Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / v2 Feature Requests

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 03:09
Quote: "We can now send arrays to functions by reference. So this has become less relevant. That's two ways to do the same thing."

yes, I noticed that you can do that. Lol it was one of the first things I checked for in the help docs

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Multicoder
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2014 04:43
I don't know if this was requested before, but I really would like to pin the "Scribble" area so that it doesn't hide when I move the mouse elsewhere or writing code.

Additionally it would be nice to move the "Scribble" area to another place. I would like it to stick at the right side of the IDE.

Here is a screenshot of how I usually work. I have Notepad++ sticked right hand side near the IDE.
That way I have lots of space to scribble and can always take a look while coding.

Yes, I am aware that I sound like a caveman to native english speakers
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2014 06:17
+1 to Bluetooth support!

Requests:

- Autohide support for all IDE panels! Since DBPro I've always had all panels autohide when you click in the code, but AGK2 doesn't allow this.
- Delegates! Let us make a variable that contains a reference to a function that can be changed at runtime! This is exceptionally useful (even necessary) for callback systems.

Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2014 13:39 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2014 13:41
Edit: Deleted. Sorry. wrong thread.

I never want what I know.
ChEeZeBaLL
Years of Service
User Offline
I donated to the V2 kickstarter early on and just downloaded it, but haven't been closely keeping track of new features so I'm not sure if these have been added or not; I don't see them in the current documentation:

- The ability to play OGG files and seamlessly loop them (MP3 doesn't really support seamless looping, OGG does).

- Start playing OGG files at a specified location (frame accurate).

- Change speed/pitch of OGG file that is currently playing (in order to simulate the effect of a turntable being stopped for instance, or give a negative value to play the song in reverse).
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 00:35
Unfortunately, Apple blocked Ogg Vorbis as a web and general standard. I will say no more!

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 21:30
Multicoder:
This will affect the entire message window but you can change it's location in Preferences > Interface > Interface > Message window.

Blue Steel AU
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 22:57
need something like BFXR, a way to generate and play sounds in game without having to load sound files, eg:
Play Sound(tone,volume,duration, wave form, adsr, attack, decay , etc)

I've been looking for something like this in a programming language for years

like we used to be able to do on the old C64

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 23:36
Blue Steel - Mobile devices are not really up to it, and certainly not using a byte-code system. And actually, people expect something that sounds better than what the C64 could produce!

Multicoder
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2014 00:04
Digital Awakening:
Damn! How could I entirely miss this all the times I was in the preferences menu? There is even a checkbox to disable the autohide! Thank you SOOO much!

Nice to have would be:
- mark text, cut, copy and paste for input fields created with StartTextInput() or CreateEditBox().

- some kind of collaboration tool / option. Regarding steam it would be cool if we could "invite" friends to a coding session using steams "invite to game" mechanics.

- Scribble saved and loaded for each project separately, so every project could have it's own notes.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2014 04:02
Quote: "Mobile devices are not really up to it"

Really? You mean not up to generating realtime sound? I don't see why not.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't remember if this is in here somewhere, but function overloading would be absolutely fantastic.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2014 07:13
Quote: "I can't remember if this is in here somewhere, but function overloading would be absolutely fantastic."

Ah yes, a brilliant suggestion!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2014 09:29
Overloading would be great +1
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 14:54 Edited at: 30th Nov 2014 20:35
TGC proudly state \"code your game once and then deploy your game to multiple platforms\", but haven\'t really made this part simple.
Broadcasting/deployment needs a lot more simplification if they want to attract new users..
Because of AppGameKit evolvement, this part needs a whole new set of instruction/guide details, or a new thread for todays setup, but ideally the process needs to be integrated in to the editor.
Error details experienced by others, together with methods to correct are too spread out over thread(s) so are not of really much help. This is an important area, not getting very much attention.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 15:15 Edited at: 26th Nov 2014 15:16
@Juney...

Quote: " but ideally the process needs to be integrated in to the editor."

It is... Assuming you have AppGameKit v2 and are using Tier 1, you can export an APK or an IPA directly from the IDE...

I used this feature (for Android) only yesterday and have successfully loaded an app to the Play Store.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 15:41
@Funnel : IPA is only available if you compil with a mac, not windows .

