Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V120 Public Beta 18 (RC)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 04:17 Edited at: 13th Dec 2012 04:39
@SC
Would it be possible for you to re-enable the ladder code left over from EA? I've been playing around with EA and the ladder's really do work well. So do the player deaths, I mean, they're physics deaths (or are really convincing to be)! Why in the world were they removed!

Good work on the update by the way

-TZK

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "There's till the "water+lightrays" reflections issue"

The lightrays have never been a stable feature, and to be honest aren't really supported.

@S4Real - Thanks for the reminder about the culling. I'll take a look, I'm sure it's something simple.

As a note regarding the lifts. In this case the script changes are the best solution, and will as FL has stated be part of the next beta. Attempts to fix the issue from the source will almost certainly cause/reinstate other problems.

Quote: "Would it be possible for you to re-enable the ladder code left over from EA?"

In a word, no.. Sorry. These last few builds are 100% about fixing issues and stability. This would come under the heading of a feature. I'm not privy to why any changes were made to the EA version, but I'm fairly sure that they were removed with good reason.

SC
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 08:59
@Scene Commander
That's okay, I understand. Thanks for the response.

-TZK

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 11:08
From what I remember, when physics was added to FPSC that was when we lost the ladders; so that's the choice-physics or ladders. Why this is, I have no idea but that was what was told to us in the EA days. I'd rather keep my physics and use the makeshift ladders that we have now.

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
@flatlander did you try my script also?

I did not see any loop and it also is not good for my fps. My problem is that if fpsc is in this line :plrcurrentweapon=... and should check this when it is true, the frame drops. But if i replace this with plrhealth=... or anything else it is stable. With your tutorial you help maybe ncmako, but not me! So where is my fault. Say me please!

Corno

you need a script? I need useful requests at the moment!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200918&b=23
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 15:18
@ Corno_1 & Flatlander
No luck with plrcurrentweapon. I'm still playing with it, but my fps still drop to 2 or less.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 16:39 Edited at: 13th Dec 2012 16:40
@ Corno_1 & ncmako

Since this is not a bug, let's take this to your thread, 'Has anyone used the "currentweapon" condition?' here.

THEORY - you know everything but nothing works. PRACTICE - when everything works but don't know why. For me, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and I don't know why.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 00:32
"The only thing that the higher frame rates can cause an ill effect is with the animation of decals".

Ah I see - Decals thats another thing that dont work with me correctly anymore. I use quite a few decals.

Not to worry I am just confirming I get the issue. I am not developing with FPSC currently.

xtom2
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I just received and installed my copy of fps creator today. So I've tried v1 installed out of the box, v1.18, v1.19 and v1.20 beta 6 in fairly quick succession over the last couple of hours. I definately notice the wobble effect that people are talking about in this beta6 version and it wasn't present in any of the previous versions I tried. A little wobble might be ok but sometimes it wobbles for about a second which does make it feel strange.

Also in general the player jump seems a bit floaty in newer versions compared to v1 which seemed more realistic to me. For example in ww2.fpm jumping down the starting corridor it feels as if the players head is stuck to the ceiling for a little while because of the floaty jump. It feels like a low gravity jump that might be suited to the scifi theme.

Also I'm using a laptop and the enter key is not being detected when testing a game. So I can't open doors or interact with buttons etc. I notice some other users made posts about this and I wonder if it's a laptop keyboard issue? Anyway as someone who just installed the software this seems to me like a major game breaking bug and it would put me off using the software pretty quickly.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "but sometimes it wobbles for about a second which does make it feel strange."

This has been fixed for beta 7

Quote: "I'm using a laptop and the enter key is not being detected when testing a game."

This is the first I've heard of this issue, and it does sound like a hardware issue. If as xtom2 stated this is has been experienced by other users please could you let me know.

SC
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If as xtom2 stated this is has been experienced by other users please could you let me know."

I have a laptop too and i did not have this issue. I can open doors. Maybe you should update your drivers.

you need a script? I need useful requests at the moment!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200918&b=23
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 11:36
Any chance of getting the Beta 7 within the next days?

Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark
Snake200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 12:04 Edited at: 16th Dec 2012 12:07
I have a problem with the floor. When I'm using stock floor segment, everything is ok, but when I try to use my own, all the time, the player cannot move correctly. It seems like something blocking player, and he cannot move. I recorded a short movie (in attachment) that shows this issue.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Well before getting to deep into talking about this version I thought I better look at the source and see whats going on.

Well looking at the source I can see why a script fix is the better option so I apologize now to scene and flatlander, Its a strange bug because it seems to be linked to the editor as well because using wasp mod has the problem using the new editor with the lifts.

I can see why I'm getting 30 fps less because one of the speedup features still not being active in the source due to a typo error and unreming a high cpu usage feature and changing it a bit but its still very cpu intensive.

Most of the problems as I can see seem to be typo errors when scene was prob tired or rushing betas out.

I will in the next for day go thru the source because I think it needs a new set of eyes on it to pick up silly mistakes that are easy dones.

Well done scene and flatlander the source is looking a lot better now but I can see why there a few issues.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2012 09:07 Edited at: 17th Dec 2012 09:09
@S4real

A fresh pair of eyes never hurt Send me an email about your thoughts, as I'm the first to admit typo's do creep in.

SC
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 09:59
Keep up the good work guys! You make FPSC rock!
Bouncy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 22:53
I've had no issues with latest beta (or any for that matter), so keep up the work
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 03:26
Haven't been on in a while, so I don't know if this has been talked about or not, but I've noticed that in built games, numerics are too close together (attached a pic so your eyes can see it, too).

The only other thing is player wobble, which I read about up there^^.

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."

Attachments

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 04:39
I don't know if this was apparent in any of the other betas, but in beta 6 with the default jump height I cannot jump onto a large crate from model pack 3. Not that its a big deal, the jump height can be changed through scripting anyway.

"I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you." - Burger, 6/7/12
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 05:03
Quote: "but I've noticed that in built games, numerics are too close together"

Is that only in built games. It is OK while testing? I find that some of the custom huds have this problem even in testing.

I'm sure Scene Commander will respond to this. I don't know if it is possible to fix it through scripting or not.

THEORY - you know everything but nothing works. PRACTICE - when everything works but don't know why. For me, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and I don't know why.
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 06:12
It's only in built games unfortunately. It's fine in test games.

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Quote: " I've noticed that in built games, numerics are too close together"

This looks/sounds like an issue with differing screen resolutions between test and built games. I'll take a look and see what I can do.

SC
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 14:54
Hi Scene Commander,

I sent you three emails.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Flatlander

Received and replied.
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 00:06
I am having a small problem. Whenever I test a game the FPS drops to 9 until I move then it is fine. So far this is the only problem I have ran into.

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman Begins
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 02:16
Do your movements after that seem a little "jerky?"

mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 08:12
Yeah they do. It does that jerky movement after the player stops moving, but I don't think it has to do with the random frame rate drop at the beginning of every test.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@mastercheif 193

The jerky movement has been fixed for the next beta.

As for the FPS drop, I'll need your system specs and and FPM using stock media. I'll accept media from any of the official model packs as well. This way I can compare your issues against my own systems.

SC
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 08:39
@Scene Commander

Okay, very cool.

Here are my specs:
Intel Core i5 2310 CPU@2.90GHz
8 GB g.skill ripjaw RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti

I only used the stock media from the Scifi and WWII. It happened with both of them.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@mastercheif 193

Thanks for the specs, I've a machine of a similar spec so testing shouldn't be a problem.

However, I do need an FPM, because although I could build something, it obviously won't be exactly the same as yours and thus the tests won't be the same.

SC
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 08:51
Here it is. It is very basic just a sci fi room. Whenever I tested it it would lag until I move a few steps then it would go up to a constant 100+ FPS

Attachments

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 08:55 Edited at: 20th Dec 2012 09:03
Thanks, I'll take a look, but I suspect the slight lag at the start is physics settling into place.

*Edit*

Just seen the map, it was very simple, so not a lot of physics to settle

SC
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 08:59
It is a constant thing the FPS dramatically changes from 9 to 145 until I move the character. I didn't have this in the update before.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 09:01 Edited at: 20th Dec 2012 09:04
I've taken a quick look, by lag, I assume you just mean the time it takes to update the FPS report, which starts at 0 and then jump to 100+ in about a second? I'm not seeing any real lag or jerking, but I'm using the pre-release alpha version, so I could well be that the issue has been fixed as I've made a number of changes to address 'wobbling' issues and lag.

