Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / v2 Feature Requests

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 17:56
I like to see a command like getStringToken that works with text objects. So that you can get what word or characters the pointer/finger hits in a text object.

I never want what I know.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 02:39
@Rich - no word on it yet, but I imagine it is already on Paul's list so I'll keep it out of ours for now

@Tim - I don't see any commands for skinning either. I'm going to assume that it's in the works for now. The idea to get a particular word hit in a text object would be nice. I'm not sure if this is needed though yet. There is GetTexCharX/Y(). So feasibly you could simply get the bounding box for that word by knowing the index of the first and last characters in the word in the text object's string.
For example,
text = CreateText("This is a message. Click here.")
xMin# = GetTextCharX(text , 19)
yMin# = GetTextCharY(text , 19)
xMax# = GetTextCharX(text , 29)
yMax# = GetTextCharY(text , 28) + GetTextSize(text)

But that brings up an alternative idea that I thought of a while back:
It would be nice to underline, bold, or italicize characters in a text object or at least be able to set a different font for characters in a text object. That way we can do something other than change the color to indicate the area of text is clickable. I've actually been thinking of building something like this for Wordspionage so that when we send out news messages we can include links. I know I can at least do the color change and underline. Maybe I'll work up an example...

Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 03:12 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2014 03:13
@ Naphier

I agree, so I guess the suggestion could look something like:

More text commands to interact with and change the attributes of individual or group of characters in text objects.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 04:21
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212505&b=41
Here's what I'm talking about. I'm not sure that much more than what AppGameKit already has is needed as I feel we already have to tools to write our own. I thought it might not be possible to do some things and then after writing this code up I can see plenty of ways to format text as needed.

Also, if Paul implements TTF then we might see bold, italic, and underline come along with it. If not, then we have ways to work with it anyway.

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ability to show sprite shapes (i.e. base shape used for collisions) would be useful for debugging.
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 14:32
You can show sprite shapes with SetPhysicsDebugOn().

Or do you mean something else?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 23:47
@ Naphier,

OK, here are some draft suggested SQLITE commands - anyone who knows anything about SQLITE will get the drift of where I am coming from:-

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 00:07 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2014 02:20
@ Naphier,

And here are some very draft suggested additional commands for arrays...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 00:18
To be brutally honest, I think most of these are a bit pointless.

MyArray.index : How does an array contain an index?

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 02:21
@ JimHawkins,

See what you mean. I've amended post above so it hopefully makes more sense. What I was after was something more akin to the enhanced DBPro Array commands and IanM Plugin array commands together...

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 09:23
@ Duffer - I think those kind of operations are better conducted on lists rather than arrays. A dynamic list type would certainly enhance AppGameKit Basic.

Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 10:20 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2014 10:22

Native Technology
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
1. AStar path finding on a user definable grid. Settings for higher costs should be possible too.
2. Steam API integration
3. Flurry integration.
4. Google play complete integration.
5. Support for OGG sound format.
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 16:22
I would second Flurry & Google PLay integration.

Also, loops for tweens - Like the original tween library I think was used as the basis for the AppGameKit implementation.
ApkGames.Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 17:14
I've added my couple of wishes too:

1) A sprite wrap-round function, whereby setting a single parameter, as and when your sprite goes off the screen, say left hand side, it automatically appears to come in on the right. Good for scrolling game backgrounds instead of juggling with 2 or more individual sprites.

2) I use Tier1 and one of the most important things to me is to start to sell in=app purchasing. I've followed all methods previously on here without success, so to have the IDE give the compile to APK and all associated options such as in-app purchasing etc would be great!

Cheers, Ian.

www.zortokgames.com
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 21:24
@ JimHawkins,

Good idea - I'd love linked lists with udts too - but too tall an order?

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 21:51 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2014 22:06
@Duffer -
SQLLite stuff all makes sense to me. I imagine there must exist a fairly inclusive C++ library that will do this. If someone can find it and do a successful t2 integration then I think Paul will be much more likely to take it seriously.
Regarding the array commands: currentIndex/first/last/next/previous just doesn't make any sense to me. There is no current index in an array, you just enter the specific index (i.e. myArray[10]). I'm not sure I get these at all. value = myArray[x] this already exists... undim already exists, empty is on the list. Save array is already listed as a feature that will be added. That leaves us with saving UDT arrays, reverseSorting, sorting UDT arrays on various subtypes. I don't think #include would be the way to go, I'm assuming you want this to load the array? Also we can write our own code to save/load UDT and standard arrays to file. It's actually really easy and I do it all the time.

