Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Vision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 16:37 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2008 16:38
Think I found the easter egg...

But there is ONE thing that really bother me. Please make the game movements timer based. Please!

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 17:48
@ Mr Z
Yeh I will do it, eventually, I'm just kinda pinned down with revision now. >_< So progress on Vision will be slightly slowed.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 18:58 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2008 18:59
No problem. As long as it is fixed to the final release, I am happy. It is just so annoying having to look into the ground at some places to feel like I´m coming somewhere. But take your time, do not stress, do whatever other things you have to do, and it will be well done .

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 22:58
Version 0.12 (04/04 build)

This update includes the following:
1. Finished sector C. (Part 3.)
2. Added music for the aftermath of the plasma ignition.
3. Fixed a map bug with sector B after the ignition (Part 2.)
4. Centered the mouse so people with duel screen don't get angry at me.
5. Made it so you can't see the easter egg unless you are actually in the room with it. (This will be done to all walls eventually so that people don't utilize the see-through-wall bug.)

As usual, Vision can be downloaded from here:
Vision 0.12.zip

Screenshot:

Me testing the amazing puzzle in sector C.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 00:18
Ohh, nice. I do like the music, did you make it yourself?
<God, I sound like a mother>

Lee Bamber - Blame Beer
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 01:03
@ Insert Name Here
Nope, the music is by Moonlit, a friend of Joe.

Joeeigel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 01:04 Edited at: 5th Apr 2008 01:35
No, A friend of mine is into making music, He was working on a song that I thought fitted, and well, I sent it to Cowbox, My friend finished it up, and put we put it in.

Expect more from him in the game in the future.

His name - Moonlit.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 02:58 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 02:58
Mini-update

Just to let people know, this thread isn't dead xD.

I'm currently starting work on sector D (part 4) where I'm hoping we'll see some of the corporation sabotagers & the first in-game weapon.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 12:26 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 12:26
Good to hear progress . Keep up the good work!

Awaiting the next version (or if you choose to wait until it is all done, release the full version, but I hope for the previous one). This game is .

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 14:15
@ Mr Z
Well just a word of warning, the game will eventually be a selling product so at some point I am planning to stop the updates and continue on my own. I may return to this WIP for beta testers eventually but after that it should be available to buy from Soharix.

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 17:33 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 17:34
Whether or not you plan to sell it you should continue posting updates. Just don't post the updated version of the game. I am sure many would still be interested to hear any news about the game. I know I would.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 20:24
@ Jerok
I guess, but then again, it would give parts of it away and everyone would already know whats in the final version when they bought it.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, you can always post to an point, about when things get really funny and exiting, and then say that that version will be an demo. But just as you know, I would gladly be an beta tester.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 02:27 Edited at: 7th Jun 2008 14:34
@ Everyone
For those of you who will be looking for updates etc. don't get your hopes up. Due to an ongoing revision timetable I must stick to, I am suspending all work on Vision until the 17th of June.

Sorry all.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 02:52
Two months, ouch. Well, hopefully this doesn't die and you'll be back working on it soon.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 17:47 Edited at: 7th Jun 2008 14:34
It'll all be worth it after the 17th of June, because not only will I then have 2 and a half months afterwards to work on it as much as I like, I'll also have a decent set of GCSEs.

Joeeigel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2008 18:48 Edited at: 28th May 2008 19:23
Deleted.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2008 19:19 Edited at: 28th May 2008 20:21
[Edited out]

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2008 05:33
Quote: "Deleted."

Quote: "[Edited out]"

Did I miss somthing? Lol, I guess we will just wait till the 15th.

I'm Pro grammer.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 23:50 Edited at: 7th Jun 2008 14:34
@ DB PROgrammer
Nevermind, was just a misunderstanding.

Anyway, as I am making this post before the 17th of June, I thought I'd test out the new sig too.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 01:33
Nice, big and clourfull.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2008 14:33
@ Everyone
I know it has been a long 2 months (and I know they aren't over yet) but I just want to say that I'm pushing the official restart date of Vision forward to the 17th of June. This is due to the fact I've been invited to a LAN and well, I haven't been to one in quite a while now.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 00:00
No prob

I'm Pro grammer.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 05:06
Nice work I'm looking forward to seeing this game progress, the demo was pretty entertaining ^^.

