Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Time Front returns! (LOTS of images)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
that's his brother who is known as lemonade. look at first post lol

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 01:23
Aha, cool

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 04:38 Edited at: 12th Jun 2010 04:54
Yep, he's my brother.

Now that the weekend is here, it's time to get stuff done! Here's a couple shots of the terrain with the texture size doubled. Looks pretty good!

Note that the poly number is also doubled in this shots. This hardly made a difference in appearance, however, and for some reason really, really slowed down the AI which slowed down the FPS. I changed it back to normal and it still looks great. The FPS was in the 70s in the densest part of the forest with a copy of the server and the client running at the same time!

I'm going to put these shots on the front page of this thread.

EDIT: Just thought I'd show you what it looks like with half the polys. Still pretty good, isn't it?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 05:03
Wow! I have to say the quality skyrocketed. Now that the weekend is here I'll be getting back to work. Keep up the good work.

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
what do you use for your trees and grass?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 05:43 Edited at: 12th Jun 2010 05:44
Quote: "Wow! I have to say the quality skyrocketed. Now that the weekend is here I'll be getting back to work. Keep up the good work."

Sounds good.

Quote: "what do you use for your trees and grass?"

I used Vegetator Professional, a program I made and sold awhile back. It uses trees and plants from Tree Magik and Plant Life.

Link: http://www.epsilonzero.com/vegetatorpro
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Could do with some bump/normal mapping, but looks pretty solid so far.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 06:33 Edited at: 12th Jun 2010 06:34
That would be sweet.

Finally, thanks to a lot of help from Green Gandalf, here is a shot showing two detail textures on a .x model (Blender) terrain, straight from the game:

Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 06:46 Edited at: 12th Jun 2010 06:47
Quote: "Could do with some bump/normal mapping"

I agree. It would be difficult to implement a shader while there already is some blend mapping going on though (for the detail textures).

Quote: "that's his brother who is known as Lemonade. look at first post lol"

Correct!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 08:14 Edited at: 12th Jun 2010 08:16
New Video! New sound effect for the MP40, and a sound effect for the bow now. There's no sound effect for pulling back the arrow, but that will come. The video features part of Lemonade's new sound track. You might also be able to hear the new background forest sound effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwluQVovbw&feature=youtube_gdata

The MP40 actually fires faster than that. It's because it fires based on the animation, not timers like the rest of the game. Fraps slowed down the game, so that's why. I'll add timers to that part soon.
Dark onyx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 10:36
Looking great The terrain looks a lot better with the higher resolution textures. Heh, and the MP40 is freakin awesome.
I'll just have to sit here and behave until the demo comes

"I reject the reality and substitue my own"
- Adam Savage
AMD Phenom 2 X4 3 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, Geforce 8800 GT Pre Alpha Dog Edition 512 MB, Win 7 Ultimate
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 23:24 Edited at: 13th Jun 2010 00:21
Haha, thanks. We're trying to see if we can get the next beta up as soon as possible.

Enfield has been added! You can also scope with guns now, not only the bow. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxB-ZLfvZo&feature=youtube_gdata

I may replace these models before the release of the project, but they look ok for now.

By the way, the reloading animation for the MP40 may sound a little off, as it hasn't been aligned perfectly yet.

EDIT: Just realized the Enfield is sticking out just a little too far when unscoped.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 00:32
Looks like the player would get a nasty nose bash from that Enfield when using the ironsights. When aiming like that, aren't you typically holding the weapon steadier to prevent so much recoil into the face?

The one and only,

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 01:08 Edited at: 13th Jun 2010 01:09
Sure, you are typically. Doesn't seem like the model moves past the face though, does it?

I guess I could tone it down a little though. Thanks.
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 12:19
looks superb, now all you need is some water and your forest scene will be complete

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 13:19
Yea you should add some water, really brings the world to life.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 05:07 Edited at: 15th Jun 2010 10:28
I think I might actually.

Update: I've added a colt to the game, which will be replaced with either a new model (I'm using the Dark Matter one), or most likely a different, automatic pistol, which will be easy to edit to fit with what I've added. I've also made it so that ambient sounds such as a forest only play when you are in the forest, and now you can only build wood cutters in forests.

EDIT: Lemonade and I just played against each other for the first time in a while, and I have to say, it was a lot of fun! The enfield is really fun to shoot. We found bugs to fix, so it was worth the time. Will keep you posted.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, no he did not join, then I shot him, then he quit, as the picture suggests.

