Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] EAI Task Force 341 character set WIP (56k warning)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice Errant, I really like 04 and 01.

Hope This Helps
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 05:07
some of these could be used for terrorists. great job!
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 06:04
Obviously these look amazing! My only problem is how shinny they seam.. is it the light you are using or maybe you bump/normal map but they seem to be reflecting the light too much almost, well for the matterial it seems, again this migh just be the light setup. - Im only saying this because you asked for both good and bad things and this is all I could see!!

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comments. Here is Marine10...

I might embellish him a little more later but not much. He's meant to be a filler/fodder character. No sidearm and no squad radio. As such, he's also lower poly (around 3200 tris). I have some things to take care of and should be back in the thick of animation next week.

Quote: "again this might just be the light setup"

Correct. It's just the scene lighting. Done that way for graphical emphasis and also because internally I need to quickly see the bump mapping. The lighting is set like a Nightsun is blasting them in the back. There is no spec mapping because it's sort of a waste of effort because FPSC shaders I've seen don't apply spec values correctly (if at all). When you use them in a game, their shininess will really come down to the shader being used.

Quote: "You must make a pack of terrorist after this"

I've already decided that the next group will be gunmen contractors. So, there should be some worthy bad guys in there and should be comparatively quick production cycle. After that will likely be civilians and VIPs.
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 15:24
Quote: "I've already decided that the next group will be gunmen contractors. So, there should be some worthy bad guys in there and should be comparatively quick production cycle. After that will likely be civilians and VIPs. "

Terrific! Now I can make the next SOCOM!

Kravenwolf

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 17:26
haha yeh i love socom too love to play it on my psp, tactical strike .

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 17:44
The characters look totally sick. I mean really next gen quality. Totally awesome.

I like the guy 9 the best, but I do Kinda think that some of them are really not that noticably different. Like, as much as you as the modeller create differences, such as radio/no radio different side arms/body armour, I think that in game alot of this is lost, because really it's just a soldier dude shooting at you. Like, you don't really have time to notice the subtle differences in the meshes. I think this will be fantastic when you start to create a wider variety of characters and people can start to make more varied games with them

I want robotic legs.
Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 20:25
Ahh.. How you make those textures?! They are amazing! I have used so many programs and tested everything and never get anything like that. Well.. those must be very large texture files, maybe something around 5000x5000. But well.. they cant be? Hey? Can textures be so large?

"Realize, sweet babe, we aintt ever gonna part"
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 20:39
His textures probably wont be above 2048*2048.

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemies
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 20:49
they are awesome! you've got to make some zombie versions! (sorry i'm just obsessed with zombies at the moment)

Can you solve the mystery of bunker 413?
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 23:40
Quote: "His textures probably wont be above 2048*2048."

Yeah, the furthest I saw was 4096x4096, and it was literally huge.
These do look excellent Errant, but like what butters said some of them aren't that noticeably different, I mean when playing a game with all this action the player will probably just shoot his/her way clear, and probably won't stop to look at the dead bodies.
But looks next gen quality.
-Adrian

I love Taylor Swift. She's awesome.
Hey guys! Help me! Join the creative design forums! http://creativedesign.candorweb.com/index.php
Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 05:57 Edited at: 24th Sep 2009 05:58
Damn. Pardon my French, but that's all I could say with such a short vocabulary (not really, as I could have said amazing, or awesome, or...) Anyways, I hope these are X10 compatible, as it would be a loss to not see these with X10's numerous character shaders.

Great job so far mate! I know plenty of companies that would hire you for professional modeling and texture art.

Can you save the crew of LV21?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151512&b=25
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 09:03
I dont now why the file size would be a issues. but bond1 pack was pretty big as well. but if that is the case then i say stop and finishing up on the last character and get the pack ready for sale. cause i like all of them. plus i want to see how they going to look with my CG shader. plus whatever does not make it sale them in the store. i been buying up the store on 3d models. I have 5 big projects im working on. I almost got all your weapon models. i choose them all. great work as always.

more than what meets the eye
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 13:39
they are all awesome! release them all

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
voltlight
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, EAI, what is the general poly count of these?
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 16:17
Quote: "All meshes are single-skin and under 4000 tris."

Kravenwolf

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey, EAI, what is the general poly count of these? "

Yup, what Kravenwolf said
I think the lowest is Marine10 with about 3250tris and a few are in the 3990s with a couple around 3700tris.

Quote: "Well.. those must be very large texture files"

Yes. The master .PSDs need about 2-2.5GB of ram to edit and I have 2GB on this notebook LOL! It takes about 10 minutes to open or save the file.

Quote: "His textures probably wont be above 2048*2048"

Quote: "but if that is the case then i say stop and finishing up on the last character and get the pack ready for sale"

Correct. 2048x2048 is size these are shown at. So, yes it does become a size issue when each map is up to 12MB and there are 30 maps shown. Take also into account the need for shader maps and the models themselves. There wont be any characters added beyond the Marine 1-10 characters and three texture variations shown. There are a few entities I am planning to include such as body armor, radios, uniforms, etc. but they won't be so consuming as I plan to have just one map that can be applied to the however-many entities.