I think teh drones should move a bit faster and have a larger LOS, right now they aren't very threatening.

This is a random sentence about squirrels.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 13:40 Edited at: 8th Jun 2008 15:54
@ Phosphoer
Ah don't worry, the drones aren't meant to be threatenning. xD - Think of them as say, - the headcrabs from Half Life.

There will be greater threats later...

@ Everyone
By the way, I know I've been keeping quiet for the past 2 months and I've recently started talking. This is because I have done all but my last exam (14 out of 15 I believe) and I can now relax more.

I will do this exam on the 12th then my PC is being taken to a LAN at my brothers house on the 13th while I go to a party. (because its the end of school) The LAN will end on the 16th and I will continue Vision probably that night, but officially on the 17th.

But yeh, after all that I should be reletively free to continue Vision.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 21:24
Gotcha, I shall look forward to said greater threats ^^.

This is a random sentence about squirrels.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:47
Quote: "greater threats"

No singing neurotoxin-spraying super computer, thank you!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 23:37
@ zzz
Aww man - whats wrong with a singing neurotoxin-spraying super computer? xD

No don't worry... - the game is going more along the lines of Half Life, so expect a big fat baby sat on a floating potty firing teleporters and sparky-balls at you. xD (Jokes...)

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 05:25
After around 2 months of waiting, Vision is finally back on schedule! (I've been waiting to say that for a long time now.)

To prove that Vision is back on schedule and to showcase the current improvements, I am releasing version 0.13.

Version 0.13 (17/06 build)

This update includes the following:
1. An intro.
2. Changed basic storyline.
3. Actually mapped out where the game is going.
4. Remodelled first 2 levels. (So the game went from being 4 levels long in 0.12 to 2 levels long in 0.13.)
5. Redone tasks (because the "Mark 2 personal task reminder", was a bit cheesey. xD)
6. Added GPS for tasks and future objectives.
7. Improved geometry in the facility in the respect that this one looks like a research facility, whereas before it looked like a long winding tunnel with a few doors and a bridge.

Vision 0.13.zip

Extra information regarding the update:
1. The update still includes the old levels, that may or may not work. :S They can be accessed by pressing either 1, 2, 3 or 4 on the main menu but they are being totally scrapped.
2. This version of the game allows you to see the "operator". - He is the closest sitting NPC on the observation area in the room you start in (the guy with brown hair).
3. This version includes new objects that make it look a bit more interesting. E.G. Microscopes and OHPs (Over-Head Projectors)
4. This version shows the map of the Vision complex. - The map was originally drawn in Paint by me just so I could plan what I was doing with the game, then I thought, I might as well put it in the game and give the player something to help understand it all.
5. The intro shows the rough location of the Vision complex. (The intro is also not complete.)
6. The game has been redesigned to look like it is underground in some places. The clear first example of this is the B access route, where there is a large chasm and a walkway through it.
7. Along with the redesigned geometry, I took the liberty to redesign the lifts because in the old version they looked very basic and kind of tacky. (There was also only ever 1 lift... - now there are several at a time which is much more likely in a facility of this scale.)
8. The redesigning of the game features the shift from B. Labs to A1. Labs. This was done because rather than going through all the levels with no gun, getting one in sector G (from the low-level security personel) and getting to use it about once, I made it so you would have to go straight to sector G, get the gun and play up through the levels to get out in A2. Labs.

Screenshots:

This was sector D before I redesigned all the levels, so you can ignore this screenshot.

Showing off the holomap and the ever-stupid NPCs.

Before the plasma ignition.

After the plasma ignition.

During the intro, on the way up to the Vision complex.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 05:40
Download doesn't work

I'm Pro grammer.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 05:46 Edited at: 17th Jun 2008 05:47
@ DB PROgrammer

Lol, I was hoping everyone would be asleep or at work or something while I posted this so I'd have time to upload it before anyone tried downloading it.

