Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / What is so good about Halo?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 16:59
Quote: "(not necessarily the most original but what these days really is a new idea?)"

A lot.

A new idea is not just something never before though of in all its parts, a new idea is usually the combination of its parts, in where the most important ones are mostly original. HL has a VERY original story.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 17:18
It is hard to create a new idea nowadays because the vast majority of things have already been done. Plus Halo's story is not really that original.

Halo Rings - there are many sience fictions with space rings

Cyborgs - nothing new

Covanent - there have been many coalitions of aliens

Flood - halflife headcrabs - tyrannids from warhammer 40

It is original in the idea that it brought all of these ideas together. And yes it is an excelent story.
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 20:08
Einstein said pretty much what I was trying to get across. Don't get me wrong, I am prolly one of the biggenst halo fanboys here, but I'm honest to myself, halo isn't completely original. Still the most amazing game I've played and one of the best stories I've ever experienced, but I still say its not completely original.

[href]www.savethegrunts.org[/href]
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 20:54
I can't vouch for Halo's originality, only knowing bits of the story from what I've played and heard. I can vouch for Half Lifes. I just mean in general, original ideas aren't hard to come by. Thinking otherwise for the most part means that you haven't come up with many yourself. Sure most stories share similar elements and concepts, but that does not mean they are not original, by the standards I'm getting at. I mean more unique than original I suppose.

The way I go about it is by doing what I want to, which usually as a whole ends up being pretty unique. I rarely d something because most people don't.

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 22:21
So now that we have discussed how Halo was such a good game. How can we impliment some of these features into our games?
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 00:02
Pouring the coffee directly into the computer?

Large scale battles and physics involved with them are big. This game stuck out in my mind with nearly recreating this. Link

Watch the vid.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 08:03
Bizar guy, I hope you're not taking offense to my opinions. Thats what they are dude, opinions.

crydrk@crydrk.com is my email. feel free to use it.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 11:23
I think everyone saying the story is not original is wrong. It is extremely in depth and although elements might have been seen before, most are twisted or changed in such a way they are unrecognizable. Not many stories have a history of Rampant AI's, several extinct species plus legacy (Precursors & Forerunners), such a delicate balance of diplomacy between the many factions and such a rapid story nevertheless.

I haven't seen many games tell a story as well as Halo does through dialogue.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 17:51
@The crazy, why would I e-mail you? I honestly don't want to have an in depth discussion about this. And you definitely misread my last post, because there are no traces of anger or offence in it. You can tell when I'm offended by something because I completely flip out. That's happened... 3 time since I joined, I think. Maybe 4. And if you can't take someone disagreeing with your opinion of a forum... I wasn't even made at you until you posted that ridiculous post I'm responding to right now.

What? Should I only disagree when you post a fact??

Quote: "
I haven't seen many games tell a story as well as Halo does through dialogue."

I don't think most people realize how far beyond Halo the Halo universe spans. Halo is just a small piece of a massive story.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 18:49
Calm down Bizar. I added my input and you have flipped out. Calm down

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 23:54
I agree with tha_rami 100%.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 07:03
@The crazy, by input, do you mean giving me your e-mail and saying you hope I didn't take offence to your opinions? Because if you're taking about anything else you're being kinda a dumb@**. You must live in some sort of weird universe where everything I post is in offence to your opinions, which ABSOLUTELY NONE OF IT HAS. This is so simple. I strongly disagree with your opinion, so stated my own. I made no make to indicate I was offended, I just said I disagreed and said my own. I flipped out at this:

Quote: "Bizar guy, I hope you're not taking offense to my opinions. Thats what they are dude, opinions.

crydrk@crydrk.com is my email. feel free to use it."

And not because I'm offered, but because it is so stupid and ridiculous that all I could think was WTF? WHY would you think I would flip out over someones opinion, and how on EARTH did you read my post as an attack??? Seriously, just stop.

