Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TGC Heroes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 10:41
Sure!

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 17:06 Edited at: 24th Nov 2010 15:49
Alright, sounds good. Like I said, it will probably be late December before v 0.80 is done. Before then I will need an email address for you so that I can send you the link for the .exe file. Please send me an email to let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help,

LB

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2009 03:09
Quote: "I'm just throwing an idea out here, but maybe that's because you haven't shown us much lately? I know I'd be more interested if there were some new screens to look at, especially if they were move vibrant than the older ones. I mean the last time there was an image was in January, so of course interest may be lacking.
"

Id like to see a video of the level with my song in it!!! If ya can! oh and, could ya post some screenies? i agree it would build up the interest.

Just a nub trying to figure it out ^_^
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2009 04:26 Edited at: 24th Nov 2010 15:50
Sure, I can make a vid of the action in the arena that will have your song in it. However, it will be a little while before I can get to it though, so bear with me for a while.

I do plan to start posting some screenies as soon as I get back on TGC Heroes full-time.

LB

Attachments

Jade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2009 19:43
Ok! Sweet

Just a nub trying to figure it out ^_^
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 06:57 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 06:58
Alrighty, I am back to working on TGC Heroes. I am currently re-vamping the character selection menu, as I am working to make it look more SSB-ish. The old menu was nice, but I thought this one would work better for the game.
Here is a pic of the old character selection menu:
[img]http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=mnjyyj0mxxi&thumb=6[/img]

Here is a pic of what I have done so far on the new one:
[img]http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=h0cggdzm2zm&thumb=6[/img]

The new menu allows for choosing the number of players as well as which characters will be used. It also allows for choosing Combat mode or KO mode and will allow the user to choose the length of KO mode games. As the mouse moves the hand/button over the different characters, it's pic is displayed below and a brief description of the character and some of their moves are listed.

LB

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 08:50
I am so glad to see that this is continuing! And even more glad to see Tikatta and Drew are still in there!

It's funny to see I still remember the day I got that cheeseburger picture off google with all my high school friends making the early early demo before I even made that original post. My friend's nickname was cheeseburger XD

Did you guys ever get that whole a*******n problem sorted out?
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 17:06
I like the new character screen! Glad you've decided to keep working

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 17:37
Very nice.

Congrats.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 05:35
Crazy, BMacZero and Alfa X:
Thanks for your interest! I appreciate the comments!

Quote: "I am so glad to see that this is continuing! And even more glad to see Tikatta and Drew are still in there!"

Drew seems like one of the cornerstone characters of this game. It just wouldn't be TGC Heroes without him. Tikatta is really a cool fighter - he has more moves (and stuff) than any of the others. He can stick out his tongue, grab an opponent with it and turn them into an egg (for a couple of seconds). His D & up move will toss an egg in the air that explodes - the 'shrapnel' from the egg does damage to any opponent it touches. On top of this, he can breathe fire! His uber move is lame, but that was on purpose, otherwise he would be almost unbeatable. I plan to make a vid highlighting Tikatta soon.

Quote: "Did you guys ever get that whole a*******n problem sorted out?"

Yes, we did. Actually, it's okay to say "animation" now. When we lost our team member that could animate, the only alternative was to learn how to animate myself, which I did. I've done all of the animations except for Kel; Jerok completed most all of his.

LBFN

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 06:40
I really like the new character selection screen! It looks more polished than the last one.

"If you want lots of people to play your game make it simple; lots of people are simple." -Obese87
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 06:52
That's great! I cant wait to see the video! Congrats on learning to animate. What program you doing it with?
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 02:26
Thanks Yodaman Jer!

Quote: "That's great! I cant wait to see the video! Congrats on learning to animate. What program you doing it with?"

Thanks Crazy. I bought Milkshape and learned to model and animate with it. I remember that I didn't want to have to do that, but now I am real glad that I did.

I hope to have vid out featuring Tikatta (and Jade's song) either late this week or next week.

Best,

LBFN

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 11:53
Milkshape is great. Not too bad to animate with. Except I'm spoiled with ik's and whatnot so I'm to lazy for the forward kinematics of ms XD What kills me about milkshape though is the rigging aspect, especially only being able to select verts in orthographic views. For that, I applaud you.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 20:35
I've been using Blender for my 3D modeling, but the animation tools are a huge hassle to use. I know that's slightly off-subject, but Milkshape sounds pretty good to use! Maybe I'll look into getting it...

Anyway, LBFN, is there any time that you think you can release a demo? I'm really wanting to test this thing out!