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 15:50 Edited at: 26th Nov 2014 15:52
Quote: "@Funnel : IPA is only available if you compil with a mac, not windows ."

Correct... But isn't the IDE available on Mac? Juney made no reference to whether he/she was using Windows or a Mac (and neither did I) So my statement is still correct
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 18:03 Edited at: 26th Nov 2014 18:04
It's only possible to create an IPA on a mac. That is an Apple requirement for any development platform. Anyone developing for iOS has that bridge to cross and AppGameKit still makes it very simple in the new editor (on Mac)
Nelvin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's only possible to create an IPA on a mac. That is an Apple requirement for any development platform. Anyone developing for iOS has that bridge to cross and AppGameKit still makes it very simple in the new editor (on Mac)"

Maybe you shouuld tell this the guys from Ideaworks/Madewithmarmalade.com - because with their SDK you can create and sign iOS binaries on Windows (and what's even more impressive, with native C++ code).
But that's just meant as an information that it actually is possible - their SDK has a very different scope compared to AppGameKit and I'm happy both exist.
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 19:28
Resolution Support List-
Same as in DarkGDK you can ask the machine for a list of supported resolutions this is obviously for pc and mac apps.

Sprite Vertices Configuration
so that we could create a sprite but could change its vertices.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 19:47
So you get a resolution support list (which is easy in T2) what are you going to do with it? If you are using DirectX it tells you what virtual scaling to use depending on the display capabilities.

Are you going to change the actual display? This is nowadays regarded as fairly hostile.

Knowing what the CURRENT setting is, however, can tell you your best bet is for setting the the virtual display.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 23:30
Quote: "Are you going to change the actual display? This is nowadays regarded as fairly hostile."

How do you mean?

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 23:51
I mean that altering the computer's display unless you do it in a managed way as DirectX does is nasty. But then you can't do that in T1 anyway, I guess.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 00:11
Quote: "I mean that altering the computer's display unless you do it in a managed way as DirectX does is nasty."

I clearly lack experience in this area as I have no idea what you mean.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 01:10 Edited at: 27th Nov 2014 01:11
We can't check if 2 UDTs are the exact same object that's disappointing. Ought to be a feature

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 01:11
@Nelvin & Juney
iOS is not possible without a Mac to access the keychain for signing the app. Marmalade can make test IPAs under Windows, but you can't distribute those IPAs on the App Store without a Mac:
Quote: "Do I need a Mac to build, deploy and submit iOS apps?
You can fully build, deploy and install standard Marmalade apps for iOS using a Windows PC, with no need for a Mac. This includes all stages of app signing for both development and app store submission (generating certificate requests, obtaining certificates/profiles, signing apps). However, a Mac is currently required to upload final app builds to the App Store due to the store's dependency on the Mac App Loader. A Mac is also required if you want to *build* EDK extensions for iOS. Note that a Mac is not required if you simply wish to include pre-compiled EDK extension libraries for iOS."

https://developer.madewithmarmalade.com/find-answers/faqs

AGK's new IDE packs everything up quite well, but to do final signing of an iOS or Mac app you need a Mac. Similar goes for Windows 8 / Windows store... you need Windows 8 to sign the app (though less people care because Windows apps are available via many channels).

@Clonkex, Jim & Haliop
A resolution list would be awesome. I'm not sure what Jim is talking about. Every game I've ever played on Windows has the ability to use multiple resolutions both in full screen and Windowed mode. If this is considered "hostile" the gaming industry disagrees. It doesn't seem to actually change the monitor resolution, but just the app's. I, for one, would not want to publish a Windows game without the ability to allow users to select the game's resolution. It's not cool to download an awesome game that only runs at 16x9 when your screen is 16x10 and it equally stinks when your CPU/GPU can't handle the game at a certain resolution. Users NEED to be able to alter this.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 01:33
Quote: "It doesn't seem to actually change the monitor resolution, but just the app's."

Actually most PC games DO change the monitor res, since most PC games run in fullscreen exclusive mode (which they do because it's the fastest mode). If you run in a window, however, it does only change the program's resolution.

Quote: "I, for one, would not want to publish a Windows game without the ability to allow users to select the game's resolution. ... Users NEED to be able to alter this."

