Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Time Front returns! (LOTS of images)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 04:02
Wow, my hands look really good in there! Are you using a normal map with it? Can't remember if I provided one or not with the model pack.

Just realized something, I put gloves on the character model, no gloves on the first person view...should I make the character gloveless or make a glove texture for the hand? I'll let you decide.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 04:38 Edited at: 21st Jul 2010 10:20
I had thought that maybe gloves would be cool, but I'm not going to add extra work for you to do. If it really is an easy thing to do, I'd say go for it! If so, it would be easy to replace what I have because I can just replace the texture, and you wouldn't have to undo any work on the character (not sure how much trouble that would be).

You did make a normal map actually. I'm just not sure how to apply it, because the hands are one and the same object as the gun models, because it was necessary in order to animate them.

EDIT: Well, today I finished the mini-map so that it displays items properly. You can now also click on the mini-map to send an order (e.g., attack a position, or defend or fortify a position), so the commander won't have to walk all over the map just to give a command.

Also, I added the hovercraft to the game (at least a good part of it), and almost finished coding the laser system. Here you can see a few shots being fired in a sort of spray. This is actually not how this tank will fire; it will fire a heavy, slow shot that will be used to take down buildings, walls, and towers. The tank does not strafe like in many games. Instead, you will be able to rotate the top in any direction, so it won't be as easy as pointing and clicking to shoot at a target, which is often done in games and seems to easy, because it has single directional movement, like the jeep. It does, however, pretty much turn on a dime, and the horsepower is excellent:

(by the way, the mini-map won't have a black box around it)

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 21:37
I had the idea of giving him gauntlets. Seems like an easier solution, less retexture and I won't have to change the character model.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 01:59
Sounds good! That would just be a change of the texture for the hand model then, right?
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 02:01
Yes, and I'll make a normal to go with it which I'm hoping you'll figure out how to do. Can't you effect limb textures, or add shader to limbs?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 03:06 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2010 10:58
That actually might work. I'll have to see.

To All: By the way, it won't be terribly long 'till the beta (this time I think I mean it ). If you wish to sign up for it, drop me an email at unclesamtgc at gmail dot com (replace the "at" with "@" and "dot" with "." , of course). It is a closed beta, for reasons that are difficult to explain. Please put the word "Beta" in the subject line.

EDIT: Btw, today I added muzzle flares (made by Agent Dink) and most of the battle axe (also made by Agent Dink ). Lemonade and I also created the logo splash screen. Progress continues!
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 19:45
email dropped.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 00:29
Quote: "email dropped."

All that progress looks awesome as well, can't wait for that Beta
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 02:14
Thanks guys for signing up, and also to those who signed up but didn't post here too. I can't wait to test it either!

There are a few things I have to wait for:

1. Getting the game ready, of course.
2. A friend finishing up the game server-list that will run on an online server 24/7 (which he's doing a super job on, btw).
3. Server space (I'm waiting in line for a certain company to set up some more space, so I can put the server-list on there).

I'll keep you posted.
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Email sent.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 09:22
Thanks.

Progress today:

-Coded gun on the hovercraft to rotate correctly (not an easy task).
-Added rock projectiles into the game, which prepares it for the catapult.
-Added building and castle wall health.
-Animated catapult (mostly).
-Fixed sound bug.

I'll have some more screens/vids once the catapult is in.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 11:11
Well, today I replaced the hammer with Agent Dink's much better hammer model. I also added the catapult, which turned out awesome! I just need to perfect it before I post screens/vids here. Here's the hammer, though:

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2010 07:01 Edited at: 27th Jul 2010 10:44
Hey guys,

So, I thought this might be a good enough reason to triple post (). As I've said before, I'm already lined up to buy server space for the server list, so that will work great. The problem is, I won't be able to host an actual game on this server. Here's where you come in.

I was thinking that if 1 - 3 of any of you users out there have the means of hosting a server, I would be willing to give you a free copy. Of course, we'd need to discuss some things and test the speed and whatnot before deciding. Just let me know if anyone is interested. If not, I may have to spend $30 a month to permanently host a server, which may make the game cost just a little more.

Pretty much anyone actually will be able to host a server if they know how to, but I am asking someone to provide a more permanent server solution. It wouldn't necessarily be forever, because if you were to eventually change your mind, I could simply deactivate your product key so that the free copy will not function.

