Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / What is so good about Halo?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 17:50
Quote: "Halo is just exceptionally good at everything it does. "

Which is kind of my point. I still say it's the best FPS out there. Not because of one thing in particular, but because of every little detail. The sum of its parts.
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 17:51 Edited at: 10th Oct 2007 18:00
Quote: ". Didn't like the game itself, though. Too repetitive and it had virtually no restrictions either, as you "respawned" whenever you died. Why bother buying health packs when you can "grind" your way through with enough patience?
"

Yeh that was the games biggest flaw, I pretty much agree with what you've said above, I rarely used health packs as respawns were always round the corner. However I thought graphically and story wise it was a much better game and I think they have a good basis for the supposed sequel.
Quote: "Bioshock, for me, was a big disappointment. Too overhyped, the Plasmid idea sucked, the ending felt very rushed and honestly, I didn't feel like it was that revolutionary. I played through it and started again, to see if it would be more fun, but stopped after a while. Back to Halo."

Well now you see what I thought of halo 3, too overhyped, nothing was revolutionary I played through it on legendary and am still trudging but slowing down somewhat.
The reason I brought up bioshock was because it could be classed as the same genre and was released around the same time period. I didn't think bioshock was anything that special either (but I enjoyed it more than halo), I think most games nowadays are waaaay too overhyped and lead to dissapointment, thats why I try not to get involved in any game hype because it will just end up in a massive anti-climax.

Formerly Supermonkey
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 18:28
Hah, which is odd, as Halo delivered exactly what I hoped, even with the hype around it. I felt Halo: Combat Evolved was revolutionary for the consoles, and that automatically classifies 'more of the same' in the same class for me. Just because it feels the same, it keeps feeling revolutionary.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 18:31 Edited at: 10th Oct 2007 18:32
Quote: "Hah, which is odd, as Halo delivered exactly what I hoped, even with the hype around it. I felt Halo: Combat Evolved was revolutionary for the consoles, and that automatically classifies 'more of the same' in the same class for me. Just because it feels the same, it keeps feeling revolutionary."

We shalt have to agree to disagree, this is a perfect example of what raven said, two conflicting opinions, neither wrong...

j/k

Formerly Supermonkey
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 18:37
Ofcourse, we'll agree to disagree. Let's at least agree that I am right and you are wrong, then.

Sopo the tocho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 21:39 Edited at: 10th Oct 2007 22:05
@Raven: once again you seen to not understand what I mean, I don't critique his opinion about Halo, I against the "concept" of "the best FPS game out there" it self, because I wonder How some one has a opinion about something he even tried or played? because its obvious he hasn't played all the FPS games out there...

I will give you an example of what I mean:

Quote: "
subject 1 : What do you think about "Quake XXII"

Subject 2 : Its so bad!!

Subject 1 : Why? did you even played it?

Subject 2 : No, but that game is crap!

Subject 1 : But why?

Subject 2 : Respect my opinion! "

Do you think the opinion of "Subject 2" in this example its correct? even if he hasn´t played the game?

What´s wrong if you instead of "its the best FPS game out there" you say "its the best FPS game I have ever played!"

Because if you say that then I will be agree with you...

Do you see my point of view now?

Intel Pentium core 2 duo T6600 2,6 mhz 4mb, 4 gb ram 600 mhz ddr2
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 22:16
Quote: "Do you think the opinion of "Subject 2" in this example its correct? even if he hasn´t played the game? "

personally I wouldn't trust his opinion if i was thinging about getting the game (if there wasn't say a demo available)

however, let's look at this from a different viewpoint from your example. I liked Half-Life, but my mate didn't; so he didn't try Half-Life 2 for absolutely ages and was determined he wouldn't like it.

When he finally tried it because of seeing me playing with the ZPG, he affirmed his original thoughts on the game.

The reason for this is simply because it is nearly the same game, yeah it's got a nice shiney graphics overhaul; and some new physics features. Still at the end of the day it is still the exact same game.

It's the same with the Halo series. Each game has some graphics updates, each one has some new features and expands the story. At the end of the day though, it's still the same game underneath.

The difference between Quake 1, 2 and 3 however is ridiculously enormous to be able to judge them as a series. Entirely different stories, gameplay, etc. Yet Quake 4 was basically Doom 3 crossbred with Quake 2. As such if you've played and disliked either then it's likely despite the updates you won't like it if you didn't like either Doom 3 or Quake 2.

