57/62 Apples collected. Missed some apples at the end after finally getting through the sonic rainboom without any restart.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 19:59
Quote: "seemed to act completely opposite to her element of honesty"

have you actually heard rarity talk and well, seen her?!

WHERE IS RARITY GENEROUS!?

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 20:05 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2012 20:06
Quote: "
have you actually heard rarity talk and well, seen her?!

WHERE IS RARITY GENEROUS!?"

Hah yeah, I know. The most generous thing she did seems to be S01E02 to me. They might have tried a bit harded at actually linking the elements to the characters, but I don't mind it that much... As long as they have their own personality, and help their friends when it really matters I don't see a problem with it. On the other hand, now the whole "Elements of Harmony" thing appears rather exagerrated to me
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 20:22
Quote: "They might have tried a bit harded at actually linking the elements to the characters"

that would ruin rarity...

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 21:25
Mmmm, I dunno. I like the way Rarity has to struggle between generosity and her own benefit. It makes her a much more interesting character to watch.

Also, she made free dresses for all her friends. Hand made Gala dresses for five ponies...that's pretty generous.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 21:32
Quote: "Also, she made free dresses for all her friends. Hand made Gala dresses for five ponies...that's pretty generous."

but she also tried to steal diamonds from a dragon, for example.. xD

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 02:50 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2012 02:50
http://subjectnumber2394.deviantart.com/#/d4lx7r7

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 12:43
I loved the new episode. Plenty of references to previous episodes and of course, Derpy surfaces to a real character. 9/10.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 13:41
I can really feel that the show has changed it's target audience to bronies instead of 6 year old girls. Am I the only one who sees it this way?

TheComet

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 15:36
I don't really think so. Other than the obvious Derpy shoutout to us - who stills functions as a silly/clumsy character kids can identify with and find funny - it's still very much the same atmosphere. I actually think this had the most "season one" feel of this whole, new season.

Having the mane six together on a mission across Equestria, filled with gags and silliness, it was great fun to watch, even without Derpy it would've been my favourite.

Also, that Fluttershy tree comic is awesome.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 16:40 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2012 16:55
Quote: "I can really feel that the show has changed it's target audience"

i cant say they changed the TARGET audience, but theyre certantly hinting like: "hey! we know u guys exist, and we are very thankful of that, here is a treat "

edit:

Quote: "Having the mane six together on a mission across Equestria, filled with gags and silliness, it was great fun to watch, even without Derpy it would've been my favourite."

that, pretty much

also.. ponies

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 20:11 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2012 20:13
Quote: "also.. ponies"

indeed, ponies...

Another update from Project Scoot-d'awww-loo (yes thats the official name of the folder for this. )

Warning: May contain excessive amounts of sad.

I like how the third one turned out, but now I realize how awful the first one is in comparison... oh well I don't think I'll redo it anytime soon. On the other hand I might still do something about the mane and the wing in the first one. Dunno.

c&c welcome/wanted
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 20:54 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2012 20:55
I love the shading on it I hate to say this, but her body looks like ein Bratwurst... The third picture is fine in my opinion, I'm referring to the first two.

Ponies butts slope upwards. That's the main issue here I believe. Here's a picture demonstrating what I mean (the red arrow on Rarity is not referring to her chin, it's referring to her rear body part):

Otherwise really nice job, I wish I could draw even a 100th as well as you can Keep up the nice work

TheComet

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 00:01 Edited at: 24th Jan 2012 00:02
Quote: "I love the shading on it "

Thanks

Quote: "I hate to say this, but her body looks like ein Bratwurst... "

...what?

But yeah, you're right... my proportions are different from the show anyways. Her body is supposed to be smaller... And that slope does look better in the sketch. *Derpy:* "I jus' dun know what went wroong!" */Derpy*

I might've rushed the part of converting the sketch into lineart. I guess I still need to learn how to do these things properly, as I haven't done anything like this before. I'm just glad you like it

Quote: "I wish I could draw even a 100th as well as you can"

1% of what I'm doing? You'd have to suck pretty bad to be worse than 1% of what I'm doing
But seriously, I still think this isn't something one is born with, if you just enjoy sketching/drawing and practice it (and know how to use GIMP etc. ) you could do similar or better than this...
For my part, I put all this work into this, and that's the part I can improve, but coming up with original ideas and creating some kind of 'art style' or atleast some consistency in what I do seems to be much harder for me.
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 12:52
I think it's intentionally a different style then the show, which is what I noted before as a good thing about it. Very awesome, keep up with the great work. Hope to see if on EDaily.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 13:29
Quote: "But seriously, I still think this isn't something one is born with"

well, it depends: it can be genetically, like, if your mom/dad is a great artist, then chances are you will have an easier time drawing (you will have a better grip of the pencil and have an easier time envisioning idead and such)

but, EVERYONE can learn, with willpower. It just takes a bit more time.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 13:36 Edited at: 1st Apr 2012 22:33
Quote: "I think it's intentionally a different style then the show, which is what I noted before as a good thing about it."