Click to go to our website!
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 04:02 Edited at: 4th Jun 2009 07:50
Quote: "What kills me about milkshape though is the rigging aspect, especially only being able to select verts in orthographic views. For that, I applaud you. "

Thanks. Yeah, the rigging took a little getting used to, but I've got it down pat now and I can rig a model relatively quickly now. The best thing I like about Milkshape is the ease of making animations once things are set up.

Quote: "I've been using Blender for my 3D modeling, but the animation tools are a huge hassle to use. I know that's slightly off-subject, but Milkshape sounds pretty good to use! Maybe I'll look into getting it..."

I looked at Blender myself, but I saw where I would have to invest more time than I wanted in order to learn it. To me, Milkshape was easy to learn, though I was disappointed in some of the tutorials for it. If you decide to get it (I think it is $35 US now) you could email me with any questions you have and I will do my best to help you. I especially understand how to export .x files to DBP, which is tricky until you know how.

Quote: "Anyway, LBFN, is there any time that you think you can release a demo? I'm really wanting to test this thing out!"

First off, I would say that I am lousy at predicting dates for stuff. Also, I don't think I am going to go with a limited production demo, but am planning on releasing the entire game at one time. My best guess is that I have 2 - 3 weeks of work left to do before I put the game out to the testers (Beast E., Tha_Rami and NeX the FFF). I figure a week to 10 days after that to make final adjustments and away we go. This schedule assumes that no problem comes up that takes a lot of time and effort to figure out.

LBFN

*** EDIT ***: Ben Prager: If the Dream world arena is to be included in the final TGC Heroes, I will need the updated version ASAP. I have the old version, but it would not be representative of where Dream is at now. Please let me know.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 06:51
Quote: "First off, I would say that I am lousy at predicting dates for stuff. Also, I don't think I am going to go with a limited production demo, but am planning on releasing the entire game at one time. My best guess is that I have 2 - 3 weeks of work left to do before I put the game out to the testers (Beast E., Tha_Rami and NeX the FFF). I figure a week to 10 days after that to make final adjustments and away we go. This schedule assumes that no problem comes up that takes a lot of time and effort to figure out."

so soon

Congrats!
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 07:15
Yes, we are hoping for a soon release of TGC Heroes. I hope everyone enjoys it once released because some of the items really can't display the amount of time invested in making them easily accesible to work properly in the game. Thanks.

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3D hack N slash http://lastswordsmen.freezoka.com
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 18:29
Quote: "so soon"

I've decided that rather than trying to get everything and the kitchen sink into TGC Heroes that it would be better to make a short list of what is going to be included and leave the rest out. I figure that if the game goes over well, I can make adjustments and stuff as necessary, or perhaps even a TGC Heroes 2

Still, even with this in mind, there is a lot to get done in 3 weeks. BTW, the human collector is an awesome character! If I had time (I don't think I will), it would be cool to see a vid of it in action.

LBFN

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 00:25 Edited at: 8th Jun 2009 16:49
I have done some work to include Stickman from Stick Suicide in TGC Heroes. Thanks to Valle and Butterfingers(AK47).

First pic, Stickman has just whacked Nutt:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=znnyzengoyz&thumb=6
Second pic, Stickman has just smacked Drew:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=yjgtyrdzmy0&thumb=6
I still have some things to do to complete Stickman as a character (anybody got a bazooka laying around?), but it is selectable from the menu and playable in-game.

LBFN

So many games to code......so little time.
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 01:36
Lookin' GRRRRRRRRR-EAT!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 03:45
Ah Stick Suicide...great game. I would have tried to make him flatter (like Game&Watch in a way), but this works fairly well too.

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 03:58
Looks good so far! May I ask what your using to animate?

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 06:46
The Crazy and DB Programmer: Thanks

Quote: "I would have tried to make him flatter (like Game&Watch in a way), but this works fairly well too."

I made it a little thicker on purpose, because on some of the screens players would likely have difficulty seeing what Stickman is doing.

I personally think the Stickman animations are funny. With one, he takes his head off and throws it like a frisbee at his opponents. His taunt has him turning to the camera, holding both arms up and rolling his head back and forth along his arms between his hands. One other move has him dribbling his head like a basketball and shooting it like a free-throw! I don't know how much damage it will do, but it sure is funny to look at.

Quote: "May I ask what your using to animate?"

Sure, I use Milkshape to rig and animate models. This one took around five hours from start to finish (we have 26 separate animations for each character).

