Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Win an UltraBook!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 05:44
no australian's huh? oh well

yo
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 10:49
Looking at the required specs for Ultrabooks, it seems that touch-screen and accelerometers are not a requirement, but multi-touch pads may be. Is this correct? If so, some conditional programming will be needed to only use what's there. Comments?

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
touch pad movement & clicking is supported by AppGameKit as it's just a mouse emulator!

however one of the ideas of an ultabook device is that it has the extra sensors that a standard notebook does not have
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 13:36
Quote: "no australian's huh? oh well"

From the FAQ:
Quote: "Yes, it sucks we can't open it to everyone because of various laws in different countries, but we had to make a call on whether it's better to offer it to a lot, but not all, of you, or none at all."

Quote: "touch pad movement & clicking is supported by AppGameKit as it's just a mouse emulator!"

Well, yes and no. You can do most things using the mouse commands, with a little imagination. But you can't do multitouch which Jim Hawkins refers to. As of the latest beta, gestures are not registering, but I'm sure they will be in the next release or two.

Quote: "however one of the ideas of an ultabook device is that it has the extra sensors that a standard notebook does not have"

I agree, this is what will set apart the winners.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 13:50
Most of the models I've looked at do not have accelerometers or touch-screens. New models may.

The actual requirement to be an Ultrabook is:
< 21 mm thickness;
>=5 hours battery life.

So actually requiring those in your app would be a mistake.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 14:09
The competition is not for the current Ultrabooks; it is for the new range, as yet unreleased to the public. I believe the launch is in November. That's why they are throwing reference model Ultrabooks at the round 1 winners.

Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 17:51 Edited at: 21st Oct 2012 17:52
I still have the problem that my new ULTRABOOK reminds me everytime to enter a valid product key for WIN 8. I did pushed the "skip" button on first start, but the product key they entered at INTEL looks like a widley shared product key.... How do I get a valid unique WIN 8 Pro product key for the ULTRABOOK now? Anybody any idea? What will be happen, if I don't enter a correct product key? Will my WIN 8 be locked within the next days???

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Space Dream Studios you need to install the latest windows 8 RTM from Microsoft. Its only for 90 days which will cover the competition. In the end youll need to buy Windows 8 yourself or (what Im doing) get rid of Windows 8 and use Windows 7.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Batvink I have access to an HP ultrabook at work, it has touchscreen and some sensors for sure cos I tried out an html demo and got some numbers moving around as I rotated the ultrabook!
Lavaflyer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 22:10 Edited at: 21st Oct 2012 22:14
@apocolyp4, your kidding you only get windows 8 for 90 days? bummer i was looking forward to it for my new ultrabook.

Can you even buy windows8 yet though? and if so how much/you getting pro edition? just curious. And finally, so the ultrabook comes with windows7 then?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 22:16
Quote: "I still have the problem that my new ULTRABOOK reminds me everytime to enter a valid product key for WIN 8. I did pushed the "skip" button on first start, but the product key they entered at INTEL looks like a widley shared product key.... How do I get a valid unique WIN 8 Pro product key for the ULTRABOOK now? Anybody any idea? What will be happen, if I don't enter a correct product key? Will my WIN 8 be locked within the next days???"

I managed to reactivate what seems to be a previously used product key.

I was instructed(can't remember where, try looking through settings) to call a free phone number where it took a really long key from my ultrabook then returned another really long key which I typed in, it seems now I am set, hopefully forever.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 22:31
Quote: "Can you even buy windows8 yet though? and if so how much/you getting pro edition? just curious. And finally, so the ultrabook comes with windows7 then?"

Im guessing that once the 90 days are over, windows will say something like, the evaluation process is over, and the only thing you can do is input a key. Or install another OS. Provided that MS havn't bribed the Bios manufacturer into only allowing windows on the computer
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 22:35 Edited at: 21st Oct 2012 22:37
Anyone that could help with the steps of registering the ultrabook and getting the premiere membership?

My first step whas this.

http://www.intel.com/software/products/registrationcenter

Registered my ultrabook and got loads of files to choose from ?

Wich ones should i download and wich ones do i nead?

And wath other processes do i nead to register?

Wath link do i use to get the windows version i nead or key?

I already have setup an appup account and organisation and got my certificate today.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
@Matty H: THANKS!!! That worked out! Did the same via phone and it looks like that my WIN8 is good now....

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 21:46 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2012 22:26
Quote: "I managed to reactivate what seems to be a previously used product key.

I was instructed(can't remember where, try looking through settings) to call a free phone number where it took a really long key from my ultrabook then returned another really long key which I typed in, it seems now I am set, hopefully forever."
Quote: "@Matty H: THANKS!!! That worked out! Did the same via phone and it looks like that my WIN8 is good now.... "

First time i started it so did it seam to download an update?
Because when i restart and install updates so havent i got the window that asks for a activation key anymore?

