Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2011 21:32
We accept anyone except for Micheal Bolton!

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2011 21:43
Had to Google him...what's the issue?

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 00:38
He's an oldie singer, he's trying to come back but pretty much failing... Weird Al posted a video on Youtube where he was on tour with some band and he asked "Is there any bus rules?" and the singer replied "No drinks, drugs, tobacco or Micheal Bolton." Just kind of referencing that.

Sorry.

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 00:40 Edited at: 26th Jun 2011 00:41
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 01:00
That song is weird...I noth like and hate it at exactly the same time.

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 03:32
Quote: "noth "

both?

By the way, my friends teased me. Didn't abandon me. Apparently they don't completely hate me but I noticed today they don't look at me the same. If only they would try it, but it seems they are forever stuck on stage one of brony development. Complete and utter denial.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 03:57 Edited at: 26th Jun 2011 03:58
That stage is nice.

My hate is fake btw, just kidding with you guys. :3

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 10:50
Well this thread has officially been up for a month! I was expecting 3 days, but it hung on in there!

Join the herd, Indi.

@Cormorant

Yeh, it's near impossible to make close-minded people try things. Appeal to their egos, tell them the real reason they won't try it is because they're scared of liking it and looking "gay."

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 11:12
now you guys are starting to sound kind of dumb there, there is no need to approach with insults and "appeal to their egos". They dont HAVE to watch it

and for the record, I am a man.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 12:16
It is every mans destiny to watch My Little Pony, if the deny their destiny, they will never reach moksha and inner peace. Just sayin'.

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 13:31
CoffeeGrunt said it, not me.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 20:52 Edited at: 26th Jun 2011 21:18
Quote: "now you guys are starting to sound kind of dumb there, there is no need to approach with insults and "appeal to their egos". They dont HAVE to watch it"

I never said you should insult them? I also said that you simply wouldn't be able to get them to watch it anyway, so there's no need to push them to.

I got that exact response from one of my friends, which was a funny moment. He simply said he understood the show must be good - it wouldn't be this popular or have my attention if it wasn't. He plain just admitted that he was scared of liking it like it'd force him to become gay.

I wasn't sayign Cormorant should call them gay - there's no problem with gay people. I was saying they most likely share the...let's be honest, pretty damn prolithic view that MLP is a girl's show, and that people who watch girl's shows, are automatically gay.

Even though being gay is completely unrelated. I pretty sure there's gay people who love or like the show, as well as some who probably hate it like everyone else.

/Edit/

On a slightly brighter note - my story got accepted.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/06/story-i-wont-see-you-tonight.html

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2011 03:42
I'm so happy for you!

And also sad you beat me.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2011 13:45
Yeh, I was talking to the readers in GDocs chat - one of them cried at the ending. Mission accomplished.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2011 18:18 Edited at: 27th Jun 2011 19:34
Hey! I finally got around to watching the first 4 of these, er, in a row. I always hated the power-puff girls and all the other cartoons you guys have referenced, but... I'm afraid you've rolled a 20 CoffeeGrunt, this isn't that bad. Once you get around the extreme cheesyness. It's not my FAVORTIE cartoon but it's actually pretty good. Stuff like twilight sparkle referencing casanova and their adaption of the bunny hill song for the chase scene. Clever. So I might stick around. Though I'm no Quel, my high scepticism stat keeps me sane... well not really but... I like to stare at the ponies... er, and I actually beleive Wolf's slightly unusual comment is spot on.

Edit: Oh, also, Nice job on your story Coffee. I really liked the defined yet still unexpected path the story took, but I'll also throw in my 2 cents of advise, but mind you, it was fantastic, and I hope you do more. Anyways I would have liked the descriptive aspects to be a little more defined. More of that "show not tell" stuff they'd also tell us at school. You can tell the reader that they cried or really show the reader they did. It's good to asume the readers aren't completely stupid and can take a clever hint. Well, it doesn't even have to be subtle and probably shouldn't be. You could say something like "as she stared at the erie corpse of her beloved mother she felt something in her eye. The something was wet. It was cold and angry. It screamed. The wet demon crawled down her face leaving a rotting pain in it's wake as it reached for the cold ground. She turned to her sister, and stared into a mirror of herself." Okay so that was a mess but I TRIED to make a point. It was BAD. I didn't read over it. But hopefully you'll understand what I'm saying and I really hope you do more because it was fanstatic!

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2011 20:21
I was getting pressured for a sequel, which was eerily nice in a way. I'm glad you enjoyed it, it took alot of submissions to get fleshed out and fixed up to the point that they'd accept it. I'm trying to improve my writing style as I continue, alot of people said they liked the different direction I gave to the Trixie character, so I'm aiming to do a sequel that takes her life on a different route to the other Trixie fanfics.

Also it's good that you enjoy the show. It has more depth than people give it credit for. MLP:FiM is like a swimming pool, looking at it from above, it looks shallow, but when you dive in you realise just how deep it is.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "MLP:FiM is like a swimming pool, looking at it from above, it looks shallow, but when you dive in you realise just how deep it is."

That's pretty dead on. Because the plot usually isn't the ingaging part. It's the rest. I still can't stand the my little pony theme though XD Those horid old commercials... Anyways I'll probably watch the rest.

It's good to find a unique writing stye to to keep things from getting bland. Makes you memorable too. I write very dramatically, deeply, comically. Well, different. People usually like it, but those LA teachers and essays... Anyways... Keep up the good work!

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2011 20:48
I wish I could write comedy, I'm okay with cracking out one-liners, but actually sitting down and writing something funny always falls flat for me.

