Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NaGaCreMo 09 [sign up]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2008 23:31
It's already been done though, T3DGM has that "Mr Poo" boss in it :/

"Nothings perfect, and that's the problem with being a perfectionist."

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 01:19
I'm thinking of one of the greatest bosses in the world, the great and mighty poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day, definitely a legendary boss. I demand that Joel attempts a boss like that.

--The hatred of those who harbour such ill feelings as, "He reviled me, assaulted me, vanquished me and robbed me," is never appeased.--
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 01:37
How about the poo of Chuck Norris? (Yeah I made a Chuck Norris joke, I'm soo lame.)

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 02:24
That'd be unfair, you wouldn't be able to win.

--The hatred of those who harbour such ill feelings as, "He reviled me, assaulted me, vanquished me and robbed me," is never appeased.--
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 04:47
Well, while we're posting teasers...(attached).

Looking good, Jimmy!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 07:13
Quote: "How about the poo of Chuck Norris?"

That's just gross.

[/url]
IntelCore2Duo@2.60GHz-4GB RAM-NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M
Windows Vista Business 32bit / Ubuntu 8.10 64bit
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 11:04
Looking really good jimmy!!!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 13:51
Are we all doing teasers now? Well, why not?

I am currently working on a talking system and NPC system (I just need to pretty it up and put in some path finding), next I'll introduce an enemy you can fight, and use it to build the game. Once that's done and NaGaCreMo is out of the way, I can make it a bit more advanced with inventory systems etc.

For now, it'll just be a third person battle game, using none of my media (levels built in FPSC Free and character taken from the TGC store) most of my time so far has been trying to learn and use Newton for physics.

Attachments

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 14:00
I Chris K make my resolution to complete a game in the first 30 days of '09

It will be a graphical demo

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 15:49 Edited at: 28th Dec 2008 15:50
zenassem:

I hate to say it but I've changed my project again. I'm really bad at sticking with one project for more than a week, but I'll try this time. Anyways the game is called "Lonely", and it's a platformer, so you can edit your first post.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 16:56 Edited at: 28th Dec 2008 16:57
ok - heres my teaser:
Any in-game (Fake) website is accessible through the web browser.
Also zenassem, can you update your first post, It still says that my Project is TBA.

Attachments

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 17:07
All I have to show are some blender renders (hehe, that rhymes ):

Protagonist, rigged up:

Same person, attacking with a sharp broom for some reason:

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 17:39
TomJ your polygon count look way too high for game use, it'll effect your performance.

You only need between 500 and 2500 polygons for a character (depending on detail, given your detail, close to 500 would be better, then rely on textures to give the rest of the detail)

Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
hi! good luck man

pascontent.
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 19:02
mmmm, well that is the first person I have had a proper go at modelling, so something was bound to go a bit wrong, I will have a go at cutting out a load of faces (the person is 6000) because I probably relied on subdivision a bit too much. And I'm pretty bad at texturing, but oh well, it makes for a challenge. I should probably put in a normal map .

And thanks for the motivation Serge, if that was meant for me

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 19:35 Edited at: 28th Dec 2008 19:38
Quote: "
I hate to say it but I've changed my project again. I'm really bad at sticking with one project for more than a week, but I'll try this time. Anyways the game is called "Lonely", and it's a platformer, so you can edit your first post.
"

@ AndrewT, No problem, I'll change it. I too may be changing my project (although still completing the puzzler). Working with the blocks is not as inspiring as I thought, so during sessions I have been working on a simple 2d map editor, and working on a Gauntlet clone, except with modern characters. So I'll still focus on the puzzle game to get it done in time, but I hope I have 2 complete projects.

BTW, everyone's project teasers look awesome. Way to go! Now don't go and make your projects look too good. lol!

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 19:59
Jimmy and Seppuku yours looks superb! The others look awesome too.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 20:59 Edited at: 28th Dec 2008 21:00
Looks like a bunch of interesting games are up for NaGaCreMo.

As for teasers, I have put up a thread in the WiP section. Would be cool if we got our own NaGaCreMo section, though... Hehe.

