Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 17:34
i havent read cupcakes or rainbow factory, but i did see completley butchered versions of those stories by the dude who created mentally advanced series, Those stories are so stupidly butchered up its actually hilarios and i am guessing much less violent.

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 19:42 Edited at: 21st Feb 2012 19:44
Well, I did read cupcakes soon after becoming a Brony, wasn't the best idea... but yeah it's like watching the Saw movies, only that the main characters are from a little kids cartoon, and you actually care about them... dunno... that was pretty eww.
I like to think it ended like this for example. Much better.
http://mickeymonster.deviantart.com/art/Cupcakes-Alternate-Ending-283403900

Didn't read Rainbow Factory, but I saw that parody animation about it, which had some weird comical randomness ending instead of killing things... I liked that.
About the actual story, I have this but haven't read that. Dunno if it's the original version. Approach with caution.

Today I spent the whole afternoon reading "Shipping and Handling" :3
Well the description there and the tags say it all. Ditzy Doo lost her job as a mailmare, and found a new job, but they "ship" ponies. When I started I was thinking this was some weird story with lots of actual shipping and weird obnoxious OCs in it... well it's not! There are OCs in it, yes, but I like them very much and it wouldn't work without those I guess. And the ponies being "shipped" per chapter are Ponyvillians, some Mane six appearances, the CMC eventually get their adventures too. But as I said. It's not so much about the ships themselves, but about how Ditzy brings them to notice each other or helps them in some way, and it's written much like the show in a comedy way with everyone staying in character as far as I've seen it. What actually happens to them after that is not mentioned. The last chapter might be taking it too far, and seemed a little strange to me (with the characters involved), but I loved it as much as the other chapters
So yeah, I liked this one
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 20:26 Edited at: 21st Feb 2012 20:27
Here's the link : Rainbow Factory

Once you're crying and sobbing into your pillow, click the following few links to cheer yourself up:

(comedy) Mythbuckers
(yaplap) Find a ****** Pet
(song) Avast Rainbow Dash's Ass
(funny) Susan Boyle Parody
(instant win) Gorgio loves Sonic

Does anyone else know some really depressing stories like those last 3 I read? I found my work is 30% more productive at my company when I'm depressed, and once I recover I feel absolutely awesome!

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 20:36
Hey that's the same link like I posted
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 20:44 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2012 11:27
Oh sorry, I must have not noticed the blue underlined [href=www.nyan.cat]this[/href]

Does anyone know any other depressing fan fics?

TheComet

The TOTAL size of your sig can only be 600x120, including text and links.
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 22:25 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2012 00:55
Sorry, I only read things with the tags [Shipping] [Adventure] or [Comedy]
Or if they receive good ratings and comments and such on EqD, I figure some sad or light grimdark stories might be actually good, so I have some of those bookmarked too.

Oh and so amazon sent me that mail at 2am this morning, that my tablet wouldn't be sent until the 24th. Then 10h later i receive an email saying it has been sent and will arrive tomorrow I still think Derpy just forgot where she put the package again.
I really want to see how horrible my first attempts at using that thing will be...

edit:
http://fav.me/d4l40x9
This comic... I'm tearing up again...
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 01:30
Meooow.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 11:16
finally finished reading rainbow factory

RBDash being in it was a major turnoff IMO..

And it wasnt even half that horrid as people says it is :S

But it was good, very good

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 12:40
Just finished chapter 20 of "the empety room" really good stuff but the book is unfinished so i started reading another fanfic called nights favored child. I really like fanfics that involve some kind of political intrigue/conspiracy and adventure. especially if it has nightmare moon in it she is awesome, kindof like the Darth Vader of Equestria or something.

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 12:50
Just realized, at 6 in the morning, one of the songs in my school musicals is now awesome. Er, more awesome.

We're doing Into The Woods Jr, a shortened version of the Into The Woods broadway play with music by Steven Sondheim (Maker of Putting it Together, which Art of The Dress is based off). The opening scene is Into The Gala! It's Woods, not Gala, but they even have the
-To prove
-To sell
-To have
-TO talk
and etc. It's awesome once I realized it. And I play Jack.... and I got Applejack on the pony test.... WHAT ARE THESE DARK ARTS BEING PRACTICED?

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 20:30
Woo! I got my tablet

So I browsed the web with it the whole day to get used to it, because I still tend to forget it works like "whole tablet" == "whole screen" and not like the notebook touchpad where you drag the cursor around.
And now i decided to start GIMP and pick a random brush (somehow used a caligraphic brush the whole time and didn't even change it's size xD) and ended up drawing pinkie pie

Oh and yeah the default canvas size in Gimp apparently is 640x400? That's pretty small

http://sta.sh/01m1s778xjt1
I still think SAI would be cooler than GIMP for some things... haven't installed ArtRage yet though. I'll look at that next.

