Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / What is so good about Halo?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 22:28
Quote: "Except FarCry and Crysis, really. Impressive graphics-tech showreels -- boring games."

Give it a rest with that cliche. They're both really exiting and action-packed games.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 01:01
The whole point of a forum is healthy debate and discussion. Whats a debate without some passion behind the arguments? Arguing over the internet is awesome.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 01:21
No it isnt!
[jk]

Soroki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 02:05
This "healthy debate" has turned into an "I'm right, you're wrong, my opinion rocks, yours sucks" topic...everyone is arguing about nothing that really matters. I can understand a good debate, I enjoy one myself, but this thread has gone a bit overboard...

"I can't install things to my D:\ drive. Can you help me?"
"Just delete system32.dll. It should work fine after that"
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 03:01
I agree wholeheartedly.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 04:00
But it's left us a place to get out our steam and anger.

Soroki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 04:12
Do you need to let it out on other people? And I must say, are you SERIOUSLY angry over other people's opinions? Go let off steam in some FPS or something, or....play an instrument...something

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 04:18
No, but just on *some* certain opinions which I find rediculous. But lets not go there again.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 05:17 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 10:21
soroki: so now youre telling us what we can and cant say?
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 06:08
Quote: "Give it a rest with that cliche. They're both really exiting and action-packed games."

Wow, ZekeGames, that was a bit of a stupid reply seeing we just discussed everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you read Untitled, you know I agree Crysis is quite cool, but compared to the other titles Draknir_ listed, its nothing.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 13:03
I've played all those other titles (cept Hl1) and own most of them (not halo 2 and 3) and in my opinion crysis is the best. You don't have to agree, but it isn't "boring".

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 13:52
Actually, you're wrong. Crysis IS boring. You don't have to agree, but it IS boring. And you ARE wrong.

See how the above statement is annoying? Thats what you do the whole time. "sure you have an opinion, but its WRONG and im RIGHT." That gets annoying Zeke.
Soroki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 17:31
Quote: "soroki: so now youre telling us what we can and cant say? "

I never said what you can and cannot say, I am merely saying to stop acting like children. The whole "your opinion sucks" thing is getting old and it will NOT change anything...if you claim your opinion is correct and someone else's isn't, then look at the word "opinion" in that sentence...an opinion is nither right nor wrong.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 18:54
Right, obviously, but you have no say over how others act. This is a moderated forum, report it if you have a problem with it.
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 19:37 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 19:38
The only people arguing is that guy with the Lord of the rings picture, that was aguring against tha_rami for a while, people attacking draknir_'s weird post and Soroki.

We know that other people have opinions and yes we recognise it. That doesn't mean we have to like it or respect it. If you had to like and respect everyones opinion then there would never be debates and life would be very boring and government systems very perfetic. . . Oh wait thats true.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 19:49
Quote: "Give it a rest with that cliche. They're both really exiting and action-packed games."

It's my opinion -- not a cliché. But to me, they were definitely "exiting," after an hour, at the most...
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 22:28
It's a cliche common with all the people who either havn't played it or havn't played it long (like you're "hour"). They think it was invented purely for the graphics. The gameplay is why people play games...

@draknir_
Yeah, I get like that only on 2 sensitive topics to me. This is one of them, so I would naturally think your opinion here full of crap. I'm not even going to bother with that post.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 23:40
I played FarCry to the point where you are turned into a monkey. Then I never played it again. For Crysis, I played through the demo and didn't find anything that was particularly interesting.

Essentially, they're the same game. And all-in-all, they're very (read: VERY) impressive technical demonstrations. But in terms of game play, I never found them interesting enough to merit play-through.

If a game doesn't pique my interest -- why should I bother playing it?
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 00:27
Yup. I thought Crysis was cool, but besides the graphics I was not impressed at all. I'll take Deus Ex or Half Life, or basically, most FPS'es, rather than Crysis.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Ugh, you guys! Crysis was EPIC

^ my opinion ^

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 00:59 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 01:00
Good man, dink! For once someone who doesnt jump into the "Crysis has good graphics, so it must have crappy gameplay!" bandwagon, or the "Hey look, same developer, both on an island. It's just another far cry" Bandwagon.
Ocarina of time had amazing graphics for it's time and the gameplay was even better.