Nevertheless, I am pleased you are so keen on Vision xD

It is still uploading, please give it a try in 5 to 10 minutes or so.

(My first post on this WIP says at the bottom what to look out to tell if I am uploading:
If when trying to download the file, you see:
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. then don't worry, it just means either that I'm still uploading it, or the Homestead server is temporarily down. If this should occur, try again in a little bit.
)

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 07:40
I just downloaded this and tried to run it. I got an error box that popped up and said:

Quote: "Invalid PhysX runtime - check drivers are installed"

Well, I have just recently installed the latest drivers, so that's not the problem here.

I'm running Windows Vista, and after I initially got the error I had the program set up to run as administrator and had the compatability set to Windows XP SP2.

Not sure what's wrong. Just thought I'd let you know, because I want to play this, it looks like a great game.

The one and only,

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 16:58 Edited at: 17th Jun 2008 19:18
@ Plystire
Well, although I am concerned, I don't really know what I can suggest.

Maybe someone here is a user of Vista and knows about Dark BASIC Pro compatability or PhysX compatability?

(Also just as a precaution, you may want to check you do have the latest drivers again.)

@ Everyone

If anyone knows, can they please advise Plystire. Thank you.

Mini-update

Since the release of version 0.13 I've been trying out the good old reflective and refractive water and got better results (due to a correct FOV for all cameras) but it is still laggy and screws up the culling system, so I'm afraid unless I can get help from someone regarding these 2 problems, it won't be in the game.

The screenshots I collected for the water follow:

The water sort of working in the training centre.

The water at a very low resolution in the main access junction outside A. Labs. (128)

The water at a very hight resolution in the main access junction outside A. Labs. (1024)

The culling system not working in the main access junction. Shown in the fact that the A from the A1 sign, is missing and the holographic pad is missing from under the holomap. Etc...

I've also been attempting to get the timer based movement working. It was going OK but due to the fact that tutorial I'm following was written wrong, I'm a bit stuck and the robot either moves far too fast or far too slow.

(I am following DB PROgrammer's tutorial posted on: page 3, 3rd post down.)

If anyone is able to assist with anything, please contact me or post here.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 20:41
Quote: "And now a timer based movement tutorial.

First we need to set a base framerate.(Pick whatever you think you need, I would say 60)

This goes somewhere before the main loop...

Global FrameRate as Integer : FrameRate=60
Global CurrentRate as Integer
Global MovementMultiplier as Float

Now before you movement commands...

CurrentRate=Timer()
MovementMultiplier=CurrentRate/FrameRate

Now in your movement commands say you base speed if you where running at 60fps was 6

if upkey()=1
move object 1,6*MovementMultiplier
endif

Ect, ect, ect...

I hope you understood this, don't know how good I am at explaining."

Sorry about that I think the problem is that

should be

Just switch the values around.

I'm Pro grammer.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 20:54
@ DB PROgrammer
Hmm, well I have tried that but it is really jittery and the robot moves too fast. :S

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 21:51
Wow, that code is really messed up Try this(hope I got it right now)

At the top:

Above movement commands:

Movement example:

And last but not least a test program:

I'm Pro grammer.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 21:56 Edited at: 17th Jun 2008 22:06
@ DB PROgrammer
Ok, well, it works, but it still moves faster when looking at the floor. xD

Mini-update
Just to let people know that we changed the texture on the physics boxes and we're going to be adding green boxes (ammo for some guns) and red boxes (ammo for other guns) just to brighten the levels up from being purely grey, blue and orange.

Screenshot:

The boxes in the surgery with the new texture.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 22:04
Really? Hmm... It seems to work in my example program. I can't think of what it could be. Does it seem to work at all or does it just not mess it up?

I'm Pro grammer.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 22:07
@ DB PROgrammer
It just doesn't seem like its skipping movement processing as it should be. It just feels like it is doing exactly what it was before when the FPS drops to around 30. (Where everything just moves slower.)

