Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / World Off Road

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 04:34
Yeah I wasn't trying to get people to do those models from that description. - If someone wants to do a model, they need to talk to me first about how to do it.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 04:37
I see, then i am of no help there. I cant model to a description to save my life. xD

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 04:54
*checks for latest edition of derectx* nope, I have the latest and greatest, I'm going to try to update my navada phyx drive. but is there anything else you think it could be? I really want to play this XO
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 04:59
oh, can I make a model? what kind of specs would it need?
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 05:16 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 05:17
I don't know where the DLL is from but you can just type in the name into Google and redownload it. xD

It'll depend on which model you wish to make. - It would of course have to be consistent with the models I already have and requires its own texture (i.e. not one just nabbed from internet resources) with alpha mapping (for the trees)

The checkpoint is probably the easiest model as it requires no special manipulation and just needs to look like one of these types.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 05:47
ok. I found the dll... now what folder do I put it in? sorry to sound like a noob...

I wish to make a vehicle, looking at the models you have it looks like it's mostly solid colors, so I should be able to texture it myself just fine. I'm decent with models. I made the planet express ship from futurama

why do you need a check point? surly you can make one. (not trying to be rude or anything, it's just that it's a bis floaty thing)
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 06:03
I have no idea where that DLL goes. - You can just Google that too. xD

And I'm afraid you've rather missed my point:

We only need 3 more models made to finish WOR.
Those 3 models are - A dead tree, a swampy tree and a checkpoint.

We have no need for any other models.

I can model a checkpoint and did for the placeholder we're using in World Off Road, but it is just that: a placeholder. We need a properly modeled one. - This was going to be done by our modelling department but they all ran away.

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 06:56 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 07:32
what do you want the model to be .x .3ds what. i've got the checkpoint done, just need to export. i'll post a picture in a sec

EDIT:
This only has 96 tris with a baked normal and ao map. If you need it a little more high res i can make it easily

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 06:58 Edited at: 6th Mar 2011 05:34
[edited out as result of a change of heart]null[/edited out as result of a change of heart]

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 08:10
Lol, once again someone has failed to actually ask me the details of the checkpoint and has again done it wrong.

First off, I wanted a checkpoint - not a finish line.
Second, the checkpoint needs to show up on all the maps - a black checkpoint won't show up on the death zones.
Thirdly, why does it randomly say off road up the side? - I can't really read it properly so I doubt anyone in a car going past it could read it either.

Seriously - if someone wants to help, tell me and I'll give you all the details and discuss it all with you. xD - I don't just want random models.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 09:09 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 09:12
"Do not look a gift horse in the mouth" works even in Scotland?

i see you a bit desperate!!! don't worry, with the quantity there is the quality!!!

Ciao facce da sedere!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 15:12
Quote: "Do not look a gift horse in the mouth"

That doesn't actually make any sense. xD (Even in Scotland)

I'm not desperate - WOR just won't get finished unless I have those 3 models. ! - Plenty of other things to occupy myself with.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 16:02
Quote: "That doesn't actually make any sense. xD (Even in Scotland)
"

don't know your way to say this, but it is something like this:

-if someone give you something for free, it isn't a good behaviour to complain if you don't like it.-

i know idioms are impossible to translate...

Ciao facce da sedere!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 16:12 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 16:14
Quote: "Do not look a gift horse in the mouth"

It's a fairly well known saying where I come from too Ermes, I thought in Scotland too? You said it correctly in the right context.

I'm sure C0wbox didn't mean to be rude though.

EDIT: Incidentally C0wbox, where are you from in Scotland? My family are originally from Dumfries and Galloway (Wigtown to be precise)

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 17:09
xD I've never heard that saying before in my life and can't see the meaning after re-analysing it either. !

I'm not from Scotland I just live and go to university here. - I'm from England in general.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 17:11
I installed the dll and now the game works fine you did a great job. tho it made me realize that I need a new computer...

sorry about the model thing. I thought that the project was open to contributing. it was a misunderstanding on my part.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 17:30 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 17:44
Would you believe it's New Testiment? Not sure I do but even so it's been around in England (at least) since at least the days of the Tudors...

I must be getting old...
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth - Proverb origin

Summary: Old horses have long teeth so if someone gives you a horse don't assess it's value (age according to length of teeth) in front of them. It's kind of like checking the price tag on a present.

I'm sure you'll have heard the alternative version: "Beggars can't be choosers"?
EDIT: Not really appropriate in this case as you weren't asking for models just contact from someone willing to make some

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 23:54
I have changed my mind since a few posts above, what kinda spec do you want on this model? Keep in mind im only considering making one...

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 05:29 Edited at: 6th Mar 2011 05:47
My modeling software is waiting! Ohh! 11 days of inactivity on this thread

Oh and @Southside Games
Quote: "sorry about the model thing"
tis ok man You seemed sorry you even tried...

@C0wbox Actually he did talk to you about the model.
Quote: "oh, can I make a model? what kind of specs would it need?"