Haunted WiP

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 23:35 Edited at: 28th Dec 2008 23:44
Quote: "Would be cool if we got our own NaGaCreMo section, though... Hehe. "

Yeah that would be cool. And right now we have 25 projects going. So if anyone with "powerz" can help make that happen it would be cool. If not I imagine it would be easiest for everyone to make a thread in the W.I.P. section and preface the title with [NaGaCreMo]<then title>. This will make it easy to find our projects.

Once we officially get to New Years, I will update the first post in this thread; provide links to your W.I.P. threads, screenshots (when available), and a summary. So if anyone makes a W.I.P. thread just shout it out here. And I will pull it all together.

It would be nice to have "userbar" links to your W.I.P. Thread, so if you can put something together in the next few days that would be great. I'll post an example of a user bar, so that we all have the same size.

example user bar Use this for size reference

Its 350 pixels X 19 pixels

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 23:57 Edited at: 28th Dec 2008 23:57
I think NaGaCreMo should become an official thing of each January, these kind of compos seem to work with a lot of things, if not on TGC, on its own site, where people can use any software to complete a project.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 00:04
Quote: "I think NaGaCreMo should become an official thing of each January, these kind of compos seem to work with a lot of things, if not on TGC, on its own site, where people can use any software to complete a project"

Yeah I was thinking by next year, I could have a site up and also talk to the other Na***Mo's to get their input. And perhaps, have something that just lets you paste source code, like the NaNoWriMo. You know more about it Seppuku so I may ask for some guidance.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 00:12
I think submitting the demo might be better - just to show that they have completed something. The whole 'copy and paste in the box' thing in NaNoWriMo, was a way to detect how many words you had instead of saying 'I have x words'. sort of like proof (given you were allowed to scramble in case you were paranoid, it still left room for cheating, but it was more tangible than stating it).

People might not want to submit source code, especially if they wish to use what they've got (or what they may develop it into) for commercial purposes. Even if you weren't to show anything publicly, people who want to enter may not trust the site. (Hence NaNoWriMo lets you scramble, I scrambled mine, because I am one of the paranoid few )

But I'll be willing to offer any input from my experience in partipating in NaNoWriMo, when and when you need it.

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 04:16
User bar? Sounds like a plan, I'll make one. ^^ And yes, I'm all for an annual NaGaCreMo.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 04:20
I think it would be great to do this every year! I'll actually get stuff done! Yipee!!

Oh, and here's a new, more accurate teaser. This morning I made the decision to do my game in 3D rather than 2D. Fortunately it wasn't too hard to port over what I have so far. So, new screenshot attached.

Attachments

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 04:36
Cool, what's it about? ^^

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 05:21 Edited at: 29th Dec 2008 05:23
To quote myself, it's "an RTS, Empire Earth-style."

I have some vague ideas for a storyline but I'm not going to post anything yet. The storyline will likely not be central to gameplay, in any case.

Edit: Sig fix.

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 13:55
There we go... User bar!

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 20:25 Edited at: 29th Dec 2008 20:28
Done my Userbar.
EDIT: Sig Test.

NaGaCreMo:

Attachments

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 21:38 Edited at: 29th Dec 2008 21:41
Yay, me too!

Btw, lookin good, bmac. Judging by your DBP Challenge skillz, you should have no problem pulling this off

You too, Seppuku. I love your shiny women... I just love shiny women...

And good luck to everyone else! Let's rocka rocka rock it.

[/href]
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 21:55
Cheers Jim Jim, though I didn't model her myself - I got her from the TGC store - I would like to use my own media, but I think I'll get more done this way. Shininess is thanks to DBP's built in bump mapping shader. Normal Map courtesy of MikeS' Normal Map Generator.

Lets hope everybody finishes then - I think some people's ideas and shots show so good small projects.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 23:56
Thanks, Jimmy . I'm feeling pretty good about this, the pathfinding was what I was most concerned about, and I've got that all finished.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 00:00
Yeah everything is looking really good! Great projects. I like the userbars we have so far. I will be working on mine, and my project tonight. I'll start editing the first post in this thread to include your projects userbars, and I'll add links to W.I.P.'s as they go up.

