Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] Weapon Creator -- Re(did)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 00:04 Edited at: 28th May 2006 00:12
Quote: "3) On the "Effects" page, users need to be able to browse for their own bullet shell models, and smoke images."

Sorry Sunflash, I just remembered that the smoke images are actually decals, and I don't know much of anything about how decals work, so that may not make it in until a later update, or maybe never...

But, I'm still going to add custom bulletshells.

YEAH! 4 PAGES! 301 POSTS! woohooh!

Weapon Creator EA for sale soon!

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 02:14
It should be very simple. Decals are just one image. It should be just as hard to implement as browseing for bullet shell models. you run into the same problems.

Take for example this line from the gunspec.txt

smoke = 2

so we locate the smoke 2 in the folder (I'm assuming):

F:\The Game Creators\FPS Creator\Files\gamecore\decals\smoke2

Here we find two files: decal.dds and decalspec.txt. As you probably know, the decal is the image (.dds) file. The decalspec.txt file just tells FPSC how to work with it. Just like every other "spec.txt" file you'll find in the FPSC directory.

Looking at the decalspec.txt file, we will see these lines of text:

across = 4
down = 4

the "accros = 4" line means that there are four culumns of frames in the .dds image, and the "down = 4" means that there are for rows of frames going down. This gives us something like:

where each star is, it represents a frame. Anyways, there is a command in DBPro that will take an image like this, and convert it to an animation, nut first it reads the decalspec.txt file to see how many rows/columns of frames there are in the image. these, as I'm sure you know, are converted to variables, then used in a function, which displays them on the screen when you fire a gun in FPSC. So basicly all you need to do, is let people browse for their own smoke image, then ask how many columns and rows of frames there are in the image and what number the smoke is to be called, then create a decalspec.txt file, and copy the image to a smoke[number] folder, located in this location here:

F:\The Game Creators\FPS Creator\Files\gamecore\decals

Then the prgram will change the line in the gunspec.txt file to the apropriate number. I'm sure a lot of this you already know, but some people don't understand all of this completly. I leanred a lot about just righting it, so I may be wrong about some of it.

This reminds me of something that DEFINENTLY needs to be changed. On the "General" page of the WC program, it asks what folder FPSC is located, but it assumes it is in C drive. However, for example, I am among the many people that do NOT have FPSC installed to their C drive, if you would look at some of the folder paths above, you would see that they start in F drive
There is an image attached that shows what I mean
Anyways, I better go, toodly pip all!
-Sunflash

Attachments

Login to view attachments
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 03:34 Edited at: 28th May 2006 03:37
Quote: "then ask how many columns and rows of frames there are in the image and what number the smoke is to be called, then create a decalspec.txt file, and copy the image to a smoke[number] folder, located in this location here:"

Thanks for explaining it! I guess the real problem is the numbers. You could have 150 different smoke folders, but that would get confusing. Plus, let's say Bob and Jim own WC. Jim makes a weapon pack, which uses custom smoke, but bob has already made smoke 3 and 4 for his custom weapons. So, when bob installs jim's weapon pack, it makes bob's personel weapons' smoke different.

I guess I could always set up the installer to enumerate the smoke number until it found a free one...

Quote: "This reminds me of something that DEFINENTLY needs to be changed. On the "General" page of the WC program, it asks what folder FPSC is located, but it assumes it is in C drive. However, for example, I am among the many people that do NOT have FPSC installed to their C drive, if you would look at some of the folder paths above, you would see that they start in F drive"

Fixed it. It now starts on the desktop. From there, you can access the drives, then it's a short stroll into the FPSC directory.

Quote: "toodly pip"

ROTFLOL! That's awsome!

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 09:31 Edited at: 28th May 2006 09:31
Quote: "Bob and Jim own WC. Jim makes a weapon pack, which uses custom smoke, but bob has already made smoke 3 and 4 for his custom weapons. So, when bob installs jim's weapon pack, it makes bob's personel weapons' smoke different."

So true! I hate those sort of problems

Quote: "I guess I could always set up the installer to enumerate the smoke number until it found a free one..."

