Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V120 Public Beta 18 (RC)

Author
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 21:41 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2013 22:03
Quote: "Fixed and added PNG support."

Quote: "R755: Additional fixes for built game skyboxes, added png support as requested."

NOTE- I added your "fix" to my source since we have a variety of skybox formats to work with.

You are on the right track, but there is still an issue. First off, there are skybox's with a multitude of formats, both paid and free. Cosmic has skybox's that are "jpg"; Rolfy has skybox's in "png" and "bmp" (example of the "bmp" is SUN, SWE, SPI, SPA- not sure which pack it is from exactly).

When I specify a "png" skybox, I am seeing the "dbo" plus the 6 required "png" files in the build; sky is proper when testing build. The same for "dds" or "tga". When I specify a skybox using "bmp" (example Rolfy's SUN), the build changes to "png" and I see the "dbo" and the 6 "png" files in the build; when testing the build the sky is black. I also notice not only does the build contain the "png" files, but in my "skybank\rolfy\SUN" folder (not the build but my FPS Creator directory we work in), there are "png" and the original "bmp" files. I won't even ask or address the "jpg" as you in the higher versions no longer support "jpg".

Is there no way just to have the skybox you specify just copy to the build as is? If I use a "jpg" or "bmp" in my version, it shows in the test perfectly. Why is it the engine wants it to be in either "dds" or "tga" and it got by so many people this long is beyond me. If I can code water in my source and it adds the "required" files to the build (only when water is used otherwise the water files are not copied to the build), then the same should be said for skybox's. Scripts used in game get copied, segments, textures get copied. One should not have to manually copy a skybox if the other media is there. If my build (and the sky section of my source is exactly the same as your current source) uses a "jpg" and only the "dbo" is there, and I have to manually copy the "jpg" files to get the skybox to show why can't the engine just copy what is used regardless of the extension?

So what is the final solution so we don't drag this on? Is it better as a developer to go through my collection of skybox's and convert the files to either "png", "dds", or "tga" to ensure they get there? And before this gets heated in any way, I do appreciate the fact you took time to address the issue. But where I stand it is only half addressed considering the variety of skybox's available.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Scene Commander :- I've added a fix to the source where you don't need to convert the file to dds at all.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 22:18
Quote: " I've added a fix to the source where you don't need to convert the file to dds at all."

@ s4real,

R755 does not convert to "dds". If we specify "dds", it uses "dds" in the build. If we specify "tga", "it uses "tga" in the build. If we specify "png", it uses "png" in the build.

What the "fix" should be is not to convert to a format that developers do not want, but to copy the skybox and 6 files as is.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Blackfox - I obviously don't have access to all of the skyboxes, so I could well be missing something

@S4real - Your help is always welcome, send me the source and I'm sure between us all, we'll sort this out.

SC
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 22:27 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2013 22:28
Quote: "I obviously don't have access to all of the skyboxes, so I could well be missing something"

I understand that Scene Commander, and believe me I do appreciate your looking to sort this out. I am reporting what is happening on my end considering we have "bmp", "png", "jpg", and "tga" extension skybox's. The "png", "dds", "and tga" worked out just fine. The "bmp" did not- your code converted the "bmp" to "png" and the build held the "dbo" and 6 "png". Using the SUN skybox the X file specifies "bmp" in it, so that could be why it is black when testing the build. When I copied the "bmp" files over to the build, the sky was present.

I am just wondering instead of a fix to "convert" anything, why not just adjust the code so that no matter what "extension" is specified, it is copied to the build. That way, it covers all formats.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What the "fix" should be is not to convert to a format that developers do not want, but to copy the skybox and 6 files as is."

This is what my fix does.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
unimansoftent
Years of Service
User Offline
@F l a t l a n d e r - Hi, well this is my waypoint test, here is the video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nw1PAn2CxcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a extra for my WWII game after the model pack 68.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1VKnBZ0FGsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Grettings!

independent game developer
unimansoftent
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry i dont know put videos in this forum, there is once again:

Waypoint Test

Demo level of another game made by me.

Grettings!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 23:17 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2013 23:19
RE: Aiko not passing beyond ladder.

You need to put a wall segment next to the ladder/stairs. When using waypoints and NOT DarkAi this is a requirement. It has to do with the physics. It might be using a raycast to determine the height of the character and moving the character up to that height. Using a raycast requires a wall of some sort close enough for it to work I suppose. I'm not 100% sure.

As far as MP68, apparently there are some characters that are using DarkAi. If a character is using Dark AI -- there will be Dark AI commands in both main and appear -- they will not follow the standard waypoints of the follow.fpi.