So if I practice proportions (with or without tablet, I fail at those) this should be useable, I had expected worse first results xD

~RedFlames
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 22:08
Yay for tabletness!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 22:15 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2012 22:16
Wooh, it arrived early! Now draw something or I'll

[EDIT]

Found a larger version:

TheComet

The TOTAL size of your sig can only be 600x120, including text and links.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 22:21 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2012 22:22
Noooooooo not comet's sig!

swis - No, it's not pokemon.
93% of human interaction is non-verbal.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 22:34 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2012 22:36
Fear not, for I have scaled it by the 12 pixels it was too high! (Hmm, photobucket keeps the old image for a few hours for some reason)

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Dashie! Missed you! I do think it's funny her front half is in your avatar, while the the majority of the rest continues in your sig Also, didn't you post looking for a larger sheet of the inbred ponies months ago? Must've been a long wait, worth it though wasn't it? Love the "rainjack".

@ Cormorant - Bark

&& previous post from tablet had to fight the auto correct for sig, not sign

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 00:05
Quote: "Wooh, it arrived early! Now draw something or I'll "

I'm planning to draw with it, no need to shoot penguins...

Quote: "&& previous post from tablet had to fight the auto correct for sig, not sign "

Hah if I use the windows 7 handwriting recognition it expects german words, and when I tried to write here it always guessed german words and "corrected" things... But it works quite good for german. Although I don't see why one would use it, if you have a keyboard...

__
http://fav.me/d4qircc
... A 72 cm (2"4') Scootaloo?! I want this so much. Even though it would be weird to have this sitting in your room... but I want it!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 00:46
Through 10 episodes. So...I guess I should take a chance at fan fiction, see if the happiness and fluffiness has rubbed off on me.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 01:09
what would a cutie mark for enjoying suffering and pain look like...?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 02:19
Bloodied Knife + Smiley face?

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 05:44 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2012 05:48
[href=http://fav.me/d4qnyel]http://2edflames.deviantart.com/art/Darkness-286652397/
[/href]
Edit: $%&/* this! WHY WON'T YOU LINK IN ANY WAY D:< I'm out. And no, I didn't forget the [/href ]. Dunno why it's not working.

I think I'll go to bed now... Oh and I read this story. It's pretty well written, and interesting concept behind it. It might be a bit vague, and not even pony related (really it could aswell be a sci-fi/fantasy setting without any ponies.) but it made me think. Maybe this caused that picture I did there. I don't know.
I'll just go to bed. And tomorrow... I don't want to think about tomorrow, thanks.

~discorded!RedFlames
(Sorry I don't completely know why or what I'm writing. Please proceed to ignore this.)
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 08:07 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2012 08:10
Let me try...

EDIT : Heh, Hiding a "favourite me" link are we now?

EDIT2 : (Changed it to a code snippet so you can see what worked)

TheComet

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 13:52
Hah today went better than expected... my life is not ruined I guess... I was really nervious and frightened last night which was more like this morning

That link, fav.me is just deviantart's url shortening thing
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 17:38
I'd be interested to see how that turns out, Sepp.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 18:42
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 18:53
I'll see what I can come up with this weekend, I'm getting nearer and nearer to getting this demo cooked up, so I've been focusing on that lately. Plus, I've set myself the deadline for the end of Feb.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2012 08:22
I can highly recommend checking this out. This guy has compiled all of the good fan fics out there to PDF files (he didn't write any).

http://maximillianveers.deviantart.com/gallery/31093108

CoffeeGrunt, is your story there too?

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2012 14:33
I'm half way through the story, it's amazing Anthopology

TheComet

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2012 15:23
Yeah, they're somewhere in there, Comet...
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2012 16:02
Anthopology was good but it kinda died on me on the last chapter, it was good up till the last chapter tho, honestley i think it should have ended there but whatevs

I really like the starwars one, i kinda hope the do all starwars episodes (nightmare moon is darth vader in this one and fluttershy & angel= C3Po & R2D2 ).

Currentley reading Ponies make war, it has good rating, but i am not getting into it very much, but i suppose i should give it a chance, These stories tend to get better with every chapter as it gathers followers and editors and more people get involved in writing them.