I think a better example to mention would be someone who hadn't played any of the games in a series. For example the hordes of people putting down Killzone 2, yet never played Killzone 1.
That is retarded and they're not allowed an opinion.. but this isn't a case of that. You're more bitching about his symentics of the situation.

Which imo is just a bit too damn anal, you need a hobby

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 00:21
I could never agree with calling any game in the Halo series, or the series as a whole, the best game, or best FPS game, or best series of (FPS) games. It made only one single major contribution, in that the hype surrounding it generated some fresh faces in the games market. Not millions mind you... let's face it, a lot of the people who played Halo were gamers long before Halo was released... but a substantial number of new players. From what I've seen over the years, Halo has done far more to promote the original XBox (and now the 360)'s sales than it has the industry as a whole, and gave the XBox a hallmark flagship title to sell consoles under. But to say it had some major influence on the industry as a whole... it must be something that went right over my head, because I've failed to see it. I'm not saying it isn't a huge game or that it didn't have any impact at all, but seriously, to say it had more influence than games like Pong, Pac Man, Mario Brothers, The Sims, Myst, Doom, or even Bejeweled is simply outrageous. Okay, more influence than Bejeweled, on the mainstream industry anyway. But in my humble opinion, if there were some grand international election for the greatest or most influential game of all time and Halo made it into the top 10, I'd probably cry myself to sleep every night for the rest of my life. But again, it just doesn't "do it" for me, so my vote would be bias, lol.

I never really thought about the bible/ Halo thing, and I have to agree with others that I don't see the connection. But then a lot of people don't see the connections between Star Wars and WWII because they don't look between the lines, and the same can be said of Gilgamesh inspiring the Bible, so maybe this is something similar to that? But again, I don't see the connection, beyond what things are named of course.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 11:59
I don't think Sopo is anal about semantics. I think he's just plain tiresome.

This is what I wrote in my first post about the game, along the discussed lines: "In my opinion, there is no FPS to rival Halo 3 out there."

Where on Earth does "in my opinion" provide the world with a definitive answer that is something above or beyond what I personally think?

My OPINION on Sopo's focus in this discussion is that he's basically ridiculing himself because he doesn't have an actual argument to come up with. If I'm wrong on this account I'll gladly listen to his OPINIONS about other FPS titles that he prefers before Halo 3.

Or he can continue to whine about my choice of words if he likes...
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 12:05
Quote: "in my humble opinion, if there were some grand international election for the greatest or most influential game of all time and Halo made it into the top 10"

I personally never used the term "influential" or anything along that line.

To phrase myself so that I avoid any further misenterpretation:

My opinion is that Halo 3 is the best modern FPS across all platforms.

I can mention a myriad of other FPS titles that have inspired me in many ways and that are better in certain areas than Halo 3. But as I've said somewhere -- the sum of this title's parts is higher than for the other titles.

And when did this discussion EVER have anything to do about what game's influential or not?

Originally, it was about what makes Halo good?

Now, I'd honestly appreciate to hear why it's not.
Sopo the tocho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 16:10 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 16:27
My OPINION on Sopo's focus in this discussion is that he's basically ridiculing himself because he doesn't have an actual argument to come up with. If I'm wrong on this account I'll gladly listen to his OPINIONS about other FPS titles that he prefers before Halo 3."

Seriously Did you read what I said? I DON'T have an opinion about halo, I´m NOT telling you Halo isn't the best, your opinion about Halo is Valid however you should considerer you´re opining and comparing Halo with games you have actually played, read it again:

Quote: "What´s wrong if you instead of "its the best FPS game out there" you say "its the best FPS game I have ever played!"

Because if you say that then I will be agree with you..."

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 19:54
I hate political correctness. Seriously. Who gives. If someone says Halo 3 is the best FPS out there, aren't we intellectual enough to conclude that is an opinion?

Sopo the tocho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 21:44 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 21:47
Again, I Know is his opinion, I don't have nothing against his opinion either. I just like him to concrete.

Maybe we here some kind of Cultural/Language issue cuz I´m always trying to translate what I would say in Spanish in to English, in my language these words would make a HUGE difference even in a opinion if is that then my bad...

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 22:22
I wouldn't know, but never mind. Let's just let this thread die, I think everything that has to be said has been said .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 06:09 Edited at: 13th Oct 2007 06:10
Quote: "I think everything that has to be said has been said"

Some bible references from Halo? Just off the top of my head...

The title: A halo is a ring, usually around the head of a holy person. Not entirely relevant, and definitely present in other things besides biblical stuff.