The character that is not working from MP68, make sure that his "start" AI is "appear1.fpi" and the "main" is "follow.fpi" then try that. It should work.

THEORY - you know everything but nothing works. PRACTICE - when everything works but don't know why. For me, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and I don't know why.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 23:38 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2013 23:47
The reason the converted skybox images are not showing in build is because the .x/.dbo files reference the original extensions, If converted the skybox 'box' is looking for sun_x.bmp and the image has been converted to sun_x.png.
If s4 has sorted it to simply copy over the original folder formats thats fine, if any further problems I would be happy to convert all files to dds and stick with that format in future.

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 23:41
If it can get fixed that would be great. But, silly me, I always copy them over manually anyway. This actually has been an issue for some time.

THEORY - you know everything but nothing works. PRACTICE - when everything works but don't know why. For me, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and I don't know why.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 23:53 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2013 23:55
Quote: "The reason the converted skybox images are not showing in build is because the .x/.dbo files reference the original extensions, If converted the skybox 'box' is looking for sun_x.bmp and the image has been converted to sun_x.png."

Which is what I said here:

Quote: "The "bmp" did not- your code converted the "bmp" to "png" and the build held the "dbo" and 6 "png". Using the SUN skybox the X file specifies "bmp" in it, so that could be why it is black when testing the build. When I copied the "bmp" files over to the build, the sky was present."

Quote: " if any further problems I would be happy to convert all files to dds and stick with that format in future."

In theory, there should be no need to convert anything. I like the "png" extension because it helps to keep the total build size down. I realize it is just skybox's, but I do not see the need to have to be forced to use "dds". Besides, we have Dale's packs that use "jpg". Bad enough already I have to make sure my source continues to support "jpg" when adding the latest fixes and such.

Quote: " I always copy them over manually anyway. This actually has been an issue for some time."

We copied them too, and the problem existed way back- after v1.09. How or why it has gone this long is a mystery to me, but at least it is getting addressed, which is appreciated despite the fact I am spitting bullets over it.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@BlackFox :- You need more coffee lol, yeah I sent the fix to scene commander for him to look at.

Quote: "You need to put a wall segment next to the ladder/stairs. When using waypoints and NOT DarkAi this is a requirement. It has to do with the physics. It might be using a raycast to determine the height of the character and moving the character up to that height. Using a raycast requires a wall of some sort close enough for it to work I suppose. I'm not 100% sure."

Yes it is to do with the physic and collision why you need a segment.

best s4real

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Re:Skyboxes.

I've tweaked S4's fixes and applied them. Now all skybox formats are supported, priortising PNG's, but allowing all others. I hope this is satifactory for all users.

@unimansoftent

I can't test pack 68 as I don't own it, but please follow the advice others have provided here as I'm sure that will fix it. Please remember that level design is often a key to solving these kind of problems.

Thanks,

SC
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 17:06 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2013 17:08
Quote: "I've tweaked S4's fixes and applied them. Now all skybox formats are supported, priortising PNG's, but allowing all others. I hope this is satifactory for all users."

You will probably no longer talk to us after this report... Your "fix" does indeed copy the skybox's, but does not fix the issue completely. PNG, BMP, DDS, TGA copy just fine, both the 6 texture extensions and the DBO. Not the JPG- the 6 files do not copy but the DBO does.

I had noticed this from R755:

In R756, you have the following:

I compiled your fix into my source and the BMP, PNG, DDS, TGA all copied as they should- the DBO and 6 files were in the build. The JPG only copied the DBO. So I changed line 22624 to say "tfor=5" and still the same result after recompiling. All work except the JPG.

At least the PNG and BMP copy along with TGA and DDS. I can convert my JPG and edit the X files for the change. It is too bad this did not work out for us in our source. I do have another idea that will probably solve our issue, but will not work for your version since you no longer support JPG at all.

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 17:29
@ Flatlander I was working with model pack 68 and testing on way points. I was getting the same thing as unimansoftent when I tested my map. I had one much the same as he did. Then after reading your post. I added the wall segments. Then I put the appear1.fpi in and used the follow.fpi. When testing the character followed the way point perfectly. So your not just another pretty face you know your stuff. LOL

Thanks

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
AGK Community Tester
unimansoftent
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, I just downloaded the new patch 1.20.11 and waypoints seem to work very well, here is a video of the test, thank you very much everyone for your responses greetings.

Here is the video;

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 22:18
Quote: "Demo level of another game made by me."

I know that THQ is in bankruptcy, but still I would be careful when using the CoH soundsamples...

Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark
Snake200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 22:36
Is there some chance to fix issue with machine guns? I recorded a new video, that shows better this bug. I have this one since v1.19

Attachments

Login to view attachments
unimansoftent
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I know that THQ is in bankruptcy, but still I would be careful when using the CoH soundsamples... "

What I would do in this case would give credit to the game where I extracted the audio samples, after all, if it were to end it would be free.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, with the help of Flatlander and GamerX, I have fixed the problems with my slender model. The fault was with me and the scaling of the rig. Sometimes when I get in a hurry, I just add bones and animated right there. Then when it comes time to export I have to scale the bones by 12 to be right for fpsc, when they have to be a scale of 1. There are other problems with it now but the ragdoll works now.

Thanks.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is there some chance to fix issue with machine guns? I recorded a new video, that shows better this bug. I have this one since v1.19"

I've sadly tested this very thoughly and I simply can't replicate it. I fired of over 1000 rounds and couldn't once make it happen.

Quote: "I have fixed the problems with my slender model."

Glad to hear it's fixed.

SC
Snake200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2013 10:47
I was testing it once again but this time on other pc (at my friend) and everything works fine there. It was tested on Windows 7 and Radeon HD 3400 graphics card. That issue occur on my PC which still use Windows XP SP3 and GeForce 7600 GT. But apart from that, everything works very well and fast
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@snake200

Is did sound like a GFX card issue.

@Everyone

Beta 12 has been released, it's a very small change from Beta 11 to address a reported issue with Windows 8. We're are very hopefull that this build will address all reported bugs.

Thanks,

SC
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Windows XP SP3 "

Maybe its time to update from windows XP lol as its not going to have support very soon now windows 8 is out.

best s4real

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2013 21:15
Information I have gotten from Microsoft. When you upgrade from Windows XP it would probably be best to go with Windows 8. However, if you already have Windows 7 you can wait a little longer unless you want to be a part of those on the leading edge.

* Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014
* End of Mainstream support for Windows 7 is January 12, 2015
* End of extend support for Windows 7 is January 14, 2020 - Extended support is only available for commercial customers.

Jcatalfamo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2013 21:37
BETA 12 broke map editor for me in windows 8

Whenever I launch fpscreator now I get the following error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FPSC-MapEditor.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4d460aea
Fault Module Name: StackHash_5861
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: PCH_EA_FROM_ntdll+0x00041318
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: f3d5
Additional Information 4: f3d5be0cad2787556264647dc02181c3
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2013 22:02
Quote: "Maybe its time to update from windows XP lol as its not going to have support very soon now windows 8 is out."

They said the same in the DOS era, and yet there are some of us still using DOS.

Quote: "Beta 12 has been released, it's a very small change from Beta 11 to address a reported issue with Windows 8. We're are very hopefull that this build will address all reported bugs."

Except the skybox in JPG format not copying to a build (which I do not expect to see fixed; I will find out why since we still support JPG in our source). The other formats do copy to the build properly, so our compliments for that.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "BETA 12 broke map editor for me in windows 8

Whenever I launch fpscreator now I get the following error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FPSC-MapEditor.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4d460aea
Fault Module Name: StackHash_5861
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: PCH_EA_FROM_ntdll+0x00041318
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: f3d5
Additional Information 4: f3d5be0cad2787556264647dc02181c3"

Did you get an error message when you tried to install because I'm getting an error message where it says to ignore in windows 8 but haven't gone any further.

best s4real

Jcatalfamo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2013 23:00
No issues installing. I even just tried a clean install over v1 and everyhting during install went fine, but same error when trying to startup FPSC. I get as far as the spalsh screen with "checking files for you" the the error above.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Replace it with this one for the time being until the problem can be fixed.

best s4real

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 03:32
Quote: "BETA 12 broke map editor for me in windows 8 "

BETA 12 did the same for me on windows 7. It gave an error message when installing. I can't remember it exactly, but maybe it was something like the map editor can't be written. I have tried s4real's map editor but when I open FPSC it gives me the standard "FPSC has encountered an error and needs to close".

I have reverted to beta 11 for the time being with no issues.

"I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you." - Burger, 6/7/12
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Burger :- The problem is to do with windows 8 can't copy the file just run the exe as administrater and it should install fine and have no problems.

I'm using the latest in windows 8 without any problems.

best s4real

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 04:31
I'm using Windows 7 and no problems.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 04:50
Oh - well it was just me. I copied the file before installing the beta and it worked fine.

"I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you." - Burger, 6/7/12
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 06:23
I use windows 8, and had no problems.

mk83 Productions
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 11:58 Edited at: 25th Jan 2013 14:28
I know this update is for performance and bugfixes only and this will most likely be rejected, but could you add a command that disables mouselook while retaining the ability to use $MMX and $MMY? This will allow me to make my mouse cursor script work flawlessly.

