Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Time Front returns! (LOTS of images)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2010 10:59
I'll think about it.

Just so you all know, I've been working on the whole vehicle system today, and all the local code is more or less done. Once I add the network part, I will easily be able to add vehicles to the game, and they will be easy to build in the game. Progress is going well.
Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2010 11:36 Edited at: 27th Jun 2010 11:36
The new castle model is coming along!

( DBP: )

Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2010 16:06
why does the car drive thorught the tree?

this seems like a fantastic project!

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 05:19
Thanks. There was no collision before, but now it is more or less working.

Smoke now trails behind vehicles. In addition, I coded most of the network portion of the vehicle system.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 09:32
Here's a video showing it blowing up. The strength if very low for testing purposes. I'm still trying to figure why the particles play slower even with timers in the game code....it's not supposed to explode for that long :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtWOiRINNTA&feature=youtube_gdata
Dark onyx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 10:11
Looks cool
But why is the car so big? It looks a bit unproportional to the rest of the world, especially the player.
I also think that the explosion is way to long. It should just be a quick burst of flames and outwards energy, or are those things flames?

Otherwise, it's looking and sounding really well
Keep the screens and vids comming!

"I reject the reality and substitue my own"
- Adam Savage
AMD Phenom 2 X4 3 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, Geforce 8800 GT Pre Alpha Dog Edition 512 MB, Win 7 Ultimate
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 10:17
You're right. The car actually is huge compared to the world! I thought it was a little big, but I must be going blind or something.

I explained why the explosion is long in my last post. Thanks for the comments.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
for particles like that wouldn't you be using some kind of modulus to time elapsed? Couldn't you just lower that value?

Still looking amazing

Is't life, I ask, is't even prudence, to bore thyself and bore thy students?
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2010 10:34
That's actually what I do. However, it fails. The timers don't seem to be as good as they could be. I use the same code as is recommended all over the forums. It works pretty well for movement, but for some reason, not for particles. I use the image-based system where I load all the images separately and apply them one by one.

Thanks. Today I worked on the next segment of the map. Tomorrow I will hopefully finish the map, so that finally I can add the opposing team's castle, and will thus be able to test multiple teams better.
Kryogenik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2010 13:57 Edited at: 30th Jun 2010 13:59
Nice car, what do you use to "power" it, a physics engine or did you code it? It looks pretty cool. The only thing I'd say is that a car is a little out of place next to castles and bow and arrows and stuff. I saw somewhere earlier in this thread someone asked if you could fake lag, if you wanted to so you could see how well it peforms, you could use a timer to delay sending the messages. Anyway, this game looks great, demo please

Edit Just saw how you were combining medieval WW2 and futuristic stuff, so disregard my car comment

cout<<"I'm learning C++, and this is all I know \n"
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2010 21:19
How exactly does your particle system work? I may be able to help you with your timing issue, as I've had a good bit of experience dealing with that.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking fantastic Sam!

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 02:25 Edited at: 1st Jul 2010 08:12
Quote: "Nice car, what do you use to "power" it, a physics engine or did you code it? It looks pretty cool. The only thing I'd say is that a car is a little out of place next to castles and bow and arrows and stuff. I saw somewhere earlier in this thread someone asked if you could fake lag, if you wanted to so you could see how well it peforms, you could use a timer to delay sending the messages. Anyway, this game looks great, demo please

Edit Just saw how you were combining medieval WW2 and futuristic stuff, so disregard my car comment"

Don't worry, you're not the first to make that mistake.

I coded the car physics. EZrotate made it so much easier. Fake lag is a great idea! I'll probably try that today.

Quote: "How exactly does your particle system work? I may be able to help you with your timing issue, as I've had a good bit of experience dealing with that."

I would love some help. This is the code I use every sync to update the timer:

The particle system works as follows. I have preset speeds for each type of particle. For example, dust would be speed 3, or whatever. I then have a counter and add to it, using timers. When that counter is greater than or equal to 3, I set the particle to the next image in the animation, and reset the counter. That's pretty much it.

Quote: "This is looking fantastic Sam!"

Thanks Dink! I miss working on this together. That was like, what, 3 years ago wasn't it?

EDIT: Been working a lot on the map today. Here are some shots. This map will be called either "Redwood Valley" or "Redwood Graveyard":

Arial shot (this is not player height! The player is smaller than those green trees), showing the huge size of the redwoods:

A collapse site (it doesn't look as isolated as it does in this shot, it actually fits in quite well):

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 10:25
This game keeps getting better. Loving every update.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 11:28
looking greaaat, and please, don't forget to add the opinion to select the resolution, most people who make demos lacks this feature, the games looks like crap for me at 1024x768 (common resolution)

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 10:45 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2010 10:46
Thanks guys. And there'all definitely be options for that.