Yikes, I tried that in DarkBasic when I first started, only it was for a screenshot program, it would take screenshots of models. However, to make sure it wouldn't erase any already saved screenshots (they were saved as screenshot[num].bmp) I would do as you said in the quote above. However, being new, I never actually got it to work

Quote: "Fixed it. It now starts on the desktop. From there, you can access the drives, then it's a short stroll into the FPSC directory."

Yay! I can make it go to F:\ drive now

-Sunflash

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 19:39
@Sunflash
Dang sunflash....thats one sexy banner your rollin with there

@Codemaster
So when do you think there will be a new version of the revamped beta for us to try and break. I'm anxious to see if this is going to be a little more flexable.

PS CODE: I should make a low poly version of the WC banner masscot for you to give away with your prog(just stock fpsc animations though).

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 20:23 Edited at: 28th May 2006 20:28
Quote: "Dang sunflash....thats one sexy banner your rollin with there"

LOL, aggreed.

Quote: "So when do you think there will be a new version of the revamped beta for us to try and break. I'm anxious to see if this is going to be a little more flexable."

Well, I'm leaving in a matter of minutes on holiday( ) ehem... vaction, to wisconsin, so it's going to be two or three days... I've still got to write some stuff for the custom bulletshells, an have yet to start on the custom smoke. It shouldn't take too long once I'm back...

Quote: "PS CODE: I should make a low poly version of the WC banner masscot for you to give away with your prog(just stock fpsc animations though)."

Hey, sure. That's a great idea. I've often thought about including bonuses with WC, such as free weapons, music, ect.

Sorry for the wait guys.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 20:40 Edited at: 28th May 2006 22:07
Quote: "Dang sunflash....thats one sexy banner your rollin with there"

Only the best

Quote: "Well, I'm leaving in a matter of minutes on holiday( ) ehem... vaction, to wisconsin, so it's going to be two or three days... "

Well ahve a wonderful three days there! You've definently deserved it
-Sunflash

EDIT: Hey, for when you come back from vacation, here's some stuff you may want to add (I'll keep adding things to this list until you get back)

1) When you click "Publish" it should give you a message box telling you that the pu blishing was sucessful.
2) When you browse for models/images, there should be an option to view "All Files" instead of just .DDS/.BMP or .X. Some people know their folders by what they have in them, and when they see certain files, it's easier to get arround on their computers. But it's really hard if your restricted to just seeing one type of file
3) Why are only .BMP and .DDS loadable in WC? FPSC handles all the following formats: BMP, PNG, JPG, DDS, TGA, and probably one or two that I'm forgetting

Other then that, WC seems fine! (screeny of the Tommy Gun which was ran through WC attached, sorry for the blure, the jpg compression made it look ugly)

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 21:58 Edited at: 28th May 2006 22:00
Not meaning to spam this thread(this forum needs a personal message system so we don't have to post publicly) but..

Sunflash I see you changed your banner up. If you put the url http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/LOCRIANoL/wclogo2.jpg into your browser and change the "wclogo*.jpg" to numbers 1 through 5 you'll see the different versions. Just incase ya wanted something else.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 22:09
Wow, those are awesome! I think I'll change every week

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 18:25
Well, my estamite was slightly off, I'm back and ready to work now!

Quote: "1) When you click "Publish" it should give you a message box telling you that the pu blishing was sucessful."

I've always thought it needed some kind of visual feedback.

Quote: "2) When you browse for models/images, there should be an option to view "All Files" instead of just .DDS/.BMP or .X. Some people know their folders by what they have in them, and when they see certain
files, it's easier to get arround on their computers. But it's really hard if your restricted to just seeing one type of file"

I'll add that.

Quote: "3) Why are only .BMP and .DDS loadable in WC? FPSC handles all the following formats: BMP, PNG, JPG, DDS, TGA, and probably one or two that I'm forgetting"

Oversight. I'll add those too.

Quote: "Other then that, WC seems fine! (screeny of the Tommy Gun which was ran through WC attached, sorry for the blure, the jpg compression made it look ugly)"

As always, glad to here it! Sorry, but threre's no screenny attached...