I also can't listen to the intro theme, but I just wait 'til it starts, skip ~40 seconds, then enjoy the rest of the show.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I could go seinfeld all day I still have haunting memories of when the my little pony advert for the toys showed 3 TIMES IN A ROW! I can't tell jokes though. I crash and burn! I can't even pronounce words correctly...

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2011 21:47
I don't actually watch TV much. There's very little over here in Britain worth watching, what I do watch is pretty much all comedy. Top Gear, standup comedy, (which I feel is one of the few things Britain can boast about), and the odd Dr Who episode.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup, American TV is the only TV worth watching.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh Dr. Who. I don't watch much television either, like ever. I've seen Top Gear, but not much of it. BTW MLP: FiM isn't actually on TV right? It's got me lost there... Developed for TV... But I've never heard of it ON TV...

swis
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2011 00:01
swedish TV shows are crap... D': but thats because I honestly dont like my own language that much >_> especially not in movies or books

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
That would have been a great excuse for your slapping quik Although TGC mods are made of steel when they want to be... (that's a compliment )

I shouldn't cross threads but misuse of a bad word sounds suspicious And all the while your avatar is Fluttershy

swis
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2011 03:05
hah, well I am not going to pronouce the word here but: 6/20/11: Using "$$" to say -(in a derogatory way). Slapped for 7 days."

since iam not sure if iam at all supposed to use the word here it has been edited out.

second time i get slapped >_> well well, shoes happen, and you learn by mistakes i suppose

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2011 05:22
Today I was watching MLP on The HUB, and it said "We'll be right back when Rainbow Dash finds her cutie mark!"

I broke my TV.

And also, Swissolo, change your avatar. Join the herd*.

*Herd is code for cult

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline

Thought you might enjoy this.

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2011 16:58
That is kind of funny.

Not really funny, but kind of funny.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2011 17:17
its cute as shoes!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm... I don't quite understand the picture. Creeper-Exploding?
How to those relate to each other or MLP:FiM? Still a little clever though.

Quote: "And also, Swissolo, change your avatar. Join the herd*."

Maybe. I'd lose the professional style. But my avatar's bad anyways. I'll bet no one understands it And the professional thing I had going didn't cross into this forum because I barely posted for the first 3 years(my join date is wrong. I actually joined just a little after quik) I have been seeing ponies everywhere and they have replaced all social life. Maybe.

Quote: "*Herd is code for cult"

You mean colt.

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2011 21:44
@Indicium

Minecraft and MLP? Prepare to be 1-upped!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/06/3d-minecraft-pinkie-pie.html

Also Boomerang is going to start showing MLP over here in Britainland.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
@CoffeeGrunt
Whoa...

swis
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, that's awesome CG.

@swissolo

uh, it doesn't. I found it while browsing. Don't ask.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
XD

You know the pinkie pie song from episode 9 would make a great ringtone (the version with flutter-guy of course)

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 18:24
I had an pony epiphany, (epipony?), today. I was helping redecorate my sister's new house, and got the fun job of stripping wallpaper. Took me a good hour to do one wall with some Disturbed filling the background, shuffle throws me Winter Wrap Up, and before the song ended I'd done a whole other wall.

MLP is amazing for motivation.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
My first epipony was when I realised watching MLP made me feel so... good. It's magic!

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2011 01:22
I made a deal with my friends, as they're always badgering me to get WoW. If they watch the first four episodes of MLP, I buy WoW. For each one that openly admits to liking it, I buy a month's sub on top.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh. That sounds like if you jump into this pit, I'll jump into that one. Maybe it's a good pit. A 5 star pit. But either way once you jump no-ones getting back out. XD

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2011 18:29
Yeh, they liked it. Cost is gunna burn me...

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2011 00:29
I should do that, haha.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2011 22:07

On another note, I commissioned Ponychan to make me a relevant fanart for my fanfic...but I'm not too optimistic about it.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2011 14:18
I got all teary eyed when I saw it. He's waiting on the payment to go through before he sends me the high-res version.

I'm so printing this as a poster:

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
That's a beautiful picture How much do they charge for those things?

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2011 20:03
$15, about a tenner Brit-side. I got it in 300dpi poster quality, gotta find a local printing office that doesn't hate ponies, and a good excuse for having it on my wall.

It's amazing though. It's just...perfect for the feel I wanted in my fanfic.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
excuse 1: I'm getting it printed for my cousin.

excuse 2: ... I'm getting paid a lot of money to do this...

It is a pretty brilliant picture though.

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2011 00:28
I know, the guy got it great, without reading the fic, first time. I must be great at describing what I want.

I have an excuse for my parents, and I don't really care about a printing shop counter assistnt I'll never meet again. Although if they turn out to be a brony, that'd be freaking awesome.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2011 21:16
Out of curiosity, what's everyone's favourite episodes? Mine are Party of One, followed by Sonic Rainboom and...probably Cutie Mark Chronicles.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2011 21:30 Edited at: 6th Jul 2011 21:47
think i love A Dog and Pony Show
and i love Green isnt your color aswell (ZE MAGICKSSS)
followed up by random episode featuring fluttershy as a main character lol

oooh and i love A Bird in the Hoof

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2011 21:47
Call of the Cutie
Show Stoppers
Cutie Mark Chronicles

See a pattern?

Also of course Party of One, and Suited for Success is a good one too. I hate Rarity but that song shows how much depth Rarity's character has.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2011 21:48
My favourite's Pinkie Pie atm. The voice acting in Party of One is just...awesome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 05:35:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 05:35:07