-TZK

Jcatalfamo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 14:39 Edited at: 25th Jan 2013 14:43
I replaced the Map editor file with the BETA 11 version as s4real suggested and that is working for now.

EDIT: Actually its not working, I can launch the editor but trying to test the game crashes...(probably issue with using files from different versions) Its back to BETA 11 version for me.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jcatalfamo :- Try running the install as admin rights and see what happens.

If you installing and unstalling in the same directory file could be corrupt plus the reg can be getting messed up as well.

I would unstall Fpsc use a reg cleaner then install v1 then v1.20.

hope you get it sorted

best s4real

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 15:07
this version (B12) is great. If nothing unforeseen happens, this will be the exe for the Desura and Steam versions of into the dark. Many improvements are now possible due to more memory at hands!

Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark
Stalker93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 15:47 Edited at: 25th Jan 2013 16:01
@s4real
Same issue of Jcatalfamo here..looks the same I'm getting with the FPSC Community Mod I've told you about..beta 10 works fine..I've seen a Windows 8 realted fix inside the source code "news" on Google-code (r757)..could have that caused the problem just for some people?
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Stalker93 :- No the fix is for the skybank transfers with a built game and has nothing to do with your problem.

The crash is due to the map editor not finding the FPSC.exe and this could be due to the new admin rights in windows 8.

Have you right clicked on the map editor and the fpsc.exe and set them to run as administrator ?

best s4real

Jcatalfamo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 16:48
No luck,
I completely uninstalled, cleared all references to dark basic, fpsc, fps creator and the gamecreators from the registry.

Installed V1 as administrator, no errors during install
Installed Beta12 as administrator, no errors during install

Same crash, set both fpsCreator.exe and fpsc-mapeditor.exe to run as admin,... same crash

tried different compatibility modes on both the files above... same crash

Beta10 works fine.
Stalker93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 17:07
@s4real
Yes, I've tried all those tricks a plenty of times..no way I could avoid the crash: I'm back to beta 10 and everything is fine
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Stalker93 :- So you had issues with the FPSC from beta 11 ?

Stalker93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 14:30
@s4real
Just tried it right now. Same problem as beta 12!! Still on beta 10, it's the last version working for me
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Stalker93

Apart from the crash, I'm not quite sure what your error is. Does it crash on trying to build a test game or on start up?

Are you using a default map or a custom one?

If custom, does your map contain any custom media?

In almost all case like yours the problem lies in the install. Sometime a complete reinstall (remembering to back up any data) will resolve the issue. I suspect this more in your case as many users aren't experiencing any problems.

Thanks,

SC
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am having a problem with running more than one video texture in the same level. I thought that my old computer was the problem so I put it on my newer computer with windows 8 i5 and still the same thing. It seems to pick what videotexture it wants at random and forces the other models to use that texture. The only script that I am using is the appear1videotexture but I have only edited it to use other videos. I have made three scripts and tested them each by themselves and this is the first time I have put them all together in the same room.

Is this a bug or an error on my part? Also how do you change the video while in game on the same model like Blackfox did in his video??

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 20:43
Quote: "Also how do you change the video while in game on the same model like Blackfox did in his video??"

Yea, Blackfox, fess up. I was wondering the same thing myself. Also I still can't figure out how to use a TV where the video is just on the screen and not a part of the whole TV. Sorry, this not necessarily the right thread but just took the opportunity.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 20:55 Edited at: 26th Jan 2013 21:00
Quote: "Is this a bug or an error on my part? Also how do you change the video while in game on the same model like Blackfox did in his video??"

Quote: "Yea, Blackfox, fess up."

No problem. It was one script that ran everything. The script was attached to a flat screen entity we made to fit into the TV (explanation below), not the TV itself.

Quote: "Also I still can't figure out how to use a TV where the video is just on the screen and not a part of the whole TV. "

The problem is, Flatlander, that attaching the script to the actual TV actually had the video playing on the entire TV (both front and back), at least for us. So what I did was make small thin planes (flat screen entity) of various designs/shapes for things like TV's, viewscreens (example- Dale's STTOS pack), computer monitors, etc. When we want to have a video showing on the entity screen, we place the corresponding flat screen entity so it is almost right inside the TV screen, make it dynamic (of course), and attached the above script. The entity also has an "invisible" texture so it is not visible in game. It works perfectly, and it is in v1.17 to boot.

We even have the Enterprise bridge view screen from Dale's STTOS pack showing the ship "warping", dropping out of warp to engage an enemy ship, and orbiting a planet. The technique has so many possibilities.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-23 04:11:15
Your offset time is: 2024-06-23 04:11:15