EDIT2: Well, we got a lot done today. We're trying to polish things up for the next beta!
Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 02:57 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 04:48
More progress! I just completed the building where you will spawn with a gun of your choosing. The gun models are not made by me; they are the lo-fi versions of the Dark-Matter models.

In Blender:

EDIT:

And in DBP (unfortunately without the guns):

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 08:08
Got tons done today! Here's a gun fight video for y'all to see. One bug is that it says the player got killed with an MP40 no matter what weapon you used, because I was too lazy to fix it when it came time to record. Watch it anyways, and turn up your sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osJWIuSmnm4
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 14:19 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 14:20
very nice! though, there is something missing there, when the player hold a gun, the arm should move a bit around, and especially when he shoot, the cursor should be moving somewhat randomly around, you know, weapons are heavy, and when it shoots, it's impossible for a human to keep holding it in the exact same position, i think you know what i mean

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 14:33
Nice, i love the textures on the gun shack.

Sepnon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 20:26
wow.. great

some things you could add:
1. Hands
2. Fire effects when shooting
3. Improve the walking animation, and a death-respawn delay like battlefield
4. (Later) Shadows

btw, i loved the aim of that rifle!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 20:47
Thanks for the comments.

Quote: "very nice! though, there is something missing there, when the player hold a gun, the arm should move a bit around, and especially when he shoot, the cursor should be moving somewhat randomly around, you know, weapons are heavy, and when it shoots, it's impossible for a human to keep holding it in the exact same position, i think you know what i mean"

I know what you mean. The camera actually does jerk. I wonder if the video kind of hides it. I've added some randomization to the MP40, though, so that should make it much more realistic, as it was pin-point accurate before.

Quote: "Nice, i love the textures on the gun shack."

Lemonade did a good job UV mapping it.

Quote: "wow.. great

some things you could add:
1. Hands
2. Fire effects when shooting
3. Improve the walking animation, and a death-respawn delay like battlefield
4. (Later) Shadows

btw, i loved the aim of that rifle!"

Good suggestions. In response to #1, I've thought about that. In fact, the first version of Time Front had hands. The thing is, it complicates things so much. I may not add them unless enough people want them or if I myself see that they are really needed. If I do add them, it will be towards the end of the project. I might actually do that, now that I think of it, if there is time. I agree with all your other suggestions, though. And I love shooting that rifle!

Yesterday, I added in ladders to the towers. The physics are working. I just need to tie things up and apply the climbing animation I made. Here's a couple of shots (not sure why the texture is distorted on the ladder):

When you climb to the top it automatically gets off, and same at the bottom.

More to come!
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 04:23
Watching that gun fight, I was really impressed by how the landscape seems to play such a large part in the game. The first few encounters were up close but still affected by the foliage; the last one, with you sniping from the top of a mountain, was sort of inspiring. It's like it's the exact opposite of all those repetitive "shoot people as you run down a corridor" type shooters.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
If not hands and not shaders then shadows at least, would look much more polished with just shadows. If light mapping is too hard then an option for real time shadows would be nice for people with more powerful comps.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 07:09
Quote: "Watching that gun fight, I was really impressed by how the landscape seems to play such a large part in the game. The first few encounters were up close but still affected by the foliage; the last one, with you sniping from the top of a mountain, was sort of inspiring. It's like it's the exact opposite of all those repetitive "shoot people as you run down a corridor" type shooters."

Glad you liked it. I have to say I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. As the game keeps moving along in progress I am more and more tempted to stop working and start playing!

Quote: "If not hands and not shaders then shadows at least, would look much more polished with just shadows. If light mapping is too hard then an option for real time shadows would be nice for people with more powerful comps."

I will definitely work to get both shaders and shadows in, even to the point where it is beyond the speed of my computer, so that serious gamers out there can seriously enjoy full graphical quality. I was actually working on shadows yesterday, but didn't give it too much time as I'm trying (as much as I can) to focus on core game code. One thing your post helped me with, though, was that it caused me to mess around and see why the bloom wasn't applying, even though it is turned on. I haven't figured it out yet, but I turned it off for now, and now the fps shot up from about 80-90 in the castle to 110-120 FPS (with the host open, which currently renders the game in full resolution, and with the client open as well)! This is very reassuring that I am coding things correctly, because all along the framerate was very acceptable with bloom on, and now it's even better. There's room for plenty more graphics and game code!