So far the "Nights Favored Child" is the best ive read and i have a bad craving for more. The whole political intrigue in that story is just really interesting (and somewhat similar to some real world political situations) and the charecters are so well written.http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/08/story-nights-favored-child.html
There should be more fanfics with political intrigue in my opinion.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2012 18:41
Quote: "Yeah, they're somewhere in there, Comet..."

Ah yeah, found it I'll be sure to read it and give you my feedback

TheComet

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 01:45 Edited at: 25th Feb 2012 01:46
DING!

I know what I'm gonna write!

MLP Alien crossfic!

But but but but! It won't be Xenomorphs slaughtering ponies I swear! Though the sadistic part of me as a writer REALLY wants to do that. But I bet Fluttershy could tame a Xenomorph.

[edit]

Lol:

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 03:33
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/4051/Aitran
Oh my gosh, it's a Myst crossover

I loved Myst, especially Riven and Exile (never really played the first one...) when I was a kid. I never would've made it through without my trusty walkthrough book though >.>
Only played up to Myst III:Exile but as I see it the story starts with the first game...

I guess this fic is very high up in my to-read list.
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 21:09 Edited at: 25th Feb 2012 21:32
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/derpy-has-been-modified.html

Faith in humanity: 0%

I don't want to live on this planet anymore >=(

But seriously, did they need to do that? I understand, if "Derpy" was copyrighted or something, that they can't say her name, or whatever (I don't know if that's the reason.) but why fix her eyes and voice? I wouldn't think there was any harm or anything wrong with how she originally was, even though her voice actress thought Derpy was male
And then there's this journal entry from someone who works on the show (animator for FiM) and he says Derpy has not been completely altered... I guess in the end they had no other choice than dong this, and somehow I think all the panic in the fandom did not help with it.

I think I'm gonna watch the original canon derpy a few times now

Edit: Okay after my initial shock "OH GOD WHAT IS THIS D:" I realize the voice is not all that unfitting. But why is she un-derped in that scene... I guess if it's only this once I can live with that. But still. Why. in. the. name. of. Celestia?!

Relevant:
BaldDumboRat's reaction (the bestest fanon Derpy voice)

I'm crying now.

Thanks you, Derpy Hooves. You have brought incedibly much happiness to this fandom, and we will always live you, no matter what. I am undescribably sad it had to end in this.

And not even new ponies today D: This is the. worst. possible. DAY. Goddamnit.

(And yes, i realize this is not the end of the world, nor is this the only reason why we love ponies. But it's still just sad, how things happened. There's no single person or company/whatever to blame... But it could've been so much better, without the needless outrage/drama whatever in the first place. I honestly don't get it, how and why these things happened.)
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 01:42
Quote: "but why fix her eyes and voice? I wouldn't think there was any harm or anything wrong with how she originally was, even though her voice actress thought Derpy was male "

Fairly sure its because people (including me) sees her as retarded and thus (i dont) see her as offensive to retarded people

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 01:49
Yeah, pretty much as Quik said, 'derp' comes from South Park's portrayal of mentally disabled people, though in satire of course and the internet community uses in satire too. In the same way we call a friend a retard we mock them by saying 'derp', unfortunately retard is still an offensive term for somebody who's mentally challenged, even if it's never meant in that way, we mean in the way that somebody isn't acting in particular smart fashion, like calling someone stupid, which I'm sure they do allow on kids' TV.

Of course, it'll be an annoyance for the community and bronies and those who don't support censorship. TBH, as far as I aware this was only an injoke for the internet community of bronies and wouldn't have thought something like that would cause censorship.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 01:52 Edited at: 26th Feb 2012 01:57
Quote: "Fairly sure its because people (including me) sees her as retarded and thus (i dont) see her as offensive to retarded people"

How does being wall-eyed equal mentally handicapped? I have to admit, I have not met many disabled people in my life. But I am very certain that having misaligned eyes, or not being able to speak as well as others, direct implies that someone is dumb or stupid or "not right in the head". I will never understand people who make that connection. and I will never understand why Derpy Hooves was "fixed". I thought this show was about the lessons of "friendship" and other morals. I thought this fandom was about "love & tolerance". I must've been very mistaken.

(sorry I'm not attacking you, just very dissapointed in certain groups, who made this happen to us.)

