Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V120 Public Beta 18 (RC)

Author
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 13:20 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 13:28
Now Lee has finished with his tweaks and fixes, I'll be making a final run through the V119+ features to ensure they are all stable. If anyone has an issue with anything from V119+, please let me know, following all the usual requirements for FPM's, scripts, etc..

@The Warrior Studio.

If you can supply an FPM so I can compare the two betas, I'll see if I can replicate the issue.

SC

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 16:23 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 16:24
I have two problems. One can probably be easily worked out, and one not so much. The lesser problem is that most dynamic lights that I have put on the level seem to disappear and darken the area when far away, but then reappear and illuminate the room as I step closer. I'm not sure if this is feature of 1.20 or not but I thought I'd list it up here.

I also seem to be having trouble building a game. Test games run fine, but in the build process FPSC crashes during the "loading sky" portion of the build. I attached an fpm for one of the levels that's involved in the build error. Hopefully I'm not the only one having this problem. Thanks SC!

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 17:00
@BedsideReaper tha how the dynamic lights work. you have to use static light to avoid this problem. its does that in all fpsc versions.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 17:56 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 17:57
@BedsideReaper: I downloaded your map file and built it just fine using the default buildsetup.ini file when you define a new build game. I am also using the default skybox for this. There was a log file of missing media when I opened the map, but those are from Model packs or custom media I guess.

Anyway the build game runs on my machine.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 19:58
@Pirate Myke

Are you using Beta 5?

@Lee

I seem to be getting the same issue that BedsideReaper is getting.

Quote: "Test games run fine, but in the build process FPSC crashes during the "loading sky" portion of the build.
"

This only happens with beta 5 but not with beta 4.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 20:22 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 20:23
I am using the release beta 5.

I had rebooted my machine before running the update installer.

I had also renamed the game and the map editer files before install.

Cleared all dbo and bin files.

That was yesterday. I just loaded his map file and build it.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 20:41 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 20:42
Quote: "I had also renamed the game and the map editer files before install."

Did this.

Quote: "Cleared all dbo and bin files."

Did this.

Quote: "I had rebooted my machine before running the update installer."

Didn't do this. However, I have never had problems before with updating using the installers of prior versions.

I was not using his map but my own map that I have been working with. This is a strange one. Might be a bugaboo. My favorite word right now.

J T Huges
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 20:44
Good work on the updates.
So far I haven't had any problems.
Trying different things and adding my own stuff and so far everything is going great.
Going to be installing beta5 and go from there.
thanks again.

Live Long -N- Rock'n Space Cowboys
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 20:46 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 20:47
I was not in the habit of doing it either. But some where I read that it was recommended to reboot if you had been testing or building maps to clear out the memory.

Since that is all I do all day is build and test maps, it has become part of the update process for me.

I have build another small test map and it built and ran fine.

So that is two different maps on my machine. Vista Op Sys

J T Huges
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 20:59
All the other betas before i have only delete the dbo and bin files, nothing more and I have not had any problem with building the game yet. But might not have all of the things you all are talking about.

Live Long -N- Rock'n Space Cowboys
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 21:18
I was having issues of things not working when upgrading, or things were not acting the same on two different machines. As I work with other people on this project it is important for us to all see the same thing.

Like I had mentioned, this is only a recent habit with the updates, and seems to make things the same for us if every one does it the same way.

Someone post another map file and I will test it. I am going to build one of our levels and see what happens.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 21:27
Pirate Myke, I'm glad it's working for you but it is not working for me. The stand-alone build using beta 5 crashes at "skybox." Without re-installing beta 4 and simply replacing the beta 5 fpsc-game.exe with that of beta 4 I re-tested and it works with beta 4 as I said. This is why I call it a bugaboo. It might be a troublesome to figure out let alone fix.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 21:32
Thats is not good I agree. But I have just completed a game build of another large level and it completed and runs. (1378gb when complete)

Like I said, I will test another map if someone wants to post one.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 21:50
@Lee,

I would say it has to do with custom models. BedsideReaper's and my levels don't seem to work with the particular custom models we are using. I wouldn't know why this is so.

