Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Multisync 0.1 - Multiplayer plugin for DarkBASIC Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 20:04 Edited at: 24th Oct 2005 20:07
Quote: " What kind of project are you using Multisync for? Because perhaps my new plugin that I am soon to release would suit your needs."

my project is a multiplay 2d tank fighting game. the dedicate server provide maps to client to play and handle the players parameters like HP, Ammo, shooting parameters etc. the client will log on server and then loading map to start gaming with a selected tank. currently, it's a small project need to handle 8 clients.
does it fall into your new plugin's features?

I think MultiSync is great plugin deserved improving. it's intuitive to use and lightweight, but versatile and customizable. Just some features to handle big packet(maybe, directly send/recieve Memblock) need to be added, if so, the string handling won't be a slightly slow way like "repeat/until" then. Anyway, it's perfectly suitable for my small project.

I only have poor coding skills, will your new plugin still hold the easy style of multiSync? Rewrite code is hell for me!

AMD Duron1800+, 256 ddr ram, Gforce2 MX 32mb, 120gb, Windows 2000 advanced server. DBPro1.05. "Sorry for my english" "New to Programming, Anything basic I missed??"
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 02:31
Quote: "does it fall into your new plugin's features?"

Could work.. I do plan to eventually implement file transfers so that map loading stuff would be easy to do. The thing is, I'm not so sure you would want to switch to this new plugin, as it works quite differently from Multisync and would require a lot of code change. One of the major differences is that Multisync is client/server, whereas this is peer-to-peer(meaning players communicate directly with eachother rather than through a server). This has two advantages. The first one being that you don't need a good server for each game, as the load is shared between the players. The second advantage is that because you don't route the data through the server(apart from important data that needs checking to prevent cheating) it gets around much quicker.

Quote: "I think MultiSync is great plugin deserved improving. it's intuitive to use and lightweight, but versatile and customizable. Just some features to handle big packet(maybe, directly send/recieve Memblock) need to be added, if so, the string handling won't be a slightly slow way like "repeat/until" then"

Just wait and see what the new Multisync will be like.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 80% - 25%
FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 03:17 Edited at: 25th Oct 2005 03:25
Quote: "Just wait and see what the new Multisync will be like."

I think i would wait and see MultiSync mainly because the the game play is based on the Client/Server mode to synchronize all computers like a master server that will give me potentials to develop this project to bigger online game in future. I dream to create that.

When MultiSync killed a player, will the player number returned by "net new player()" change? EX, I killed the 2nd player in 5 players. will player 3,4,5 shift down one slot to become 2,3,4 or not? Thanks benjamin

After my test of sending string, I got the result that multisync could send/receive 151 characters in one packet maximum(via net push char), though i set "net make buffers" to 100000 bytes(maybe it's not about buffers, it's about size of each packet.). I think i will redesign the code to send packet in smaller size.

AMD Duron1800+, 256 ddr ram, Gforce2 MX 32mb, 120gb, Windows 2000 advanced server. DBPro1.05. "Sorry for my english" "New to Programming, Anything basic I missed??"
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 05:39
Quote: "
After my test of sending string, I got the result that multisync could send/receive 151 characters in one packet maximum(via net push char)"

Are you sure about that?

Quote: "EX, I killed the 2nd player in 5 players. will player 3,4,5 shift down one slot to become 2,3,4 "

No.

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 07:28 Edited at: 25th Oct 2005 07:35
Quote: "Are you sure about that?"

Yes I pushed more than 13000 characters into one message, but the receiving side could only get and read 151. Same results for twice running.

Quote: "Quote: "EX, I killed the 2nd player in 5 players.....
No."

Will the 2nd socket reuse after killing it, when a new computer connected.

When i use multisync, I found the "send delay" with "wait" will slow down the whole program. Could the future upgrade add some feature to adjust sending delay internally, which would not make DBP slow down. That would be great value to Multisync.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 16:18
Quote: "Yes I pushed more than 13000 characters into one message, but the receiving side could only get and read 151."

