Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TGC Heroes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 23:54 Edited at: 24th Jul 2010 15:59
That is a nice idea, but bear in mind that the characters in TGCH have a fair amount of animations (over 20). Also, the animation frames have to be assigned to a particular keyboard/joystick action.

In addition, the models will need to be rotated and scaled correctly in order to work properly in the game. Also, each character has an UberPwnage move, which typically includes additional models and code in order to work.

With all this in mind, most people would not want to go through the hassle it would take to get their character model in-game. From our end, there are other things that need to be worked on before the code for loading user models and assigning keyboard/joystick actions could be put in.

I can do this for you....If you have a really cool model that would be a good addition to this game, post it (with a list of the animation frames) on the TGC Heroes forum (see the first page of this thread) and we will consider it for addition into the game (if you haven't made it yet, you should post a render once you get the model made). You will find our attack animation list under Characters/Character Animations on our site. Additionally, you'll need anims for: walk, jump, duck, damage taken, recoil (knocked to the ground) and taunt. The model and animations must be 100% done or it will not be accepted. Anyone that contributes models to the game will receive credit for their contribution(s).

LBFN

So many games to code.......so little time.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 01:17
LBFN, I just saw your email and am going to get all the textures together for you. Sorry for such a late response!

It's been a long time since I've been on here *sigh*

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 01:50 Edited at: 21st Jun 2010 16:42
Hi Dr Manette, nice to hear from you!

Yeah, other than the fountain textures, there is not much needed to finish the Revenge arena model itself. What would you think about it if I put in a couple of platforms? I was thinking that they could either be moving back and forth or perhaps appear/disappear on a regular basis. You can let me know here or email me.

I hope things are going well at BioFox Games.

LB

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 04:57
Just sent the textures to you, once again I apologize for my lateness.

BioFox Games has been on hiatus since late spring, mostly because we've had to work on college applications, senior course work, jobs, ect. If all goes as planned, we'll be pulling our act together to finish World Order and Revenge 2.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 03:57 Edited at: 21st Jun 2010 16:42
Our latest arena to be added to TGC Heroes is the Castle of Chaos. The original model and idea was provided by TheComet. Here is a link to his game, Kirby Smash:
http://the-comet-kirbysmash.blogspot.com/

Here is a pic of the arena in-game:

LB

Attachments

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 16:59
Yay, TGC Heroes didn't die.
Me and Joe thought it did.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 23:08
Very cool!

I'd say put in a better render of the castle background, though, it's kind of distractingly pixelated atm

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 02:07
Or just blur the image so it doesn't detract the player's focus from the gameplay as much. (Because the detail (which the player's eye focuses on) will be on the players and the map.)
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 04:13
Quote: "Yay, TGC Heroes didn't die."

Hey COwbox. Yeah, sorry, we've had some difficulties to overcome, but are still plugging away. The team has been significantly reduced and real world work schedules have cut into game making time, so things are taking even longer to get done. I really want to finish this game and I hesitate to release anything that is half-baked.

Quote: "I'd say put in a better render of the castle background, though"

Quote: "Or just blur the image so it doesn't detract the player's focus from the gameplay as much."

I will blur the image and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the comments and advice,

LB

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 11:49 Edited at: 7th Nov 2008 11:50
Quote: "I really want to finish this game and I hesitate to release anything that is half-baked."

GLaD to hear it.

Quote: "I will blur the image and see how it turns out."

Failing that, you could always try modeling the castle in the background and making it part of the map or something. xD
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2008 13:14
I wish you guys the best in completing this project. I've moved away from DB now and am programming something similar to darkSMASH under C++ and GLFW using Code::Blocks but your project will always have the community feel.

I'm certainly looking forward to booting it.

Oh, and one last thing; I think the lighting could do with just a little tweak. It's a touch flat. Perhaps you could use DBP's built in shadow system?

Should I continue coding or focus on my art? Vote here:
http://www.polldaddy.com/p/953461/
NeX, the creator of a billion failed projects.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2008 18:25
Hi NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret

Quote: "I wish you guys the best in completing this project."

Thanks much

Quote: "I've moved away from DB now and am programming something similar to darkSMASH under C++ and GLFW using Code::Blocks "

I always thought DarkSMASH had impressive physics capability. Good luck with the new project.

Quote: "I think the lighting could do with just a little tweak. It's a touch flat. Perhaps you could use DBP's built in shadow system?"

Thanks for the feedback. Shadowing is on my 'to-do' list.....however, my 'to-do' list is pretty long (hehe). I'm currently working on four arenas, three of which will likely make it into TGC Heroes. I am also working on a loading sequence to keep gamers occupied while the game loads/runs (about 45 seconds currently).

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 00:36
45 seconds? That's pretty long. I guess most of it is loading the models and all their animations, right?

