Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 21:03
Quote: "Oh man! I'm so sorry! I completetly forgot! I'll get on it right away!"

No problem . I'm just glad your trying to help . And as of now it's only first person, a third person option may be added in later . Thanks for your help and time with the project.

@Zombie 20: Thanks, it's encouraging to get positive comments .

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 05:11
Gil I am soo sorry I have'nt got that document to you I feel really bad! I haven't finished all of it but I've been un able to get to my computer. My brothers computer blew up and him being in Uni and having a few assignments due He needed my computer!

I feel really bad! I can send you what I've got if you want? I was going to offer my services for that programming position but you probably think me un-reliable now! But I'm still willing.
Again sorry!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 06:17
Quote: "Gil I am soo sorry I have'nt got that document to you I feel really bad! I haven't finished all of it but I've been un able to get to my computer. My brothers computer blew up and him being in Uni and having a few assignments due He needed my computer!

I feel really bad! I can send you what I've got if you want? I was going to offer my services for that programming position but you probably think me un-reliable now! But I'm still willing.
Again sorry!
"

No problem at all, I'm not exactly the best with getting things done quickly either . And it seems like you have a good excuse . About the programming position, it'd be great to have your help, if you want to give it . How good are you with DBP, and what parts of the game interest you?

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 07:18
What exactly do you need done? I mean what sort of programming work do you have that still needs working on?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 11:12
Right, I have some time today so I'll re-do the combat thing. It really is quite annoying though; I spent a good 3 hours coding the 1000+ lines last time and they were all wasted! Lol! What an idiot I am!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 15:52
Well I have started again and its now about 1300 lines. However, I really want to get some work done on one of my projects so I'll come back to this soon but I'm gonna take a little break; like a day or two. Hope that is ok. Sorry.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 01:01
Quote: "What exactly do you need done?"

Hmm...let's see...I need AI, a talk system, and the visual aspect of the quest system. That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure theres more . What would you be interested in doing?

@TEH_CODERER: Okay, awesome, dang your fast, heh. Thanks for the help, and no problem with the taking a few days .

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 03:24
Okay so I'll be buying Dark AI soon so if you want we could use that plug in for the AI. As for the talk system do you want something similar to what Never Winter nights has? In the editor you make a dialog tree with all the players questions etc and for each you can make the NPC have a response. It would be fairly simple to set up the only difficulty would be setting it to each NPC, but I've a few ideas that I would like to try out! What do you mean visual aspect of the quest system?

I'll try out my idea on that talk system for you and see what I can get.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 06:53
Quote: "Okay so I'll be buying Dark AI soon so if you want we could use that plug in for the AI."

Hmmm...the only problem is, I don't have Dark AI, so it would be hard for me to modify it if needed .

Quote: "you want something similar to what Never Winter nights has? In the editor you make a dialog tree with all the players questions etc and for each you can make the NPC have a response."

Never played NWN, but it sounds like that's what I want. Where the player has multiple choices for the NPC, and the NPC has a response for each question/comment, which may change depending on circumstances.

Quote: "What do you mean visual aspect of the quest system?"

I mean that a decent amount of the internal engine is done, but it's all controlled by hard-code, and there is no quest UI, and no quest creation/editing in the world editor.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 07:24
Gil this is what I mean for the dialog creation system,

As you can see it's a real real small example. The completed system would have the ability to be in the main loop without stopping the entire program through the input command! But this just shows you basically what I mean. I've also had a brain wave on how to distinguish the conversations between different NPC's. This way you can make each individual have there own method of answering you!

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 07:26
Gil - I really like what I am seeing here. I took a look at this when you revived it and I have to say that I am impressed with how things are coming. The screenies demonstrate a great deal of skill and effort on your behalf. I only have a handful of WIP threads that I follow, yours is now on it Good work

Terrain Generation has a whole new face.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 11:41
Quote: "Okay, awesome, dang your fast, heh. Thanks for the help, and no problem with the taking a few days ."

Cool, thanks. Well during the rest of the day after posting that I finished the terrain section of my editor for Realms Of Tutopia so I feel like I've done something now! Back to this...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 00:37
@Darth Vader: Yeah, something similar to that is what I'm talking about. Only a) different responses from different NPC's, and b) different responses depending on circumstances (ie: If someone likes you and you ask them how they are, "I'm great, and you?", or if they don't like you, "Fine until I saw you", or only talking about quests at certain times .