Let me know.

Furthermore, I've been thinking of giving out 1-3 copies to the most helpful beta-testers (more details on this later), providing I get enough people to sign up for it. Just drop me an email at unclesamtgc (at) gmail (dot) com. As I've said before I'll need a decent number of people to get this game going because it is online only, so I'm willing to give out copies if you take the initiative. Just FYI, the beta will most likely start in the middle of August.

EDIT: Btw, did tons today. We removed the old building interface system, put in a SWEET looking one. We also more or less did the same for the tech window. Can't wait to show you guys once's it's fully in. Also, fixed, re-boned and re-animated the catapult to work properly, and now I will be able to rotate the wheels based on the speed of the catapult.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2010 13:38
I'd be able to host a server during the beta, unfortunately it can't be permanent...the only thing is that during late August I'm going on vacation, so I won't be home. but I'll see what I can do.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2010 10:05 Edited at: 28th Jul 2010 10:07
That'll be great man. You'll have no problem then with forwarding ports or anything like that, if necessary?

To all: Today I did the following:

1. Added Team 2's castle and all the ladders and stuff. Not as easy as it sounds; I had to re-sculpt the terrain in that area to make things work. Unfortunately, we'll have to forget about the moat, at least until a later version.

2. Fixed some in-game interface issues.

3. Added the beginnings of the server list screen (which looks great thanks to Lemonade), which will replace the ugly server list I had before.

4. Worked on making the catapult even better, and fixed a looping animation bug with it. Still more to do on this.

5. Added the basics of jumping.

6. Fixed a number of other bugs, including a particle bug, shooting will on ladders (not possible now), shooting while driving a vehicle (also not possible now), and something else (I think) that I can't remember.

7. Found a way to cut my website hosting costs down another $1 per month, possibly meaning better prices for you!

It's coming along. I think the beta will be released as scheduled.
OldPMan
TGC Store Seller
Years of Service
User Offline
Big Work .Look Nice . Best Regards.

.....already beside..... for all
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2010 02:49 Edited at: 1st Aug 2010 09:47
Thanks Russia.

Just so you all know, I was one vacation for a couple days, so now progress continues.

EDIT: Really tired because of vacation (seems like it would be the opposite ), but added a heart beat and red screen effect that actually turned out really cool. Now it's obvious when you're being shot at.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2010 20:19 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2010 20:45
So, by the 5th of this month, we're planning to have all the weapons in the game. Right now we are working on adding all the scifi-weapons. Then I'll be adding Josh Mooney's superb character model.

EDIT: By the way, the project is now over 14,000 lines of code!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 07:30 Edited at: 4th Aug 2010 07:48
Well, I hate to triple-post, but no one else is posting and I have progress to report, and I'm moving down the board.

Almost done adding all the weapons! The sniper is in and you can scope and everything (high zoom sniper scope). The pistol and auto sci-fi guns are all coded, I just need the finished models. I also created a at least temporary loading screen so you can see what's happening (it will help when beta testing). Speaking of the beta, We need more tester to sign up! Don't forget the possible prizes I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Ok, here's a vid for your starving eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuXchDgX6U4&feature=youtube_gdata

The laser sniper has the same power as the enfield, but is semi-automatic and has a scope.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 16:14
That looks really cool...Can't wait for the beta

Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 21:48
Yeah its looking great, would love to see a video of a 1v1 with all the features so far.

Gingerkid Jack - Aspiring Game Designer\3d Modeler
OldPMan
TGC Store Seller
Years of Service
User Offline
I watched your video on YOUTUBE. I liked it. Not a long video but liked it. I have a question. why do you not use EVOLVED SHEDERS from www.evolved-software.com ?

.....already beside..... for all
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 23:21
well, personally, I don't think that's a good idea at all, because the game looks great without any shaders, and evolve's shaders only run on high-end computers, so people like me with low-end cards would miss out on a lot of things.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 02:53
Could the shaders be made optional? Personally I don't mind too much - I'm not too fussed about graphics - but it's something that you could do. Plus the game is looking pretty good anyway, so if you could make it even prettier then I guess that'd be nice.

Good work on the gameplay by the way. I can't really sign up for the beta since I'm kind of busy right now, but I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 03:19 Edited at: 5th Aug 2010 03:22
Quote: "That looks really cool...Can't wait for the beta"

Me neither! Thanks.

