Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] EAI Task Force 341 character set WIP (56k warning)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 10:08
I am speechless!

That is amazing work. I can't wait to purchase these.

WizMod Developer.
The Aaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 10:54
Quote: "There will certainly be character variations with MP9/10/5-ish style arms meaning short-sleeved with gloves. There should also be matching player bodies, for mod use, as well."

I assume that those are coming later. Looks great EAI!
~Aaron

Download Failed...
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Gunn3r... Part of the beauty of using a large (2048x2048) texture. I had to recreate the ACU pattern from online references and color swatches to get the crispness in the pattern itself so there isn't aliasing/dithering or color shift and then converted it into a seamless pattern-fill. The nice thing is that I can apply the texture to the whole texture then rotate, mirror and/or offset the pattern so that the patterning won't be exactly the same on every character. I then use a mask layer to go through and delete out the areas which shouldn't have cammo applied (like the MOLLE webbing, skin, boots, etc) though that example does not show that. Small detail but I think the end result will be good.

Quote: "I assume that those are coming later. Looks great EAI!"

Yes. The short sleeved versions are sort of "on the bubble" right now because as I mentioned earlier in this thread there is some squirlieness in the clavicle animations I didn't catch because I animated on the shown character which has the upper arm armor which conceals the issues. I'll need to do some more testing to see If I can get the unarmored arms versions running on the same animations as per my original plan. I hope to add about three or four more mesh variations before moving to the next phase of production.

@everyone: For the Army variations, I am going to put Rank and Name tapes on the armor. If anyone has some cheeky suggestions, feel free to share them (Think Pvt. Parts, Cptn. Kirk, etc but less lame/more like real names... by default I might just copy the names from Aliens and mix in some TGC people)
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 14:15
Looking great as always Errant. Are you going to do some different camo variations such as Marpat, Desert Marpat, Cadpat or even BDU (maybe British DPM as well?) Also, are you going to make a video showcasing the animations. That would be great.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 14:33 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 14:37
Hi Opposing force, I wil be doing only ACU for the army versions but the PMCs (Private Military Contractors) will have a mix of different cammo patterns (though primarily 3-color desert and solid colors). The grey textures shown in the comps will be included in the pack as part of a layered .PSD (will open in Photoshop and Gimp though not sure about paint.net or others) and I will include a tutorial for how to apply your own cammo pattern to the characters and change insignia, etc. USMC will be added later via GCS as add-on characters to the set because their armor and helmets have a different shape and I am sort of picky about such things. Those guys will have the two MARPAT patterns. I would also like to have a small sampling (maybe two each) of British in DPM, German in Fleck-tarn, Canadian in CADPAT, Aussie in AUSCAM and Russian in whatever...Would also be nice to have some speciffic US force versions as these are sort of generic Army MPs but time will tell. After the bugs are worked out with these guys the transition should be simple, on my end.

I hope to have a video up later this week if all goes well. I'm still learning FPI scripting so it takes some real effort for me to make good scripts which show a variety of animations in practical context.
=Acid=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 14:46 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 14:49
Hey Errant,
Had to rename from Crav3 to Acid, anyway your progress is coming along nicely. The Last character you made did you forgot to remove the digi camo off the hands? Gloves with the cut off fingers would be awesome for these characters. I would talk more but I'm pretty busy with some freelance(thanks to you again ) and for the remainder of the week I get to have work experience at THQ here in Melbourne. I finally get to sit down and study other 3D artist's techniques which is a major benefit. It couldn't have happened without you. Like I said, I promise to remake those guns again .

I was hoping to find some time to keep in contact with you via email, so we can catch up.

PS. Bake out an AO for the diffuse, you know you want to :p.

3D Game Artist
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 15:56 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 15:56
Hi _Acid,

I mentioned in a follow-up post that I didn't mask-off the non-cammo careas in that test. It was just to test the effect and not for accuracy.

It sounds like you're at the beginning of a grand journey into the industry. It's awesome you think I had a part in that. Feel free to drop me an email anytime- we'll do some catch-up.