I created a very simple map (ground and one character) it built fine. I then downloaded BedsideReaper's map and of course it loaded without his custom models (they are custom models but I didn't see any model packs - I own all the significant ones). I then did a build and without the custom models it worked fine. So impossible to figure. My time traveler game will not build with beta 5 but will build with beta 4. This is what is significant I guess.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 21:53 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 22:02
All my maps are custom everything. Walls props characters.

I did get a missing media message when running his map, But I figured that it was his custom media.

You can see what we build in the WIP section under Insomnia is Coming. It is all custom.

Still willing to test your map files.

Email me if you want. I have FTP server.

@ bedside reaper:
Attached is your missing media if you want to send it I will retest your map. You can email this stuff if you want.

Attachments

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 23:13
@Lee,

I did a test build of the metro theatre (both flooded and not flooded). Built OK.

I did a test build of "Space Derelict Lower Decks Sample Map Full.fpm" and it built fine. It just took forever waiting for threads.

@Pirate Myke,

I appreciate your wanting to help. I will send you my fpm and then let me know what the log says about missing models. Using email.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 00:10
results back at you Flatlander in email. Send the custom stuff and I will try it again.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 00:13 Edited at: 11th Nov 2012 00:35
Thanks Pirate for helping out. I'm compiling the list of entities that are missing. I kind of figured that it had to do with custom models. I tried building with about 4 or 5 other maps that I've made (also with custom entities), and they didn't work unfortunately. I think, for me and Flatlander at least, that FPSC is kind of refusing to make anything with custom content, i'm just confused as to why it always crashes on the skybox. Thanks again, man!

Edit: Email sent! I put each attachment separately so you can download them freely if you want.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 00:33
Well, I'm not sure it's even the media. However, if you want to send him your custom media it should definitely prove what I'm suspecting as of now. In other words, it should work for Myke.

I dissected my map level by taking just a little bit out at a time and then running a build. I got down to a completely blank map and it still crashed. :LOL:

So what I think is that the map file is corrupt. For some reason beta 4 ignores that but beta 5 doesn't like it. Only the master knows for sure what might be going on.

Lee?

I'm going to be going through the code (r717) and adding only a little at a time and testing it to see if I can't track it down. r716 works fine for me. I believe this is part of beta 4 but not sure.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 00:40
lol That happened to me once when I was still in the beginning stages of newb and I didn't realize that there was an FPSC cleaner. Unfortunately that little executable can't help me now.

I haven't tried building on any maps made in 1.20.05, but all the maps I did try (which ALL crashed) were made in previous versions: 1.20.04 and 1.19.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 02:55
OK, I pinpointed the offending code that makes some (if not all) previous maps to be invalid. I will be sending Lee an email regarding this. Hopefully, he will know right off what he can do to fix this.

The Warrior Studio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 07:12 Edited at: 11th Nov 2012 09:39
i found the problem it was with my graphic card is need an update i work fine now thank's for help

-----------------------------------------
"The Warrior Studios Model thread 2012"
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 10:39 Edited at: 16th Nov 2012 04:13
For reason, ever since I have upgraded to beta 5 when I test a map everything is black. I am unable to see anything or move. I am able to exit the test levels as normal. Just everything is black and its not the lighting.

I did run the cleaner.

Problem Solved. Not sure what caused it or even what fixed it.

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 10:41
@Teabone
You mean the editor goes black? That's normal, it's because nothing is rendered there anymore, so if anything goes over it, it goes black. The window just probably refreshes now to make it always black.

-TZK

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 10:44
No I mean the maps themselves during tests are now completely black and I'm unable to move. Not frozen however since I can see the FPS changing periodically.

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 11:18
Strange... I never use the beta installers myself, I use my own builds, so I guess that may be why I don't encounter as many issues as others.

-TZK

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 00:55
I'm not sure what exactly this issue is, but its an issue. You can view the details on this thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199002&b=21 But for a summary, in order for fpsc to work with windows, some people need to use a compatibility option for service pack 2 on windows 7. Again I'm not really sure what this means, but that's what is happening.

Your signature has been erased by a mod, please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 13:38 Edited at: 12th Nov 2012 13:40
@Teabone

Sounds daft, but, have you tried turning the ambient lighting up?

I started out in my level with beta 5 and everything was black, then i used the '>' key to turn up the ambient lighting (it was set to 0 by default) and viola, my level was visible again.