SC
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 09:07 Edited at: 20th Dec 2012 09:08
Yeah, except when I don't move and just look around it never settles on a certain FPS range it bounces between 9 to 150 constantly.

Yes that could possibly be it. I am using FPSC 1.20.6Beta.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@mastercheif 193

I'm seeing nothing like that, but I'm not saying that you aren't. It doesn't seem like a killer bug as the jumps aren't happening once you start moving, and I imagine that you'll see this greatly improved with the next beta, which I think you can expect to see very soon.

Let me know if you still have problems after that.

SC
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 09:16
Thank you Scene. Yeah it is just a minor annoyance but once I get moving everything is fine. Sounds good to me. I have been experiencing other than the occasional FPSC crash but that doesn't happened to often. Otherwise I have not been experiencing any other bugs.

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 09:52 Edited at: 20th Dec 2012 09:54
Isn't that the old bug with lag until the engine plays a sound?

I have it in all my games until I either move, jump or shoot. It could be unrelated to sounds but that's what other users have suggested.

I believe it only happens if you disable the background humming noise FPSC sets as standard for your game under Build Game.
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 10:06
@Scurvy

Yes it is. I took off the background hum because I have been working on an horror game silence is a big factor. Thanks Scurvy, hopefully this can be fixed in the next update or so.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
A fix for this is to load a a file with no sound for the time being .

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2012 03:18 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2012 03:19
Quote: "A fix for this is to load a a file with no sound for the time being ."

You beat me to it.

It's nice to have another person helping out here. I'm not going to be around much longer.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@F l a t l a n d e r :- Yeah thought it was about time I helped been busy a lot this year, shame to see you go m8 you done a lot for FPSC.

best s4real

Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2012 23:29
Not sure if this is related to the Alpha Beta 7 or to the official Beta 6 but, here are my issues with V120:

-The character moves way too slow underwater. Making progression on water at a snails pace. However, everything is normal when a segment is placed about a foot or so under water height.

-You could also still crouch while under water. This is odd.

-You also can't seem to run out of air while staying underwater for long periods (Unless I didn't stay there long enough).

-You can't seem to jump out of the water while you surfaced to the top.

Other issues I reported before but going to repeat them again. These are rather minor:

-The footstep sounds for the player is gone.

-The jump sounds for the player doesn't work. I've tried different sounds and checked the audio files but FPSC doesn't play the jump sound when jumping. Perhaps this was intentional ?

-Some entities has no textures I simply had to re-apply the texture in the properties as it was left blank for some reason. But is quite annoying when I find out during the test game that more than about 10 has this. I don't think this is with the V120 Betas as it could be another issue but I'm simply reloading my old maps from V118.17 and I remember them having the textures applied correctly.

Performance is not an issue on my end. Memory usage has far improved (Especially with the Alpha builds from S4real).

Intel Core i5 3570, Nvidia Gefocre GTX 560 OC 1024MB, 16GB RAM, P8H77-M Pro, Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2012 16:36 Edited at: 26th Dec 2012 16:41
Quote: "Not sure if this is related to the Alpha Beta 7"

Nothing should be posted on relating to alpha 7 on this thread, as apart from alpha 2 which was stable enough to pass to google code, none of it is official. Even then, nothing should be posted until an official beta 7 is posted on this thread. I of course will continue to work with S4real to develop his ideas, but there is no promise of what will make it into the final release.

Quote: "-You could also still crouch while under water. This is odd. "

Do you mean when swimming? Because if you mean standing, I personally can crouch underwater.

Quote: "-You can't seem to jump out of the water while you surfaced to the top."

Please supply an FPM demonstrating this.

Quote: "-The footstep sounds for the player is gone.

-The jump sounds for the player doesn't work"

I'll look at the sound issues.

Quote: "-Some entities has no textures I simply had to re-apply the texture in the properties as it was left blank for some reason"

This sounds like an issue with backward compatability, although I'm not aware of any issues with this update and V118 final, if I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

Enjoy the rest of your Christmas if that's your thing.