@Stormforce -
"wrapping" a sprite to the other side of the screen is pretty simple. I don't think there needs to be a specific command to do this. If you want to show half of the sprite on on side and the other half on the other side then just use 2 sprites.
Many of us are using IAP. If you haven't tried my most recent guide to creating APK for Android, then you should check it out over on the Android forum. If you need assistance beyond that I can provided you with one on one. I've helped a number of people from the forums get going with this as well as publishing. Every person I've helped has had issues only because of human error. Not their fault though, the process is fairly complex! I was just looking through the new IDE and commands. There is now InAppPurchaseSetKeys ( szData1, szData2 ) which was the only thing that needed to be modified in java to set up IAP. So it looks like this is all covered.

@Mikehart -
I've no idea how A* path finding would work. I imagine this would be 3D only? Also I'm thinking that this might need to be created by some of us rather than AppGameKit implementing a library for something this complex.
Steam and Google Play Game services are already on the list.
OGG is added, though I remember Paul saying something that this has issue on various platforms. Can you be more specific on what commands we might need for Flurry? If it is just setup then we should be able to do that in java, but I imagine there are event triggers or something like that.

With Google Play SDK integration, let's work on a more specific list of commands. I'll start and you guys add to it:
Quote: "Login/Logout
GetUserID
GetUserEmail
GetLeaderboardPosition(leaderBoardID$)
GetLeaderboardScore(leaderBoardID$)
SubmitLeaderboardScore(leaderboardID$)
ShowLeaderboard(leaderboardID$)
AddAchievement(achievementID$) //for setup
UnlockAchievment(achievmentID$)
GetAchievementUnlocked(acheivementID$)
IncrementAchievment(achievmentID$ , byAmount)
ShowAchievement(achievementID$)
SaveGameState(dataFile$) //there is some conflict resolution in this stuff that would need to be thought out.
LoadGameState(dataFile$)
G+ share
There are also some really powerful multiplayer commands in GPGS.

Would be great if there were some more commands like this for Game Center too. "

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I've no idea how A* path finding would work. I imagine this would be 3D only? Also I'm thinking that this might need to be created by some of us rather than AppGameKit implementing a library for something this complex."

No, it could be used for 2D too. But if you want to create it in AppGameKit, then imho it will be to slow to calculate new paths fast enough. I have a nice AStar lib running in another tool. I could port that but like I said, to slow I think.

Quote: "Can you be more specific on what commands we might need for Flurry?"

Oh, there are a lot, but Analytics are the ones I am looking for. And yes, you couldn't set it up for Tier1 yourself completely.
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 08:51
At its most basic, Flurry has 2 types of events that you can log.

Timed events & Single events. All are logged with a string event name.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 09:16
@ Naphier,

re Arrays - ok then I go with a request for linked lists... which can be saved/loaded....

re Sqlite3, I have tier1 AppGameKit (not sure I have tier2 AGK) and I am only passable with C++. However, let's say I have/get tier 2 of the original AppGameKit, and let's say I created a Windows dll for it, how does that play out with Android and iOS AppGameKit, let alone AGK2?

(I created a Sqlite3 plugin for DBPro, eventually. I could probably do it much quicker this time, with what I know now.)

In the meantime, perhaps this would be useful for Paul on Sqlite3:-

http://www.sqlite.org/capi3ref.html

and this:-

http://www.sqlite.org/quickstart.html

this:-

http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/funclist.html

the Sqlite3 database file format:-

http://www.sqlite.org/fileformat2.html

and finally this (but scroll down):-

http://www.sqlite.org/download.html

ApkGames.Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 15:00
Hi Naphier,

Thanks for the response. If possible, a simple (hopefully) set of instructions would be helpful, that can be followed at command prompt if needed.

I currently use the supplied /android/create_apk.php to get my APK. I then want to include IAP into the APK. Do you have a list of manual steps I would perform to do the needed?

I have tried all options I've seen on this site, including the Automate program etc, but all fail along the line at some stage. Not being clued up on java and terms/processes/steps needed, makes it difficult to appreciate why and what is happening and where to start to resolve it.