Anyways, you cannot make this situation better by responding to this post. Arguing more will heat it up, acting like you read my post but then responding to something I didn't post is the worst, and apologizing would be dumb, because there's nothing to apologise for. Now, however you respond to this (which I hope you wont), I will not answer. This is a dead issue, and I'd like to move on. I'm going to assume that you're actually the smart person you've portrayed up until the quoted post, and not the type you're acting like now (which I can't even think of a classification for).

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 07:28 Edited at: 5th Dec 2007 07:29
Wow, very mature. You could have emailed me that instead of dragging this thread down. Hence the reason I gave my email b/c i know people like you. But if thats your way of maturely ending a conversation that's fair enough.

Quote: "Now, however you respond to this (which I hope you wont), I will not answer."

I love how angry people always end it like that. Let's hope you stick to your word, eh?

Shell Shock
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't think it was anything spectacular, in my opinion. The graphics in 2 and 3 are pretty and all, but once you get down to hard tack and brass balls, its just another average FPS. It didn't accomplish anything new or interesting, and, you might say to yourself "OMG STORY!!!" Lots of games have a storyline, and better than Halo, even in other FPS games. I got hooked more on RTCW than this one. Maybe I'm a rebel or something, but the game didn't impress.

On a side not, Call of Duty 4 didn't blow my socks off either, but it might have tugged 'em a little bit. I'm a sucker for pretty effects, lol.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 18:35
The Crazy, I think your reaction is a bit exxagerated and reacting to a 'final post' with an insult like that doesn't show much of maturity for yourself neither.

Die, topic, die! We already know some people think Halo is holy, some people think Halo is very good (those can be correct), some who think it is average and those who thinks it sucks (those can be correct too).

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 20:20
i insulted him?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 21:07
Yes, and you challenged him on top of that as well. Although both of them not directly, everyone with brains can see your last line is an indirect challenge.

Now honestly, Bizar Guy acted a bit immature there, but your reaction is nothing better than that.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 00:44 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 01:42
[edit] we're all good now

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 02:12
We are indeed. Can this topic pléase die now. Please?

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 22:40
come on guys, everybody knows that Number Munchers is the best game of all time.... just kidding.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 22:52
Quote: "The Halo's are a (presumable radiationbased) Weapon of Mass Destruction. Not really in reference to the Ark of Noah, which was saving all life. The Shield Worlds seem to act as 'Ark'.

The Covenant tried to destroy all life, you know... Not really like Jesus, if you asked me...
"

even without reading the bible, surely we've all seen Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark...

Forget Noah's Ark, think Ark of the Covenant. If you opened it, blasting light/energy killed you. In the movie, quite abit around you too. so we've got 'halo' - 1)ring of holy light/energy. roughly matching with 2)radiation/energy based weapon of mass destruction.

and the biblical Ark was kept by the 'Covenant' therefore making them 1)the bearers of a deadly artifact destroying all life to touch it that wasn't them. matching with 2)a group trying to destroy all life

Personally I havn't played the Halo games, so I don't know thier story in the slightest but just from what i've read here these connections fairly leap out along with several others.

wind27382
Years of Service
User Offline
Before i write this post it's important for everyone to know that I love halo. In my opinion it's the funniest fps. However the story is not original. i was walking through a used book store and read the cover to a book called ring world that had almost the exact same story of halo without the covenant. it even had the forerunners and the halo's. but Halo is still a fun game just not original.

wind
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 17:51
You know, all FPS'es are not original, they all use this thing called weapon, and I read about it in a lot of books!

The Ark in Halo is to preserve life, not to destroy it. In that sense, it is more of the Ark of Noah than the Ark of the Covenant. The Forerunners and the Halo's are inspired by Ringworld and noone denies that, but the story certainly remains original. The Halo's are a last resort, not a Ringworld like in Larry Nivens' story a (far larger) articial world encapsuling a star (the Halo's actually orbit planets).