LB

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 06:47
Hehe. Can't wait to see those!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 14:06
Hey thanks for the credit, but I'm not sure that the AK is mine! If it's the one I gave away free to the FPSC community, then it was part of a free Xmas giveaway by TGC, I simply converted it into FPSC ready format! I can't take any credit for the modelling, or texturing!

It's looking cool though!

I want robotic legs.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 16:55
Doh!!

Thanks Butterfingers, you are correct. I saw your thread in FPSC that showed a free AK47 and knowing your reputation I didn't look too close. I have edited the pics and will give TGC credit for it (I still left credit for you because you provided the download).

Thanks again,

LB

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 21:00
I made a quick vid of Tikatta vs. Kez:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs6rOpWBBs0&feature=channel_page

Since I am concentrating on getting the game ready, I did not spend a lot of time making this, so the quality is not the greatest.

LB

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 22:59
Looks good!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 00:20
Quote: "Since I am concentrating on getting the game ready, I did not spend a lot of time making this, so the quality is not the greatest. "

All good!

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 01:20
Did you ever get a bazooka? I'd be willing to try and make one if not.

This is the current quality of my work.(Look at the last picture, not the one on the first post)

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 02:16 Edited at: 10th Jun 2009 02:17
NeX and Bmac: Thanks

DB PROgrammer:
Actually, I still need a bazooka for Stickman. Can you make a 3D version of the one in Stick Suicide? Nice work on the amp btw (I used to have one like that. )

LB

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 03:17
Thanks! Is this the bazooka? How would you want it to look?

Attachments

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 15:25 Edited at: 10th Jun 2009 15:26
@LBFN:

Nice work.

Some comments to improve the quality of the game.

The speed should be a little faster and I think it needs a gravity adjust. It seems (for me), like i was watching some things of the video in slow cam.

Have you thought in having game controllers for the game

Cheers.

AlfaX
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 17:01 Edited at: 10th Jun 2009 17:02
DB PROgrammer:
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the bazooka from Stick Suicide2. I have attached a copy of it to this post.

Quote: "Nice work."

Thanks
Quote: "Some comments to improve the quality of the game.

The speed should be a little faster and I think it needs a gravity adjust. It seems (for me), like i was watching some things of the video in slow cam."

The vid was recorded using fraps and is slightly slower than the actual game speed. Do you refer to the speed of the animations or to the movement of the characters themselves? I purposely have slowed the animations so that you can see the moves as they are being made, but if I need to speed it up, that is easy to do. If you are talking game speed, the game moves pretty quickly with two characters (60 FPS or so) and is more intense than SSB IMO. With four characters, it currently runs about 43 - 45 FPS on my computer (3.4 GHz single core w/Radeon X600) and about 27 FPS on my laptop. I am looking for speed increases in the code, but the fact is that the code is checking and doing a lot of stuff and I'm not sure if I will find anything.

As to the gravity adjust, could you be more specific? I watched the vid again and didn't see any issues with the gravity. Each of the characters has their own 'weight' and will fall at different rates, but I didn't see anything unusual.

LB

Attachments

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 06:09 Edited at: 14th Jun 2009 20:31
Ok, I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to look because that picture is kinda small but this is what I got so far.

Edit: I took the image out it was messing up the page.

Is the mesh good so far? How about the polycount? Point out anything you don't like.

Attachments

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 06:24
I like it so far! The poly count will work fine.

Can you UV map it? Any chance you could make a projectile for it too?

You will, of course, be credited for your contribution(s). When you are all done, could you email it to me?

Thanks much for your help,

LBFN

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 07:08
Projectile? Sure thing. I will UV Map, texture it and then E-Mail it to you.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 16:12
That's great! Too bad we couldn't have hooked up long ago, when I first got involved with this project. I appreciate the help very much.

LB

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 18:59 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 19:00
Thanks! Just a heads up I'm not going to be home all day today and maybe tomorrow, but when I get back it will be top on my priority list.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 20:06 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 20:12
I did some searching through the code to see what I could do to speed it up, and I found the problem and made a work-around to fix it. Here is a pic from Starwraith Showdown, the most FPS - taxing arena that is in TGC Heroes:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=zz4mzj3mwwy&thumb=6

Needless to say, I am very pleased to see the FPS back where it was.

DB PROgrammer:
That's fine, I've got plenty to work on until you can get to it.