Quote: "Yeah its looking great, would love to see a video of a 1v1 with all the features so far."

I want to do this too. Problem is, it slows down so much with FRAPS (as you can see in one part of the video below), and it only records 30 seconds max, but I'll see what I can do.

About the three comments on shaders, I agree with both sides. I was planning on spending a whole day soon on improving graphics. I'm sure I'll find some way to implement shaders, and yes, there will be options. I will also be spending time improving performance and loading time, and making the game smaller so that's quicker to download.

Quote: "Good work on the gameplay by the way. I can't really sign up for the beta since I'm kind of busy right now, but I'm keeping an eye on this thread."

That's ok man. Any support (like posting here with comments) is helpful).

Thanks all for the positive comments. Here's a video of the futuristic pistol, just finished:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ6EVxL0rW4&feature=youtube_gdata

Sorry for the jerky part. This baby holds 30 rounds and fires semi-automatic with high responsiveness. You can empty it pretty quickly if you click fast enough. The futuristic machine gun will be built off this model, but will be bigger, requiring two hands to hold it, and will spray a full mag of 40 rounds very quickly.

Note that the pistol does not fire an instantaneous bullet. It fires a fast-moving laser. This and the auto will be great for providing support.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 10:53
Automatic version of the pistol is in. It has an extended mag, holds 60 rounds, and fires rapidly.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2010 00:22
Nice work on all the updates and the catapult texture.

Any possibility to see some vehicle physic demos?

9cdfb439c7876e703e307864c9167a15
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2010 10:30
I think I can arrange that. Right now, I'm redoing the animations for the player, because I got the model from Josh Mooney. It's looking good!
Sergeant Mike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2010 17:49
Looks good! Will for sure be giving this a try! This would be a great online game that would take me away from what Ive been playing for years ! WIll be watching this one.

The Few.. The Proud.. The Marines
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2010 04:34
Great man, thanks! Be sure to drop me an email (unclesamtgc (at) gmail (dot) com), so I can put you on the list.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2010 10:09 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 10:00
Just so you know, been working on adding the new character. It's really tough re-animating ALL THE ANIMATIONS....Could take a bit, but once it's done we can celebrate.

EDIT: Animations are coming along great now. Also, I finished the punishing system, so that captains and commanders can punish units below them. I may revise it so that a warning is required first before punishing will be available. Right now, you can punish for 60 seconds at a time, which will transport them into the now-finished jail building.

Coming tomorrow: Finishing up those vehicles, and possibly working some more on animations. I've always been dealing with making sure all weapons appear on other players as they are being used.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2010 10:51 Edited at: 15th Aug 2010 23:07
Great progress today.

-Added the actual jail model.
-Made jumping more realistic.
-Added sprinting.
-Added animations for getting shot. It works pretty good. The target flies in the direction that he was shot from.
-Added some more interface for the techs.
-Lemonade finished the scifi-weapon supply.

To finish before the beta:
-Polish up the loading screen.
-Finish vehicles.
-Finish graphics options.
-Add a couple features such as spawning at outposts and reloading.
-Fix the major bugs.

That's pretty much it!

EDIT: We've begun noting all bugs and will start to kill them in preparation for the beta. We're testing the gameplay itself by playing a 1 vs 1 match, and in the process we can find any problems or glitches. Once we can successfully play a game with all the features we want to include, the beta will be ready.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 09:43
I really hate to post four times in a row, but since no one is posting anymore I want to assure you all that it is still more than alive.

Did so much today. Fixed 13 bugs, 2 of which were major. Basically at this point, we try to play each other, and then when we encounter a bug that hinders the gameplay or makes it impossible, we stop and work on the bugs. Soon we should be able to fully complete a 1vs1 game, which isn't what it was designed for of course, but it will at least show that a beta will be possible.

Also, we worked on the interface some more, and I added some images for the loading screen that give some instructions for the game.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 17:03
Quote: "no one is posting anymore"

I hate to break the news, but the WIP board is gradually turning into the general public. - Where no one has an attention span of more than 10 seconds. They see something awesome, acknowledge it's awesome then move onto something new or back to what they loved most.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a server(well my dad). 10 gigs ram, 2.7 quad core. But what about internet usage? Does this game suck up alot of it?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 20:52
Quote: "I hate to break the news, but the WIP board is gradually turning into the general public. - Where no one has an attention span of more than 10 seconds. They see something awesome, acknowledge it's awesome then move onto something new or back to what they loved most."