Ok well firstly keep it to 1000 bytes or less. Secondly, don't try to use any of the functions that tell you the size of messages(for they are buggy). Its best to put in the size yourself(use a word) when the rest of the message has been written. Then when you read it, the first word you read will be the size.

Also, two of the functions (pop char, pop word) were returning signed values, whereas they should be unsigned. I have fixed that and attached the DLL to this message.

Quote: "Will the 2nd socket reuse after killing it, when a new computer connected. "

Yes.

Quote: "When i use multisync, I found the "send delay" with "wait" will slow down the whole program"

Use a timer based solution.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 19:18 Edited at: 25th Oct 2005 21:08
thanks for your new plugin, i had try it.
the attachment is my test file. can you have a look especially on the rewrite code. I got errors there, don't know whether it could be cleared...... ("send big" is original, "send small" is rewrite one.) sorry for my noob code

You talked about a timer based method, i have found the newletter about a timing tutorial, however, it's complex to me. do u have any intuitive idea about that?

Thank you, man!

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 22:11
I can't compile that code, I don't have the files that contain the following commands:

get array index
set array index

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 01:10 Edited at: 26th Oct 2005 01:11
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk/DBPro/TPCDLLS-downloads.html

Matrix1Array is the IanM's array plugin. Sorry for the forgetting tell you this together.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 01:43
By the looks of it, you are possibly overflowing a buffer on one end. This could be what causes a crash. I've noticed your server sends each map piece over and over until it gets a reply. This is not necessary as TCP ensures that the message will get to its destination. When I change the code to only send once before the repeat loop, it stops it from crashing. I'm not exactly sure what is wrong apart from that.

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 18:51
Thanks for your help, Benjamin, I will rewrite it again to get it improve. some packets lost during the intensive sending, when they just send once. I think the timer is a way.

i want to make sure the process of multipync on
receiving:
1. if net receive(player)=1
2. net get msg (get newest msg in stack, or oldest? Benjamin)
3. net pop.... (when you finishing popping, the popped info will be deleted automatically, right?)

due to the restriction of sending big packet, i will cancel the map transfer feature in program presently. I look forward to your new plugin and multisync V1, which might could handle the big packets and then i will add this feature back.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 20:10
Quote: "some packets lost during the intensive sending"

Actually I've noticed that, but I'm not sure why it happens. According to the way TCP works, the message should eventually get to its destination. Although unless you stop sending for a while, I don't think it gets a chance to do it.

Quote: "due to the restriction of sending big packet, i will cancel the map transfer feature in program presently. I look forward to your new plugin and multisync V1, which might could handle the big packets and then i will add this feature back. "

Sounds like a good idea. Although I think if I have some free time, I'll try coding a file transfering function with the current state of Multisync. But don't hold me to that, I'm very busy.

Quote: " want to make sure the process of multipync on
receiving:
1. if net receive(player)=1
2. net get msg (get newest msg in stack, or oldest? Benjamin)
3. net pop.... "

Yes, that is the correct order. I believe the oldest message is retrieved first.

Quote: "(when you finishing popping, the popped info will be deleted automatically, right?)"

Yes.

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 20:42
Quote: "Although I think if I have some free time, I'll try coding a file transfering function with the current state of Multisync. But don't hold me to that, I'm very busy."

I understood your busy, i can only say: "Thank you very much for your precious time." you did a very good job of multisync.

going back to coding..... haha~

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 21:21
Hehe, you're welcome.

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 23:54
I feel a little unsure about some commands.
for example, there are three pc connect to host, which is 0.

1. After all of them successfully connected to host and then i got a number 3 returned by "net new player()", if i ran it again in the next loop, will it still return "3"(return active connection number) or become "0" because no new comer in this loop?

2. if 2nd one dropped, what will "net new player()" return? "2" ideally or still "3" because the socket occuppied by 2nd pc is might not released since multisync will use this socket again when new connecte.

3. "net get player amount()" will return the active physical players connection number or occuppied sockets number (for socket reuse issue again)?

Thanks a lot~~~ benjamin I really have lots of question~

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2005 04:21
1. net new player accepts a player if it is trying to connect, and returns its number. If there is no player, it returns 0.