Today I added the last part of the map, and coded the vegetation so that it runs faster by changing the calculations depending on where you are in the map. This last part of the map has a moat, and the castle for this team will have a draw-bridge. Screenies of this soon.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 10:34 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2010 10:35
Just to let you know I'm still working:

1. Added vegetation to the last part of the map.
2. Coded ground collision so that it works on all parts of the map (very tricky because it is divided into three sectors).
3. Worked on some tests for lag, as suggested. Seems to work fine at 200 ping (that's all I've tested). It did reveal that I have an error with the player movement. It's supposed to interpolate like the jeep (which does it very well I think), but it jerks. I think I fixed it, though, and will test it again later.

Tomorrow I'll probably add Lemonade's new interface for the main menu and game. Thanks for reading!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 14:56
Hey, Uncle Sam and Lemonade, I'm very impressed by how this game looks and improves! The framerate is still good while having lots of detail and objects, so NICE work! I especially like the detail of the trees, grass, flowers and rocks. The terrain looks a little 'sharp-edged', but I think you should concentrate more on the overall gameplay, and work on the details later. The game still needs to run smoothly, so adding details and perfection follow later.
I was wondering, how BIG is your playfield? Because, if you have vehicles in your game, how long does it take to get at the edge of the playfield? Or, is it infinite?

Anyways, keep up the good work!

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 18:35 Edited at: 4th Jul 2010 02:42
I'm not sure if this is related to the particle issue particularly, but I can see how this could become problematic:

Quote: "GameSpeed#=GameSpeed#*100"

I believe that multiplying a float by a constant integer will return an integer in DBP. It might only happen if they are flipped around, I'm not really sure but as a general rule in situations like this I'd change the 100 to a 100.0 to make it a float.

I don't think the above issue would cause the problem you are having though. It's more likely the game is going too slow for the animation.

Essentially, I imagine the framerate of your particle animation is now faster than that of the game (I had this happen in an old project of mine). You'd need to compensate a bit. If you have your number being incremented by gamespeed, instead of checking if it is larger than or equal to the speed try seeing how many times the speed goes into it, and adjust the frames accordingly. Then reset the counter to the remainder.

On a side note, if you are using frame-by-frame animations, I'd consider putting them into a sprite sheet like FPSC or the explosions from one of the newsletters awhile back. It'd probably a lot faster to adjust the UVs than to retexture the object.

EDIT:

Maybe something like:

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 00:21
Quote: "I believe that multiplying a float by a constant integer will return an integer in DBP."

If either operand is a float the result will be a float for both multiplication and division, although I agree that you often have to be careful about this kind of thing in DBPro

[b]
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 21:51
That's what it should be, but I've had a problem with that before (usually with integer constants, not variables).

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2010 10:32 Edited at: 6th Jul 2010 10:37
Hmm...thanks for the help guys. Thanks Airslide for taking the time to explain this. There was a place or two where I added ".0" to make it a float, and I think it helped a little. It's still not perfect, but I'm sure there's some solution.

For all: Today I did a decent amount of work. Added auto-team joining, and also auto-role selection (commander, captain, etc). Later, you will probably be able to either vote for a commander, or become commander based on your score. Either way, it's in working order. The roles will be "recycled" as players quit, and you will automatically join the smaller team. I also fixed some collision issues, worked on the vehicle physics, and modeled a vehicle "garage". The biggest accomplishment today, however, was probably the completion of the level system. Now I can very easily put all the level files into one folder for each level, and then simply change a variable to choose a level. It handles everything from positioning the sectors to vegetation, AI obstacles, forest detection, and mining locations. I'm very happy with how it turned out. This does not mean, though, that users will be able to make their own maps. It is incredibly (well, not incredibly) complex and meticulous to make a map. Very do-able for me since I know how it works, but there are too many hoops to make it reasonable for a user to do it. I also don't want this game to be a mod-able game, because it gives room for hackers, and just complicates the whole thing. We will handle all this stuff. Don't try to convince me otherwise.

The game is incredibly far now! Since there is now team and role detection, you can pretty much play a game right now (meaning a beta is close...I know I keep saying that). What is necessary now is to test the game to see how long techs should take to research, how fast resources should gather, and also to finish up remaining items like mining stone (works, but there is no way to choose which type of mine you want to build, so only iron can be mined), the live system, and a way of ending the round. Once these and any bugs (and I fixed one major bug today!) are eliminated, I'm hoping we can do some kind of online beta test.