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 22:19
Are you sure you updated all the code with the new code? The way I see it,if you set rate is 60(framerate) and your FPS is 30(currentrate) and you divide framerate by currentrate(60/30) your movement MovementMultiplier would be 2 which seems right. I would go through it and make sure all the code is updated, if it still doesn't work then I have no idea what the problem is because my example program does work.

I'm Pro grammer.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 22:32
@ DB PROgrammer
I think it is something to do with the fact that I don't know what values I'm supposed to multiply. I've done it to all the ones I can think of, but I can't generate enough lag to test if things are moving twice as quick. Nevertheless, the jitteryness has stopped so it will be in version 0.14 for anyone with a general FPS of 30 to test out. Thanks for your help.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 22:36
Your welcome Just an idea you could simulate lag by making it so pressing a certin button you could toggle a sync rate of 15 or 0.

I'm Pro grammer.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 23:04
I downloaded v0.13 thinking "what is this? a game about robots?! :/"
But after I played it, I thought it was awesome!

I want to play the whole game soon. It has that "tense exploration adventure" feel to it that few games have. I love those games that have it (thief,system shock 2).

This definetly have the potential to become a great game. At least in my opinion.

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 23:20
@ DB PROgrammer
I may try that. But it could just be me not actually seeing what I'm supposed to be seeing. xD

@ Lukas W
Thank you, I'm GLaD it has that feeling, for that is the kind of feel I was going for.

(As for it being about robots, you're actually more likely to see humans in the game but yeh, there will be other robots yet to come. But I can't reveal everything.)

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 00:20
Yea, keep up the good work! I will keep an eye out on this for sure .

Btw, if you don't mind me asking:
About the camera collision, (you are using 3rd person perspective), how did you do that? Simply call a raycast and if it intersect with the walls/level then position the camera at the collision point?
I am trying to figure out how to do this with my game (not 3rd person perspective, but when the player leans left/right), but so far I only have ideas.

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 03:16
@ Lukas W
I used to do it with the set camera to follow command and just do an intersection ray from the character to the camera, but it didn't work to well, and was kind of sloppy, so I just coded my own version of that command that didn't have the smoothing and did a more accurate intersection.

The intersection isn't perfect because you can see through some walls if you get the angle right but it works well enough if you get the values right and just move the camera forward a little bit after you determine the intersection.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 19:04 Edited at: 19th Jun 2008 19:44
Version 0.14 (19/06 build)

This isn't a huge update but it includes the following:
1. Reworked geometry throughout the game.
2. Reworked textures throughout the game.
3. Reduced size.
4. GPS for both levels so far.
5. The duff GPS has been taken out of the Vision training centre.
6. Timer based movement (Finally...) xD

Vision 0.14.zip

Screenshots:

Some of the reworked geometry and new textures on the intro.

Some of the new textures in the surgery.

Joeeigel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 21:07 Edited at: 19th Jun 2008 21:12
Known bugs:

You are able to jump the trigger zone of the explosion.

You are able to make the intro never load the game.

There is an object is missing at line 566.

The first two are fixed.

The third is currently the end of the game, and will remain so untill level 3 is ready for testng.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 15:46 Edited at: 20th Jun 2008 15:46
Mini-update
Joe and I have come to the conclusion that, due to a lack of posting on our WIP, either everyone is working very hard on their own projects (or at their jobs) or there is a conspiracy against us! xD!

Nevertheless, I am going to post this Mini-update in the faint hope that our previous regular posters and fans:
DB PROgrammer
tha_rami
Virtual Nomad
Insert Name Here
Jeff032
Mr Z
Gil Galvanti
jason p sage

- come back and re-activate Vision's WIP.

This update features the fact that I've now finished the introduction (bar a few tweaks to the planet's modelling) and I can now move onto the G. Labs, where you go after the explosion.

The update also showcases the fact that I completely re-did the map in the main access junction and replaced it with a full 3D hologram, once I discovered the command disable object zwrite which allowed the inside of the object to be seen.

Here are some screenshots:

The 3rd part of the intro.

The amazing holomap.

White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 19:53
Hello Your game is looking good and glad your starting this again

I'm a noob help will be accepted

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 09:32:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 09:32:17