Should I continue coding or focus on my art? Vote here:
http://www.polldaddy.com/p/953461/
NeX, the creator of a billion failed projects.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 02:19
Yeah, I know, 45 seconds is pretty long for that. We literally have hundreds of files to load, counting all of the object, texture and sound/music files. A loading screen that gives people something to look at in the mean time seemed like the way to go.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 03:10
@ LBFN
I don't mean to intrude on the mechanics of the game, but surely you can cut down on the load times by splitting it, the way a published game would.

You'd have a loading screen right at the start, before the main menu, to load all the sounds, textures and music etc.

Then when you go into the game, you'd have another one for loading the objects and specifically in-game data.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 03:35
@ COwbox
What you describe is exactly what is planned, I just have not put together the loading screen yet. (I want to load some animated models first that will be playing while the remaining files are loaded.)

During development, I have just been bypassing the menu, options, arena selection and character selection screens normally so that I can just go right into the game with a predetermined arena and characters.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 20:24 Edited at: 9th Nov 2008 20:25
Glad to see this project alive! When do you plan to release a demo?

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 21:35
Hey zzz

Actually, the demo was planned to be done already. However, there were some things that we had to do before it was (or is) released.
The gameplay and camera movement needed improvement and we are probably 95% there now. I want to add at least three more arenas, and bring our total to 9 or more. I would like to add two more characters (we have 12 right now), but if time won't allow us to, the game is still fun with the characters we have.

While I hesitate to set a firm date, my sincere hope is to make a new in-game video this month and release the game late next month before the end of the year.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 17:31
I have one character if you plan to put one more in the game .
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 01:42 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2008 19:05
Alfa x:

We would be very interested in your human collector from your WIP if it is available. If you had something else in mind, let me know. Regardless, thanks for the offer.

LBFN

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 18:34
LBFN:

I have a .x file here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=137252&b=1

This works for you?
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2008 19:22
Alfa x
Yes, that works fine. I'm a little surprised that you put a model of that quality up for free on the forum like that. Thanks much

Of course, you will be credited for your contribution to TGC Heroes. Would you like for us to refer to the character as the 'Human Collector' in the game? If you have something else in mind let me know.

Thanks again
LB

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 17:39
@ LBFN: It's not free . It's free for TGC Heroes.

But I think if you want help, you need to put something,that's why i put the model . and I was helped indeed.

Human collector is good. Or it can be UA Human Collector. (UA for ultimate apocalypse)

Thanks to you for including it in your game.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 11:55
Quote: "@ LBFN: It's not free . It's free for TGC Heroes."

I see....well, thank you much. It really is outstanding work. UA Human Collector it is. We will mention Ultimate Apocalypse in the credits also.

Since characters in TGC Heroes have so many animated moves, with some being very specialized, I am re-rigging the model currently. Once it and the animations are done (it will be a few days), I will try to get you an in-game screen shot of the model in action.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 15:32
Ok.
That will be excellent.

If you see we had various moves that may come in handy for you .

Thanks for appreciating our work, I appreciate yours too.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 15:41
The rigging and animations for the UA Human Collector (UAHC) are complete and it is installed as a selectable character in TGC Heroes. I have captured a couple of pics of it in action:

UAHC is a fun character to play the game with! Thanks again.

LB

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 15:57
Thats real nice!. I enjoy very much seeing that pics!.

Thanks for putting it in this game

P.S: Try using fastbone shader to improve your objects quality. It really makes the difference.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 15:58
!!!

I love seeing John in the screenshots, hehe, it makes me more proud than actually making the games in the first place.

(Although John isn't in any upcoming Soharix games, he has significantly improved in quality in an "almost" game I started called John's Adventure, a screenshot of what John now actually looks like is attatched. (Made in the Vision engine))

Attachments

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 17:14
Quote: "P.S: Try using fastbone shader to improve your objects quality. It really makes the difference. "

I'm sure I missed something somewhere, but I haven't heard of the fastbone shader. Do you have a link to it? I am interested in checking it out.

Quote: "(Although John isn't in any upcoming Soharix games, he has significantly improved in quality in an "almost" game I started called John's Adventure, a screenshot of what John now actually looks like is attatched."

C0wbox:
If you would like us to use the new version of John in the game we certainly would consider that. The only concern I have at all is that he bears at least some resemblance to the character Kel (from Dream). Anyway, if you want to move forward with it, just email me the model and texture(s) and indicate the game info and I will see what can be done.

LB

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 22:06
@ LBFN
Na don't worry, the new John doesn't look as recognisable as the original, seeing as the original was actually in 2 games, the new one isn't in any.

I also think John's moves fit with his current style; it would kinda spoil some of them if he was just an ordinary tubby guy.
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 23:36
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=127395&b=1

It not works for all models. Take a look in my thread in the other link i gave you.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 18:00
Alfa x

Thanks for the link. I tried it with TGC Heroes. It basically made the models appear slightly darker and in the case of the UA Human Collector, the top half of the model was separated from the bottom half. From the thread you linked to, it seems more of a speed-enhancing effect than anything else.