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 19:28
Quote: "Sorry, but threre's no screenny attached"

Ahh! Just noticed. There forums are being crazy, whenever I try and upload anything, it gives me a CGI Error. Sometimes it lets me, but not usually. When the next beta comes out, then I'll make another weapon, then post a picture about it.
-Sunflash

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 02:00 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 02:36
INPUT NEEDED

What should the bulletshell limit be? Right now, it's set at 30, it could be infinitely larger, but I'd like to keep it within reason...

Also, which address is more convineint:

buywc.com
wcreator.com
weaponcreator.com
weaponc.com

@locrian:

Could you set up an SQL database on my site? I want to experiment with things like copyright protection and automatic updates.

Weapon Creator for sale soon!
Weapon Creator
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 04:14 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 04:16
Id make a url more reflective of your work and not just 1 item..like sgs.com or steffengamestudios.com. And theres no way I can set up a mysql db that you could make changes to as youd have to have access to the whole server and the cpanel sofware. Your site uses a db for the site/forum but this you dont have the access to this your needing.

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 04:28
Quote: "Id make a url more reflective of your work and not just 1 item..like sgs.com or steffengamestudios.com."

Yah, though I might get more traffic...

Quote: "And theres no way I can set up a mysql db that you could make changes to as youd have to have access to the whole server and the cpanel sofware. Your site uses a db for the site/forum but this you dont have the access to this your needing."

I can access it from within Weapon Creator, as visual basic has built in Remote Data Base acess.

Weapon Creator
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 10:40
i would look at your mesh solution again...

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 18:15
Code check your PM box( man I hate the fact we cant message other members here)

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 22:37
Quote: "buywc.com
wcreator.com
weaponcreator.com
weaponc.com"

www.weaponcreator.com is definently better. It's easier to rememmber.
If a database could be created so that when the users clicked a button called "Update" it would look in a folder on the database named (for example) "updates" in it, would contain patches titled "version_[number]" The program would search for all updates whose version number is higer then the current version of WC on the users computer. This could be done by a text file in the WC file directory on the users computer, which records the programs current version. That way users wouldn't have to manually download things from the website. However, thats realy far off into the future
-Sunflash

Naiad
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks really great. Are you going to eventually incorporate the DB gun positioning app into the program, or are you going to have 2 seperate programs?

http://www.rasterwerks.com/game/phosphor/beta1.asp - Phosphor Beta 1 - Shockwave3D First-Person Shooter
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 20:14
Quote: "Looks really great."

Thanks.

Quote: "Are you going to eventually incorporate the DB gun positioning app into the program, or are you going to have 2 seperate programs?"

It's already integrated. It's physicaly 2 seperate programs, but they work together pretty smoothly, all you have to do is click a button.

Weapon Creator
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 06:28
And it's a pretty sweet little App if I might say so myself

jthtiger 2006
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 09:35
hey conjured entertainment it says
"i hope you plan on sharing your little trick with us"
then there is a line of text saying
"press the button to exit"
then there is a button saying
"i'm waiting"

tyler herron
jthtiger 2006
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 09:44
sorry i did not see that this thread was 9 pages long that vbpeeker thing is probably really old

Sorry
Tyler Herron
MiRRoRMaN 64
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "2.) Will it be free?

No."

And I kinda stopped reading there.

amigacam.net.tc
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 23:52
Quote: "And I kinda stopped reading there."

Ah well, everyone's entitled to there own opinion...

But, really, what's so bad about paying? sure, not every one just has money lying around (I certinely don't ), But I would pay if I found a tool good enough. At the very least check out the site, view some screenshots and download the Hud and MuzzleFlash positioner--demo.

You may end up liking it.

Weapon Creator
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 00:41
There are some people on these forums who give away free stuff.Some members sell their models or apps for a reasonable price,usually only to offset the cost of making something or to help pay for stuff to make more things.There are a variety of products,models, etc. for sale and buying some of them is a way to give back to and support the FPSC community.
An application that imports weapons is complex and Code Master has been working on this for a while.If he wants to make a little cash off of this then that is fine.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 18:40 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 18:45
Thank you.