Indeed!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 02:12 Edited at: 27th Nov 2014 04:37
I broke AppGameKit today it seems that passing a reference through a bunch of arrays then attempting to access a UDT's UDT array of UDTs (which came from an array of UDTs originally) crashes AppGameKit It reminded me though, I'd really like to see references available in every place possible (not just functions). They're immensely useful. When they work of course
Edit: Hold on, apparently the reference keyword was keeping errors from being reported. AppGameKit was crashing instead of reporting an array bounds error. (it's an impossible error though... something else must be wrong) This should probably go in a bug report somewhere but hey I had already mentioned it here

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 11:16
Offering different screen resolutions is obviously PC or Mac only. In windowed mode you can have anything you like that is <= the display width and height, so long as AppGameKit lets you set the window size, which it does. Since you can get the max width and height, and the aspect ratio it should be easy to provide a list and adjust the virtual resolution accordingly.

In full-screen mode AppGameKit uses the screen resolution, so you can scale accordingly.

Or am I missing the point?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 12:16
Quote: "Offering different screen resolutions is obviously PC or Mac only. In windowed mode you can have anything you like that is <= the display width and height, so long as AppGameKit lets you set the window size, which it does. Since you can get the max width and height, and the aspect ratio it should be easy to provide a list and adjust the virtual resolution accordingly.

In full-screen mode AppGameKit uses the screen resolution, so you can scale accordingly.

Or am I missing the point?"

On PC (I can't speak for Mac), any game will let you select a resolution from all the fullscreen resolutions your system supports. So say you have a 1080p monitor and you're playing BF4. Also say it's not running well and you want to lower the resolution; your system will almost certainly also support 720p, so you select that. You can now play at a much higher FPS, and because 720p is the exact same aspect ratio as 1080p you don't have distortions.

The point is that in any PC game you have the option of choosing from any supported resolution rather than being limited to the screen's current res.

Beo6
Years of Service
User Offline
Another option could be to only change the render target resolution.

First this would also make using the Occulus Rift usable in the future and also i have seen this in other games. Newest example where i have seen such an option is Dragon Age: Inquisition where you can change the render target resolution instead of the display resolution.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 13:56
Clonkex - I do know how to iterate DEVICE_CAPS etc - but the situation is slightly more complicated than you suggest, because the refresh rate has to be taken into account, among other things.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417025%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

What's relevant here to AppGameKit is being able to resize the back and front buffers. I think Paul took care of this.

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 14:05
The DrawLine / box / elipse commands are NOT scaled, and appear as ultra thin lines with their coordinates often randomly placed, if you run the app in a higher resolution that you designed it for.. they are useless for anything else than drawing on an image, and grabbed as a sprite that scales.

The text and sprites are also scaled without becoming blocky, and this produces a horrible look... I wish you could make a game for low res, and it would just scale on higher res, without the pixels getting smoothed out.

Using the percentage system is only for the clinically insane coders...

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 14:09
@Impetus - You want magnified sprites to stay blocky? Use SetImageMagFilter(img,0) on it
And % is for insane? Now I have an excuse muahahaha!

@Jim - I see your point about scaling. I have to think about that! Now if AppGameKit would just not stretch on window maximize

Nelvin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Nelvin & Juney
iOS is not possible without a Mac to access the keychain for signing the app. Marmalade can make test IPAs under Windows, but you can't distribute those IPAs on the App Store without a Mac:"

Seriously ... you quote the text that exactly tells you that you CAN do this but you didn't even read those 4 lines of text??

You only need a Mac to upload a final build (which CAN be build and signed on Windows) to the store but that's something very different and a situation where you, for sure, could use a rented Mac in the cloud every once in a while. But your day to day development can be done completely on Windows.

In the end I don't really mind, I own a license for all targets on Marmalade as well as a Mac and AppGameKit 2 and Monkey and much more It was just meant as an information to show that it actually is possible and, IMO it's a great feature. But given Visual Studio 2015 seems to add support for Android and iOS development too, this might enable TGC an easy way to support iOS builds in later version/updates too.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2014 01:37
Quote: "Clonkex - I do know how to iterate DEVICE_CAPS etc - but the situation is slightly more complicated than you suggest, because the refresh rate has to be taken into account, among other things."

