Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] EAI Task Force 341 character set WIP (56k warning)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 13:58
Quote: "I hope these ones will not disappoint..."

A render looking like concept art? Me like.

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 14:29
Yeah sorry for the vague question, mind if i drop an email next time you are not too busy, just got a couple of questions to ask.

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 14:57
Okay so he uses 3ds max....i gotta learn how to use that i've had that thing sitting on my hardrive for so long now yet i dont even think i can make a block in it yet

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 10:39 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 10:44
Here's an example of three alternate heads with the previously shown body. The idea is that you can have subtle costume changes as your story progresses. Sort of like in the first RE movie where the Umbrella squad first appears with masks on but then take them off after the first scene. The heads wont be totally identical between the three texture sets but with minimal skill, the textures can have needed image content donated to each other.

This particular guy is old and hardcore; He's already killed more people than you'll ever meet. Or something like that.

hi-res attached

edit: Forgot to mention that there are several improvements. I shortened the clavs a bit and lengthened the upper arms. Hands have been beefed up and better defined and the illusion of finger seperation increased. The area just below the beltline on the sides have been tweaked. Bumpmap improved in several areas most notably the helmet and lower legs. He's on the verge of being a gorilla-man build but I think it looks allright and is pretty close to what Jon Fletcher suggested some time ago.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 11:22
awesome!

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
Forza Inter
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm in love with them
Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 14:59
This is surely some impressive work, I'm totally loving it!

-Doomster

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 15:11
Well over time its obvious these are getting better. Keep it up

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes. Its ll very good. But when are they comming out and how much will they cost?! Will it be a pack or will you need to buy each guy individually, or will one guy come with various textures?

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 16:34 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 16:41
I've made one additional tweak; The legs have been lengthened a bit below the knees. I now believe the proportions to be looking very good and I am pleased with them. The head scale might be a wee bit small but I think it will work well with FPSCs whacked FOV.

Final body scale tweaks...

Compare to the pics on page 1/2 to see a huge difference!

The body sizing is now locked down and I will soon begin the task of revising animations since the changes made today have screwed up a bunch of stuff. Sucks but it will be worth it as I move foreward.

Quote: "Yes. Its ll very good. But when are they comming out and how much will they cost?! Will it be a pack or will you need to buy each guy individually, or will one guy come with various textures?"

I hinted at this earlier but to recap...

Quote: "Release date is unknown and will remain as such, for now [I estimate October/November-ish if all goes well but you guys know how easily I let dates slip! Right now I have good momentum and hope to keep the fires burning!]. Just know that I have mentally blocked-off/limited what the pack will include to make it a finite number of assets and that it will require some time for animation revisions. Some of the previously shown anims will be thrown out completely and others will be changed to fit my vision of use [in this case they will be angled toward CQB/Tactical aplications].

The packs will be broken up into squads with the first pack being Marines. There will be around 4 different bodies with 2-3 heads variations each and 3 texture versions for desert, woodland and the the dystopian sci-fi style. The characters are quasi role-specific with body01 being an assaulter and intended for use with an m203 or m32 weapon and you can see the 40mm grenades on his sides. The next will be a SAW gunner with the big ammo boxes strapped to him and so on. Animations will be tweaked to work/register best with their weapons of choice.

The follow-up pack will [possibly] be an Army squad following the same structure. The idea is to have these packs as base media for multiple genre use. That's why I'm including three texture variations. The third sci-fi set is going to continue on [as an alternative usage theme] but in sort of my vision of it.

Part of the plan is to have some less generic characters for sale individually that will complement what is found in the packs. So, for example there won't be a dude in a ghillie suit in the pack because that's a lot more limited in genre scope but there may be one on GCS. Same goes for something like a high-tech sci-fi soldier [or zombie mutant whatever]. "

Price for the squad packs will be normal TGC MP price (around $20US or whatever). It will include FPEs for the different versions giving you about 30 choices form the editor. This may be trimmed if the download size gets out of hand. I haven't done the math but large textures do add up in a hurry. Rather than providing compressed/lossy textures like in MPs 9/10 I want to supply customers with nice textures to begin with which they can resize to suit their individual needs. The packs will also include some starter scripts to allow you to see how some of the new animations can be used. I also plan to include .FBX format files for ease of customizing the media for your projects.
teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 16:39
Would you ever consider putting those animations up for sale when you a finished with them? Just question because you could get a lot of cash from like turbo squid of something along those lines.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 16:44 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 17:00
1. The animations are rooted in FPSC stock animations so I don't think it would be ethical. When I get to the point where I can do all anims by myself (and with right-handed guys!), I will concider it. However, inclusion of .FBX data should greatly streamline usage of these anims on custom characters for peoples games, if thats something they wish to undertake.

2. Turbosquid can rot, for all I care. They've really taken a turn to the dark side as of late.
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 20:05
Thats sick! I really love them. Sadly FPSC cant really give them the shine they are worth

Will certainly buy them when they get out.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 20:42
I wonder why you havent gotten the 3d master thing yet

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny is now in my sig. Why? because bunnys da best and ya cant argue with that!
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 21:17
Because he hasn't entered the compo yet?