@Alquerian: Thanks for the encouraging comment .

@TEH_CODERER: Thanks .

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 05:11
Yeah I was just giving you an example. What I could do is make a like say 10 different normal coversations so that everytime you talk to someone you get a random response. Also with the quests bit you will of course have the characters alrady prepared so that when you complete a certain part of the quest in store that variable so that when you come back to that character, it goes okay so this vaiable = 1 therefore unlock this conversation. As to the part of whether they like you or not that would be harder. I mean you could do it so that they would dislike you because of the faction you come from, but yeah I need to give that more thought!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 07:45 Edited at: 7th Apr 2007 07:58
@Darth Vader: Yeah, that's what I was thinking .
Sorry about the lack of updates lately, I've been a bit busy, but now I'm going to go ahead and start on creating/editing quests using the world editor. It's a big part of the project, and will likely take a while, but I have to start eventually and the game will feel much closer to completion once I get quests out of the way .
Also, I've done some larger scale tests, and the good news is, everything seems to work fine, and it can handle a decent amount of poly's, but the bad news is it can't handle a massive amount of poly's, so I've added in fog (will probably be adjustable). Doesn't look as good, but will improve the framerate a lot . Here's a quick screen of it:

I'm not too happy with the sharp contrast between the sky and the fog right now, but I haven't thought of any solutions, I'd be happy to hear some if you have any . Right now I'm using built in DBP fog to cause them to fade slowly, and then I'm having to use a plain behind that, because without it, you can still see silhouettes of objects.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 11:19
How about a fog dome? You could use a texture with alpha transparency so it was opaque-ish at the bottom but fading towards the top so the transition would be smooth.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 19:54
Good idea, that should work, but I've never used alpha transparencies before, I'll try it out soon, thanks .

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 00:50
Shouldn't be too hard with a png texture and messing around with the object transparency flags. Alternatively, green gandalf made a nice fog shader in the DBPro board.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 05:00 Edited at: 16th Apr 2007 05:01
Alright, sorry for not updating this lately, like I said, I'm working on the quest engine, an obviously large and important chunk of the game, but considering it's still in it's early stages, there's nothing I can really show you. Here's two early shots of it just to give you a general idea of what I'm doing. Nothing too interesting yet though, but the quest engine is a long process .

You can create and name quests.

And then select them from this drop down menu.

I've also been working on a few side projects (an RTS, and Virtual Office) lately just because it's easy to lose interest working on one project constantly .

Feel free to comment on the rest of the game or ask questions .

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 20:08
That quest system looks pretty darn cool!
Really am sorry about how long it is taking me but I have been swamped with A-level stuff and trying to help other people as well.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2007 00:32
Quote: "Really am sorry about how long it is taking me but I have been swamped with A-level stuff and trying to help other people as well."

Thanks, and no problem, take your time, this quest stuff is going to take a while .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 01:41
I've got a new web page up and running now, not only for Pirates of Port Royale, but for all my games, you can find it here:
http://gilgalvanti.googlepages.com/home
and PoPR's page here:
http://gilgalvanti.googlepages.com/piratesofportroyale

Comments welcome/appreciated .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 07:37
/bump And to say that I'm still working on this, just haven't had much time this week. I started working on adding different events for a quest today . Also, any comments on the website?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2007 23:06 Edited at: 30th Apr 2007 23:07
Here's some new shots of what I'm doing just to show you. You only edit and define the quests in the world editor, but they are read and executed (or will be) in the game engine. Right now you can create multiple quests, and then within those quests, multiple events, and next is multiple triggers within those events . Anyways, here it is:
You add different events from a list of "event types", as shown in the second shot, but then can name the event whatever you want to remind you what it is.

Here you can see the current (incomplete) list of types of events that you add with it's parameters being displayed and editable at the bottom.

Then here's the second quest, where you can do the same thing.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 13:42
I haven't really been following this thread, and even thought there have been no posts for a few days, I'm sure this isn't dead, because you've been working on it so long.

Just to say it's looking really good, and that Quest Creator thing looks ingenious!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 23:20 Edited at: 5th May 2007 23:21
Quote: "I haven't really been following this thread, and even thought there have been no posts for a few days, I'm sure this isn't dead, because you've been working on it so long."