FEATURE UPDATE

Attached is an image of the updated Effects dialog. As you can see, custom smoke and bullet shell(s) is(are?) included. All thoses little X's represent a decal frame, per what sunflash said. The idea here is that you enter the number of frames across and down in the little boxes, and the big X filled box changes size to reflect the values.

EDIT: I think I'm going to remove the X filled box, as it's kind of clusmy and pointless...

Weapon Creator

Attachments

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 19:50 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 19:51
@beta Testers:

I think I'm ready to release beta 6!
Just hollah if you want another feature added...

@Non-Beta Testerz:

The release of B6 brings WC very close to v1

Weapon Creator
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 20:15
just a note that may save you a bit of time debugging:

the decal system in FPSC seems to be broken. from my experiances, its fixed on 4x4 frames no matter what.

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 20:20
Thank you.

Weapon Creator
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 21:10 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 21:10
Quote: "I think I'm going to remove the X filled box, as it's kind of clusmy and pointless..."

I like the X filled box. It provides a visual fir the user. But if the decal system is borken as Bullshock says, then I guess it really dosn't matter

I'm not sure if you've done this or not, but on the effects page, when adding custom smoke (or bullet shell), if you choose a number that is already taken, does it give you a warning? I mean, you would have some angry users if WC wiped out one of the default smoke decals! Anyways, I can't wait til B6 comes out!
-Sunflash

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 21:13
code master, ill test it for you, I need to get some guns ready.

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 23:42 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 23:44
Quote: "I like the X filled box. It provides a visual fir the user. But if the decal system is borken as Bullshock says, then I guess it really dosn't matter"

All I have to do before B6 is re-adding that, shouldn't take long. But, I have to do school...

Quote: "I'm not sure if you've done this or not, but on the effects page, when adding custom smoke (or bullet shell), if you choose a number that is already taken, does it give you a warning? I mean, you would have some angry users if WC wiped out one of the default smoke decals! Anyways, I can't wait til B6 comes out!"

Actually, you don't have to pick the number, you just publish and it automaticly finds a free number.

Quote: "code master, ill test it for you, I need to get some guns ready."

I'll definately consider it...
Would you pay for the final product, if I let you test?

Weapon Creator
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 05:35
Sorry, guys. I'm not going to get it done tonight... We had to got to my sisters Base Ball game, And then DQ, and now it's 9:30... (My Ideal bedtime )

So, Later

Weapon Creator
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 07:31
Quote: "9:30... (My Ideal bedtime )"

My ideal betime is 11:00. It's when I feel best suited for sleep

Quote: "Sorry, guys. I'm not going to get it done tonight..."

Not a problem, It's a bit late for me to test anyways.
-Sunflash

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 17:14
Beta 6 is out ( ), tell me if one of you beta-ers haven't got it.

Weapon Creator
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 17:55
Upload to setup ver 6 where ya uploaded 5.....I'd checked my emails but no word and no pm on your site.

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 18:51
Uploaded to the exact same place, exact same file name.

Weapon Creator
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 22:54 Edited at: 7th Jun 2006 22:57
@all

Attached is a exe demonstrating WC. It was made in a demo of "Demo Builder", so it's got an annoying watermark... But, it still works.

@Beta Testers

So, anyone tried it? any problems encountered?

Weapon Creator

Attachments

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 23:37 Edited at: 7th Jun 2006 23:41
I'll have a bug report soon, I have a list of twelve
But then it dawned on me, think at least 4 of those were my fault
and at least 3-4 of the bugs are things I noticed in B5 but thought it was my fault. But with further examination, it wasn't.

I think with the evaluation of B7, WC will be able to go into EA mode, but there's still currently stuff to be fixed in B6

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 23:48
Where do I download it code master?

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 23:52
Quote: "I'll have a bug report soon, I have a list of twelve "

Ouch! Looking forward to that bug report...

Quote: "Where do I download it code master?"

What? You mean Beta 6? Weeeel, I hadn't officaly decided if you were a beta tester... hmm...
Quote: "
Would you pay for the final product, if I let you test?"

Just like to know, don't mean you can't...

