Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Forum President Elections

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 22:26
Yeah, I just looked. You're lying. There are only 2 votes. I refreshed the page 3 times. You didn't vote at all.
I gotta go, be back tomorrow.

www.threeswordsproductions.com
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 22:29
Quote: "Yeah, I just looked. You're lying. There are only 2 votes. I refreshed the page 3 times. You didn't vote at all.
I gotta go, be back tomorrow."

That's just even further proof that we shouldn't do the voting on your site; it shows different results for different people!

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 22:50
ZackS28
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 22:59
When I looked out my window I saw this...

Vote Rock/Dink!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:01
Um, you spelt his name wrong in your image
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:05
Quote: "When I looked out my window I saw this... "

Whoa! You live on a sidewalk next to an office building?

ZackS28
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:06
Whoops! Lol, oh well.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:10 Edited at: 19th Nov 2008 23:11
if you dont vote deathead then i will come round your house and kill you.

if you do vote deathead then you get to play ONE beta 10 on december 1st (everyone else will have to wait another year)

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:12
Quote: "if you dont vote deathead then i will come round your house and kill you.

if you do vote deathead then you get to play ONE beta 10 on december 1st"

Touch choice...I'll take the killing, please.

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:13
Will everyone stop assuming they can do their own polls? Do you not think I've already thought about this? THIS is how the polls will work:

I will set up a site with a poll app with a list of candidates at the cut-off time. You will be able to vote once and only once. The polls will be kept private until the president is announced, so as to stop bandwagon voting. Any other poll will be unofficial and invalid. (although I appreciate the effort) Voting will begin some time in the next week or so. Again, I want to make sure we can squeeze as much out of this thread and it's candidates as possible before voting opens. It will open when I choose to open it (or when the angry mob outside my house smashes down the gates, for which Deathead can naturally be blamed to the full extent of the law)

I may or may not rig the elections in my favour.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:17
AndrewT, ill change it a bit then

if you dont vote deathead, i will come round your house and kill you. if your name is andrew t and you didnt vote deathead, then your death will be much more slower and painfuller and you will be forced to play ONE beta 10 for 10 hours and after that, get hung, drawn and quartered.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:17
Vote Alucard or you die. Simple as that.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:19
I gotta know, what's the deal with that Alucard? Vote OR die? You dissapoint me.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:24
Quote: "I gotta know, what's the deal with that Alucard? Vote OR die? You dissapoint me."

He leaves out the really bad part.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:26
Quote: "if you dont vote deathead, i will come round your house and kill you. if your name is andrew t and you didnt vote deathead, then your death will be much more slower and painfuller and you will be forced to play ONE beta 10 for 10 hours and after that, get hung, drawn and quartered."

Aww crap, that sucks...I'll take the killing, please.

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:27
And AndrewT, same thing! Vote OR die! Ridiculous!

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:29
Quote: "Vote OR die! Ridiculous!"

Actually, I'm supporting Matt Ordie. "Ordie" is Matt Rock's secret alias.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:29 Edited at: 19th Nov 2008 23:30
why vote matt? hes obviously far too busy doing things for misoft, do you think that he will beable to be the forum president at the same time?

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:32
Considering the job duties involve...

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:34 Edited at: 19th Nov 2008 23:51
Karl Says:
vote for deathead

Outscape Says:
vote for deathead

Karl = God
Outscape follow Karl.

Karl = and Outscape = if Deathead wins
Karl = and Outscape = if Deathead looses

Save an Outscape today
Vote for Deathead

www.freewebs.com/outscape
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:35
Who the hell is Karl? Where did he come from?

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:47
Quote: "Could you please provide proof? I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just asking to see what you've done so I can better argue my point."

The yearly Text Adventure Competition, for starters. Organizing community functions, such as my birthday online gaming party last December. A long history of helping new forum members get acquainted with the policies of this community and the ins/ outs of game development, as opposed to just insulting them like some others choose to do. If you want more proof you should subscribe to the MISoft Studios quarterly newsletter .

Quote: "When I looked out my window I saw this"

Dude, those picketers look like they're coming toward your house, I'd get out of there before the bongos show up!

Quote: "I will set up a site with a poll app with a list of candidates at the cut-off time."

Sorry Pus, but the community has spoken. We don't want it held on any third-party website or via a third-party application. We need validation that only TGC members are voting, and that they aren't all new registrations. And that you aren't rigging the election, as you've already claimed you plan to do, lol. I think it was Alucard who said this was the most serious non-serious thread ever, lol. Some of us really want to see the results of this (and not just because we're ahead in the polls, lol).