Yup, don't worry, it's not dead. I've just been busy (nearing end of school year, AP exams, just took the SAT this morning, homework, etc. ), and what progress I have made isn't really anything that would interest most people, just more quest creation stuff. I'm getting close to finishing the quest creation system in the world editor (mostly just visually defining variables), and after that I will work on getting those working with something in the game engine to actually get the quests working, a big step in the game engine . So if I don't post for a few days, don't assume it's dead, it's most likely that I've just been busy or there's nothing to show visually. I've kept with this project for over 3 years now, I won't be giving it up anytime soon .

Quote: "Just to say it's looking really good, and that Quest Creator thing looks ingenious! "

Thanks . Now I just hope it will work in practicality .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 03:20 Edited at: 6th May 2007 03:21
Hey, so here's an update of what I've done today with screenshots, although it may not interest everyone . Just to show you what I'm going for with the quest creation, this is how it's built:

So there are certain events in each quest, and triggers under each event, and parameters under both events and parameters. To show you the quick example I have in the screenshots:

As you can see, it's just broken down almost like you would code it, but you define everything visually, as you can see in these screenshots:

Here's the list of events in the quest

And an example of a list of triggers from one of the events, in this case the "Blacksmith Asks Player". You can select and edit each trigger.

And within each trigger (and event) you can edit parameters of it

To add triggers, you do the same thing as with events, and choose from a list of predefined functions, which you choose the parameters of and can rename for your convenience.

Other improvements you may notice are that the current selection is highlighted for convenience, and there is now an "x" next to the arrows. This is what you click when you want to erase the name of the event or trigger instead of the name itself, so it won't erase the name of it every time you want to select it to edit it's parameters or whatever. So next is getting these to work with something in the game engine .

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 16:11
While you may not be able to make really epic quests with it(yet) that quest creator thing looks very very cool. I hope we'll be seeing even greater progress soon, as long as school doesn't get in the way.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 18:16
Quote: "While you may not be able to make really epic quests with it(yet) that quest creator thing looks very very cool."

Thanks . Yeah, I will be adding more trigger and event types as I need them (or they are requested when it's released) to expand the ability to create better and better quests . Also, it's built more for side quests, or making small parts of larger quests. I most likely won't make the main quest a single quest, but will break it down into smaller parts .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 04:23 Edited at: 10th May 2007 07:19
Good news, early tests of getting the game engine and quest editing to work together were very successful, with surprisingly few problems .

Now I will begin the fun part of actually writing many of the functions for the events/triggers (just have basic ones like position within, rotation between, move to, etc. right now). And I'm not being sarcastic, I like programming AI, and this is a form of it, it keeps my interest longer than other parts of programming for some reason .

Also, if anyone has any quest ideas, I'm open to suggestions. If you've ever had that quest you've just been dying to play, then now is the time to request it .

EDIT: Oh, and it'd be great if people could suggest event/trigger types that I could add .

EDIT2: When I get enough of this quest stuff done I'll make a video with everything .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 00:44
A quest to get a certain kind of sword (or weapon) for a person in town. You'll need to collect certain types of material and give it to the blacksmith. The sword is stolen before you get it and then you have to find the theft. Turns out, it was the person who commissioned you to get the sword. In return, you get some cash and a pretty good sword; mainly the sword looks cool.

Another quest is for the governor. You want to get a bill passed that will allow you to receive a pay raise. To do this you have to find two other "issues" people are concerned about and add them to the bill. Then, plant it in a fellow town officials files so that he suggests the bill. Bingo, you have a pay raise.

I'm not sure how much of those you could do, but follow that any way you like. What I've found, especially from Oblivion, is that quest that involve sneaking, finding hidden areas, and solving a mystery work well for quests.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 03:57
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add them to my list of possible quests right now .

Quote: "I'm not sure how much of those you could do, but follow that any way you like."

I plan on making the quest creation system versatile enough to do virtually any quest, even if it involves adding trigger and event types (which I'm sure I will as I create more quests ).

And yeah, I get a lot of my inspiration from Oblivion, probably my favorite game.

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 05:12 Edited at: 11th May 2007 05:12
The quest system looks great.

I always thought it would be a interesting quest to wake up in jail/dungeon, not know how you got there and have to find your way out. The trigger to start the quest could be that after a random loading(if they were in the middle of something they could just reload, but then they wouldn't get the quest reward) or sleeping you could wake up there. The idea would be that someone kidnapped you while you were asleep.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 06:22 Edited at: 11th May 2007 06:23
Interesting idea, I'll definitely consider it. A jailbreak quest would be very interesting . Thanks for the suggestion, it'd be great if people could keep them coming .