Edit: @Sepp I wasn't aware that "derp" directly means "retarded". I thought it was meant as a word to describe being silly or accidently doing something stupid, etc.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 01:56
Quote: "How does being wall-eyed equal mentally handicapped?"

wall eyed, "stupid", clumsy etc
and her voice sounds... well "slow and unintelligent"

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 02:02 Edited at: 26th Feb 2012 02:06
Quote: "
wall eyed, "stupid", clumsy etc
and her voice sounds... well "slow and unintelligent""

I know that certain people think this immediatly means someone isn't as smart as they are, but I assure you, it does not. The way I read your previous comment you had the same impression, that Derpy is retarded?
(By the way at some point Tabitha St. Germain explained that she thought the character she was voicing was male, and had thought of the slow way her 8 year old neighbour's boy spoke, but not of a "retarded" person. No one ever implied Derpy was disabled, except for those wo jump to such conclusions. )

And using the words "retarded" or "gay" or similar to say something is "stupid" is just the most abhorent thing people can do. I know, sometimes one doesn't actually pay attention to what they say; but I still think this is pretty awful.

(Again, sorry I'm trying not to direct my anger against you. I'm just a little bit aggravated...)
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 02:05
Quote: "And using the words "retarded" or "gay" or similar to say something is "stupid" is just the most abhorent thing people can do. I know, sometimes one doesn't actually pay attention to what they say; but I still think this is pretty awful."

If nearby to retarded or gay people, yes
if joking around with friends then no, i do not agree

Quote: "The way I read your previous comment you had the same impression, that Derpy is retarded?"

Pretty much yes, or atleast mentally challanged because it definitly seemed that way to me, and a lot of others but unlike th eothers i dont find it being offensive -> its no more offensive than having a black or white person in a movie, for example.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 02:14 Edited at: 26th Feb 2012 02:16
Actually, I'm not quite sure it relates to mental handicap, I was think of the episode where Cartman enters the paralympics, but he actually says 'duhhh'. I think 'derp' is softer, just somebody who does something foolish (like Mr Derp or Rob Schneider)...at least it seems how Matt Stone and Trey Parker portray it and it's their word. Though, you could see why it might be associated with mental handicapped people because it sounds like an offensive portrayal of them.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 02:16 Edited at: 26th Feb 2012 02:17
I think they took this the wrong way... Why not have a whole episode about accepting Derpy as a friend dispite her differences. (like too many fics before it)

whoops it double posted...
have some happy

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I think they took this the wrong way... Why not have a whole episode about accepting Derpy as a friend dispite her differences. (like too many fics before it)

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 02:18
Well, I have an autistic brother. His eyes are perfectly aligned, his voice is normal, and he hasn't levelled the house, yet...

Seriously, those who claim Derpy is an insult to mentally challenged individuals, are in themselves being horrifically insulting to them by drawing that connection.

Just show me this. Show me one, mentally challenged person who was saddened enough to YouTube themselves discussing it.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 02:26
It is the case when it comes to political correctness I'm afraid...funnily enough, South Park even has an episode tackling the exact some topic (Cartman's hate crime). It's mostly people who don't belong to the so-called effected group who do most of the talking, I understand that there are offensive stereotypes out there and certain traits can be drawn from them, but 1) those offensive stereotypes don't represent reality, to suggest so is an insult 2) those traits on their own might not represent that offensive stereotype.

Derp is generally not used to mean anything retarded or 'mentally challenged' as the technical term is considered offensive.

People tend to say 'duh' when somebody says something stupid and it is innocently portrayed across the media, despite the fact Eric Cartman's portrayal of mentally challenged people is to continuously repeat 'duhhhh'. So really, derp should be no different.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 12:08 Edited at: 26th Feb 2012 13:13
Despite how stupid and ridiculous this whole derpy issue is, it's the politically correct thing to do. Luckily I downloaded the episode before they made the change

TheComet

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 15:09
I'm just gunna bury my opinion on this. I don't agree with it to any degree...
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 19:28 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2018 01:57
[deleted]
Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2012 14:21
Hope you don't mind me putting my foot in the door here, or whatever the appropriate metaphor is.

Retardation is no joke, whether used as a soft insult or actually picking on the mentally handicapped. I have a slight mental condition called Maladaptive Daydreaming, and if someone were to pick on me for it, I wouldn't mind. But that's just me. There's a lot of people who find things offensive that I don't, or you don't, but if some brony out there does think it's offensive, we can't be mad at him taking offense at Derpy, that's not our business.

And that's how I view it, but I only skimmed what you guys said, I'm assuming they're getting rid of Derpy because people are offended? based on your comments?

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2012 14:30
Well so far there's no official statement. That 'Kreoss' guy, who apparently is an FiM animator, over at deviantArt said Derpy was going to be okay. And some other places I read the rumor that iTunes started this, because they had to take the episode down and then modified it (well they can't do that without Hasbro/Studio B/whoever knowing)... I think the people who are actually making the show are not too happy about all this either, as they were the ones who put Derpy in there after all.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 05:21:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 05:21:31