Again, I propose we start voting on November 25th and end it on December 1st. Voting takes place in a TGC Geek Culture thread under heavy moderator supervision to ensure no one is cheating. You need to be registered with a join date of November 7th 2008 or earlier in order to vote. You can only vote for a ticket that announced their candidacy in this thread prior to November 25th. You can vote for yourself once. You can only vote once and you cannot change your vote. Mods only get one vote each, just like the rest of us. And no secret ballots... everyone can see everyone else's votes so there won't be any confusion in counting the ballots.

Who agrees with me that this is the most fraud-free method of voting suggested so far? I'm sorry Pus, but just because you started the thread doesn't mean your design is flawless. If the community wants a fair election (and people are calling for that), the election will be held without your consent .

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 23:49 Edited at: 19th Nov 2008 23:52
@ matt, it isnt a real election. and i dont think that one of the people who are running should be planning it.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 00:02
If someone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears . This is the only way we can do this without any fraud involved whatsoever. And just because it isn't serious/ doesn't grant any real powers doesn't mean the final results should be fraudulent. If we lose (which looks very, very doubtful) or win, I want to know that we lost or won FAIRLY. And besides, a candidate issuing the rules doesn't make it more or less legitimate. If we held this on the MISoft forum, THAT would make it less legitimate, lol. This thread has been around for nearly two weeks, people want to vote and be done with it, lol.

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
btw it doesnt matter who i vote for
either way im gona die
lol
everyone is saying vote blah or die so either way i gota die... or vote for everyone

lolz

www.freewebs.com/outscape
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 00:07
Quote: "everyone is saying vote blah or die so either way i gota die... or vote for everyone"

But if you support Matt you'll receive 24/7 body guard protection. So I guess the only way to live is to vote for Matt.

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 00:42 Edited at: 20th Nov 2008 00:53
Quote: "I will set up a site with a poll app with a list of candidates at the cut-off time."

No. Like AndrewT pointed out, people will be able to commit voter fraud easily by deleting their cookies.
Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 01:01 Edited at: 20th Nov 2008 01:01

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 01:23
OK. Omega, I'm not going against you here, but I do agree with the people of TGC that the votes be held here.

@ Everyone:

VOTE FOR US!! WE HAVE COOKIES!! AND ICE CREAM!!!

VOTE NOW!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 03:22
Oh my you people are taking this *way* too seriously for what is, essentially, a fake election.

Don't mind me, I'm just a casual observer with a giant mug of coffee.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Me? I'm just having fun, but I do think that Omega is taking this rather seriously.

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 05:17 Edited at: 20th Nov 2008 05:17
Jeku! (EDIT) I mean, do you support Omega and I? PLEASE?

VOTE NOW!
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 07:20 Edited at: 20th Nov 2008 07:21
This is probably just a joke thread. I mean, I wouldn't want to send people I don't like to camps where they will be tortured and incinerated would I?

... Would I? Vote Alucard.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 09:10
Yes. Yes you would. But really, who could blame you?

You sir have the moral ambivalence of a mutated shrimp!
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 16:03
OK, I've reconsidered the voting process. I see your point that people don't want third party non-TGC polls. So, I WILL hold voting in Geek Culture. I will make a new thread with a very specific set of conditions for posting. (Sort of a one post, one vote thing.) The date is still undecided but the 25th actually seems pretty convenient, as I wanted to start it in the next week or so. That will be decided soon though. Each voting member will get only one vote and candidates can vote for anyone, inculding themselves. (Naturally.) Anyone who joined after 7th November (The date this thread was made) will not be inculded in the vote. (Sorry to the honest newbies about that.) To re-iterate, there will be a cut-off date for candidates to join the election. The following day, I will make the voting thread. You will be able to cast a vote for any of the listed candidates. You'll get the little details when the thread goes up, but this should give you an idea of what to expect.

NOTE TO ALL CANDIDATES: Over the next few days, be sure to e-mail me (tsoakley@gmail.com) And include your election tagline or motto, (eg: Vote Pus and die) an overview of where you stand on the issues and a one-line sentence saying why you would make a good TGC President. These will be included in the voting thread and are mandatory.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 16:49 Edited at: 20th Nov 2008 16:54
I'm actually considering pulling out of the race. I think I'd make a much better president than Matt Rock, who at this point will almost definitely win. However, the voters seem to think differently, and, for whatever reason, they seem to want Matt Rock for president. I'm fairly certain that, by this point, my candidacy is a lost cause. So, I MAY pull out and give my support to another candidate. (Someone who is NOT Matt Rock)
Matt, I agree you have experience and have proven that you can do well on these forums, but I simply don't agree with your methods.
Problem: n00bs and trolls
My solution: Kill them with fire.
Your solution: Try and reeducate them, and make them productive members of the forums.
My solution may seem a little harsh, but your solution is downright impossible. You CANNOT re-train a n00b or a troll. Even if you take away his club, his bridge, and, heck even his computer, he will still be a troll all the way. And n00bs? They are born n00bs, and you cannot make them any different than that.
Problem: Too many stupid, pointless, and irritating threads.
My solution: Eliminating n00bs and trolls will drastically reduce the amount of bad threads.
Your solution: Ban lolcatz and allow the "re-trained" n00bs and trolls to post. Even if they aren't INTENTIONALLY being n00b-ish or troll-y, they will still inadvertently break the rules and enrage our members. It is their nature. A "reformed" n00b will make a thread asking if making that thread is noob-ish!
Problem:Not enough quality projects for the WIP/Program announcements boards.
My solution:Eliminating n00bs and trolls will make productive users more willing to post their work, and a lack of n00bs will give them more time to work on their projects
Your solution:I don't recall you having a solution to this one, but please, correct me if one wrong. (which I probably am on this one.)