Thanks, I didn't try to stay as close as possible to the show (because that'd 've been harder for me probably), but just sketched it like I did. Those head to body proportions for MLP fillies are strange

Quote: " Very awesome, keep up with the great work. Hope to see if on EDaily."

Thank you, I don't know how this would get to EqD though.When it's finished I'll probably upload this and maybe the other artworks to my dA account (which is still empty right now). How would this get submitted to EqD? Just send them an email and see what happens?

Oh and I already have another idea for a Scootaloo-centered something But I might as well think about a second part for this, something to cheer up that poor scootaloo. Oh and I had the idea of making this into a wallpaper, because I like the last panel. (let's hope the last sketch will be equally nice ) but I don't know what to do about the background then, it's a little bit boring. I did that background even before starting to digitalize the sketches, it was literally the first thing I did in Paint Tool SAI, just using a black brush... I think I'm kinda getting offtopic here. Derp.

RedFlames

Edit: Oh my god... hah... I just decided to watch the episode "May the best pet win" again, because it is cool and has that awesome song in it (currently 'General Mumble - Mumble finds a pet' is one of my favorite remixes ) and only now I noticed RD says 'Gesundheit' twice... i didn't even notice that because of the pronounciation is a little off and my mind just shrugged it off as some english word. I'm currently laughing and facehoofing at the same time
I'll try to link to the part in the episode on youtube: S02E07 [h ref=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REMOVED#t=13m44s]13:44[/href] and [h ref=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REMOVED#t=20m53s]20:53[/href]. I guess this sounds much sillier to me, because it would be a normal german word, but not like that. [ 'Gesundheit' == 'Health', but in this case 'Bless you' ] I guess this is pretty known to english speakers... same as everyone seems to know 'Du hast' (and some people mistake 'haben / du hast' ('to have / you have') as 'hassen / du hasst' ('to hate / you hate')... Aaaaand now I'm completely offtopic. Where am I? What is this? Ponies?!...
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
http://bronies.memebase.com/2011/09/26/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-big-brony-theory/
this is preposterous

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 21:42
Call me stupid, but I don't get it... Wait, is this a paradox?

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 22:23 Edited at: 25th Jan 2012 02:47
@TheComet: Are you reffering to what swissolo posted? Sheldon is wearing a shirt with rainbow-colored lightnings on it. That's why someone captioned it 'Sheldon was a Brony before it was cool'.

Also, Bazinga!

Edit:

Derpy, stop it you look silly. Srsly, this made my day, even though it's like 2:45am. Derpy <3
I want the HD version of this as a screensaver or something.
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 12:24
You submit it to EDaily through email if you wish to have it shown. But if that's not what you want I understand. It's just that's where you would get the most publicity in the Brony Community.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 22:07 Edited at: 25th Jan 2012 22:08
Quote: "You submit it to EDaily through email if you wish to have it shown. But if that's not what you want I understand. It's just that's where you would get the most publicity in the Brony Community."

Yeah it would be awesome to get this onto EqD I'll see about that when it's actually finished.

@CoffeeGrunt: I was looking at the ATG (Artist Training Ground) tutorial stuff that is up on deviantArt and spotted a comment of yours:
Quote: "Favourited and downloaded for good measure. I need tutorials like these pretty damn bad. XD"

I didn't know you draw ponies too Those sketches o your dA page look pretty good, they remind me of my first attempts (aka what I'm doing right now). Your proportions aren't as horrible as you might think, I like those.

And now excuse me, after figuring out what timezone Phoe posts from on EqD I think I still have 6h to submit something for the Artist Training Grounds day 3? Let's do this! Or maybe I'll derp this... yeah probably...
I'm glad Phoe got everything fixed and is doing this properly now. Those were some awesome artworks for the second day, although I kinda skipped the second half of the 500 pictures >.>"
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 22:29
I might start drawing again, one day. Those were done a long time ago, though...
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 04:20 Edited at: 26th Jan 2012 04:59
http://2edflames.deviantart.com/art/EqD-Artist-Training-Grounds-Day-3-281544458

Phew. Started this 6 hours ago. I did the lineart in PT SAI this time, that's sooo much better than GIMP
Submitted this at 4:15am (local time here) 15 minutes after Phoe posted everyting on EqD. I think this might still get added to the post, atleast I hope so.

So yeah, Cormorant5, I herd u liek Sweetie Belle?

Edit: yay I'm #370 :3
Look, I'm on EqD, together with atleast 369 other artists. ^^
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 12:51
Quote: "So yeah, Cormorant5, I herd u liek Sweetie Belle?"

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 17:23
Wow she looks really well drawn! Great job

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 18:06
Quote: "Wow she looks really well drawn! Great job "

Thanks

And CoffeeGrunt, thanks for adding it to your favorites on dA

Great now I have 2 unfinished images, and I'm soo slooow at this. If I try to do things faster I'll mess it up though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 03:38:35
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 03:38:35