2. See above

3. It returns the amount of players currently connected.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 00:45
I use the quick example 'host' code with my IP as a server host. It says 'waiting for player'.

In another project, I join the net game and make it wait for a key to be pressed. Once I run the joining code, the hosting thing says 'sending message' then 'waiting for response', but when I go back tot he joining code one, there is no messege on the screen.

I guess connecting to the server works, but the message doesn't. Know whats wrong anyone?
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 22:36
Nevermind my last post, it was stupid

But I use the 2 Player example, K? I change the IP in the client and the host to mine (I checked if it is right) and it works if I open the host and client on my computer, but when I send the client and DLL to another computer, open the host on my comp, and other computer opens client, it just says 'FAILED' on the other computer!

Why doesn't it work?
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
soo. when you will release the MultiSYNC 2.0?

Just. ...Leave me alone =/
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 12:48
Quote: "soo. when you will release the MultiSYNC 2.0? "

Quote: "Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 80% - 25%"

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 18:38
Uh-uh. That isn't MultiSync v2.0. Poor little dbmadling.

Support the AAANJL by doing nothing! Visit teh site below..
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 15:33 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2006 15:34
yeah.. poor dbmad..

benjamin said that after tempest plugin, he will work on multisync 2.0

Just. ...Leave me alone =/
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 17:12
i can't be bothered to read a whole 7 pages

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 22:35
I'm getting an error running the examples

when I run a quick example:
could not find function '_Z8net_hostiPc' in 0:dbpcore.dll

when I run the 2 player:
could not find function '_Z8net_hostiPc' in 2:multisync.dll
CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2006 15:59
Hello?
Can anyone help me?

this is holding me up on my game if I can't get this to work I'll have to use the dbp native commands and I heard they suck.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2006 17:54
Where did you place the DLL? Also, the DLL may have been corrupted in some way, try uploading it here.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2006 00:05 Edited at: 21st Jan 2006 00:12
I put it here:

C\:program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic Professional\Compiler\plugins-user

I'll attach it

(edit)
I downloaded it again and installed it again but it does the same thing
I'm using winXP sp2

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 15:35
That's weird, it works fine this end. I don't know if it would have anything to do with it, but what version of DBP are you running on?

CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 17:36
Ok I'm really sorry I had your old version in the same folder as my project so it was trying to use that. I feel so dumb

Thanks though and I love the plugin.
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 23:47
Hello Benjamin,

If at all possible, could you tell me the status of the Tempest dll? Im in dire need of this plugin as my multiplayer system works well(No, im not attempting a MMORPG,) but I know it could be o so much better if directplay was not used. I was searching the forums and found an old thread about your plugin, but it would seem it is outdated as it has been locked due to no new posts recently. Thank you, i look foward to any news of this incredibly promising dll.

If you're so smart, why are you reading my post?
CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 02:07
Um have you tried the plugin on the first page? It works great for me.

By the way whats the dif between tempest and multisync?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 05:12
Quote: " Ok I'm really sorry I had your old version in the same folder as my project so it was trying to use that. I feel so dumb "

Heh, I had a feeling something like that might have happened.

Quote: "
If at all possible, could you tell me the status of the Tempest dll?"

What's wrong with using Multisync?

Quote: "By the way whats the dif between tempest and multisync?"

Multisync is client/server plugin using the TCP protocol, and Tempest is a peer-to-peer plugin using the UDP protocol.

CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 15:21
Quote: "Multisync is client/server plugin using the TCP protocol, and Tempest is a peer-to-peer plugin using the UDP protocol."

Oh ok

but what is UDP i've never heard of it.
What will you use tempest for?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 17:46
Quote: "but what is UDP i've never heard of it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol

Quote: "What will you use tempest for?"

It'll be used for the kind of games that need fast player-to-player communication, that only put a minimal load on the server.

CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 21:12
Ok thats neat.

I'm not able to host a game over the internet just over lan
If I enter the internet ip it says "failed"

I'm using internet connection sharing and sharing the internet over the lan to this computer.
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
im benjamin's tempest tester, and all what i can say to you all, ITS REALLY WORTH IT! the tempest is v. easy to use and u actually can make an online game with almost no bugs! while in multisync, u can get some memory crashing - that actually what happened to few of my friends here..