Quote: "I do Kinda think that some of them are really not that noticably different. Like, as much as you as the modeller create differences, such as radio/no radio different side arms/body armour, I think that in game alot of this is lost, because really it's just a soldier dude shooting at you"

Thank you for the comment and that's a totally valid point. The majority of games these will be used in it will be a total waste. However, I'm looking at it from the angle that if someone wants to have a hame where you are actually interacting with the characters as NPCs or allies that it is benificial to have the subtle variations. I also have the side-agenda of creating media for myself and these are variations which I desire

Quote: "I hope these are X10 compatible"

I hope so to. Conting on it actually. Have a couple of beta testers for X10 tapped and at the ready. I've kept the meshes single-skin (think that's the correct term) to work well with X10's shadows and I haven't added or renamed any of the rigging elements so it should work with X10 and hopefully also with things like Horror Mod's character deforming stuff.
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 14:29
really nice

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 15:30
Quote: "I also have the side-agenda of creating media for myself and these are variations which I desire "

What would you use them for exactly?
Gremlin986
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 15:38
teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 15:48
Excellent work EAI, really cool stuff.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 16:01
The fall-off/phong [Whatever the flipping heck you wanna call it] on the normal maps look a little too intense to me for a un-lit situation.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "a little too intense to me for a un-lit situation"

Matuka, There's no normal or spec maps in the pics. The high contrast is just the light setup for internal/dubugging use and me just being, eh, artsy. It's explained above.

Quote: "What would you use them for exactly? "

For a game. It's a story about a guy.

Just finished what I needed to take care of before getting back into anims. It's two new weapons. Will post soon in my 2009 release thread
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 23:28
nice nice nice!

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 12:15 Edited at: 27th Sep 2009 13:11
It's all good.

Hey errant, will we be seeing anymore proper revolvers from you? The Combat 44 is getting a little stale compared to your newer work, and it just feels like you've left them out.

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemies
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 13:53
Are you still going on about that? Really?
Spycrabz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 13:56
revolvers are awesome.

'nuff said

steamid: mogbog123 PSN: mogbog123
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 13:59
Quote: "Are you still going on about that? Really?"

Last time I was asking if it was possible to re-animate them. Now I just think it's time to give the revolver family more attention - There are new military rifles, pistols, melee weapons, SMGs, LMGs, Rocket Launchers and Grenade Launchers but no revolvers.

shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 15:14
i'd like it if he made some more assault rifles. the g36c is good but not awesome if it's the only airmod assault rifle he's made. maybe a sig552 or l85a2 or tar21 would be awesome.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 15:46 Edited at: 27th Sep 2009 15:47
Quote: "Last time I was asking if it was possible to re-animate them. Now I just think it's time to give the revolver family more attention - There are new military rifles, pistols, melee weapons, SMGs, LMGs, Rocket Launchers and Grenade Launchers but no revolvers.
"

Well, let's just hope that Jake is willing to give this project some more time. Now that his characters are starting to get sorted out it seems that he'll need to find something else to do.

Jake, if I recall, you said that you'd be moving to a new hand rig next year?

@Shadwfire: FPSBanana devhub + G36 modding = Awesome assault rifle selections.
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 16:58
I presume he'll be using the fairly new sleeved rig.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey errant, will we be seeing anymore proper revolvers from you? The Combat 44 is getting a little stale compared to your newer work, and it just feels like you've left them out."

I hope so. The only revolver I have working with Airmod at this time is an old Colt SAA "Peacemaker". It's an oddball though and probably the slowest loading cartridge revolver ever produced (though much faster than the non-cartridge cap and ball revolvers of the time). The old MP9/10 revolvers did not update well to my intermediate rig used for GCS (controls walking, cinematic adjustments and iron sights). They get all screwy and need to be fully reanimated to work properly and I haven't found the time or willpower to do that. I do agree with yourself and dolphin lover though.

Quote: "i'd like it if he made some more assault rifles. the g36c is good but not awesome if it's the only airmod assault rifle he's made. maybe a sig552 or l85a2 or tar21 would be awesome."

Agree as well. It's taken some time but not so long ago I finished collecting the reference needed to build an accurate Tavor. I also have a base mesh hammered out for L85A3/A3s. No ETA on either. More importantly I want to update my M4A1. I've rebuilt the mesh but haven't gotten around to unwrapping or mapping it. There will likely be a couple more assault rifles of standard configuration before transitioning to bullpups. Just don't know when. Because...

Quote: "if I recall, you said that you'd be moving to a new hand rig next year?"

Quote: "I presume he'll be using the fairly new sleeved rig."

Correct and correct. The issue at hand (must be viral) is that I want to start using proper shaders on weapons which means transitioning to a different work-flow pipeline of using only one UV for everything (thinking 1024x2048) and likely re-do the skeleton completely. I might go to biped for that. High probability, actually.
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 18:39
ah, cool. thanks errant.