Feel free to keep us posted here.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 01:29 Edited at: 30th Dec 2008 01:30
I was too lazy to make my own so I used the userbar designer.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 02:37
AndrewT, That's cool! I didn't even know they had something like that. So anyone who doesn't want or have the time to create one, just use the tool AndrewT provided.

I wish I knew how to mask properly and create that glossy glare.
I'll have to read up.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 02:43
Quote: "I wish I knew how to mask properly and create that glossy glare. I'll have to read up.
"

I don't know what you use for image editing, but in GIMP and PS it's as simple as creating a new layer, drawing the glare and filling it with white, then setting the layer's opacity to about half. To draw the glare I usually just use the curve tool, in GIMP there's a "Make Selection from Curve" option so you can just draw the curve, get the selection then fill it.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 03:00
hehe thanx, This one didn't come out exaclty right, but a little bit of tweaking!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 03:08
I think you should add more spots to the list, people might think it is "full" and not sign up.

img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t88/gamingcolosseum/nagacremoca9.png[/img]
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 15:42
Quote: "I think you should add more spots to the list, people might think it is "full" and not sign up."

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 15:48 Edited at: 30th Dec 2008 15:59
I should hope no one is as foolish enough to make that assumption...

...if they do, then I will purge them from society, you know I can do that? It's an interesting trick, those stars and celebrities you no longer hear about, or those whose careers have gone to pits, yep, that was me.

Anyway, I've got my little banner thing for you silly folks, though it meant killing my previous siggy.

I think I might use this as an opportunity to resurrect Abeyance, but just a battle mode. Then I can work on the design again.

[edit]

Saying that, I never actually started Abeyance for real.

Those interested: the two previous threads made on it.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=54533&b=19 (This thread will probably show how misguided I was )
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=76727&b=19

But I'll keep it small to start with - hence just a 'battle' mode for the NaGaCreMo.

Plan and ideas need work.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 00:07
Hmm, could I enter the complete Dream demo? It's just that I'm not about the start another project right now, and I plan to release a full demo on the 1st (2 days for me). Also it's not like I'd be doing it from scratch. As of this moment I'm essentially done with the demo.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 00:45
Quote: "Hmm, could I enter the complete Dream demo? It's just that I'm not about the start another project right now, and I plan to release a full demo on the 1st (2 days for me). Also it's not like I'd be doing it from scratch. As of this moment I'm essentially done with the demo."

I don't see why not. How long have you been working on it? Will you be doing anything else to it in the next few days. We all had a chance to start a bit earlier than the 30 days, and it's not a competition as much as it is a commitment. So I believe you have met the requirements.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 00:50 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 00:51
Sorry for double post

@Seppuku Arts, I linked your userbar (in the firs post of the thread) to the second forum link that you provided. Is this correct?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 01:33
No it's not - those are just old design threads I had running of the game (just showing them as this is a revived project) - I've actually just made a WIP thread for this:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142465&b=8

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 01:38
@Seppuku Arts, Thanks, it's now changed.

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 01:43
@Seppuku: Looks nice, I'll have a closer look at it later.
@bizar guy: I don't see the problem with that. It's all about committing yourself to finishing a project. And personally, I kind of started my project about 8 years ago.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 01:55
@Bizar Guy, I added you to the list. All I need is a userbar from you (see above) and I'll add the link to your W.I.P. project. I remember reading about this, and I'm excited that a demo is on the way. Congrats!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 02:57
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 05:39
I'm in.

You'll see my WIP soon enough

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 05:48 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 05:52
Yay! If you have the time could you also create a userbar. Or just use the link above to generate a quick one. Once you post back with the WIP I'll link your userbar to your WIP thread.

Oh and don't forget to sign. Just copy the following line and insert your username in it. Same for Bizar Guy. WE NEED TO HAVE OFFFICIAL RECORDS! lol!

I , <your username>, make my resolution to complete a project in the first 30 days of '09

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 06:27 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 06:28
I have a WIP thread now.

It has a demo in it.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142480&b=8

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 03:35:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 03:35:39