I think we're both missing each other's points and I for one have completely forgotten what I was originally pointing out. *facepalm* I'm just going to drop it because I have no idea what I'm arguing for

Quote: "I see your point about scaling."

You do?? I don't even remember what MY point was...

Quote: "You only need a Mac to upload a final build (which CAN be build and signed on Windows) to the store but that's something very different and a situation where you, for sure, could use a rented Mac in the cloud every once in a while. But your day to day development can be done completely on Windows."

You are of course correct, and I'm sure TGC will take your suggestion under advisement, but getting it signed automatically on Windows is fairly fiddly and complicated AFAIK, so we may never see that happen. Still, they got Android working from the IDE, so who knows?

paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2014 04:14
Types with functions would be a huge step. You could do it without too much syntactical/compiler changes by something like the ideas below. All it ends up being is a syntactic rewrite of a function call, if you don't use subclasses. Obviously the compiler needs to know what the type is of the object it is acting on but it must know that anyway.

this would give you a very simple OOP system. Then you have subclassing, which could be done via types within types messily.

What you don't have is any virtual functions/polymorphism type stuff. This may not even be possible in the bytecode which looks to be entirely static in nature. A basic (ahem) question is can the system do call func$(a,b,c) ?

And regular expressions would be nice. Maybe not bother with the whole lot - lua has a simplified version which works for most code requirements.

I would think it's part of the lua library code (e.g. it's written in C) so you might just be able to use it as it is with a bit of tweaking. lua is designed to be embedded in other programs without doing the license-virus thing that O/S code often does. Could be new facilities for pretty much no work - pass it two strings and an array of strings for the return groups and return a "boolean".
Multicoder
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2014 13:09
+1 for lua support.

With lua support given I could finally make my dream of a spaceship game where you can program the engine, weapons, shields, etc by yourself come true

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2014 16:01
Multicoder, why would that not be possible without lua?
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2014 19:14
I've been calling for Lua for years, to no avail. It would massively improve the power of T1 and T2.

paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2014 20:36
I really meant just pinching the lua pattern matching library. I think TGC want to stick with BASIC rather than lua.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
VS2013 support for T2, since now VS2013 is free so might as well drop support for older versions and just make VS2013 libs
Multicoder
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2014 23:52
baxslash, I don't want to invent an own scripting language and write an interpreter for it.
I would love to use an existing language that "everyone" knows. If there are other languages which can be "injected" into a game made with agk T1, please let me know
Mod support would also be easier to do.

Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2014 14:30 Edited at: 29th Nov 2014 17:03
I'd like to see some improvements to the EditBox.

First, The SetEditBoxFontImage command needs an overhaul. From what I can see, it's not possible to specify character spacing, etc. of the font in the EditBox.

Second, when running on a PC/mac with a keyboard, the EditBox should behave more like standard OS edit controls:

- select text by dragging
- select a word by double-clicking
- select all (ctrl+A)
- overtype
- copy/cut and paste

These features could be switched off and on in code.

BTW, I am LOVING alpha 9. Very nice work.

Thanks,

James
sovr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2014 23:48
It would be cool to have the C# .dll lib to be updated along with the AppGameKit 2.0 so people with .NET can use AGK. I could use this in many different ways! since C# is easier then C++, but yet is not the BASIC coding with AppGameKit, there are many possibilities with ease.

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ParkersApps
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsovr
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2014 02:07
@bjadams
Quote: "VS2013 support for T2, since now VS2013 is free so might as well drop support for older versions and just make VS2013 libs"

This is already in the Steam version, and will be coming to non-Steam soon (I guess with the next update.)
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2014 19:57
@ Naphier,

Sooooo. Where are we with this....?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2014 20:00
Busy. Not sure of AGK's stance on the whole thing.
Does it really matter? I don't think Paul will have a chance to consider this stuff until they're out of alpha.
So why not just leave it open until then?

Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 18:57
I want to be able to specify port for HTTP connection.

error #1:
"too many stars, too many stares. disembody."
WIP: MIND!! | free fonts for your AGKs

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:11:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:11:19