PS, i have encountered a problem myself. Whenever i apply shaders to my segments and test the level; when i spawn in, the actual segments are off to one side even though the starting spawn point remains in the same position. You can walk around the pre drawn segments as though they were still there (the walls and floor are invisible) however, you can see the walls and floor about 20 blocks over!

Very strange. This only happens when i try to apply Bond1's shader to a custom segment.

image attached to try to explain things better.

Unfamillia

Attachments

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
hey for me the plrmoveup and the plrmovedown comand is not working. Has anyone this problem too?

you need a script? I need useful requests at the moment!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200918&b=23
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 14:53 Edited at: 12th Nov 2012 15:54
@unfamillia
This for some reason happens alot. Try adding a static entity and test again. This seems to fix the problem in other posts.

Also as GreenDixy noted earlier post, there seems to be an unnatural bounce or bobbing effect while walking? Does anyone else notice this?
lotgd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 17:27
My custom characters dont work with 1.20 beta 5, work only with all previous versions, the problem is in animation, freezes, do not walk.
We tested them in two, and we had the same problem.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 18:49
sound like fpsc is screw up once again. is there no end to this madness. i think Lee should finish off 120 fixing any bugs everyone having then allowing sc to work on it.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "hey for me the plrmoveup and the plrmovedown comand is not working. Has anyone this problem too?"

Try using Ctrl or Shift + PgUp/PgDn this happens with my laptop.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 01:43 Edited at: 13th Nov 2012 01:46
Quote: "My custom characters dont work with 1.20 beta 5, work only with all previous versions, the problem is in animation, freezes, do not walk."

@Lee and @lotgd

I pinpointed what code has issues with this. Lee mentioned in his change log that he "Applied timer system to . . . entity mover system". This apparently does not work with your characters. I restored the original code from the r716 and the characters work fine now. This updated code effected the moveup, movefore, moveback, and runfore commands.

I have not actually tested if other characters are effected. BTW, I love those characters, the talking tree is great!

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 10:08 Edited at: 13th Nov 2012 10:14
Hi all,

I agree this test game issue needs investigating and if anyone wants to send me an FPM with the required media, I'll see if I can shed any light on the matter and pass my thoughts to Lee. Also, as this problem seems to only relate to custom media, it could prove to be troublesome to track down. However, with this exception, does anyone still have any outstanding game functionallity issues, i.e. Commands not working, etc. As I would dearly like to clear up any last bugs for V120 so we can move on.

SC

Tax 78
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 20:05
@Flatlander
thanks for restoring r716

Tax

Sorry but I use a translator
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Try using Ctrl or Shift + PgUp/PgDn this happens with my laptop."

this is not working for me. but should this commands not working without a key.
and i find another crazy performance lag. in Fpsc 1.204 a map with the building 16 of the official urban pack(modelpack 36), runs with 110 fps and in beta 5 now with 45-30 fps. in addition to this i have one single floor segement, so i think there is no need to create a fpm

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 21:47 Edited at: 14th Nov 2012 04:19
Quote: "thanks for restoring r716"

I'm not sure I understand your thought here. I need to make clear in what I had done was to track what code was causing the problem; which I had. However, I didn't restore any of the official releases. Since you are using a translator, I'm not sure that this was translated so you can understand.

Tax 78, I do love your model animations. Especially the talking tree.

You might have to actually send Lee one of your characters so he can test it. I can do that for you if you would like.

Addendum:

I don't think we will have to send any characters to Lee. I found characters that have the same issues in the model packs. So I sent Lee a map with stock media (mp#42 and mp#19). He should be able to figure out what to do from here. The characters with flak weapons (guns) seem to work fine especially with the stock scripts for them.

I also sent a map that also illustrates the problem with crashing on a build at "skybox". The map has to have musicoverride in the scripts that have to do with the level.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " so i think there is no need to create a fpm"

The reason we ask for an FPM, no matter how simple the user thinks it is, is to ensure we are replicating the situation exactly. I can think of several occasions where I've not been able to reproduce a bug because my model placement was different from the reporting users.

So, if you could supply one, that would be very helpful.

Is anyone else noticing lag, between beta 4 and 5?