The Ark: Remember Noah, and how he saved all the animals from a Flood? Seems to me, being that the Ark was the 'main control' for the halos, that it acts very much like the biblical Ark.

The Covenant: A covenant is a promise, and God makes several. Namely, Jesus was to sacrifice himself to atone for sins. Might be a stretch, but the Covenant's religious leaders were leading their people on a sacrificial war, hoping to gain from it.

That's all that comes to mind that the moment. I don't think it's enough to say the bible's a huge influence, but it does have it's presence in a lot of places.

aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 16:26
I think since Halo 1,2,and 3 were such good games, they recieved a lot of hype, EVERYONE started talking about how good they were and halo has recieved way too much attention as a result. It is REALLY Hard to believe Halo could be as good as they say.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 17:58
The title: A halo is a ring, usually around the head of a holy person. Not entirely relevant, and definitely present in other things besides biblical stuff.

The Ark: Remember Noah, and how he saved all the animals from a Flood? Seems to me, being that the Ark was the 'main control' for the halos, that it acts very much like the biblical Ark.

The Covenant: A covenant is a promise, and God makes several. Namely, Jesus was to sacrifice himself to atone for sins. Might be a stretch, but the Covenant's religious leaders were leading their people on a sacrificial war, hoping to gain from it."

Hah, yeah, and they described slingshots as well, so Turok is based upon the Bible as well?

The Halo's are a (presumable radiationbased) Weapon of Mass Destruction. Not really in reference to the Ark of Noah, which was saving all life. The Shield Worlds seem to act as 'Ark'.

The Covenant tried to destroy all life, you know... Not really like Jesus, if you asked me...

On first glance it might look the same, but I think that it doesn't really hold.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 00:02
@tha_rami,

Yea, it's nothing too significant. Of course, if they did make Halo strongly Christian, they'd probably run into problems with someone.

I think the Arc is strongest tie, since in relation to the Flood, it makes sense. Not really in the sense of saving life. But I digress.

@aluseus,
I ageee, there's been almost too much hype. Not completely unnecessary but it gets annoying.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 05:56 Edited at: 15th Oct 2007 05:57
Quote: "Yea, it's nothing too significant. Of course, if they did make Halo strongly Christian, they'd probably run into problems with someone."

yeah, like no one playing it, hehe.

Again, I'm thinking maybe this is one of those things like the Star Wars/ World War II connections. I have no idea if Lucas did it intentionally, but I can definitely see a lot of connections between the two stories, so I can agree with the camp that thinks the Star Wars story is based on WWII. They just aren't blatently obvious. There's no character's named Hitler or Rommel or Patton, and no planets named Bastogne or Normandy, but they're still similar in a number of ways. It's been a pretty long time since Halo 2 came out, and that was the last time I've been exposed to the story in any way, so excuse me for not remembering a game I didn't like, hehe. But I'm sure connections could be easily made, without Jesus walking into frame during an FMV.

Quote: "Now, I'd honestly appreciate to hear why it's not. "

Why it's not good? I can name a bunch of reasons why I didn't like it, but I think I've already done that. The shortlist:
- Wasn't original in my view. I think they named the protagonist "Master Chief" because "The Doom Guy" was taken.

- Story didn't captivate me, and unless it's a racing game or FIFA, the story is the most important feature I look for in a game. Shy of the nouns used, nothing leapt out at me as being genuinely unique. EDIT: Might make for a fun game of adlibs actually

- Online play didn't dazzle me. It's like BF42 meets Doom with pretty graphics... not spectacular imo.

But those are just my opinions and the opinions of a handful of others around the globe (I said handful, for the record... so don't take what I said out of context lol). And besides, I'm not exactly what you'd call an authority on what makes games good, lol. Maybe when one of my games sells more than five copies I'll get a bit more firebrand on the subject of what makes games good and what doesn't, hehe. Now when they make a Halo text adventure, that's when you should start taking my opinion seriously, lol.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 18:20
Quote: "- Wasn't original in my view. I think they named the protagonist "Master Chief" because "The Doom Guy" was taken."

That's like saying they called Lara Croft Lara Croft because Victory Croft didn't sound nice, Matt. Honestly.

Quote: "- Story didn't captivate me, and unless it's a racing game or FIFA, the story is the most important feature I look for in a game. Shy of the nouns used, nothing leapt out at me as being genuinely unique. EDIT: Might make for a fun game of adlibs actually"

Should play the games first, eh . But that's just an opinion.

Quote: "- Online play didn't dazzle me. It's like BF42 meets Doom with pretty graphics... not spectacular imo."