I'll keep you posted!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I added Lemonade's new castle model yesterday! Much better than mine:

Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 11:03 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 11:10
Today I modeled and textured *most* of a new vehicle--a hover craft! Still needs a lot of work.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 11:07 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 11:08
Did TONS today. By tons I mean that I accomplished/worked out vital parts of the project that are utterly crucial to it's completion. Worked out a way to get a server up and running after five hours of research, since I found out I can't host it with my isp. I also completed what I started yesterday (stone mining), and added the short sword to the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwhFBkCDfNQ&feature=youtube_gdata

I'm starting to see that at least some basic hands are necessary. I may or may not do complex animation, but I think I will be at least adding static hands to the weapons so that it looks like you are holding them.
Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
And here is the final version!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 10:37 Edited at: 9th Jul 2010 10:37
Started adding hands (Josh Mooney's)! The first two weapons to get it are the short sword and the colt. I know that you can kind of see the polys on it...not sure how to fix it, I tried "set object smoothing" but it didn't work.

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiuDQaKulTM&feature=youtube_gdata

More to come!
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 10:44
Awesome! but i still see that the camera does not move when you shoot, only the hand moves (the cursor (dot) stay in it's place, making it very easy to shoot stuff, should be harder in my opinion)

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 11:08
I agree, so, I finally did it! I guess I just kept putting it off. Camera moving when shooting is in. Now you have to constantly move the mouse to keep it stead. I also added hands to the enfield after MUCH work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC39wrDzQP4

Thanks for the input.
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 16:17
It looks much better, can't wait for a demo release to have a play around with.

Gingerkid Jack - Aspiring Game Designer\3d Modeler
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 18:40
Looks great, love the rifle!

You should add recoil on mp40 and that pistol and add muzzle flash.

9cdfb439c7876e703e307864c9167a15
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2010 21:54 Edited at: 10th Jul 2010 21:56
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get the demo up.

Quote: "You should add recoil on mp40 and that pistol and add muzzle flash."

I will definitely add muzzle flash, but I'm not sure what you mean about the recoil. That's what I just added. :S Maybe you just can't see it, because I'm keeping the gun from recoiling too much by moving my mouse down.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 03:12
Yea i might have been wrong, i just watched the video quick and wanted to give some critism but its up to you to set the recoil to what you want so dont mind me

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 04:00 Edited at: 11th Jul 2010 11:24
Nah, I appreciate any criticism! I was just confused about that, no worries. I may end up changing it, who knows.

EDIT: Did tons today:

1. Re-setup the castle system so that each castle is made up of 13 different pieces. This will allow damaging and repairing (and of course destroying) any piece of the castle.
2. Added ladders (except for one small bug and another feature) to the castle. Looks great, and you can now climb up to the walls and towers.
3. Added most of the animation for the hands for the mp40, and changed the mp40 model.
4. Added the vehicle garage into the game.
5. Changed main menu interface, and almost finished the new options window, so that you no longer will have to click text to change settings, but will be able to simply slide different bars up and down.

So far everything's on schedule. I'm very confident, if not altogether sure, that this game will be released. I have in the past posted WIPs here, but have discontinued them. This was usually because I just could not get the professional "edge" that I wanted, or because there were impossible bugs to fix. One game, Extreme Animal Furrrenzy, was looking promising, but the bugs were terrible, as I had coded it poorly at the time, and I could not really achieve the "fun factor". This game is turning out very differently. It's all coming together so well I don't think there will be very many problems finishing it up. What's more, it's fun! It's tempting to just do a local game with my brother and play, and we do so every few days, if not more often. There's still a-ways to go of course, but progress shall continue!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 10:48 Edited at: 13th Jul 2010 10:50
Still been working. Here's the new interface for the options menu. You can grab the sliders and drag them left and right.

The game supports:

1920x1080
1680x1050
1280x1024
1280x800
1024x768
800x600
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 14:31
you shouldn't make fixed resolutions, there is a command to detect the possible resolutions for the machine, and you could make the user able to choose one of them, something like a dropdown menu

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 14:36
The interface looks sweet!

But yea like Hassan said you should do that.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 06:54 Edited at: 14th Jul 2010 06:54
I would do that, but that adds issues with the interface because I can't test all resolutions. I think what I provided covers just about every gamer's screen out there.
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 09:17
Well, I'd prefer to have 1440*900 on there as well. I know several people including me who use this res.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 09:19 Edited at: 14th Jul 2010 10:35
It shall be done.

EDIT: Done.

EDIT2: Well, worked all day on this project. Some stuff I did you won't find out about 'till later (web hosting, etc), but as far as game progress goes, I added some more of the new interface, and more importantly coded the command system. All that's left to add with that part is a nice way of making commands, and then an indicator for the player to show the received commands. But as far as the network code goes, it's all done.

Commands will include:

1. Go to position.
2. Attack position.
3. Defend position.
4. Fortify position (build towers, sandbags, etc).
5. Build.

The last command will be one only the commander can do. He makes the order to a captain of his choice, and then the captain would order the soldiers in his squad to build the appropriate buildings. Can't wait to see this fully working.