Wazoo117
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 00:07
Definately need a new minigun....

Grenadier Games
"There are very few problems in life that cannot be solved with the proper application of high explosives"-Gunny
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 02:10
Quote: "I might go to biped for that. "

Please do. I'll be honest: it is an utter nightmare trying to work with the current rig compared to a biped.
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 05:42
You mean tavors are real? I never knew that.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 05:46 Edited at: 28th Sep 2009 05:47
Quote: "I presume he'll be using the fairly new sleeved rig."

You might want to consider creating a new rig that matches up with these Task Force characters. That way, when I look over at my team and then back down at my weapon, I won't be the only one out of uniform

Kravenwolf

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 06:03 Edited at: 28th Sep 2009 06:05
Yeah T.A.R 21 Tavor Assult Rifle 21st Century, it seems its going to be the Israeli infantry weapon within a few years, so I guess it shouldnet be in Scifi

but like errant said it isnt accurate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Colombian_Tavor.jpg

On Topic:

Everything here looks so good

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 08:18
Oh, yeah, Jake. I have a request/wish if you're ever thinking of another assault rifle. Can I suggest maybe a Bushmaster ACR AKA Magpul Masada? It's a very cool gun. I would just rig it to your G36 rig but it's nigh impossible to find a good one with a texture on the interwebs.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah. Several IDF units already have them and a couple Royal Thai Army units have them as well. I believe the Georgians also bought some in addition to the Colombians. Found the reference I needed in a Thai edition of Combat magazine, actually. Personally, I like the looks of the Micro Tavor (MTAR-21)a lot better but whatever.

Quote: "I'll be honest: it is an utter nightmare trying to work with the current rig compared to a biped"

I try telling that to everyone who wants the rig but nobody ever believes me.

Quote: "You might want to consider creating a new rig that matches up with these Task Force characters. That way, when I look over at my team and then back down at my weapon, I won't be the only one out of uniform"

That's part of the objective. Ideally, there will be about four different meshes skinned to the same rig and I can choose the one I want at export time. A few of the supplemental characters will be short sleeved, so that will help as well.

Quote: "Can I suggest maybe a Bushmaster ACR AKA Magpul Masada? It's a very cool gun"

It is cool-looking. It's one of the few rifles I think looks leaps and bounds better with the standard fore-grip vs. a railed one. However, to be honest, I'm in no hurry to model prototype guns at this time. I got burned on the SCAR already because I modeled mine on one of the later prototypes but the production model has some differences which need fixed. Most people wouldn't care but that bugs the crap out of me.

Anyhow. I have one more delay before back to character animations. It's somewhat related though and I should be done with it today.
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 16:46
so any new updates?

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 06:22
Vent, that pic is now my desktop Background.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 20:43 Edited at: 1st Oct 2009 20:45
Quote: "so any new updates?"

Testing bump map baked into a normal map then applied in FPSC with different .fx shaders.

No shaders
Not too shabby.

bumpbone.fx
Best translation of scene lighting direction. Shadows way too dark (cranked up ambient for screen capture). Sort of too graphic looking to be realistic.

CoZ's FixedBumpBone_Shader_V2.fx
Looks really cool with the black uniform and in low lighting. Shadows a bit dark and color saturation very strong.

Afrokid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 21:10
wow, they look as good as COD4...almost cant believe they are in FPSC.

Good Job EAI!

~Afrokid
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 22:49
perfect! they are just.. .awesome, better as cod4, your a pro man! the eyes look so natural, cant get out of my works

how are the animations going? and maybe (i think i said it before but iam entoushiast) you could make some cool script, because of all those cool animations you made!

shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 22:55
wow... outstanding quality as usual errant. well done.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 05:29
You better release these soon!

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRw3u6fKkR8

Script testing with old animations to see them stitched together in the context of simple gameplay. This helps me to understand how I need to change things to make them look better. Most of these anims will be redone or thrown out. Still very W.I.P.!

Been evaluating the stuff that has been done and planning how I will be reorganizing animations for revision. It takes a bit of planning because of the way FPSC is coded to find animation frameranges at specific offset intervals. Most of the custom anims I did end up just being way too fast. The protocol is to export at 25fps and so that's what I animated at. However, when the anims are playing back at 30-40fps they are much too fast. I'll be starting pretty much from the beginning which means I'll be taking a stab at replacing that horrible snow-angel death pose. I already know it's harder than it sounds because so many other animations need to sync up at different segments of that animation (wish we just had ragdoll lol).

Anyhow. Finally downloading the v1.15 update for FPSC. Let's hope I don't ruin everything :S
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 16:37
looking great! definately already better anims than stock characters! and as for the model quality... do i really need to say?

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 08:41
little bump

so how are the characters doing?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-23 19:42:07
Your offset time is: 2024-06-23 19:42:07