I also think all platformers are not original, they all have this thing like walking and jumping and stuff, and I read about that too!

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 19:43
I thought this thread was gonna die out .

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 02:09 Edited at: 4th Jan 2008 02:10
I love how unlike many FPS games it's very colorful and shiny. The atmospheres created in Halo 3 simply blow me away, for instance, on The Road to Voi, you are on a small road with a small team of soldiers battling small teams of guards, while you look to your right and you see a massive hole in the ground with a funny machine sticking out of it, and above there are spaceships battling it out, and there you still are, on the side-lines, doing the real work.

For me it's one of those rare games that impress me both from a developers POV and as a person experiencing what is supposed to be going on inside it. Very well directed indeed.

Also, the music is awesome

[edit]
I dont think the flood fit very well though

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 23:36
I don't like Halo, the MP is lame compared to PC and the single player is too bland. Not trying to rain on anyones Halo party, or anything.

[img]
[/img] Check out the Elite OPS Terrorstike thread in the showcase.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 00:40
Heck people, move along. It's 2008 ffs.

A13X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 06:23
I don't like sany of the Halos that much. Its a good game and I was hooked in the beginning (Halo CE on Xbox) but once I discovered what else was on offer as far as games were concerned, my opinion of it fell.

I think it's so popular simply because it's noob friendly. Sure in most deathmatch games, the pro will still win, but all of the duel weilding, sticky plasma grenades, vehicales, melee attack and the shield all give the noob at least a chance. Most people who play FPS are noobs, sorry just a fact. These people would much rather be beaten by 5 kills in Halo 3 then 50 on any other game. Face it, in CoD 4, a pro will get 7 kills within the first minute then call in the helicopter and get even more points for the kills that the chopper gets.

Im don't like Halo, I think that every aspect of it is way too overated but I will give it credit for it's success and simplicity.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't be bothered to read the entire thread but I do want to share my opinion on why Halo is so popular.

1. It came out at a good time. Vehicle physics and shader were just being introduced into the gaming world. Halo looked really nice for its time.

2. It was revolutionary as a console shooter. It added some nice gameplay elements and the controls were solid. Graphically it was great and it was pretty feature rich all around for its time.

3. It delivers a constant supply of the same kind of action whether you like it or not you have to admit it's pretty consistent. This is where it's bad to me. I'll get into that later.

4. It has a pretty good storlyine... at least it intrigues my writer friend who loves the books.

All those above things are well and good aside from one thing in my opinion. The action is downright dull. It's repetative which can be good if it's fun, but it really isn't to me... Not enough enemy types or something I guess. The weapons are kinda dull as well. I find that while the alien weapons come in handy sometimes I never want to leave behind my pistol or assault rifle because they are good for other things, so constantly dropping and picking up weapons in that game is annoying to me.

With all this said I'm only halfway through single player on Halo 1 so I could be wrong, but the game hasn't surprised me yet. It's same old same old so far. And I don't feel motivated to continue lol. I played the first level of Halo 3 and while it looked prettier it didn't feel much different so I'm worried

Oh yeah and Cortana's voice could be hotter.

I do like multiplayer Halo2 and 3 though. It's fun at least.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 07:58
Play Halo 1 till the end. Then, play Halo 2 till the end. Then, play Halo 3 till the end.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
The end doesn't always justify the means.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 19:11
In Halo's case, it really does. The story is superb.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 19:07
I would have played it longer if it werent for the ridiculously stupid looking and sounding aliens. Halo is dead to me, Half Life is GOD.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, Rami, I just got past the first run in with the Flood in Halo 1.

Stiiiilll pretty lame. The Flood was really fun for the first 15 minutes when it was a new surprise and twist, but after that it just got to be a nuisance. Guilty Spark leading you through that base just took forever on Heroic and got really tedious. I kept dying like crazy too. I must say my accuracy on console shooters is much better now though lol.

