Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Multisync 0.1 - Multiplayer plugin for DarkBASIC Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 17:21
Ok bare with me for a bit, Im a complete idiot when it comes to online anything;

I downloaded the Multisync plugin and put it in the user dlls. Then I compressed the host.exe, client.exe and Multisync.dll (just incase) from the 2 Player Example. Then, I sent that to my friend, while he downloaded it I clicked the host.exe, and entered port 127.0.0.7 for testing. When his download was finished, he clicked the client and entered 127.0.0.7 and hit enter, and it failed. I tried changing the IP, me joining and him hosting, and it still failed each attempt.

Have I done anything wrong or could it be a problem with a firewall, or something else maybe?

Thanks,
- RUC'

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 18:13 Edited at: 19th Feb 2006 18:15
The IP for testing is for if you're running host and client on one machine, if you're actually doing it across the internet you'll have to enter your real IP address. Or is that what you mean you did when you say you tried changing the IP...

http://www.whatismyip.com/ will tell you your IP if not

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 18:32 Edited at: 19th Feb 2006 19:32
Ah ok thanks, like I said, complete idiot. Ill try it now.

<EDIT>

Still didnt work, I used the IP given from the website when I hosted and my friend entered the same IP when he chose client and it Failed. I also tried running the host.exe and client.exe on my computer at the same time, it still didn't join.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 19:52
If you are behind a router, you host using your PC's internal(LAN) address.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 19:57 Edited at: 19th Feb 2006 20:03
How would I get that? (Once again, idiot)

<EDIT>

Not calling you an idiot, calling myself one

P.S: Im pretty sure I'm not behind a router though, would there be any other reasons?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 20:23 Edited at: 19th Feb 2006 20:25
Quote: " How would I get that?"

From ipconfig.exe. If you aren't inside a LAN then it will display an address that.. isn't a LAN address(which will be your internet address if you are directly connected).

Quote: "(Once again, idiot)"

Quote: "P.S: Im pretty sure I'm not behind a router though, would there be any other reasons?"

Run ipconfig.exe and take note of the IP address it shows you. Then look on http://www.whatsmyip.net and compare. If it is different, you are either looking at the wrong IP from ipconfig(which would indeed grant you the status of an idiot if you please), or you aren't directly connected to the net(which would suggest you are using a router or something with the same function).

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 23:43
;(

I ran ipconfig and got two IP's, one for the Local Area Connection and one for ... the other one The one that was in the LAC didn't match the one on WhatIsMyIP, but the other one did. I found out for sure however that I'm not on a router, so the only thing I can think of is that its a problem with my firewall, but that should affect me trying me trying to connect to myself.

I tried using both IP's given, still no luck.

Oh, I remember hearing on IRC that Multisync uses Winsock, do I have to download Winsock for Multisync to work?

SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 00:21 Edited at: 20th Feb 2006 00:22
@RUCCUS: The fact that you are on the internet indicates that you already have winsock.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 12:19
Ruccus. Do these things:

1. Try hosting using that address that whatsmyip.net tells you. Tell me if this works(not people connecting to you, but the actual initializing as a host). If it fails, show me the contents of the log file it created.

2. If hosting works, on the same computer try to connect to that address you hosted on. If it fails, show me the contents of the log file the client created.

Quote: "Oh, I remember hearing on IRC that Multisync uses Winsock, do I have to download Winsock for Multisync to work?"

You have Winsock already.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 22:48
Results:

When hosting with the IP whatismyip.com gives, or ANY ip (even one with no decimals) works everytime.

When joining using the client.exe and the same IP supplied by whatismyip.com, the word "FAILED" appears everytime without fail (pun intended )

The log:

Im assuming the "Connection failed! -- CONNECTION REFUSED" means it has something to do with my firewall refusing it's access, though I've set the firewall and any other security programs to Unblock/Allow client.exe and host.exe, so I'm not sure why it's happening.

- RUC'

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 23:32
Quote: "Im assuming the "Connection failed! -- CONNECTION REFUSED" means it has something to do with my firewall refusing it's access"
Ironically no, it means it couldn't find the host. As though you weren't hosting. Are you sure you are doing it right?