Yeah, baking will be part of the final phases. There is already a little bit of baked AO in there but it's not speciffic to the gear loadouts.
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 17:04
I love it!

shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 18:31
here's a question i've always wanted to ask.
you're probbably one of or the most popular people on tgcs, so how much money can you actually get from selling these models on tgcs?
surely it must be quite a lot.

strike force delta (on the rails) http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152412&b=25
darkest depths http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151509&b=25
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "surely it must be quite a lot."

Surely you must be mistaken but if I was 25 years younger it would probably seem like a lot.
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 20:43
oh... dear.
i heard something about tgcs taking part of the money as well, so presummably you don't get much from it. shame.
I think your stuff is easily as good as a lot of top-quality models out there in other games.

strike force delta (on the rails) http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152412&b=25
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 21:28
TGC take 50%.
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 21:50
50%! man, that sucks!

Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 23:16
Errant, to be honest mate, I think you should set up your own website and sell them yourself. This way you can charge whatever you want and TGC wont take all the credit. Your well known, so its not as if you need TGC to get your site known.
REllU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 23:18 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 23:21
WOW, JUST WOW MAN!!! GOT CRAP OUT OF ME!
serasly, I LOVE THOSE
All great EAI
Quote: "TGC take 50%. "

oh, thats not good, doesnt feel good, eh?

Might be new at the forums, but an old user of FPS-C
http://www.setbb.com/rncompany/index.php?mforum=rncompany
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 01:09
Quote: "and for the remainder of the week I get to have work experience at THQ here in Melbourne."

That's sweet! I didn't know there was a THQ in Melbourne! I'm now heading there after I finish at Qantm.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 03:07
For a name suggestion...

Pvt. Dancer

NAACP gotme
Years of Service
User Offline
the only problem see, are the eyes, they seem to stand out a little to much, other then that, my moneys yours!

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Black Profductions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 03:22
great one EAI, trought i would only get the masked ones, they look more "misterious"
Maybe ill get them keep up the good work, are you working in weapons anymore?

=Acid=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 13:02
@Errant,

Sure no problem. So today I had a look at what the artists were doing and it seemed pretty basic stuff. One guy I met had been doing 3D since 2003 and he had told me he barely had used normal/spec maps. They also have someone they hand over the model to for texturing. I was expecting that he would be modeling and texturing as well. For the rest of the day I have to do QA, which I feel is really long and boring on a game under development.

I really enjoy the environment though, everyone is friendly, we have a rumpus room where we can play the consoles on the 40" LCD at lunch time. Or maybe some pinball or pool. The company though works more on children based games rather than the stuff that I like relating to Crysis, Killzone etc. Still it's a new experience and I would be happy to work with people like these.

Oh and have you tried marketing to other game engines such as orgre or torque? Could earn the extra money.

Quote: "hat's sweet! I didn't know there was a THQ in Melbourne! I'm now heading there after I finish at Qantm."

If your ever looking for aussie companys, here's a link I got from the admin of THQ.

http://www.sumea.com.au/sdevelopers.asp

3D Game Artist
The Aaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 13:39
Quote: "If anyone has some cheeky suggestions, feel free to share them "

well... since you asked,
Sargent First Class Aaron O'Donnell is a good name
or Commander Aaron O'Donnell is also a good name
~Aaron

Download Failed...
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 19:35 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 20:27
Quote: "Errant, to be honest mate, I think you should set up your own website and sell them yourself. This way you can charge whatever you want and TGC wont take all the credit. Your well known, so its not as if you need TGC to get your site known. "

50% Really isn't that bad and on modelpacks they only keep 40%. For now, it's worth paying the cut for the exposure and because I think I would end up spending too much time/money in trying to manage a decent website. I had a website for a year but never finished building it so it ended up being a waste. On GCS I can set the price to whatever I want but there seems to be "sweet spots" to see any returns. I'm really not overly concerned with name recognition/credit or money anyhow- at least as long as I am learning and having fun.