Black and Mercenaries are both looking really tempting. Just got 'em yesterday and I know they're both sweet games as I've played 'em before.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 13:48
Quote: "Most people who play FPS are noobs, sorry just a fact."

I take offense to that thank you very much, take every other genre out there and I've played it and smacked it down and most who have challenged me.

Agent D - Black is a very nice game, I enjoyed it thoroughly, it will seem pretty easy until halfway through the game, then it gets a little harder and way more fun.

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 01:23
Quote: "I would have played it longer if it werent for the ridiculously stupid looking and sounding aliens. Halo is dead to me, Half Life is GOD."

Wow.

No comment on that one.

@ Dink:

Both those games are fantastic, I've probably played Mercenaries four times through.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, can't wait to get into 'em.

@ Rami. I just finished Halo 1 today... was I supposed to be wowed at the end I dunno seemed same old same old all the way through ^_^

Halo 2 looks nicer as far as graphics and physics stuff is concerned so that's a plus. I hope it hold my attention longer with the action and storyline :\

I'm gonna take a break from Halo though and start Black tonight most likely.

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 22:10 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 21:34
Is this thread still going?

Halo is not for everyone. Some like more realistic shooters and some hate shooting games altogether. Half life may be GOD but it did not compare to the thrill I had whilst playing halo 3 (1 was alright - 2 was tedius).
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 22:22
Woah! Half Life 3!

You must come from the future!

Is the world still intact?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 22:33
I must admit that Halo's ending was bad. Prepare to meet an even less impressive ending in Halo 2. Luckily, Halo 3's ending is great .

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 07:59
I wouldn't know. I was playing Halo 3 co-op, and at the end of the last level my friend SKIPPED THE CUT SCENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He didn't even think about about it, and then he went "oh". So all I got to see was the thing at the end of the credits.

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 21:33
I ment Halo 3 - sorry.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 04:04
Bizar Guy... there's this technology called the internet. Youtube Halo 3 ending.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 04:22
no, I refuse.

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 07:52
I refuse to let you refuse!

Arvind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 07:04
in my opinion, the halo series is so popular because of its feel- everything in the game simply gels together, and while it isn't an innovative game (as in bioshock, mass effect), it combines many features to make it's unique brand of gameplay.

That's it really - gameplay is why halo is so cool, with multiplayer and co-op coming a close second.

The story, music, graphics are all secondary.......

(After writing this, I think that halo and windows (OS) are a lot similar......just a thought )

The nice thing about standards is, there are so many to choose from.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 13:02
I was angry when it was such a quick end.
It should have been more epic, like a huge battle between the spartans and the aliens or something.
But still i liked the game probably because of the great combination of sounds, music, gameplay and storyline.
You really felt that you where playing a big role in the battle for earth.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 00:00
Its popular because its fun to play with your friends. If it had no multiplayer (online or physical) then it probably wouldn't be popular. In my opinion, of course.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 02:31 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 02:35
I really don't understand Halo, and I've played all three (not all the way through). It doesn't suck, but it is way overhyped and sucks compared to what people say it is. The story isn't that great, the combat is way too unrealistic for me and repetitive. I love FPS's too, CoD4 and HL2 are great, but Halo is just...ordinary. Graphics are sub-par, and I don't like the controls much either. Everything about it is just ordinary to me, I've never been able to play for more than an hour at a time in any of the games because they just don't hold my interest. There isn't anything innovative about them either, no cool physics and puzzles like HL2, no awesome level design (feels way too linear) and multiplayer reward system like in CoD4, no massive maps with vehicles and aircraft like BF2. I hate having to unload a clip on someone while they jump and I jump around like rabbits and hitting them 20 times before killing them with an assault rifle, it should be 2 times at most. I know I'll be flamed for this, but...I just don't get it .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 02:37
Doesn't matter Gil, you're American. We understand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 14:16:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 14:16:22