@others
Oh well, for your opinion. Im fine with you thinking that but to say it's just boring is... satanic.

I found half-life 2 fun, but not enough to play through more than once. I'm going through crysis 3rd or 4th time now, still awesome, still finding new things.

EDIT: GASP!!! you turn into a monkey in far cry! I didnt know that!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 01:45 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 01:46
I didn't say it was boring, but to me, it is compared to the other titles listed. I am not on any bandwagon and questioning the authority on which we base our judgment is not going to strengthen your own points.

In my opinion, Crysis was not EPIC, by the way. Halo was Epic. Deus Ex was. CoD4 is. Crysis was simply fun and nothing more than that. Definitely not worth a replay.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 02:21
I wasn't accusing you of stepping on the bandwagon, rami. Just some certain OTHERS out there. Your opinion, I thought halo and cod4 weren't near as epic (I own em both) but never played Deus Ex, so can't say anything about that.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 02:25
I thought the AI in Crysis was absolutely fantastic, I really did have to pay attention to the buggers or they would flank me then grenade me to death.

The graphics of course were great I didn't like the story too much but it was ok. The gameplay is fantastic imo. Not as good as COD4 but still damn good.

Halo 1 & 3 I found alright (though the multiplayer was the most fun out of all of them, not a fan of the single player), but crysis and COD4 was better in terms of single player imo. Deus Ex beats the crap out of all of them, put together, twice. With cake. And Pie.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 02:38
I personally liked the gameplay of crysis to cod4 because of the sandbox style gameplay crysis has, the open - ended levels and intensity.

*looks up deus ex on gamespot* So... A 2000 shooter with an 8.something? What makes this so good? (curious).

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 02:54
Very intense storyline that really gets you involved with many choices that actually matter, innovative rpg-fps gameplay, brilliant graphics at the time, many ways to complete missions and just very fun. It's one of the best games i've ever played.

Whoever gave it an 8/10 doesn't deserve cake or pie. Its infinitely better than halo (which got 9 wth). It just IS 42/10.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 03:50
Ill buy it sometime if I remember. I invite the next person to post to get back on topic.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 14:37 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 14:43
I personally think reviewers are way too generous with their review points. Every hyped sequel for the last few years has received 90+ scores.

Not a single game in this discussion is really "original" in the "introducing something new"-sense of the word. Most of them just copy features from each other. It's the graphical design that's different.

And I don't remember what FarCry called the monkey, but it definiltely looked like one. Also, there are plenty of articles written about "open-endedness." Enough for anyone to realize that smart tunneling and the illusion of open-endedness is still restrictive and is still tunneling.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 15:04
Yeah, Far cry is less open ended than crysis. The reason it looked like a monkey is because it was a genetically mutated one.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 15:18
Well, there's really no need for anyone to defend a game, I think. In the end, the opinions that people have come from actually playing said games -- not from discussing them.

I think it's highly unlikely that anyone will roll over and surrender just because you say they're "wrong" in any sense of the word.

People have different opinions. I, for one, don't continue playing games that fail to entertain me. But this doesn't mean that the same games didn't entertain someone else.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 17:47
I know people wont change their mind. I argue anyway.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 00:17
First of all, I apologize for the bump.

Second of all, I personally think some of you are fanboys. Saying that Halo, Half-Life, Crysis, etc. are great is really fanboyish. Give it a rest. Your opnion will affect others, so what? What about the other, lesser known games out there: Splinter Cell (the first one was best in series, IMO); Rainbow Six series; a bunch of other old, high-scorers. Give it a break, it seems noobish to argue about a freaking video game when you could be arguing about gas prices and the Race for '08. I agree, Halo is over-hyped, but also Half-Life, FarCry, Crysis, etc. Stop acting so fanboyish, make up, and cut this crap out. Alright?