That said, with these characters I'm taking more prep and organizational time than usual because I do want these to have viability beyond the realm of FPSC. Maybe this will be the year I expand... or maybe not.

Quote: "Pvt. Dancer"

Beyond awesome

Quote: "the only problem see, are the eyes, they seem to stand out a little to much, other then that, my moneys yours!"

No worries. I'll get the contrast balanced out in time.

Quote: "are you working in weapons anymore?"

Not right now but I will be.

Quote: "One guy I met had been doing 3D since 2003 and he had told me he barely had used normal/spec maps"

Probably not uncommon. 1999-2006 I never did either. Hell, I didn't even learn to properly UV map until after I got out. Really, I think even still that sort of thing is reserved for AAA and maybe AA titles. There's still a lot of single-A and lesser games being made and really they're the majority of what fill shelves. Granted the percentage is being gradually reduced because development costs are so high these days.

Quote: "I was expecting that he would be modeling and texturing as well."

That's normal for a large studio. THQ is also publisher so eve more bloated- like EA, etc. It's not uncommon to have different artists for concept, modeling, texturing, animation and sometimes lighting. There isn't a lot of individual ownership of work on 100+ person teams.

edit: Wish me luck/send good vibes my way, folks. Tomorrow morning I'll be trying to extend my visa. If all fails I'll have to leave for about a week and go to Malaysia or Laos or somewhere.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 20:14
Quote: "I'm really overly concerned with name recognition/credit or money anyhow- at least as long as I am learning and having fun."

Based on the context I'd say you intended to type "I'm really not overly concerned with name recognition/credit..."

Good luck with your visa

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Haha good catch!

Thanks, Man
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 21:24
@Errant, if you'd like, I could make a website for you... Been wanting to make an ecommerce store anyhow. And in GameXS, you'd get 75% of all sales... Something to keep in mind, at least.

For the name... Pvt. Pile?

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 23:03
Gunn3r always lending a helping hand

For the name.....Cpt. EAI lol.

[img][/img]

Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 05:06
I got some more. None are quite as good as Dancer though...

Colonel Sanders

Captain Dees

Major Payne (Original, I know)
REllU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 11:44
Be aware..
the...
LOLLED!!

Might be new at the forums, but an old user of FPS-C
http://www.setbb.com/rncompany/index.php?mforum=rncompany
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 14:40 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 14:40
What about Pvt. Parts (Private Parts)?

WizMod Developer.
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 14:50
How about Sgt. Bamber

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.netne.net/index.htm[href]
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 21:36 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 21:39
i have some names... though i don't even though what they are for... i didn't check the threads... lol.

EDIT
i checked the threads!
the names are still fun, you can have them royalty free...
i'm that generous!

sgt. steve

cpt. kev

pvt. paris

lit. louis

cmdr. kooma

cpl. cane

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Animation Video!

This is quick rendered from max to check for excessive foot sliding errors, etc. Some animations are insanely fast and are meant to be slowed down in-game for best results (Ply's Mod animspeed actions work very well). I'll have some ingame video with scripts running so the animations can be seen in context, at a later time.

Quote: "Something to keep in mind, at least."

Wow, Gunn3r. Very kind offering. I will indeed keep that in mind!

Quote: "Colonel Sanders"

Awesome!

So far I have in mind (not that I intend to cover all ranks!):
Pvt. Dancer
Cpl. ?
Sgt. ?
Cptn. Hook (Sparrow?)
Maj. Wood
Col. Sanders
Gen. ?

I'm happy to say that I did manage to get normal sleeved (unarmored) and short-sleeved variants working pretty well on the same rig/anims. I'll post some comps. of those later, as well.

I have to go back to immigration office on Monday and my visa expires on Wed. My application was turned back to me last time because they needed some different documentation. Annoyed and anxious but it's beyond my control :S
Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 20:19
Bloody hell mate, those animations are awesome!
DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 20:52
Lovely Anims there

[img][/img]

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 21:02
I wasted my time watching a 4 min video...