Weapon Creator
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 00:36
Quote: "Ouch! Looking forward to that bug report..."

Don't worry, about 80% percent I'm guessing is tiny stuff
Not exactly bugs... I guess more... "Fixes", if thats a better word

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 00:50
So, when's the ETA?

Weapon Creator
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 01:00
In about 5 mins. One thing to note, this report won't cover the Custom stuff (Custom Smoke, Brass, muzzleflash, scripts, and bulletholes) because I want ot set aside a good chunk of time for that.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 01:23 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 01:39
Hey, here's something I'm going to keep seperate from the bug report, when I installed the B6, then ran it, it was fine, then I exited, the got back in later, and it gave me this error (Image attached).

When I clicked "Details" it said:

I've tried reinstalling but the same thing happens.
Anyways, here's the bug report:

Image for bug 4 is Here
Image for bug/question 11 is Here

Anyways, there's still plenty of testing to do.
-Sunflash

Attachments

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 02:31
Quote: "1) I noticed that when you click the browse button, then select a file,
then click cancel, the file path is still pasted into the text box.
I'm not sure if thats actually something you can fix in VB."

Can be fixed, and I will.

When you are browseing for images, you are able to select "all files"
but when browsing for models, you can't."

Hmm... Have ta fix that one...

Quote: "When positioning the Muzzelflash, you can't move it up and down,
only left and right. This makes it near impossible to position
perfectly"

Use the + and Minus keys. It's not in the instructions!

Quote: "Even when I never rotated the weapon model in the Hud Positioner
program, it always asks me if I want to save rotated weapon. Then
it says all that stuff about doing so will strip the animation
data...etc. THe only problem is, I never rotated it in the first
place. (Link to image below)"

I'll fix that. Only thing is, maybey somebody rotates it just for fun, then decides the like the current orientation. So, I think I'll leave it there, unless it's annyoing...

Quote: " It would be nice if when your updating the preview images for the
gun and ammo thumbnails, the "Empty" images that disapear, would
replaced with "Loading..." text until the images are updated."

I'll fix it.

When I take a snapshot of the ammo model for it's thumbnail,
the texture is never applied, even thought the texture has already
been specified in the "Ammo" section. The guns texture works fine
though."

ok.

Quote: "Also, when updating the Ammo's preview image in the "Preview Images"
the ammo image never updates, exept when I click the "Next" or
"Back" button, then return to the "Preview Images" page. When I
looked into this, I noticed that when you take the picture of
ammo, it saves the image to this path:
Crogram FilesWeaponCreator_AUXAPreview.bmp. however, if
you look closely, you will see that the file path needs a ""
between the "Program Files" and "WeaponCreator" text. That
fixed the problem."

YES! thank you a ton!

#8 will be fixed.

Quote: "In the "Files" section, when selecting sound files, why put
the name of the files, then the path to their folder? Why
not just let the user browse for the sound file? It makes it
so much easier."

there are browse buttons. right at the end of the path boxes.

Quote: " I noticed that whenever you specify a custom script, then
publish, it sends that script fill to the following path:
FilesscriptbankWeaponCreatorSunflashs Weapon however,
I think it would be better if it was sent to:
"Filesscriptbank" since thats where all the scripts are
stored, and it gets confusing to the user if he has folders
leading everywhere, but only contain several scripts."

Just thought'd make it simpler, more organzide. Whatever, I'll change it.

Quote: "This isn't a bug as much as a question, why are these options
greyed out? (Link to image below)"

Well, I recently started looking into a zip library for VB. I couldn't find any that I knew how to install or use, so I decide to try it with DBP. That's going to work, I just have to start writing it. Soon as it's done, those options will open up.

Personal, formated bug_report:

Weapon Creator
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 02:41
I would pay for it, if it got my weapons into fpsc quite fast, so yes.

Classic Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 02:43
have you tried smashing your face on the keyboard?

There are two types of people in this world: people who are extremly cool and are good at everything and people who are me.
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 04:24
Quote: "have you tried smashing your face on the keyboard?"

Um, no.

Who are you talking to?

@higgins

Sent it off.

Weapon Creator
SpyDaniel