LBFN

Attachments

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 20:25
Sorry for not sending the Dream Town model before. Here, I'll get you the new model of Kel, as well as the new Dream Town, and the box model, as I remember the boxes you were using just had the outline put onto the texture. I know you've got a different model for Kel, but you should be able to take apart this texture to fit properly, the face and hair are much improved.

I'll send you those soon.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 21:01 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 19:05
Bizar Guy:

It's good to hear from you! I'm doing everything I can to produce a final build (v. 0.80 actually) by June 27th for the testers to go through. I plan to completely remodel the Dream arena from scratch as the existing one that I have has always had collision problems. This, along with the work on Kel, will take some time. Therefore, I would like to get the models / textures as soon as possible.

LB

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 20:28 Edited at: 14th Jun 2009 20:31
Ok, I'm done unless you have anything you want changed. I'll send you it as soon as you confirm.

I didn't have any referance for the missile so if it's not right and you want it changed just send me a pic.

Attachments

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 22:20 Edited at: 14th Jun 2009 22:21
DB PROgrammer
They look good and should work fine! The yellow should show up nicely in-game.

If you can export .ms3d files or .x files, that would be my preference. .obj or .3ds will work. I'm debating whether to have Stickman carry this around on his back all the time or whether to simply switch it for the AK47 when the player's smashmeter is full.

I'll try to get Stickman's UberPwnage move installed within the next several days and plan to post a pic or vid of it in action.

Thanks again for your help to TGC Heroes.

LBFN

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 22:51
Your welcome. I sent it to you in an E-Mail.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 15:08
Quote: "DB PROgrammer:
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the bazooka from Stick Suicide2. I have attached a copy of it to this post.

Quote: "Nice work."

Thanks
Quote: "Some comments to improve the quality of the game.

The speed should be a little faster and I think it needs a gravity adjust. It seems (for me), like i was watching some things of the video in slow cam."
The vid was recorded using fraps and is slightly slower than the actual game speed. Do you refer to the speed of the animations or to the movement of the characters themselves? I purposely have slowed the animations so that you can see the moves as they are being made, but if I need to speed it up, that is easy to do. If you are talking game speed, the game moves pretty quickly with two characters (60 FPS or so) and is more intense than SSB IMO. With four characters, it currently runs about 43 - 45 FPS on my computer (3.4 GHz single core w/Radeon X600) and about 27 FPS on my laptop. I am looking for speed increases in the code, but the fact is that the code is checking and doing a lot of stuff and I'm not sure if I will find anything.

As to the gravity adjust, could you be more specific? I watched the vid again and didn't see any issues with the gravity. Each of the characters has their own 'weight' and will fall at different rates, but I didn't see anything unusual.

LB"

In my opinion (again), it seems like the characters are floating in mid air.

They are falling linear or in a exponential way?, the jumps should be faster in the beggining and faster in the end, altough characters should not stay too long in hte air with they jump unless they jump in mid air.

When jumping there should be some kind of animation that is more visually appealing (I'm not refering to graphics, I'm reffering to a appeling reaction like a spark or light with a revolving animation) so it's credible that the character cn stay longer in air.

Hope this make clear my point.
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 17:12
Quote: "When jumping there should be some kind of animation that is more visually appealing "

Alfa X do you mean like particle effects when a player is hit? We currently just have smoke effects in place when hit or landing.

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3D hack N slash http://lastswordsmen.freezoka.com
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 20:24
Quote: "In my opinion (again), it seems like the characters are floating in mid air.

They are falling linear or in a exponential way?, the jumps should be faster in the beggining and faster in the end, altough characters should not stay too long in hte air with they jump unless they jump in mid air. "

Alright, I didn't really see them as floating in the air, but nevertheless I have increased the gravity for all players and have adjusted the jumping rate for all of them too. It makes it harder to get back to the arena, so I may have to tweak that a little bit.
The gravity is applied exponentially and the players move quicker at the start of a jump and at the end of it. If they fall, they pick up speed as they go.

Quote: "When jumping there should be some kind of animation that is more visually appealing (I'm not refering to graphics, I'm reffering to a appeling reaction like a spark or light with a revolving animation) so it's credible that the character cn stay longer in air."

I'll have to think about this. Only some of the SSB characters have any extra graphics associated with a standard jump.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 22:46
Quote: "Alfa X do you mean like particle effects when a player is hit? We currently just have smoke effects in place when hit or landing."

Yes, like that.

what I try to say it's that the appeling in a a game its very important. From my perspective TGC-H needs a bit of work in that

I found very long ago a very interesting article, let em look for it (i don't know if i can find it again).

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 10:32:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 10:32:44