Eh... Doom?

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 02:01 Edited at: 16th Oct 2007 02:03
Quote: "That's like saying they called Lara Croft Lara Croft because Victory Croft didn't sound nice, Matt. Honestly."

Not at all what I meant though. Lara Croft was an original character in the game world... Master Chief isn't. The "strong silent type" in a nifty outfit has been done before, and they didn't build on his character enough for me in the first two games to consider him an interesting character. Edit: Oh yeah, and shy of one being male and one being female, does no one else see the similarities to Samus Aran? Samus has the cooler equipment of course, but they're definitely a lot alike.

Quote: "Should play the games first, eh . But that's just an opinion."

I did play the first two games. Let's get my point across this way, and play that adlibs game I suggested before. Name the Protagonist, Antagonist, setting, and a brief summary of the overall story. Let's see if I can change nouns around and fit another story into it. That's what I was getting at.

Quote: "Eh... Doom?"

You don't see the myriad of similarities in the online play between Halo and the two games I brought up? They basically took the best of both worlds and threw them together. Eh, maybe Doom wasn't a good example. So let's say, I dunno, Half Life 2. My point is, I don't see why everyone flips out about Halo's multiplayer with claims that it's innovative or fresh because it's all been done before.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 03:07
Quote: "My point is, I don't see why everyone flips out about Halo's multiplayer with claims that it's innovative or fresh because it's all been done before."

I don't think so. Halo strikes a perfect balance between guns, grenades, and melee (something I am aiming for in my next game). In what other games would you rather try and melee someone than shoot him, and successfully do so? There are other innovative things, like stickies, spike and flame grenades, gravity lifts, items, the gravity hammer and the energy sword, and the vehicles (which might not be all that innovative, but are perfectly done).

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 03:46
Quote: "Not at all what I meant though. Lara Croft was an original character in the game world... Master Chief isn't. The "strong silent type" in a nifty outfit has been done before, and they didn't build on his character enough for me in the first two games to consider him an interesting character. Edit: Oh yeah, and shy of one being male and one being female, does no one else see the similarities to Samus Aran? Samus has the cooler equipment of course, but they're definitely a lot alike."

Lara Croft original? What about Pitfall, then?

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 06:51
Actually, Master Chief is a rank in the US navy... the highest, in fact.

Wikipedia:
Master Chief Petty Officer is the ninth, and highest, enlisted rank (E-9) in the U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard, just above Senior Chief Petty Officer, and is a non-commissioned officer. They are referred to as Master Chief in most circumstances.

Makes sense that, since Space military and the navy are similar (both have ships, fleets, ect), Master Chief has this rank, and is therefore referred to as Master Chief.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 10:32
Quote: "- Wasn't original in my view. I think they named the protagonist "Master Chief" because "The Doom Guy" was taken."

Perfectly sound opinion, and one I'd say counts for 99 percent of the games out there. Not least of all to sequels, of course. And as Lorne Lanning phrased it in an interview once, "sequelitis" is what the game industry is beginning to suffer from.

As to the anonymity of the MC, I think much of it comes down to player identification, really.

Quote: "- Story didn't captivate me, and unless it's a racing game or FIFA, the story is the most important feature I look for in a game. Shy of the nouns used, nothing leapt out at me as being genuinely unique. EDIT: Might make for a fun game of adlibs actually "

I agree.

Quote: "- Online play didn't dazzle me. It's like BF42 meets Doom with pretty graphics... not spectacular imo."

Now, this is the part where I don't agree, personally. There are many reasons I prefer to play Halo 3 in multiplayer to, really, any other FPS on any platform.

1) Variation. It has a treasure of different modes, options and other variations. Team games, free for all games and so many variations of all standard game types that fiddling for five minutes can create entirely new experiences.

2) Casual perfection. The "virtual couch" system via Xbox Live is just plainly brilliant. It's like chilling out with your friends in a couch, except your friends can be all over the world. There are plenty of things that makes this brilliant. From the matchmaking system automation to everything else. I love it.

3) Balance. I seriously don't think any other FPS is as balanced in multiplayer as Halo 3. This is interesting, given that the game has tons of weapons, vehicles and other factors that implement gameplay. But it's a difficult game to dominate using just a single weapon or vehicle. There are almost always a way to get on top of a given situation.

But sure, you can MAKE Halo 3 play as a simple deathmatch/CTF affair in Doom fashion. You can also make it play as a more team-oriented game, as BF42. But then there are tons of other variations as well.