These are just a few of the issues where i believe I am clearly the superior candidate. However, it is what the voters think that matters. If they elect you, then so be it. I hope you do well.

But let me say this Matt:
If you ARE elected, and you screw it up, I will personally see to it that you are banned from the internet for all time. I promise you that. Whoever gets elected will have a rare chance to do some real good for the forums. If you waste that chance, you will regret the day you registered.

Yodaman Jer, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your support, but I fear we've probably lost, my friend.
Don't worry, I'll still get you some ice cream. I'll even put a cherry on top.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 17:29
Quote: "Try and reeducate them, and make them productive members of the forums.
My solution may seem a little harsh, but your solution is downright impossible. You CANNOT re-train a n00b or a troll. Even if you take away his club, his bridge, and, heck even his computer, he will still be a troll all the way. And n00bs? They are born n00bs, and you cannot make them any different than that.
Problem: Too many stupid, pointless, and irritating threads."

Wrong, look at Zeus (I'll refrain from using the term 'noob' it's too derogatory) as an example of these forums. DrewG learned to behave, then kept exploding - if he only didn't lose his temper, then he wouldn't be permanently banned.

On other forums, we've utilised the human of some trolls to encourage them as entertainers and they get along and on a religious forum we managed to get them involved in real debate instead of trolling.

Quote: "And n00bs? They are born n00bs, and you cannot make them any different than that."

Rubbish, noob, or newb is just 'newbie' they tend to be new to the forums (or forums in general), to game creation or even life itself. They can learn if you approach them properly. If you attack them, then it's like fighting fire with petrol. It's all about how you communicate with people.

Quote: "Eliminating n00bs and trolls will make productive users more willing to post their work, and a lack of n00bs will give them more time to work on their projects"

Untrue, look at the WIP section, how many trolls or newbies do you see putting people off from posting projects? DO trolls newbies keep people away from working on their projects?

Quote: "Problem: Too many stupid, pointless, and irritating threads.
My solution: Eliminating n00bs and trolls will drastically reduce the amount of bad threads."

Not really, last time I checked it was regular users making most of these threads, who aren't newbies or trolls. Unless you're calling the thread start, pus in boots a troll or a noob? I'm sure he'd appreciate that. I'd say it, but not to his face, the man is a psychopath - have you seen his kittens?

It seems your newbies and trolls campaign isn't going to get you your votes, Matt Rock has the only true vision of a brighter, more...No, sorry I can't do this, it's just too silly. Even for me.

Vote Matt Rock, then when my Empire invades the forums you will not be tortured. Vote Matt Rock and my Empire will recruit you and you'll be on the winning side for once.

You sir have the moral ambivalence of a mutated shrimp!
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 18:17 Edited at: 20th Nov 2008 18:24
I think Pus' suggestion is very sensible and fair, and I think it's great that he's volunteering to make the thread. I'm happy with a November 25th start date.

Also - it seems as though Omega's policies are based upon a "we are better, they are inferior, and that will never change". While this may be true of some users (ugh, that ghastly "book is stupid" thread) I think that people generally prefer an understandnig president who stands... for... eqaulll...

Yes. Seppuku and I shall fall upon you with hordes of angry Norsemen and Anglo-Saxon warriors. Steeped in wyrd, sweords thrashing - watch my wyrm-dracnes steeping you all in flame!

*cough* yes. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the writing cabinet.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 18:20
What will the president acctually do? He/she will have no powers at all.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 18:37 Edited at: 20th Nov 2008 18:37
I have said this multiple times, but I will explain it again.

A "n00b" is a user who, regardless of how long he/she has been a member, never has any idea what they are doing. They unintentionally break the rules, because remembering the AUP is too much for them. They always ask incredibly stupid questions, and give even stupider answers to others' questions. There is no changing a n00b.