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 23:53 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 00:04
Here's step by step what I'm doing:

First off, note that I have the Multisync .dll, client.exe and host.exe placed on the desktop. Also note that i'm connected to the internet and have set all programs listed above to be allowed by the firewall. I also have the Multisync.dll inside the user-plugins folder aswell.

1. Open whatismyip.com
2. Click host.exe
3. Enter exact ip given from whatismyip.com
4. Hit enter, I'm now in the game moving a red cube around a matrix
5. Click client.exe
6. Enter exact ip given from whatismyip.com that I entered before
7. Hit enter, wait a few seconds, see FAILED display under the input command, wait a few more seconds and the client.exe closes.
8. Throw a hissy fit and break my keyboard
9. Load up on tylenols

Also, not sure if this is relevant but when I run the host.exe, it says "Player Exists? : 0" on the screen.

<EDIT>

Also, Im absolutely positive that 1. I'm using the correct IP and 2. that I'm entering the correct IP (So no spelling mistakes) both times.

Im gona go try this downstairs on my other computer, Ill get back to you with the results in a few minutes.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 00:11
Well I've got good news and bad news It worked perfect on my computer downstairs, I could see both users moving around and it connected right away. The only problem now is I have to figure out why and how it isn't working on my computer The only thing I can think of is my firewall, Im gona try resintalling Multisync. Atleast it works downstairs!

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 00:12
how do you have both computers connected ot the internet? at teh same time?

www.AoFP.co.uk
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 00:14
I dunno, I dont handle that stuff thats all my dad I do know its not a router.

Oh I just found something, the log I gave you before was the clientlog, I just noticed the server log, it says this:

Log started at Mon Feb 20 16:56:06 2006
Sockets creation success! (20)
Buffers created | 1024 Bytes x2
Bind success!
Listening!

Not sure if that means anything or not.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 03:23 Edited at: 21st Feb 2006 03:23
Quote: "Not sure if that means anything or not."

It means it's working correctly.

Quote: "It worked perfect on my computer downstairs, I could see both users moving around and it connected right away. The only problem now is I have to figure out why and how it isn't working on my computer"

It is certainly odd that it works on one but not the other. Try using the loopback address(127.0.0.1) to see if it works at all.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 05:00
No luck

Ugh Ill wipe my system if it means getting this working

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 13:21
This is seriously weird. I'm afraid I have no idea what the problem could be. What version of windows are you running on?

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 14:09
XP, Lol well if I figure this out Ill be sure to tell you incase it happens to anyone else. Either way thanks a bunch for the dll it works great downstairs cant wait to start using it.

- RUC'

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 20:46
Have fun.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey benjamin if I use the same code from your two player example in my game it sould work right....I have no problem connecting but it just wont send any data.

The admiral
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 02:50
Just noticed another log file, is this of any use?

[COMMON]
PathToEXE=C:\DOCUME~1\Ruccus\Desktop\NEWFOL~2\English\2PLAYE~1\CrashOn_02_21_06.txt
[CEXE]
m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=Internal Code:12002
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=49

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 04:10 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2006 07:06
I manged to get some data to go through but then the client gave this error I attached a pic im not sure what it means or how to fix it.

edit: I managed to isolate the issue down to the net get msg command which is weird because the client should be able to get data from the server. Any help would be appreciated anyone else had this error??

The admiral

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 14:38 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2006 14:40
Edit: Discard this message, the forums have messed it up.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 14:38
Quote: " Just noticed another log file, is this of any use?"

Not really, not without knowing what you ran that created it.

Quote: "I manged to get some data to go through but then the client gave this error I attached a pic im not sure what it means or how to fix it."

Looks like a bug with Multisync to me.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 15:00
o.O, I ran the host and client, and it got created...

Anyways I think there may be a trojan on my computer, my firewalls' been turning off at random for thepast few days so that may be part of the problem, gona clear it up tonight or tomorrow and see if hosting will work.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 16:08
Quote: " o.O, I ran the host and client, and it got created..."