To keep your eyes on this thread ( ), here's the new research center, freshly modeled by Lemonade, and now available to build in-game. Soon, the commander will be able to select technologies to research on different paths of learning, of his choice:

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
If you need models don't be afraid to request on the forum, or in this thread. I might be able to do one or two.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 10:25
Looking good as always! I'm doing some quick editing and adding some edge loops, then I'll send the model your way. Quite happy about this one.

Gun fight looks amazing. Now let's see 20+ people battling it out.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 20:10
The towers are cool, but judging from how the gameplay worked in the video, it looks like people on the tower will be right out in the open, and an easy target! Is it possible to duck down behind the wall or something, or are you going to add the zig-zag pattern you get on castles to let people shoot out through the gap?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 09:14
Quote: "If you need models don't be afraid to request on the forum, or in this thread. I might be able to do one or two."

Thanks Satchmo. I may just do that, and I'll let you know.

Quote: "Looking good as always! I'm doing some quick editing and adding some edge loops, then I'll send the model your way. Quite happy about this one.

Gun fight looks amazing. Now let's see 20+ people battling it out."

Love the model! And yes, I can't wait to see battles like that. That's what the beta is going to test.

Quote: "The towers are cool, but judging from how the gameplay worked in the video, it looks like people on the tower will be right out in the open, and an easy target! Is it possible to duck down behind the wall or something, or are you going to add the zig-zag pattern you get on castles to let people shoot out through the gap?"

Makes sense. You can sort of hide by walking backwards, but if there was a sniper in the distance, you would be toast, so yeah, I think I will either add crouching or the "zig-zags".

Today I pretty much coded the whole researching system, network code included! All I have to do is fill it in with techs and make it so that each tech affects certain things in the game. It looks pretty good so far. It's like the tech branches you see in games like Age of Empires, where one tech leads to multiple choices. I'll post a screen once everything is up to par.

You (if you are the commander) will be able to choose any path you like. If you want, you can straight away start researching laser pistols, but it will not go well! It will be very expensive and slow to research, and you need to get cheap weapons into the hands of your soldiers as soon as possible, and research other buildings like mines and woodcutters. You will also be able to research improvements that speed of resource gathering and building and decrease spawning costs for units. But still, you can go any way you want, or even skip a whole branch of weapons entirely, like gun-powder powered weapons, or meelee weapons. You can specialize in cheap units, or an economy that can help you quickly research more powerful weapons.

More to come!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 16:40
Sounds very balanced, which is something a lot of online games lack. Good luck, want to see that in action.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 22:31
It looks very nice, but i think i may have missed something, I thought this was a kind of medieval setting, with the swords and such, why are there guns?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 23:05 Edited at: 19th Jun 2010 23:06
Hahaha, ok, let me explain.

The game is called Time Front: Battle of the Ages because it is a sort of mixing of all ages (all ages we are covering, at least), probably medieval, WW2, and futuristic (we may include a couple contemporary guns). Instead of research the next age (as in Age of Empires or Age of Mythology), you simply research specific technologies. You will be able to research swords and bows, but also guns, along a different branch of the tech tree. It may seem like everyone will go for the guns, but as I said it will require a good economy. Also, guns require special resources such as gunpowder which will be harder to get. The two resources that will be most available are wood and iron, allowing you to easily train swordsman (knife, short sword or longsword) and archers (long bow and cross bow). I may make it difficult enough to get to advanced weapons such as guns so that people are stuck in the medieval age longer, which I think will be the most fun part of the game. I imagine what will commonly happen is people will choose to research jeeps (I will make them affordable so that it is easier to get around the huge world), but keep their bows ands swords, making it a truly original and epic battle.

Hope that explains things. In the beta you should hope to see wood, iron, and gunpowder as available resources, and quite a few techs to research as well. I shall now get back to work!
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 00:53
ah, I get it now! That sounds very cool actually
haha, I probably sounded a bit thick there xD

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 03:00
Nah, it was a legitimate question.
Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 11:30
Looks and sounds great, I'd like to play this when it's done. ^^
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 09:10 Edited at: 21st Jun 2010 09:49
Thanks.

Here's a shot of the new research window. I'm really happy with how it turned out. The commander just goes up to the building and presses "G". When something is being research, a green bar appears on the button showing it's progress. I've added stone, and you can see the cost of each resource at the top of the screen. You know have to research the appropriate techs to build every building, and all buildings and techs now cost something. It's starting to actually feel like Age of Empires, or something like that. The buttons shown here are placeholder images until Lemonade finishes the real ones.

As you can see, I research "WoodCutter", but there are no more techs (yet) on that branch. "Longbow" is lighted up only because the mouse it over it. When it is researched, the "Crossbow" tech will light up halfway, showing that it is now available. We will be expanding this research window vertically so that it can hold many more branches of techs.