A "Newbie" or Newb" is a user who is new to a forum or game or whatever. He/she is only a newb until he/she learns the rules and begins to function properly on his/her own.

A true troll is just a nasty person, who takes joy in torturing others. Their only goal in life is to irritate other users and start flame wars. They are just nasty, miserable, evil people.
Maybe a troll will act civilized for a few moments to post seriously in a thread that genuinely interests them, but after that, they are back to their one true love: trolling.

YOU CANNOT CHANGE A N00B OR A TROLL. I CANNOT BE DONE, AND IF YOU THINK YOU'VE DONE IT, THEN IT WASN'T A TRUE N00B OR TROLL.

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 18:39
Quote: "I'm sure he'd appreciate that. I'd say it, but not to his face, the man is a psychopath - have you seen his kittens?"

What of them!? I've trained my kitties to be aggressive only when I desire them to be. They are disciplined and loyal. Not to mention their nine lives make them practically invulnerable in combat.

Quote: "What will the president acctually do? He/she will have no powers at all."

True, but if he milks it for all it's worth, he could probably go round giving random speeches of inspiration or something like that.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 19:09
Quote: "I'm actually considering pulling out of the race."

I'm willing to do whatever you want to do, Omega. I agree, maybe we should pull out of the race...but don't support Matt!

VOTE NOW!
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 20:15
Big news! Everyone who drops out of this race will instantly be part of the perfect world, thereby not get tortured and incinerated in the camps. Yay for freedom!

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 20:35
Alucard, what if you dont drop out? will you be tortured and incinerated?

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Why would you drop out if you feel so strongly about your cause? I see weakness. It's like you're losing a battle and everyone on your side drops their pride and heads for the hills!

Is this the kind of leader Apollo wants? I think not!

MATT AND DINK. NEVER BACKING DOWN!

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 21:07
Quote: "Is this the kind of leader Apollo wants?"

There it is again!

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 21:35
Quote: "Alucard, what if you dont drop out? will you be tortured and incinerated?
"

I am constantly tortured and incinerated. I simple don't go around bragging about it.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 21:46 Edited at: 20th Nov 2008 22:12
Quote: "I think I'd make a much better president than Matt Rock, who at this point will almost definitely win. However, the voters seem to think differently, and, for whatever reason, they seem to want Matt Rock for president."

Perhaps they know something you don't ? I think I've established a decent reputation in this community for leadership abilities, which has been evidenced in this thread as well. You literally only have two policies... noob slaying and ice cream. For every issue the community faces, you blame noobs and plan to eradicate them. Perhaps you should be looking inward for the cause of your epic fail, rather than trying to find flaws in the Rock/ Dink ticket?

Quote: "Problem: Too many stupid, pointless, and irritating threads.
Your solution: Ban lolcatz and allow the "re-trained" n00bs and trolls to post."

Wrong again, sir. As you can clearly see on page 7, post 29, my plan for putting an end to such threads involves creating more math-related threads, and teaching thread coolness-awareness to members of the community. Banning lolcatz, as a part of our detailed Cheezburgerz plan, relates to a completely different issue entirely.

Quote: "Problem:Not enough quality projects for the WIP/Program announcements boards.
Your solution:I don't recall you having a solution to this one, but please, correct me if one wrong. (which I probably am on this one.)"

In all seriousness, this really is a problem. Well before the election thread began, I suggested more game-related competitions and more encouragement and tutoring from senior community members. I also suggested team creation/ development, and teaching people how to manage teams efficiently. These are all points I've brought up repeatedly in numerous threads over the years, but specifically mentioned them in this thread, in the ninth post.

Quote: "If you ARE elected, and you screw it up, I will personally see to it that you are banned from the internet for all time. I promise you that. Whoever gets elected will have a rare chance to do some real good for the forums."

[serious]You don't need the superficial make-believe title of TGC President to do some good in the community. Likewise, you don't need to be in government to do good in real life. Be helpful when someone is new and doesn't understand how something works. Be patient and explain things to others, and spread your knowledge rather than hording it. Always give people the benefit of the doubt until they abuse that allowance. If you want to do something good for the community, participate in threads, even if you think the topic is stupid, and weigh in with your opinions without being rude or mean. Even when they do something stupid, like posting a thread without using Search (how many of us have done that at some point or another?). "President" or not, everyone needs to do their part. [/serious]

edit: Emailed you Pus

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 22:25
Voting starts 25th November. Ends 1st December. (Obviously.) Cut-off point for announcing candidacy is 23rd November. And incase my post is lost among the new ones, all candidates must e-mail me with details in my earlier post.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 23:23
I drop out because my precidency doesn't need voted for. It will stay behind the curtains, ruling from the darkness anyway.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 17:13:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 17:13:47