You're right, and I have to admit I'm guilty of this myself at least to a certain extent.

To All: Think of this thread as your chance to get your ideas into the game before it's finished. It won't last forever!

Quote: "I have a server(well my dad). 10 gigs ram, 2.7 quad core. But what about internet usage? Does this game suck up alot of it?"

The game would take probably just about as much as any other shooter, give or take. I guess I can't give you actual figures because I haven't tested it with a full amount of players, but if you're interested in hosting a game for at least awhile that would be great.
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
So I guess it send player position, health and those other varibles, the gun theyre using. Shouldnt take too much usage( only got 95 gigs you know).

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 04:55
Oh, 95 gigs bandwidth a month? That's pretty high, although it depends on what else is running on the server of course. Either way, you can just test it for a few hours and see how much it uses (if there's a clear way to see it).
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 18:31 Edited at: 18th Aug 2010 18:35
How do I host it then? Ill probably do it if another person is so if I run out of bandwidth or something, there is another person to do it. Also I like in Ontario(canada). But my ping when I play CS isnt too bad (Fav sevrer is in Cali, 60 ping or so).

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
How do I host it then?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 20:53
That's good ping. Don't worry, other people have offered to host as well.

Once you have the game, you must click "Host Internet" to host it online. The question though is, if the server is at your home, you may need to forward a port if you have a router, although if it's your dad's server he probably knows all the details.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 22:25
just a question, will you have an option to choose between a dedicated console server and an in game server that allows you to play?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2010 04:29
Unfortunately it is only dedicated. Right now it is in-game, but only because I need to test things. When the beta is ready, the server will render nothing and will take up minimum system resources. If you have a decent computer, you should probably be able to run it while playing. Right now I run it when testing and open a second copy of the game and join the server, and it renders.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
core
Quote: "I have a server(well my dad). 10 gigs ram, 2.7 quad core. But what about internet usage? Does this game suck up alot of it?"

if the server is written in DBPro then it would take up 100% of 1 core

I'm loving this uncle sam! Can't wait to see it being played

Is't life, I ask, is't even prudence, to bore thyself and bore thy students?
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2010 16:49
How do I sign up? I didn't see a download.... can I just say I want in?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2010 19:41 Edited at: 20th Aug 2010 10:02
Quote: "if the server is written in DBPro then it would take up 100% of 1 core"

Hahaha, probably.

Quote: "I'm loving this uncle sam! Can't wait to see it being played"

Thanks. Me too!

Quote: "How do I sign up? I didn't see a download.... can I just say I want in?"

Sure, it's just I need to add your email address to the list. Is it the one you have on this forum? 'Cause I can add you myself. If not, I've just been having people email me at unclesamtgc (at) gmail (dot) com (or click the email button).

EDIT: By the way, been working hard getting the game ready. Some of the things I've done include fixing bugs (a few major ones, many minor ones), adding a new building, adding visuals for wall damage, and many other things. It's really coming together for the beta.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 10:26
Solved a lot of bugs today. Btw, the project is over 15,000 lines now.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 20:26
Nice, just posting to let you know i'm still watching this project!

9cdfb439c7876e703e307864c9167a15
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 10:20 Edited at: 24th Aug 2010 10:27
Thank you! Encouragement like that really helps, especially when it's really tough and time-consuming to hunt down all these bugs. :/

I know I keep saying this, but it really is getting close. Today I added the gate and made it so that the commander can click a button to open and close it. In the future, I hope to add the ability to crush people or vehicles underneath it.

We've also added texture options that apply to almost all the buildings now. It will apply to the weapons also soon. It will be a big help performance-wise for those on older machines. Low texture quality = 512x512, medium 1024x1024, high 2048,2048.

More to come. I'm not giving up. The beta will be soon.
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 19:27 Edited at: 24th Aug 2010 19:29
Hey Sam, just wanted to report back that I'm back from vacation and would be able to host a beta server for you.
Although that would probably just be in the afternoon/evening in 'european time' [GMT+0200], we already talked about that on MSN.
Or maybe I can host it at night as well...

And as always progress is looking really f*kin' good
Can't wait to actually play [around with] the beta!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 19:20:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 19:20:00