EDIT: Ignore that buggy piece of grass.

EDIT2: So, I was testing out shadows, and using fog messes them up, so it turned it off for testing right now. It lost the atmospheric effect, but everything is now vibrant and rich. Which do you think is better?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 10:37
Just thought I'd say the reason why there were no updates today is because it was a vacation day for the family. I do have good news, though. I just bought the DBP Enhancement Pack, and it is sweet! Now I can effectively encrypt the files to protect the media, meaning that the beta will be up sooner than later.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 17:36
I actually prefer without the fog. I think one way to add more atmosphere to the game is to increase your light a bit and get some nice dark shadows casted. Up the bloom a bit more. Give it a bit more realism. Do you plan on having shadows with all objects ingame or have the option to turn on shadows for objects? I have a decent beast of a computer, can run most games on maximum settings, so I'd like to be able to push the game if possible. Be good for testing, see what can be handled especially since it's online.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 20:47 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2010 20:48
the project is going very well, you should add some lights (possibly per-pixel lights), it would look way better, it's too ambient now

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 20:51 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2010 20:52
Definitely. I did some testing a couple days ago, and there were just some bugs with the shadows that needed to be worked out. But I can say that it certainly (when done right) made things look nice! Bloom will return; the game actually has the code for bloom all set up, but for one reason or another it's not applying, and I haven't taken much time to figure out why yet. I'm trying to avoid the temptation to work on these smaller things until the beta is ready. But I will definitely be adding more graphics options. I have a pretty decent computer too, which is very useful for testing graphics. I will let the graphics options go past the power of my machine so that better computers can enjoy the game even more.

EDIT: You're right about that Hassan, now that I think about it. Shadows may fix that, we'll see.
Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Well...I found a sweet lighting\bump\spec shader in the ultimate shader pack. Problem is, the detail maps don't apply with it.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 09:21 Edited at: 24th Jun 2010 09:23
Here's a shot with shadows! Finally got it working. Also added different damage for hits on different parts of the body, and also selection of the gun of your choice when you spawn at the gun shack (before, you had no choice over which of the three guns you would spawn with).

(two copies of the game open (host and client), and that FPS is slightly a lie...it was usually faster than that)
Dark onyx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 10:46
That looks really nice Is the shadow applied to all objects or just some major objects like the castles? If it's the first one then it will be really impressive. I'm looking forward to the demo, whenever it's coming
One thing that would be truly awesome if you added would be a dynamic weather system and a day/night cycle. It just wouldn't look nice, but it could also have gameplay impact. Just imagine a castle siege at night...

"I reject the reality and substitue my own"
- Adam Savage
AMD Phenom 2 X4 3 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, Geforce 8800 GT Pre Alpha Dog Edition 512 MB, Win 7 Ultimate
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeess! Looks so much better now. I dunno what it is about not having shadows, things just look bland without them.

Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 22:06 Edited at: 24th Jun 2010 23:54
Quote: "Is the shadow applied to all objects or just some major objects like the castles? "

It is applied to all the buildings right now.

Quote: " I'm looking forward to the demo, whenever it's coming "

We hope to have a beta up within the next two weeks. No promises though.

Quote: "One thing that would be truly awesome if you added would be a dynamic weather system and a day/night cycle. It just wouldn't look nice, but it could also have gameplay impact. Just imagine a castle siege at night... "

There's a good chance we will add something like that.

Quote: "Yeess! Looks so much better now. I dunno what it is about not having shadows, things just look bland without them."

Definitely. I'm also working to add a bump\spec shader to everything but the terrain. We'll keep you posted!

EDIT:

Here are a couple images that display the new shader being tested with different colors\lighting:

Ignore the black roof. I forgot to move the light up.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 09:54
Started to add jeeps to the game! The Dark Matter one is actually pretty nice looking. Here's a short video showing it off. There are pretty good engine sound effects that you can't hear in the video, and the car aligns very nicely to the terrain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5oEWDyKd1s&feature=youtube_gdata
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 16:48 Edited at: 25th Jun 2010 16:48
Lol, that looked awesome. Now give me some catapults and I'll take that sucker out.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2010 04:19
Haha, ok. For now, though, here's what happens when you drive off a cliff (explosion need to be just a tad lower):

An up close look:

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2010 10:49
actually the explosions are outstanding!
how about changing that cursor in the middle? something like a cross rather than a dot

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 10:28:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 10:28:46