Thanks again, but I will probably keep looking around to see what will work best.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 23:26
The fastbone is an speed enhancing plus lighting to the object, so it looks better and works faster when it has animations.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 01:54
Everything looks great! Still, my only concern is the ability to see whats going on. It's still a bit messy atm

To fix this, you simply have to make the level more visible from the background, and make the players more visible from the level.

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 21:10
Quote: "Everything looks great!"
Thanks much!

Quote: "Still, my only concern is the ability to see whats going on. It's still a bit messy atm "

Messy? I assume you are referring to the Castle of Chaos pic and that this is not a general comment. I will work to enhance things as you have suggested to make things easier to see.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
How's my little tennis ball character doing? He's an item delivery guy or something, isn't he? I can't remember

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 15:39
Quote: "Messy? I assume you are referring to the Castle of Chaos pic and that this is not a general comment. I will work to enhance things as you have suggested to make things easier to see."

What? my level is messy?

Peachy, and the Chaos of the Gems

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 16:23
Agent Dink:

I'm sorry, I had forgotten all about the little guy (we simply named him Dink btw). I was going to have it be what I would call an 'ankle-biter' (more of an annoyance that does only minor damage to competitors) in Monster Mode of TGC Heroes. We've decided that it will be necessary to include Monster Mode in future updated versions of TGC Heroes, and that it will not be part of the current final build.

Anyway, I could have it deliver items. Right now, they simply fall from the sky. We decided against the idea of making it a full-blown character because our current character, Nutt, is very similar in size and shape. I will see what I can do and let you know. Thanks for reminding me.

Here is a pic of the model as rendered by Milkshape:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=t4nozmcnhoi&thumb=6

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 01:51
Aww...

Texture a bit grainy though, and the eyes could be scaled down a mite.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Hahahahaha, I love the model. Eh, if you can't work it in it's no big deal, but it would be cool if you did.

Don't alter the game for him though haha. It's looking really promising so far though, btw.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 14:45
Quote: "the eyes could be scaled down a mite."

If you look at Agent Dink's avatar, the eyes are bugged out like that. I tried to make it as close as I could to what I saw.

Quote: "Hahahahaha, I love the model. "

Glad to hear it.

Quote: "Eh, if you can't work it in it's no big deal, but it would be cool if you did. Don't alter the game for him though haha."

I certainly would like to work it in and have already put together a plan to make the item-delivery happen. I suppose that I could also make it a projectile that one of the characters throws (that would be a lot easier to implement). Anyway, I'll do my best to get it in.

Quote: "It's looking really promising so far though, btw."

Thanks again.

LB

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, that would be great if he were a throwable item

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 00:38 Edited at: 29th Mar 2009 21:32
Here is a pic of an arena that was originally just going to be part of the intro, but now will be included in the TGC Heroes game itself:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=wrldk2iqyne&thumb=6

Agent Dink:
Okay, a projectile he will be.

LB

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 16:05 Edited at: 12th Dec 2008 16:11
It has been more than a year since I have posted on TGC, and I come back to see so many things have changed and so much progress on some of these projects.

I am surprised and pleased to see that you are still working on this. It looks great.

-Edit
I had to edit my post to update my sig. I didn't realize I had been making fun of JSG for the past year while I was away

One day you will fight the fine fight.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 17:51
Honestly, it really is LBFN who is carrying the weight of this project on his shoulders. I'm nothing short of amazed by his determination to get this project completed, even though the rest of the team has either left without any warning or had to leave due to other factors. As far as I'm concerned, he's an example to a lot of folks around here, including myself, lol.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 03:47 Edited at: 29th Mar 2009 21:33
Quote: "I am surprised and pleased to see that you are still working on this. It looks great."

Thanks much We have definitely had our struggles and difficulties to overcome, but we're still here. Glad you are back at TGC.

Tha_rami: greets.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 04:25
Sorry to hi-jack, but welcome back Alquerian. Would be nice to see you on MSN sometime

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 12:26
<Cowbox agrees with Xenocythe.> :
Good to know you're around TGC again.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 17:58 Edited at: 29th Mar 2009 21:49
TGC Heroes is very pleased to present our newest arena, Pirates of Port Royale:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=jomye1jjzzi&thumb=6

Many thanks to Gil Galvanti for his WIP and for contributing this awesome arena to TGC Heroes. This arena is a great addition to our game and we are thrilled to have it in place.

LBFN

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2008 02:37 Edited at: 29th Mar 2009 22:05
We are working on another arena called Crazyland Park. Here is an in-game pic:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=v5y2zudow4i&thumb=6

We attempted to make models of a roller coaster and such in the background, but the poly count for the arena was too high to allow for a decent framerate. (The ferris wheel rotates continually and the players can stand / battle on top of the 'pods'. It takes a fair amount of processor time to get this done.)

Anyway, we are hoping the TGC community can help us with finding a suitable background for this arena so that we can complete it and add it to the game.

LB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 11:15:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 11:15:19