Many thanks,

Ian.

www.zortokgames.com
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 22:00
I'm not aware of any command line way to do it. Automate should work fine. The new v2 IDE should work fine. I use Eclipse for all of our projects so I have the most control. If you'd like some one-on-one help, shoot me an email. I can get you up and going on it.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 12:13
This may be a fairly simple one for Paul:

The new sound commands are very good and powerful. But to play a sound at a modified rate and pan requires a three stage event:

PlaySound() to get the instance
SetSoundInstanceRate() to set the rate
SetSoundInstanceBalance() to set the pan position

I, and others, would like an overloaded PlaySound() which would allow the rate and balance, as well as volume, to be set in one call. This would be faster on slower systems and less painful in code!

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 12:22
Another interesting feature could be :
Enumeration/EndEnumeration

for constant for example :
instead of that :

we could have :

It could be interesting to add or delete an element easily.

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 21:02
@ Naphier,

I'm not going to be able to draft anything sqlite for agk but hopefully those links etc will give Paul enough to go by...

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 21:09
Understandable, after looking over those links I think that SQLLite 3 is going to be quite a tall order unless there is a standard C++ library for it. Even then the range of commands that would need to be added is just huge. I'm going to keep it on the list becuase, who knows, and maybe even in AppGameKit v3 someday, but I'm thinking it is a very remote possibility.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 23:21
@ Naphier,

Some standard C++ libraries for Sqlite:-

http://sqlitewrapper.kompex-online.com/

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/6343/CppSQLite-C-Wrapper-for-SQLite

See - I'm determined....

and from Eclipse community forums:-

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/784561/

Any use?

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 23:31
Looks good, I'll keep the info so Paul can see it. Thanks!

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You can show sprite shapes with SetPhysicsDebugOn().

Or do you mean something else?"

Oh...yes...that would be the one - Cheers Ched80
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm running my platform game and when I check the CPU usage it's around 30%. I'm guessing because AppGameKit doesn't fully utilize all threads? Seems a shame to be using 30% of available power...so any change of deeper multi-threading?
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
We absolutely need object limb/part support!!

Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 02:43
@Naphier

A "SetStringToken()" command should compliment the "getStringtoken()" command...

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 07:39
Totally agree with Timshark. I ended up coding my own version of SetStringToken() and I use it in a number of apps.

Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 16:09 Edited at: 12th Nov 2014 16:45
@ched88

Quote: "I ended up coding my own version of SetStringToken()"

Something you like to share?

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 17:54 Edited at: 24th Apr 2016 22:29
How about a SetSpriteImage(SpriteID,ImageID,StageID) ?

With the stageid we could add a normalmap or an alphamask and use shaders on it like we can with 3D.

Oh I guess it's already in the list: "Multiple texture images on sprites"
maybe bump it a bit because with imageindexes for sprites comes blendmode by it self

Using AGKv2 Tier1
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 19:07
@Timshark sure:

code for SetStringToken()

Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 19:56 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 16:21
@Ched80

Brilliant. This is a great start for me. I have to find some way of including multiple delimiters - like a comma, so It only changes the word and keeps the comma.

Thanks for sharing!!

Edit: I´ve created a new post with a setStringToken() function : http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212613&b=41

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 22:09
@ Naphier,

Are we close now to a role out of the total list and voting?

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 22:24 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 22:32
Not sure, maybe in a month. I'm swamped with consulting work and prepping Sudoku In Space version 2 ("the story begins" or "a stellar story")
Also I'd like to see if BatVink can announce this thread in the newsletter so that folks who don't visit the forums often have their chance to be heard as well. I'll check with him on that right now.

EDIT:
Nix the one month timeframe. If BatVink is allowed to announce the thread in the newsletter then I'd like to allow another month of input. After that I'd want him to do another announcement about the poll being ready for voting then give another month with the polls open. That will not only provide us with a good amount of time for everyone to get in on this, but will also give Paul a chance to get in a better space with AppGameKit where he can possibly look at the list and give it some attention.

Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 00:07 Edited at: 17th Nov 2014 10:49
I think these suggestions are great, however in addition to the Functions suggested here , I would like to see speed improvements in the V2 core, dont get me wrong in specific areas AppGameKit excels but atm I am running a diagnostic test on bytes by dumping them into a memblock and then reading bytes from the memblock as needed using a "for next" loop
atm I'm finding that its taking 20 seconds to process 1 kilobyte of data , u take that and *20seconds by 1MB worth of data and suddenly a very small file has taken 20seconds*1000 = 20,000seconds to process.
I Realise that speeds vary from device to device and that reading and calculating byte data is probably not what AppGameKit is inteded for ,also I understand that maybe 90% of the Tier 1 users will probably not bother with processing data in this manner, however it shows that there is optimisation needing to be done somewhere , maybe inside the intepreting of the AppGameKit loop functions and possible excess overhead in the processing? , I also realise that there could be slight delays caused by having to access memblocks but I could benchmark the "for next" loop without going there and would almost have similar results.
My comments are intended in a constructive manner and is purely my personal opinion

EDIT: I have since ran tests with Naphier and other very helpful community members and found that AppGameKit in fact is more than capable of great speeds and the issue that raised my concern was a simple mistake on my behalf , AppGameKit is awesome

Native Technology
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 00:15
@Native Tech - To achieve high-performance in a byte-code interpreter for this kind of operation is unrealistic. Using T2 C++ or Pascal will compile to native code which will do it as fast as the processor core(s) will allow.

Things need to play to their strengths.

Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 02:00 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 02:02
Of course JimHawkins , dont assume that I do not know that already ,its kinda beside the point that I am making which is that the core could do with optimizing on speed , also if the functions arent able to be used effeciently than why are they there in the first place Jim???, my point is not about reading bytes , its about "speed" on a general basis with the byte reading as a given example

Native Technology
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 05:41 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 05:46
I have done some comparison tests with other frameworks using Tier 2 (testing physics, rendering, and straight up data manipulation (which is not really testing the engine core) and from my perspective, AppGameKit is right on par or better than most out there (I have of course not exhaustively run tests of every use case, nor compared against every alternative solution out there!)

As Jim says, expecting super impressive speeds out of a byte code interpreter for what you're describing is a bit unrealistic, and IMHO Tier 1 is pretty reasonably fast for a lot of things as is!

I just personally don't see the interpreter speed as a huge concern at the moment with the big list of other potential improvements that could be looked at.

*Of course* optimization is always welcomed in any case!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 06:06 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 06:27
@Native Tech - Something sounds very wrong there. Wordspionage uses data files to store up to 30 active games. Files get up to ~120kb and don't take anywhere near 20 seconds to open the file, read the bytes, xor them, and set the bytes to memblocks, they aren't all bytes though, many are integers so maybe that's the issue, but even then...

So I'm terribly curious. Can you start a new thread so we can discuss outside of this? Maybe there's some optimization we can assist you with.

EDIT
Just ran a basic test on on Windows 7 - mid-high end machine
memblock size = 100,000,000 bytes (95.3MB)
make memblock time (fill with random bytes) = 13.07 sec
write block to file = 18.69 sec
clear memblock time (set to all 0) = 10.0 sec
load file into memblock time = 29.13 sec

So that's 95.3MB / 29.13 sec = 3.27 MB/s
Just for S&G I copied the file from my one HDD to another (both are somewhat fast) and it copied at 3.8MB/s
I'd say AGK's doing a pretty fine job and is really just slowed by the disk speed. I'm sure on Android or iOS it is a bit slower. If I have time I'll test, but here's my code:

Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
Naphier thank u for ur constructive testing i may post u sum source in comparison because ur speeds are more on point with what im expecting.i may start a new thread

Native Technology
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2014 23:18 Edited at: 24th Apr 2016 22:30
Quote: "More Spine commands - Texture and mesh deformations - I need more to list specifically."

After I got my SetSpriteAdditionalImage() command I would like to have the same ability for spine... so we can add normalmapping/lighting to our characters.

For example: SetSkeleton2DTexture(SkeletonID,ImageID,StageID) ?
Or can we change the textures in the json file ?

Using AGKv2 Tier1
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 05:51
Surprised this hasn't already been asked for...

I'd really really really really really really like Function in Types
ie.

or maybe like this:

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 17:31
@ easter bunny

I agree that'd be a nice first step towards OO abilities, without forcing you into that if you don't like it. (And i think that second version is clearer / has less potential issues.)
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 22:19
I've got additions i would like to see

when i click on command that i have it would be nice that it show me
it's rule as to what i need to put in

the help menu when pressing f1
would be nice in the editor instead of the web browser

or the option to set ware that would be shown

every things work fine
even building apk files works fine

it was a tiny bit confusing since i had not used it before
but i understand what to be dun

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 22:30 Edited at: 17th Nov 2014 22:33
OUYA Community Content link.

easter bunny:
We can now send arrays to functions by reference. So this has become less relevant. That's two ways to do the same thing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:36:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:36:20