SC

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is anyone else noticing lag, between beta 4 and 5?"

maybe, but my laggs are away. i install the beta5 again and now it works without laggs. So i test again and find out that the alpha was it what the laggs create. but this is a problem on every map i create with the alpha! So forget it

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 17:12
@BedsideReaper

Quote: "I also seem to be having trouble building a game. Test games run fine, but in the build process FPSC crashes during the "loading sky" portion of the build. I attached an fpm for one of the levels that's involved in the build error. Hopefully I'm not the only one having this problem. Thanks SC!
"

I have the same problem. It does not happen with Lee nor Dave. However, they had been working with me on possibly solving this issue. I wonder how many others have the problem. It seems to have something to do with sounds. Especially using musicoverrides. It is really curious as to why I have the issue but they don't. Especially since I have never had any problems that others have with my PC. It is understandable when there are some incompatibilities. However, when there is a crash building a game. This is a show stopper regardless of how few have this problem.

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 07:00 Edited at: 16th Nov 2012 07:21
@SC
Would a temporary fix to the problem unfamillia was experiencing be to load an empty static model in during the level build? It might not be as good as a proper fix, but it should do for now.

-TZK

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 07:17 Edited at: 20th Nov 2012 22:24
Never Mind

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 07:20
@Flatlander
I meant the issue where the static universe moves to another position unless you have a static entity in the map.

-TZK

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 07:29 Edited at: 16th Nov 2012 07:30
I really didn't think it was in response to the issue I was talking about; but, without saying who you were referring to and because the post was just below mine I couldn't help but think . . .

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 07:31
@Flatlander
Yeah, I added it to the post. Sometimes I just don't think before I post :p

-TZK

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 16:18
So whats the verdict on Beta 5 is it broken or what?

It sounds like FPSCR really does need a re write if it gets off the ground. Every time I look at the beta comments one new feature seems to break something else which is crazy.

Not saying the devs aren't doing a good job. The code must be really badly organised and its taking twice as long as it should to make anything stable.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 17:13
@Nomad Soul,

If you are a programmer, you should know that complex apps are hard to debug to begin with. There is almost 64,000 lines of code with a complex engine. This is just not something like DBP or even C# where you develop a game from scratch using these languages. This is a language itself using DBPro to create a game using easy methods where a lot of the game making is behind the scenes so to say. It uses DBPro because it has commands that work with DirectX. There is nothing wrong with DBPro as a game making application. It has won kudos from many programming experts here in the states.

Then, you have issues with different computers. For some reason this can cause issues from one computer to the next. But not that many issues.

I hate to be pessimistic but it looks like FPSCR will not come to fruition anyway. I am not sure that they will every do a ground up or re-write using something other than DBP as the base language. Of course, I'm not inside Lee's mind but if it were me, I would forget about FPSC moving any further than v1.20 (apparently there is not enough interest in it) and concentrate on DBPro, the mobile game kit and the web engine. I am quite happy with v1.20. Especially for the whole purpose of it existing. For those young people and us oldsters who are just starting out in game development. For those who are young, they can develop fairly descent games right away until they learn to create a game in another language. Many have done that as there are many who have moved on from FPSC and we no longer see them. Then for us oldsters, we don't have the time to learn how to create a game from scratch using another language. Some of us aren't even familiar with programming. There are those who possibly would like to create a game for educational purposes. These could be teachers who could use the ease of FPSC. Sure, it would be nice to have FPSCR which includes ease of use, more quality and etc. I feel if you want to get into the AAA Indies level then you need to use another language. There are only 300 supporters for FPSCR. If there were 2000 supporters @ 25 sterling and 200 to 300 others at a larger amount, that would mean an awful lot to TGC. It's the small amount of those who are wanting to see this happen that is disappointing. If there are only that many, how can there be a guarantee that there would be that many supporters for a complete re-write?

This just my humble opinion.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 22:29
@BedsideReaper

Regarding,

Quote: ". . . but in the build process FPSC crashes during the "loading sky" portion of the build. . . ."

I mentioned a few posts above,

Quote: "I have the same problem . . ."

I'm happy to say that in r722, this has be resolved. At least it's working for me. I hope that it will also work for you and others who might have experienced this problem.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am having a problems with building any level now with the new update. Attached is the fpm I used to make a tutorial. It crashes while lightmapping. If I turn off lightmapping, it says I am making a level that is to big. How is a 3x3 room to big?

Also with the new update the player cam bounces up an down everytime I move like a bobblehead. How do I turn this off?

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 07:14:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 07:14:50