It's just the amount of players that remains a restriction.

At the end of the day, what it comes down to is preference, however. I guess this pretty much sums my view of the game -- and you've just summed up yours, Matt.
HartGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 18:17 Edited at: 16th Oct 2007 18:18
Just to clarify a few things:

I think, though am not sure, that bible references are intentional by bungie. They did this somewhat in their Marathon Game series.

Also Master Chief is his rank, as said by Dr Manette. His real name, well i say "real", is John-117. A name and a code because he was part of the Spartan project.

His name is also thought by many to be, yet another, bible reference
Quote: "When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades." "

The part where he says "The first and the Last" may refer to how he was the first child to be studied for the Spartan project and the Last to survive. Also could also reference to the fact:

Halo 3 spoiler, Do not read if you have not finished game!!!

Personally I think Halo 3 is a good game. It's definately in my Top 5, though not sure if it's my favourite(reserving that for mass effect )

The story, although it's not entirely original. And believe me, I will forever be TOTALLY annoyed at Bungie stealing the Halo shape thing from Niven. But it is the way that it all fits together. The contrast between the religous over the top Covenant and the down to earth Marines.

The way how cool master chief looks, personally I don't care if he looks like every other armored person out there, it's cool. Also I really like the concept of the flood, mainly because they're intelligent.

Multiplayer wise, I love it. I don't know what it is I just do. This may be aided by Xbox LIVE aswell.

Overall Halo is a solid series which will probably be remembered as one of the best game franchises ever, wheter it actually is, I don't know.

Ultimately, it's like "Why do people like their favourite foods?", They just do
Tecnuro Entertainment LTD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 01:15 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 01:28
Not to insult Halo 3 at all, but I think Bungie has taken alot of the credit for many leaps in FPSs made by other games; the game series is epic, but the experience doesnt quite resonate as much as it should for the hype/praise it receives.

Are Fear, Fahrenheit, Gears, TCGRAW, Bioshock, and Metroid Prime lacking something compared to the 10/10 Halo series??

Decent game + compulsive-purchase marketing = phenomenon.

Kez: Legacy of the Flame
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 02:37
You make a good point Tecnuro Entertainment LTD. The thing is, I could make the best FPS ever, but if no one buys it, then is it revolutionary? Now I know that's a bit extreme, but I know that Halo is a highly played and highly bought game, and one that came before a few of the games you mentioned.

And, as usual, video game ratings are all opinionated. If you look hard enough, someone has give Halo less than a perfect score. It's really not all the individual features, but how they mixed them.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 05:13
Quote: "Are Fear, Fahrenheit, Gears, TCGRAW, Bioshock, and Metroid Prime lacking something compared to the 10/10 Halo series??"

Yes. Fear lacks something, if you ask me. I would put it down to a feeling of being limited. Fahrenheit I don't consider as a shooter. GRAW is strategical and lacks melee aspects. Bioshock is a worthy opponent for Halo, but lacks story if you ask me. It felt rushed to the end. Metroid Prime is the only game that got near to the Halo games, in my opinion - and heck, I'm a Metroid purist.

HartGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 11:01
Quote: "Are Fear, Fahrenheit, Gears, TCGRAW, Bioshock, and Metroid Prime lacking something compared to the 10/10 Halo series??"

I've played most of those games, with the exception of Metroid prime so this doesn't really apply. They are good games, they do some things that a great. But I always felt like I was playing a game. Whenever I was killing a boss in Gears I was doing it for fun and to unlock the nextlevel, whereas in Halo I AM Master Chief I AM there to save the world and I AM killing a load of covenant. It just draws me in.

Also I'd just like to say in reply to all the posts about whether the stor4y is original or not. It isn't really, but it is the way it is all combined. And I think that Halo is the first time that a game has succesfully pulled off the classic Sci-Fi genre.

Quote: "LTD. The thing is, I could make the best FPS ever, but if no one buys it, then is it revolutionary?"

I have to agree here. Thinking outside the box is easy, the hard thing is making the box bigger.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 11:55
Quote: "I have to agree here. Thinking outside the box is easy, the hard thing is making the box bigger."

You honor your avatar.

The Scorpion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 09:42
In short: hype.

This game to me is just hype and marketing appeal. I played all three of them and they are good games and well made, polished to a shine, and fun to play, but overall it's just mediocre compared to the rest of the industry. Somethings are ahead of their time and this series, well, just is the opposite.