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 00:34
It was over. I like all of those games, I'm arguing over which I like BETTER.

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 00:56
That bump is increadably hypocritical. Bumping a dying thread to tell people to stop arguing. We have. We need sleep now.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 01:08
Indeed. Hopefully you didn't spark anything up.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 01:23
I was just voicing my opinion. The argument's over? I need to read a bit more better.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 01:39
Well, the main part. The milder, argue-over-arguments part wasn't exactly.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 04:04
Quote: "First of all, I apologize for the bump.

Second of all, I personally think some of you are fanboys. Saying that Halo, Half-Life, Crysis, etc. are great is really fanboyish. Give it a rest. Your opnion will affect others, so what? What about the other, lesser known games out there: Splinter Cell (the first one was best in series, IMO); Rainbow Six series; a bunch of other old, high-scorers. Give it a break, it seems noobish to argue about a freaking video game when you could be arguing about gas prices and the Race for '08. I agree, Halo is over-hyped, but also Half-Life, FarCry, Crysis, etc. Stop acting so fanboyish, make up, and cut this crap out. Alright?"

What bullcrap. I'm Dutch, and I discuss your "Race for '08" all day. Just as I discuss the Islamic religion, gas prices, the War on Terror and the Palestine/Israeli situation all day long. Now I get to the one place where I can discuss lighter topics and you go and tell me I seem noobish for discussing it?

You, yourself, sound like a fanboy with your Splinter Cell/Rainbow Six. Actually, you sound a bit frustrated that they're not mentioned anymore. A bit nostalgic, maybe?

In any case: I think all the games mentioned before own Splinter Cell, and that was a pretty good game. If you disagree, you can argue about that here.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
And Kirby's Adventure for NES pwns every game mentioned thus far

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 05:27
ew, nintendo
:F
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 10:56
Quote: "What about the other, lesser known games out there: Splinter Cell (the first one was best in series, IMO); Rainbow Six series"

I wouldn't exactly call Splinter Cell or Rainbow Six "lesser known games" in any sense of the word. If you were playing Nosferatu: Wrath of Malakhai or Penumbra, I'd agree that it was a sleeper game. And Penumbra does alot of things that Half-Life 2 tries to do, except it does it better. Again: in my opinion.

Really: I'd suggest you download and try Penumbra. It lacks in its presentation, as it's done by four spare-time developers, but it's a really interesting little first-person adventure game.

http://frictionalgames.com/penumbra
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 13:08
Quote: "ew, nintendo"

I love my Wii.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 13:33
Quote: "I love my Wii."

I played a lot of Wii Sports when the console had been freshly released. Though this is completely unrelated to Halo, I'd definitely say that I think the console will meet the same end as the GameCube, which is a niche console reserved for Nintendo-players.

Because I still have yet to see a good game on the platform. =/

Then again, apart from Uncharted, the same goes for the PS3...
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 14:44
Quote: "A bit nostalgic, maybe?"

Actually, yes. Ever heard of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault? Don't play online much due to mods and crap, but I still play singe-player.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 22:23
Quote: "Because I still have yet to see a good game on the platform."

Brawl, galaxy, and twilight princess are out.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 00:57
Penumbra is cool .

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 01:16
...never heard of it. I'll look it up sometime though.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 13:20
Quote: "Brawl, galaxy, and twilight princess are out."

Never liked either series, to be honest. But I'm playing Twilight Princess on the GameCube. Find the Wii-controller way too fiddly for single-player.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 13:37
Idk, I own em all, didn't play them more than a couple minutes though.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 18:50 Edited at: 19th Apr 2008 18:52
Quote: "What is so good about Halo?"

Is it the cinnamon swirl in every byte?

Quote: "Brawl, galaxy, and twilight princess are out."

You forgot No More Heroes, Okami, Metroid Prime 3, Zak and Wiki, and so on. There are actually a lot of good games for the Wii. And there's a new shooter being made for it that actually looks next gen. Check Ign, they've got an article.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 19:51:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 19:51:25