Quote: "Lol, once again someone has failed to actually ask me the details of the checkpoint and has again done it wrong"
Actually a quite nice model that pictionaryjr made! Just sad to think that C0wbox wont use it.

C0wobx, i dont mean to be rude to you but you seem pretty ungrateful towards the effort that was put into the models. I would have said to pictionaryjr how i would change it, not what was bad about it.

Quote: "First off, I wanted a checkpoint - not a finish line.
Second, the checkpoint needs to show up on all the maps - a black checkpoint won't show up on the death zones.
Thirdly, why does it randomly say off road up the side? - I can't really read it properly so I doubt anyone in a car going past it could read it either"
*faceplam*

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 12:17 Edited at: 6th Mar 2011 12:19
What do you think about this checkpoint? I just need to slap some tire texture on it.

Attachments

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 13:36
@ charger bandit
That would be a good checkpoint but for the same reasons as the last one, a tire texture would be no good.

The checkpoints need to stand out and not blend in with any of the terrains. - I.e. Not be completely green/white/black/orange/beige.

The checkpoint I've been using so far would be ideal but it just needs remodeling/retexturing because I did it in Deled which is horrible for real applications.

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 14:36
OK I have recreated your original checkpoint,I think it is pretty cool. I have attached the model,texture and uvmap,in case you want to modify or scrap it,I don't care

Attachments

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 14:41
Here is also a car inspired by WOR,it is a concept which was modeled quickly,if you want it,I can finish it up.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 15:01
Quote: "I.e. Not be completely orange"

Quote: "Those 3 models are - A dead tree, a swampy tree and a checkpoint.

We have no need for any other models."

I'm sorry to be so ungrateful and blunt about all this but I really don't have time to be sillying around with other media now.

Literally all WOR needs is a checkpoint and 2 trees. xD

If someone wants to invest the time to do these properly, add me on MSN and I'll go through the design process with you which will ensure they look right and are scaled properly.

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 15:51
I have added you to MSN so we can fix up the checkpoint,then model the trees too.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 18:39
Very well.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 19:39
COwbox,

Any insights you can share into the setup of vehicles with DarkPhysics? I'm having a hell of a time getting that sorted out where I have a drivable vehicle.

Thanks.

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't believe you're going to get your "Perfect" checkpoint unless you do it yourself

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 20:34
@ KISTech
I'd suggest not using DarkPhysics for a start... xD

Also the way WOR is doing it isn't exactly very sleek; it works but is limited in terms of steering/suspension.

@ pictionaryjr
Well charger bandit is more or less there, it just needs some technical tweaks.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 21:03 Edited at: 8th Mar 2011 01:23
I guess I'll give Newton another look.

Wish that Havok plugin could have gotten finished.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 02:24 Edited at: 8th Mar 2011 03:00
Quote: "I don't believe you're going to get your "Perfect" checkpoint unless you do it yourself"
YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Lol C0wbox, you havent replied to my massage at the end of the last page, you dont have negative feelings unto me do you? I can see why you would, i essentially put you down by telling you how rude you were being to the people willing to make nice contributions to WOR! Nah, im kidding!

Attachments

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 02:59 Edited at: 8th Mar 2011 03:00
Well i made one for you, yah, i know i didnt chat with you about the specs, i just did the best i could. Here tis, download attached:

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 10:09
Quote: "Any insights you can share into the setup of vehicles with DarkPhysics? I'm having a hell of a time getting that sorted out where I have a drivable vehicle."

Hey KISTech, I did a thread a while ago about this.

Here's a LINK

@C0wbox, have you considered using/buying TreeMagik? I have it and it's really easy to use. The trees it produces could be just what you need...

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 15:44 Edited at: 8th Mar 2011 15:54
@ Dark basic dude79
I've already said quite a few times what I need so I can't be bothered beating around the bush with the whole "you're not being very nice" stuff and having to respond all the time. - People also say here just don't reply to posts you don't rate highly because that's generally what causes social issues on these forums.

So, I ignored your post because people have expressed similar views before you.

I never once said "Please, everyone - send in loads of pictures of a model so I can pick the best one." - Because that's not what I was after at all.

@ Dark basic dude79
Yeah although the shape is good the texture is horrible and because you aren't discussing it with me, the scale and format requirements will be all wrong.

Also, I thought I implied charger bandit was on the case? - I.e. I don't need anymore screenshots of checkpoints from random people...

@ baxslash
I've considered using a lot of things in WOR and picked what I felt was the best choice at the time and stuck with it.

I only need 2 more trees so getting/learning how to use a whole new program would be a waste of time as the other 3 trees were done just fine.

Also, from what I've heard you can't edit the trees in TreeMagik to the degree I'd want. - I require polygon/vertex/edge manipulation as a minimum in any program I use. - (Hence why I went with T.ED for the terrains instead of Blitzterrain - and have been modelling everything in Deled because it's essentially a cartography program so you can do everything you need to a model rather than fancy high-poly effects.)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 15:57
Quote: "I've considered using a lot of things in WOR and picked what I felt was the best choice at the time and stuck with it.