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 12:12
So if i'm making a game that will hopefully pit a max of 6 players against each other, am I better waiting for Tempest? Or is it more for one-on-one connecting?

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 12:37
I can vouch for Tempest aswell, had no real problems with it. It's real joy is how much power you have with so few commands. It's definately worth it.

Tifu, yeah I'd probably say so. Nah it's not just for 1 to 1, it just doesnt require a dedicated server so for multiplayer games with relativly few (up to 20) players it's a perfect piece o' kit.

Should be noted I havnt used Tempest for a wee while now so its probably developed a fair bit, Ben will no doubt give the definative lowdown soon.

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 19:59 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 20:00
Tempest is a neat piece of kit ^_^

Using it in my FPS, and as of version 0.2 I haven't even managed to break it yet.

"I'm sorry, I can't let you do that Dave..."

[edit] PEH16... Is that like PEN15? [/edit]

Support us! Click! Image! Visit! Site!
CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 20:15 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 20:16
What is pen15?!

P = Paul
E = Eugene
H = Hansen
16 = I was 16 years old now I'm 17 and I need to change it
[edit] I got it changed.
Anyone know why I have my problem in my post above?
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 23:34 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 23:38
@Tifu: tempest for you

its a winsock server/client that can connect p2p (player to player - per to per) and get with that better ping(ms) when you connected to each other.

tempest is not good for rpg games cuz it cant handle more than 64 players
but dont look at me, im workig on morpg game that will be able to support more than 1000 players. if you asking how? i have my own ways

SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 00:03
If you dont mind me asking, exacty how far along is tempest, is it in the bug resolving phase or does it still have some things to add, such as more commands and such?

If you're so smart, why are you reading my post?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 01:17 Edited at: 29th Apr 2006 00:17
@GogetaX, Baggers, Blanky: Thanks for the support guys!

Quote: "I'm not able to host a game over the internet just over lan
If I enter the internet ip it says "failed""

When you call THost be sure to pass in your computer's local network address(the one you used when you hosted over your LAN) and then configure your router to forward port 3999(this is the host's default port) to your computer.

Quote: " So if i'm making a game that will hopefully pit a max of 6 players against each other, am I better waiting for Tempest?"

Either will work, but with Tempest data gets sent around quicker because it doesn't have to get sent through the server first.

Quote: "If you dont mind me asking, exacty how far along is tempest, is it in the bug resolving phase or does it still have some things to add, such as more commands and such?"

I'm currently working on the game listing server application, which although is very basic is still proving a bit difficult to do. Afterwards I'll make sure I have all the commands in that I meant to have, then I'll bash it about a bit to see if I can crash it(for bug-testing purposes obviously, not for my own amusement..), and then I should be very close to a release.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe) - 71%
Download the free version

Attachments

CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 04:36
Quote: "while in multisync, u can get some memory crashing - that actually what happened to few of my friends here.."

That happens to me sometimes too what's up with it?
Its really random but it seems to only happen on a client.
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 12:16
Thanks for responses to question
I guess i'll wait then, tis an action packed game so if it works faster I guess that is pretty vital

Looking forward to it then

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 15:35
hey, ben... are u gonna continue MultiSync, or are u just permanently moving on to Tempest? cause i still like MultiSync and if your quiting on it, could u hand out the source code for others to learn from and stuff

Deathquest (MMORPG)
Deathquest Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=61108&b=8
DD Studios Website: http://www.geocities.com/jasonhtml/
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
after he will finish tempest, he will make multisync 2.0 (thats what ben told me)

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 03:04
o, cool... ill wait then

Deathquest (MMORPG)
Deathquest Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=61108&b=8
DD Studios Website: http://www.geocities.com/jasonhtml/
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 08:56
Msync 2 sounds good! What kind of commands will it have?

.::Studying game design at the moment::.
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
i remember benjamin mention about File Sending feature in multisync 2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 23:14:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 23:14:57