As I've said before, there will be a sort of jail system to punish players who do not follow directions. It will be easy enough to implement, and entirely effective (I hope) too.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 13:17 Edited at: 14th Jul 2010 13:19
I have 1366x768...

I definitely think you should detect available resolutions, or allow a custom resolution to be chosen.

[b]
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 15:26
I have 1440x900 too but isn't it possible to scale the interface based on the resolution?

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
What you should do is allow the user to specify the aspect ratio(16:10 , 16:9 , 4:3) then let them choose from a set of resolutions that fit those respective categories.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 02:01 Edited at: 15th Jul 2010 02:01
I suppose I could try one of your suggestions, since enough people think it is necessary. I'll probably do auto-detection, after I finish the more essential features of the game.

Quote: "I have 1440x900 too but isn't it possible to scale the interface based on the resolution?"

It is, it's just that sometimes things need to be slightly tweaked. I do scale it, though.

Thanks for the input.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 10:43 Edited at: 16th Jul 2010 10:55
Made a major accomplishment today that took hours. I already had the role system in, and it would allow players to assume the roles of other players if those players quit (for example, the commander quits, the next player to join becomes commander). Now, however, I have finished some EXTREMELY intense code ( ) that auto-switches players to fill vital roles in the game. If the commander quits, a captain will switch to the commander position, and a soldier, if there is an extra one, will take the captain's place. I also have created auto assignment of soldiers for each captain, so now the captains can easily see the list of soldiers under their command. The whole system seems to be working, recycling and trading positions as players quit and join. Tomorrow, I will use what I have to create a menu where captains and commander will be able to select players under their command, and select specific orders.

Also, I have created a varied maximum captain limit that changes automatically based on the number of players on each team, to avoid having all captains and no soldiers. If there are too few players on a server, I plan to have a warm-up mode that will still be very playable, where players can spawn and just fight each other while they wait for more players to join.

EDIT: Instead of making a third post in a row, I will just edit. You can now fully issue commands to other players. There are a couple features to tweak, but it all works. Simply select a player, then select a command. In this way, a commander will order a specific captain to fortify in area (in any way the captain chooses so long as it gets done), and the captain can order specific taks to specific units in his squad, like unit #1 build a tower, unit #2 build sandbags or a wall, unit #3 stand guard while construction goes on. This will be where the game really shines.

I also made it so that vehicles now spawn at the garage. I have yet to let the commander choose which vehicle will spawn. It will be automatic, so that vehicles appear once a garage building finishes building one, but the commander will choose which vehicle. I need to enforce a vehicle limit, and ensure that the vehicles train in such a way so that they are parked appropriately in the garage. Also, more than one player can hop into the driver's seat at the moment, so I need to tie up that loose end. Once that's done, I can start adding the siege tower, and other vehicle physics, such as mowing people down.

All in all the game is coming along well, and it's all starting to come together. A beta is starting to become more and more realistic.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 09:36
This is falling down the list, so I shall make a new post today and not just edit.

Coded much more of the vehicle system today. Now, the host allows and disallows getting into a vehicle, so only one player can drive at a time. In the future, other players will be able to hop in (for jeeps at least). I also made it so that vehicles automatically spawn at the garage when destroyed, although I have yet to make the commander able to choose which type of vehicle, or how many will spawn. Player's now die when the vehicle they are driving explodes.

Also, I started adding in Lemonade's siege tower! Here are some shots:

Climbing up from the inside:

View from top:

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 13:41
This is looking very good

It sounds like it will be a great game when it's done too.

[b]
DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
I just love how this is turning out
Really, really good work.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 04:21 Edited at: 20th Jul 2010 04:22
Comments like that are very much appreciated!

So far today, I've added an important feature to the siege tower. When you are standing on top or climbing up the ramp while it is moving, you move and turn with it, so you won't just slide off now. I'm not nearly done working today, though. Will edit with more progress.
Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Done with the catapult! I had fun on this model.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 11:10 Edited at: 20th Jul 2010 21:05
Well, as you can see, we did a decent amount today. I fixed all the ladders in Team 1's castle, and coded it so that you can jump off the ladder at any level of the tower (before it would only get off at the top floor). I also spent a lot of time recoding the mini-map system (tricky), so that it will actually look like the map you are playing on, and so that the icons on it will accurately display where each corresponding building is. It will be simple to make it load the mini-map that is associated with the game map once it is completed.

I also fixed a bug that has plagued the game forever! It used to jerk when you stood on anything other than terrain, such as the castle wall. It's all good now. More to come.

EDIT: There, the minimap is complete. Will post screens later.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 11:35:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 11:35:27