Yeah but who was it that crashed?

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm well there is noway round because lots of people are using multisync in their projects....

The admiral
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 22:47
MULTISYNC IS BL**DY BRILLIANT . It helped me so much thanks benjamin i shall be for ever gratful.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Then how did you get it to work??

The admiral
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 05:48
Ive gotten it to work like last year its the basis for my game Daikanu Online ;P

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Yaya i keep hearing about people doing it but how!!!

The admiral
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 12:06 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2006 12:07
Not everyone is having the same problems, so it's not like we can answer that =/

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
I know but if you have working code why not post it or at least explain how you did it.

The admiral
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 04:07
Serv

Example of a server that takes incoming packets
here a client that makes packets

Thats code for a client

these are just exerts from my game Daikanu Online these are like the basic of multiplayer

When sending data from server to client using net send the number must be specified to the client you are sending to

when sending data from client to server just put the number to 0 as 0 is the server number

This code may not work but this is the main stuff you need when making an online game ;P hope you can benefit from it

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 10:28
Quote: "I know but if you have working code why not post it or at least explain how you did it."

There is working code with the game though, if that doesn't work for you, someone posting their code isn't going to work any better :/

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i dont get how it can work for others and not me im doing everything ive been told.

The admiral
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 01:57 Edited at: 27th Feb 2006 01:58
The admiral, I'll try to find the problem. I'm in the process of making a program that checks various mechanisms that Multisync uses, to find what is not working correctly. I've got just the very basic stuff in it so far, but it's probably worth checking it out right now, just to make sure it works.

The program doing basic checking - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=795900 - 110k RAR

I'll get it completed as soon as possible.

Attachments

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks benjamin I tried that tool out and so far all tests succesful. It maybe my dbpro got to try reinstall it somehow lol.

The admiral
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 15:55 Edited at: 27th Feb 2006 15:56
Added data transfer checking to the program: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=796305

I don't think it would be DBP that is the problem. What exactly happens when you try the 2 player example?

I think you should perhaps hold off until I rewrite Multisync, because of buggyness and lack of debug information in it.

Attachments

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
ugh i doesnt seem to be any different from the last version. But all three of the tests are succesful. The two player example works but anything I code seems to struggle. You could be right how long will that be do you think?

The admiral
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 06:23
Quote: "The two player example works but anything I code seems to struggle"

Show me some code and I'll try to tell you what's wrong.

Quote: "You could be right how long will that be do you think?"

I'm not entirely sure.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:28
Benjamin, in multisync how do you send a word to the other player. For my ORPG the players name is a variable name$ but how do I send that to the other player? Ive tried using the NET PUSH WORD command but it only sends a long number to the other player? Do you know how I send a word to the other player?
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
@pro g r amer - Try net push string and net pop string.

Wish I would have checked for a newer version more recently...I should be able to cut down the code on my project quite a bit with those two new commands

http://myopia.c-reality.com - programming + life
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I started out using the two player code but that didnt work so I switched to this...

Thats the server the client is pretty much the same except it sends to player 0. This code worked a little but came up with some strange error and now it doesnt work at all so im completly confused lol.

The admiral
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 04:26
Quote: " Well I started out using the two player code but that didnt work"

I thought you said it did?

Quote: "Thats the server the client is pretty much the same except it sends to player 0"

The code looks right to me, I don't think there is a problem in that part.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
The example did but its code didnt work inside my programme.

The admiral
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 13:44
Well does your program set up the necessary stuff in order for that to work? I mean for instance, are you calling net stack on anywhere in your code?

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2006 14:14
Hey Benjamin, been testing around a bit and still no luck. I was wondering if you could send me the host.exe and client.exe compiled from your computer, Im thinking it could be a problem with my compiler (I updated it a month ago and its somehow still on like 5.1). Just wana try everything out before I try wiping the computer.

Dont feel you have to I understand you've got a lot of work to do on the new version, but if you get some time send it to ruccus@ruccus.net.

- RUC'

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:56:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:56:48