Just kidding, nice anims, I like how you made sets for each type of weapon available...

"Your greatest teacher is your harshest critic"-'Butterfingers'
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah... It is sort of long/tedious to watch. Unfortunately, the way FPSC is coded means I don't have much choice in not repeating all of the animations if I don't want scripts to break. I more or less have 4 of animations. Tier 1 being stock anims, tier 2 are custom for all weapon types, tier 3 for only weapon type 0 and tier 4 for weapon types 0-3 only. The way the anims are blocked it's possibly to omit whole tiers of animations when exporting to save memory footprint. The .x files aren't so big but the .DBO can really balloon.

Some of the anims are not as good as others but I'm pretty happy considering this was the first time I'd really taken the time to mess with biped animations. Good learning experience.

Unrelated to this thread but speaking of wasting time watching videos...
I finally put together a semi-organized YouTube playlist which joins from both of my accounts all of the videos for my GCS items.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4B742B89D9CEBC55
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 22:48
Gen. o'cide maybe. Just seen the video, great job on the extra animations.
The Aaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 19:14 Edited at: 30th Jun 2009 18:30
Nice WIP, I never get tired of watching your vids. I have every one of your vids from youtube downloaded(watch them everyday )
Looks good as always!
~Aaron

Download Failed...
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 20:14
Great work EAI

Really impressive.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 21:17 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 21:24
I will definitely (and I mean DEFINITLY) buy these guys with the Gasmasks...

As soon as I get my bloody PayPal thing working -.-

-Wolf

Some Names:

Cpl. Dick Buttkick*

Pvt. Steve Francis

Sgt. Paul Ganes

Pvt. James W. Sterling

Pvt. Ivan Pavlenko

Cpl. John S. Murphy

Pvt. Morgan Latte*

Cpl. Jacob J. Ripper

Pvt. Daniel Jackson

Sgt. Sven Bomwoll*

Sgt. Sergey Carija

Well, I could write a whole bible full of Names.

*The ones with the "*" are not serious

BTW: What about some female soldiers?

shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 21:50
ok, i have some more names:

pvt. Hammond, David

sgt. Mkenzie, Stephen

cpl. Robertson, Arnold

pvt. Pinten, Sebastian

what do you think?

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 23:49
"Soap" MacTavish, perhaps?
Anyhow, really great work, EAI! You never cease to amaze me.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 01:10 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 01:16
Awesome job, some really nice characters. Always wondered what your character work was like.

I feel theres still one issue with the proportions, the end of the arms usually align with the middle of the thigh, in length. Here, maybe this GIF might better show what i am trying to say:

EDIT:

Sgt. "Crumpets" TwiddleStache

Do it.

Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 04:33
Wow. May I ask, what did you use to make the animations?

Can you save the crew of LV21?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151512&b=25
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 04:44
Pvt Parts is still a better name imo .

WizMod Developer.
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 18:35
I just noticed that your soldier is left-handed . Looking really awesome anyways.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 18:44
Quote: "I just noticed that your soldier is left-handed"

I've noticed that when I edit/make a character in Milkshape, it's always left handed but when I export to FPS Creator it's a regular right hander. I think this happens if you tick the box "Right Handled" under Geometry options when you export. Errant uses MAX so I think it's the same deal.
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 18:49
It's because directx models automatically mirror on the front/back axis, so you have to export it backwards.

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 19:10
Ah okay.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 17:52 Edited at: 30th Jun 2009 17:53
Quote: "Animation Video!

This is quick rendered from max to check for excessive foot sliding errors, etc. Some animations are insanely fast and are meant to be slowed down in-game for best results (Ply's Mod animspeed actions work very well). I'll have some ingame video with scripts running so the animations can be seen in context, at a later time."

4:01

Precise chainsaw aiming = Searing hot WIN.

Really nice animations.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 11:42:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 11:42:39