SC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2012 23:00
Quote: "Nothing should be posted on relating to alpha 7 on this thread, as apart from alpha 2 which was stable enough to pass to google code, none of it is official. Even then, nothing should be posted until an official beta 7 is posted on this thread. I of course will continue to work with S4real to develop his ideas, but there is no promise of what will make it into the final release."

I skipped the Beta 6. That's why I'm not sure if it's because of S4s Alpha builds or Beta 6. I posted this on both threads because it could be related to both builds.

Quote: "Do you mean when swimming?"

Yes. While swimming.

Quote: "Please supply an FPM demonstrating this."

No need. Place basic floor segments and load the water via trigger. Swim out of the segments and try to swim towards it. You can't jump out, instead, you have to look up and hold W until your high enough to "climb" back into the segment. This means you'll have to fidget around a bit to get back on land.

Quote: "This sounds like an issue with backward compatability, although I'm not aware of any issues with this update and V118 final, if I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected."

Seems so. I sometimes have to re-apply the texture manually so it's not that big of an issue and I only found a few objects that does this. No real problems as I could fix them via .FPE files as even that shows a bank field next to the texture.

Thanks for the reply ! Good Luck with the rest of the V120 build and don't stress yourself over it too much.

Intel Core i5 3570, Nvidia Gefocre GTX 560 OC 1024MB, 16GB RAM, P8H77-M Pro, Windows 7 Home Premium x64
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 04:38 Edited at: 27th Dec 2012 04:39
The bobble head effect is gone with the alpha build you posted way above. Sorry for the late reply.

I like hearing you are going for stability and fixes. I have another one for you. These do not happen often, but sometimes when I start FPSC it crashes right at the start. It gives the cause of building to big of level, when I just opened FPSC.

The secong is sometimes when you save a level before testing it crashes. It will save the level and where it has the saving level bar it disappears and freezes. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to fix it.

These two problems have been going on since v1, just seems to get overlooked.

The biggest problem I have is alpha textures. Before you could give a door, a fake segment, a tree or even a muzzleflash an alpha texture and have no problems. Now a fake segment you can see the skybox straight through the floor. A tree is no longer see through. I mean it is, but you get a distorted view. This seems to have happened when Bond1's shaders began changing FPSC. Now even with shaders off the problem remains. See pic attached.

Thanks for your hard work!

Attachments

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 09:51 Edited at: 27th Dec 2012 13:12
Quote: "I like hearing you are going for stability and fixes. I have another one for you. These do not happen often, but sometimes when I start FPSC it crashes right at the start. It gives the cause of building to big of level, when I just opened FPSC"

I'm glad you're glad.

I'm afraid that's a little vauge, especially as the level too large is the default error. Can anyone else shed some more light on this.

Quote: "The secong is sometimes when you save a level before testing it crashes. It will save the level and where it has the saving level bar it disappears and freezes"

This should have been fixed for all new levels and 99% of old levels with the next beta, that said, it's a hard one to track down as it happens for different users at different times, so all I can say is my alpha testers are reporting it fixed.

Quote: "The biggest problem I have is alpha textures."

I'll see if I can look into this, it does sound like it could well be a shader issue. *Edit* - what shaders are you using?

Thanks for the reports.

*Edit*

Fixed player jumping and footfall issues
Fixed plraction=4 (force crouch) to behave as expected.

SC
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "what shaders are you using?"

If you look at my pic I am having alpha problems with and without shaders. The shader used in the pic is bumpcubereflectalpha.fx. Also all shaders seem to need to be updated based on Bond1's work. By this I mean that most models and media still linked to old shaders that no longer work. The ps1 shaders to be exact.

Some shaders cause problems where there was none before. See this video where the ww2 model Wehrmacht has a problem with his jacket around his waist as it is black. Also spawning with Bond1's shaders seem to cause ghost or invisible characters. This has been a problem since the update of the shader system, for me atleast.

Thanks again!

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 15:19
@Scene Commander
apologies for my incorrect posting. Wasn't even sure if there was a problem.I take it there was? Thank You for the fix.
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Scene Commander.

In the fx shaders, the fixed value that FPSC uses for the fashlight in entites and weapons is SpotFlashRange

This value don't work with the player flashligh. Could you tell me which is the rightful? Thanks.

[href]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/widget/93088563][/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 17:50:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 17:50:36