I've noticed a connection with Halo being disliked by the fans of "realistic warfare." I suppose I'm an exception to this since I don't like either (I actually can't stand realistic warfare because I can't seem to see the point of it when I can just experience it without the game.)

I honestly think, though, that my bias against consoles adds a little fuel to my dislike of the game, but I consider the fact that it's nothing new or spectacular, yet receives the acclaim of something that is, irks me.

Much regards,
The Scorpion
--Site Temporarily Out of Service--
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 11:11
the story and the way it is presented beats the pants off of a lot of fps's, a lot of heart is in this game and it shines through.

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 13:22
No. Die topic. Everybody. Ssssstt.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 02:45
I like the story, and the athmosphere

Its my Freedom, Its my Duty, Its my War!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 05:28 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 05:31

I think the defining point story wise between myself and tha_rami is that I would describe tha_rami as Halo and myself as Half Life. Half Life is a hell of a lot more bizar than Halo, and you never quite get what's going on. But then it starts to fall into place. Like tha_rami said, Halo has and epic story that "fits". Personally I'm impressed thuroughly with both stories, but I lean towards Half Life's. I'd say if any one game has had a major influence on my ideas, it would be Half Life. No other game has influenced my sence of style, aside from Homeworld.

So, therefore my style comes from the Dark Tower series, FLCL, Half Life, Homeworld, and Calvin and Hobbes. I'll update this in my head as I come to understand it better.

Edit:
Quote: "I actually can't stand realistic warfare because I can't seem to see the point of it when I can just experience it without the game"

Oh that made me laugh! See you when you come back from some bloddy war and say how it was so much better than playing a game about it!

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
dfujis the rocker
Years of Service
User Offline
playing zombies on multiplayer is really fun for halo 2
also, people find ways to make a unique game type, which is good because it's fun and customizalbe (is that even a word?)

famous last words: check this out
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 21:23
Quote: "but I lean towards Half Life's. I'd say if any one game has had a major influence on my ideas, it would be Half Life. "

I totally agree. HL1 created an amazing atmosphere before you even saw an enemy or touched a single weapon.

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 21:28
I'd go for Deus Ex as far as influence goes. Or the first Halo in terms of atmosphere setting, or Metal Gear Solid. Half Life was good, surely, but the above titles own it if you ask me.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 21:58
Quote: "I'd go for Deus Ex as far as influence goes. Or the first Halo in terms of atmosphere setting, or Metal Gear Solid. Half Life was good, surely, but the above titles own it if you ask me."

And that's exactly where we differ. I would take the Half Life games and Homeworld over the games you mentioned any and every day, though I do agree they're very good. I haven't played Deus Ex though I have played through Halo 1 and have played the other Halos, and have played a few Metal Gears.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 22:10
Ooh, Homeworld is good too, yeah.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 23:08
<3MGS

Halo's good stuff too.

Half-life? I thought it was... "Real-Life"...

Productivity on Hassassin has increased tenfold.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 00:33
Quote: "Half-life? I thought it was... "Real-Life"..."

uh, yeah. Half life as in radioactivity.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 01:04
halo? man that game rocks! to me, that's the best FPS game ever. it's also considered the benchmark of shooting games. good quality graphics, good gameplay, all out action that reminds you of a being in a movie, great music, and great everything. who ever wonders what makes it so good should start playing the halo series. BTW DOA Extreme? man that game kinda rocks but seem pretty perverted game because of the bouncy gravity defying chicks. DOA is actually pretty good if you would to rent it. the game seems boring or repititive after you've played it through.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 06:49
... no, I'm sorry. Not even worth it.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 00:08
Quote: "uh, yeah. Half life as in radioactivity."

I know that, man, I was joking around saying that the graphics looked real.

Productivity on Hassassin has increased tenfold.
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 12:47
Halo 3 was imense. It felt as if I was playing a movie - a good movie.

Call fo Duty 4 was good as well.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 18:16
CoD4 was more intense than Halo, for sure. Halo was more immersive.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 06:17
I haven't read all the posts here but here's what I think is good about halo.

1. Gameplay
2. Multiplayer and being able to join up easily
3. Easy to mute annoying people
4. Variety of environments
5. 4 player co-op
6. Good story (not necessarily the most original but what these days really is a new idea?)
7. Great cinematics
8. Cool aliens

[href]www.savethegrunts.org[/href]
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 06:21
The story was rather cool, imho. Nothing unoriginal about it. Actually more than just good and evil in it, some beautiful shades of grey and some really well executed background and drama.

Spoiler:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 09:58:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 09:58:38