I only need 2 more trees so getting/learning how to use a whole new program would be a waste of time as the other 3 trees were done just fine.

Also, from what I've heard you can't edit the trees in TreeMagik to the degree I'd want. - I require polygon/vertex/edge manipulation as a minimum in any program I use. - (Hence why I went with T.ED for the terrains instead of Blitzterrain - and have been modelling everything in Deled because it's essentially a cartography program so you can do everything you need to a model rather than fancy high-poly effects.)"

Fair enough, just a suggestion.

Hope someone is capable of modelling something that meets your high standards soon, a lot of people itching to play the finished version (me included)

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 16:03
Well from what charger bandit did of the checkpoint he should be able to manage it but I'm in no hurry to finish WOR at the moment. - I've got a lot on my plate now terms started again. (One of the reasons I was trying to rush my team to get it finished over Xmas but we failed at that so it's just stagnating now.)

Even the release time I put at the end of the last WOR trailer was just there because I needed some more text and felt summer should be far enough away. - Whether it'll really get finished by summer or not I don't know. - Hopefully I should be able to finish it over the summer though but I'm not promising anything.

After I get this checkpoint and trees I'll probably invest a bit more time into deving again and get these new maps made but until charger bandit does them I probably won't even open DBP again. xD

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 18:02
@Baxslash,

I saw that thread while I was trying to figure all that out. It helped, but there seems to be some confusion about the order in which the wheels should be added to DP. I also noticed that rather than the X, Y, Z positions of the wheels, you add them as Z, Y, X. They do the same thing in the vehicle demo for DP. Haven't really found a good reason why, and swapping them around doesn't seem to do much but add to the confusion.

I'm moving away from DarkPhysics for this. It's sad that the plugin isn't at least better documented to reduce or eliminate the confusion. So much of the documentation was just left blank.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 18:17
i've a question, you will plain to sell WOR or it will be freeware?

Ciao facce da sedere!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 18:21
Quote: "It's sad that the plugin isn't at least better documented to reduce or eliminate the confusion. So much of the documentation was just left blank."

True. It's far from perfect but there are alternatives out there.

It is still possible to make vehicles using DP by manually adding joints in DP and using forces to turn the wheels and I'm working on a few possible methods of doing that for various purposes at the moment for another new game (yes another WIP thread nearly ready to start but I figure since I published four games and three demo versions on AppUp in the last 6 months I built up some credit )

Actually I think I'm working on five games at the moment... I lost count

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 18:25
Quote: "Actually I think I'm working on five games at the moment... I lost count"

I have enough trouble just keeping 2 straight.

It takes so long sometimes to work through the things that you would think might be so simple. Trying to use DP on this vehicle has cost me 3 days of development already..

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 19:14
@ KISTech
I'd recommend DarkDynamiX - just because it's actually still being worked on and isn't like 3 years old.

@ Ermes
Na WOR was always going to be free. - That's why I stuck those billboards up to help donations or to offer ingame advertising space for those who want it.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 21:33
Quote: "Na WOR was always going to be free. - That's why I stuck those billboards up to help donations or to offer ingame advertising space for those who want it."

nice!

Ciao facce da sedere!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2011 00:14
Ok C0wobox, i do apologize

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2011 05:51
Quote: " to offer ingame advertising space for those who want it."
That's cool! What dimensions are required?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2011 09:05 Edited at: 10th Mar 2011 09:06
Ingame billboard adverts need to be 512*342 @ £2 a month per advert. - I can stick them in as early as the current version and they'll get shown for anyone who plays this or later versions because its been retrieving them off the Soharix webspace since like 5 versions ago. (If people aren't playing with an internet connection it just loads a local Soharix advert included with the game.)

Currently the game only includes support for 2 different adverts but if people express interest it's not trouble to increase that number for a later version. (Adverts are chosen randomly per billboard each time a map is loaded.)

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 00:37
Ah, being that it costs money i would have to think about it but on the other hand it's a good idea to charge money!

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 21:30
Quote: "Adverts are chosen randomly per billboard each time a map is loaded.)"

it might be a good idea to change them per lap to allow more advertisements per game.
just a thought.

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 21:49
@ Commico Inc
That wouldn't be too hard to do but would detract from any realism the game retains as billboards take men with ladders to change the poster on them in real life. xD

There are enough billboards around a map to ensure the advertisements get seen regularly enough. - And with the current lap lengths the likelihood of getting bored and switching map (thus re-texturing all the billboards) is fairly high anyway. xD

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 00:04 Edited at: 15th Mar 2011 00:06
Well then put in some good ol men with ladders! Just kidding but this is a good idea C0wbox Something always inspired me as a little kid seeing the different advertisements on billboards on Mario Karts 64... Nintendo 64 FTW!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 00:21
Oh, actually I got this (and most of the other ideas for WOR) from TrackMania Nations (/Forever) - I've never played MarioKart64 - I've actually only used an N64 like once.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:27:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:27:47