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Jail break... hmmm.... Fable anyone?

I think a cool quest would be a burglary! You have to pick pocket people! You then have to take their items to some guy for him to sell them on... artfull dodger kind of thing.

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 04:28 Edited at: 13th May 2007 04:34
Quote: "Jail break... hmmm.... Fable anyone?"

The Jail break in fable is somewhat boring to me. You know where you are and how you got there, and its just so obvious how to get out.

Quote: "I think a cool quest would be a burglary! You have to pick pocket people! You then have to take their items to some guy for him to sell them on... artfull dodger kind of thing."

Burglary... hmmm.... Morrowind anyone? Sorry, but I had to say that.
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 08:05
Or Oblivion...

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
lol! I don't play that many rpgs...

Anyway, I like this game a lot, it seems quite cool, I am wondering what kind of battle system you will have (if any!).

Thanks!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 17:26
Quote: "Anyway, I like this game a lot, it seems quite cool, I am wondering what kind of battle system you will have (if any!)."

Of course we'll have one . But as of now that is one of the few "shady" areas of development, as in, I really don't know. I'm aiming for realistic, real-time combat, much like Oblivion, but I'm not positive it will be exactly like that .

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 00:35
Well I'm really sorry but I have been really busy with A levels and will be until 25th June when my last exam is. I will try to find the time to work on the battle system for you before then though. The quest system looks great though by the way!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 00:19
Quote: "Well I'm really sorry but I have been really busy with A levels and will be until 25th June when my last exam is. I will try to find the time to work on the battle system for you before then though. The quest system looks great though by the way!"

No problem, I've got plenty to do besides combat . And glad you like the quest system .

I've been busy with AP exams the last 2 weeks, but now I'm done . I'm still working on getting triggers to work. The ones I have working so far are:

npcDamage( npc, minimum damage, maximum damage )
npcDie( npc )
npcDistance( npc, target, minimum distance, maximum distance )
npcFacing( npc, target, degree variation allowed )
npcHasItem( npc, item )
playerDamage( minimum damage, maximum damage )
playerDistance( x, y, z )
playerGiveItem( npc, item )
playerHasItem( item )
playerDropItem( item )
playerPosition( x1, x2, y1, y2, z1, z2 )
playerRotation( x1, x2, y1, y2, z1, z2 )

I'm also going to need a talk system soon, and am not sure how I want it to be, so I'm working on designing it right now. I have the old one from the very old engine that works perfectly fine, but isn't exactly what I'm looking for. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to make them .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 20:10
Here's an early shot of a possible talk system. Any comments or criticism welcome .

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 01:38
I forgot if this is online or single player...

If it's online, then make the speech come up in a 3D plain speech bubble next to the character

But anyways, yes that looks really cool

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 01:43
Singleplayer, with not even plans for online, I think it would ruin the game . I wanted a talk system that you could ignore if you wanted, as in walk around, fight, etc. while the UI was up (unlike the shop/inventory/crafting), so that's why it's at the bottom, as out of the way as possible. When it comes up you can walk around and ignore it, or you can hit control to activate the mouse to be able to move and interact with it. This way, NPCs can come up to you and say something without making you completely stop what your doing .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 05:30 Edited at: 22nd May 2007 05:50
Two pictures for today's update. I've worked on the talk system more, decreased the interface height by 20%, and added choosing topics and responses. Also, I've added a new building, interior and exterior, a church, for the world editor.

First, the talk system. Each NPC will have different responses, and they will change based on various circumstances (relationship, quests, etc.). Under each topic there is a list of questions/comments that the NPC will reply to. Here I have the "Acquaintance" topic selected and asking who they are.

Now the church. I don't even know why I decided to make it today, I just felt like taking a break from the talk system, so I made the interior and exterior. Here they both are in the world editor:

Please comment .

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 05:58
The church and talk system look very top notch! The model is really good. Great job on it. it looks very church like

The talk system is actually very cool too. I like those kind of talk systems in single player rpg's. They make things a lot easier.

Great job. Keep up the great work!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 17:43
Glad you like them, thanks for the encouragement .

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 09:56
Looks great Gil your quest engine and talk system look fantastic!
I have a few questions, but I'll email them soon!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 17:53
thanks, I'll be glad to answer your questions .

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 03:37
the method you use to make the town, the one where you've sketched out the town and scaned it in to sketchup is genius! makes me think mayhaps I should do that

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:22:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:22:36