If I was ever given the opportunity to remove all the bad from the world, I wouldn't, because for there to be heroism, compassion and all that is good, there must also be all that is bad.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 22:21
Quote: "2. Turbosquid can rot, for all I care. They've really taken a turn to the dark side as of late."

For anyone who's unaware as to what Jake means by that statement; I've put together a small Blog about the Turbosquid "situation", in which (as of September 1st '09) they have reduced royalty rates to a mere 40%, unless you go exclusive with them...which is very restrictive in itself. Read up here:

http://gameartistgroup.com/gag/index.php?article=77

-Keith
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I'm usually sympathetic to these types of things. After all, big companies do what they need to do to survive just like the rest of us. But this seems so heavy-handed, and disrespectful to the artists, that I don't think I'll be touching Turbosquid with a ten foot pole.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 03:43
Quote: "For anyone who's unaware as to what Jake means by that statement; I've put together a small Blog about the Turbosquid "situation", in which (as of September 1st '09) they have reduced royalty rates to a mere 40%, unless you go exclusive with them...which is very restrictive in itself. Read up here:

http://gameartistgroup.com/gag/index.php?article=77

-Keith"

You just blew my mind! How in the world could turbosquid do this to artists! That's obscene and cruel I mere 40% you gotta be kidding me.
Thank you for letting me know this.
I'm in shock.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I consider a 50/50 split to be a fair, collaborative deal. I scratch your back and you scratch mine.

Anything less insinuates that "The work we do is more important than the work you do, and you need us more than we need you." Insulting.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 04:40
Quote: "Yeah I consider a 50/50 split to be a fair, collaborative deal. I scratch your back and you scratch mine.

Anything less insinuates that "The work we do is more important than the work you do, and you need us more than we need you." Insulting."

Yeah, but really that is true. Most artists probably do need them more than they need you. They have hundreds of other artists if you dont agree. I still dont think its fair though.

Hi, it’s Robert with Stealthmod! You’ll be saying Stealth every time you use this mod! It’s like CoD! It’s like L4D! It’s like BioShock. A regular mod doesn’t work good – this works good and great.
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 04:54
To be hones, more of 70-30 for artists is far, they do the hard work, 40 is ridiculous, im shocked.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 18:12
Without the artists, they would have no business. It's that simple.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
The 40% doesn't bother me. It's some of the other stff that had me appalled. A company can do whatever it wants- I don't have power over that but I do have some power over the ones I choose to support. I see this in the same light as studios who only hire contractors and keep them maxed at 39 hours a week so they don't have to pay benifits. No thanks.

I just hope that they fail because if they succeed it's another step towards a future were my imaginary 3D artist grandchildren are getting less than 1% or whatever artists in the recording industry are getting.

Anyhow!

I've finished up what I needed to do for the compo prizes and so I'll be getting back to these guys. Should have something new to show in a day or two
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I need these models now! lol

-Indestructible-

GR1TZN3R
Years of Service
User Offline
Errant AI,
You just keep 1 up-ing yourself. I LUV IT!!

"Human after all"
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Your work is always insperational,

Love your style, professionalism and the general way you present your work.

-Laz

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes..."
http://lazerus-reborn.deviantart.com/
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 22:29
Oh man

When are these coming out. These are like next gen modern warfare soldiers in FPSC. Unbelievable.

Look as good as anything I've seen in this generation
Sonny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 23:41
Great work, Errant! Your work inspired me in all ways!

If my language is weird or just mysterious, please bear with me! I'm a german and... maybe my english isn't as good as yours
Black Profductions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2009 12:24
Wow this ones will be perfect for my wip!

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2009 19:17 Edited at: 14th Sep 2009 19:18
Thanks for e comments. I don't say it enough but I really do appreciate the kind words and motivation.

Good news is that the allotted characters are now almost finished.

Bad news is that anims are hosed and will need to be redone almost completely.

Silver lining is that it should be quicker to add the anims this time and they'll be of better quality than previously shown.

Updated pics comming soon!
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 08:19
awesome awesome awesome!!!!!

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 13:45
AARRRGGGHHH! the anticipation is killing me! Cant wait till these are done! I'm ready to buy every one of 'em. They are truly top shelf Jake. Be sure to make some noise when they're ready. I'd hate to miss out on these my friend.

All my best to you buddy!

In the Universe, nothing ever stays the same.
Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 19:36 Edited at: 16th Sep 2009 19:38

When you are so good, why you don't do any WW2 characters.. better than those poor stock models. Something like french resistance soldier with cigaret and red baret.. and Bren machine gun. And then some kind of SS guy with glasses, which will broke when guy gets killed. Hey? I can make that Bren if you are interested. And there must be MG-42, STG44, B.A.R and some other guns and some US 101st paratrooppers.. and one man must be black. There is no black soldiers currently in FPSC.

Contact me if interested. Capich?

"Realize, sweet babe, we aintt ever gonna part"
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 22:52
maybe you should give errant some time he is working hard on the animations etc. i think

shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 22:55
could you make zombies versions of these? that would be so cool!
screens are amazing errant! ever sice i found out what bump-mapping was (don't laugh) i've been really impressed by your work!

Can you solve the mystery of bunker 413?
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 22:58
Quote: "ever sice i found out what bump-mapping was"
*laught*

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 01:37
Quote: " There is no black soldiers currently in FPSC."

Wow. Hmm. Maybe just do a retexture? Not that hard.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wow. Hmm. Maybe just do a retexture? Not that hard."

Black people have different facial features that the white.
Really, for it to look legit, a simple retexture wouldn't cut it.
I'm just saying.

-Indestructible-

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 08:14
well if you really want, you can redo the mesh etc. i think not everybody needs black people, well i dont need it

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 13:45
Quote: "i think not everybody needs black people, well i dont need it"
The way you said that came out wrong, but I understand. You didn't mean to sound offensive, I don't think.

Anyway, yes, African American, Native, Hispanic soldiers all make sense in my mind. It's not like armies are filled with one race of people (at least not in modern times). So, I think it would be good, but a retexture would probably suffice.

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 20:19
Quote: "The way you said that came out wrong, but I understand. You didn't mean to sound offensive, I don't think."

nahi dont want to be offensive iam not a rasict.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 05:40
maybe there could be an african tribesman or a middle easter terrorist for the TF341 guys to fight- that'd be a good challange- different facial features and clothes.

but anyway: how much will these cost?
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 08:17
Quote: "but anyway: how much will these cost?"

look at the posts of errant, he told it. i believe its around 20 for every pack

Spycrabz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 13:30
a self portrait of me, looking at your pictures.

I WAAAANT

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't worry about it EAI! Just get them done so I can buy them!lol

Astek

-Indestructible-

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 22:01
how many are in a pack, 3?
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Hopefully this first pack will have 10 meshes and three texture versions each for a total of 30 "different" guys. I say hopefully because MB size might be an issue as the large textures add up very quickly.

However, please, I want people to comment on which character they like most AND least. This will help me to decide if something needs to be removed for size issues.

BANDWIDTH DEVOURING POST ALERT

Here's an interim preview of the first nine characters!
(The 10th one is a generic guy with balaclava and no sidearm and has the slightly older non-fire resistant uniform with the regular top that doesn't get tucked into the pants).

I'm in the process of remixing/ballancing some of the colors for the woodland uniforms because they came out too dark- esp. the helmets. Marine01 has first-pass revision but the pattern is too washed out; I'm going for something between the that and the others. I'm also thinking I will make them extra grungy (sort of muddy) and possibly with face paint.

This is still with bump map applied. Holding off on baking because I want lighting consistency and need the basic textures all looking decent so that I can use the same lighting setup across the spectrum. I also need to bake AO which is going to be a little bit of a time sink rendering everything out to 2048 but I only need to do that once per bodytype.

These are almost to the stage now where I can stop working from the RAM devouring master .PSD file and add some minor detailing to the individual characters. For example; having different scuff marks on the kneepads or writing on some of the gear.

It's important to also note that the faces aren't final. They will be tweaked a bit to look different from each other but I will do that in a separate .PSD. The meshes are nearly all final except the couple with exposed heads will have the geometry tweaked a bit because from the front they look too rounded and I want them to be a bit more chiseled looking. It may be sort of a cop-out but the guys with balaclas could easily have their textures modified for different skin tones. All meshes are single-skin and under 4000 tris.

Once I finish the mesh for Marine10, I will be getting back into animation phase.

Addendum:

Here are two WIP characters which will not be included in the pack. They will be available separately on GCS. This is because they won't have alternate textures and because I am capping the pack at 10 meshes (with 3 map versions for 30 total). The first is sort of a MARSOC operator and the 2nd one is sort of like when sometimes Marines are used for close protection duty with bureaucrats who visit war zones. The MARSOC guy will have his sidearm changed to a 1911 with different holster style. There will be versions without the big radio too but not rushing into revisions on these bonus characters. I just needed representative bodies to help me avoid animation problems when I revise anims (such as neck being in weird positions that the body armor keeps me from noticing.

OK! That's it for now. Please, I would like to ask the community to give me the time and space to finish this project. So, please stop bumping old threads for a while. If there are updates for them, I will post.

Thanks for having a look!
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 21:53
Wow looks awesome.Waiting to be released

[href]http://sites.google.com/site/chargedstudios/home[href]
"Im British you muppet!"-Psycho
Black Profductions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 21:54
WOW!!!! they are amaizing EAI!! You must make a pack of terrorist after this, this soldiers will be great for my game

Spycrabz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 00:04
i love marine07 and marine09 the best

Your signature has been erased by a mod please resize it to 600 x 120.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-23 19:55:35
Your offset time is: 2024-06-23 19:55:35