Edited.....
Sorry guys you where right as it seamed to be dorment in the background and not activated.

Simply click contact customer support and call the number and you will get a new code by phone

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 07:37
Woo hoo, got my entry in on time:

Island Hopper

Just got confirmation that an ultrabook is on its way!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 10:52
Congrats Ched80, I thought I'd get in on the action too. Got my confirmation email this morning that I'm through too!

Here's a link to the game I'm doing:
Flick Pong

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 10:55 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2012 10:58
Well done Ched! Wow Island Hopper looks ambitious. Great use of the geo-locate.

Similar situation here; entered my article yesterday afternoon and got my confirmation of an ultrabook this morning! Yay .

Tennis Tracker.

EDIT:
Cool looking entry baxslash! Really like the look you've given the app too.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 11:32
Thanks Lucas, and congrats to you too. Most of the art is Josh Mooney's work in my game. It won me a Playbook too but I never finished it.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 14:30
How long did it take before they sent you the "details" email. I got accepted last friday, but I havent got any other emails about it. I do get a ton of newsletters though
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Baxslash I know that this is not in your hands, but any idea when we will get agk 108 with the sensors working? its kind of frightening at my end to commit without knowing when the new version will be available
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 16:04
I don't know for sure but I know Lee is working hard on getting V108 out ASAP. I wouldn't worry. It's coming together.

If it helps ease your mind I'm not the only TGC team member putting an App into this competition

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 18:36 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2012 18:37
Quote: "How long did it take before they sent you the "details" email."

The first email contains the link to the page to register your name, address etc.

Quote: "Congratulations! You have made it through the first round of the AppInnovation contest. Please take a moment to complete the Ultrabook Shipping Registration page and complete the form."

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 19:22
Quote: "The first email contains the link to the page to register your name, address etc."
Yes, I filled that in, but apart from the newsletters, I havn't heard from them since...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 19:32
For all you late entrys
Keep in mind that the fine print states a 3 year delivery plan on the ultrabooks.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 19:39
Actually, there is one more thing regarding this I need help with, I have searched the intel website for the "apply for code signing certificate" link but I havn't found it. Do I have to set up an organisation, since technicaly I don't have one?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 20:08 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2012 20:09
Quote: " Actually, there is one more thing regarding this I need help with, I have searched the intel website for the "apply for code signing certificate" link but I havn't found it. Do I have to set up an organisation, since technicaly I don't have one? "

The code signing certificate process through Comodo has been a total pain, I actually quit even trying after spending days communicating with their representative and getting nowhere.

They expect you to register your phone number publicly with some random white page or business directories (the ones they sent me weren't even based in America and I had never heard of them) so they can call it back. This isn't a good option for those who have a private number and wish to keep it that way. I signed up as a licensed business I have which was apparently an even bigger mistake as they expect even more proof. Supposedly Intel will be stepping in and coming up with a better solution for the AppUp competition, per some comments there.

Here are the basic steps:

Sign-up at: http://software.intel.com/en-us

Go to your Dashboard page.

Click the Intel AppUp tab.

You'll see the "Apply for code signing certificate" link on the right.

If you're signed in, http://software.intel.com/en-us/appup/signing-authority-disclaimer may get you there too.
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 20:23 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2012 20:24
Hey guys, I've just posted an article for my entry. Better late than never! I'm not using TGC software for the project at the moment due to the stability of AppGameKit and the lack of 3D commands so if a mod has to remove this then that's okay, but anyway I thought I'd post just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/482519/Space-Racer-Working-Title

I'd like to move the project to AppGameKit to expand the platforms but that depends on how stable AppGameKit will be in a few months time.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 20:48
Quote: "They expect you to register your phone number publicly with some random white page or business directories (the ones they sent me weren't even based in America and I had never heard of them) so they can call it back."

I refused to do this this time around and they agreed that a phone bill would do. In fact, I only have a PAYG mobile but they accepted even just a screenshot of the billing page that included my name, address and phone number. So if they ask for this, just say you want to give them a phone bill instead. And like xCept says, don't sign up as a business.

Quote: "Keep in mind that the fine print states a 3 year delivery plan on the ultrabooks."

You mean the thing saying that they are actually loaning it to you for 3 years rather than giving it to you, right? They've kind of suggested they're not going to ask for it back though.

Quote: "I don't know for sure but I know Lee is working hard on getting V108 out ASAP. I wouldn't worry. It's coming together."

Great to know . I'm getting a gribbly crash at the moment so I'll sure need this!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 23:56
Quote: "You mean the thing saying that they are actually loaning it to you for 3 years rather than giving it to you, right? They've kind of suggested they're not going to ask for it back though."

No the fine print states that its an 3 year delivery as the system is not manufactured at large numbers as its an dev unit.

almost at the bottom of the competition page.

What Ultrabook will winners of Round 1 receive?

The Ultrabooks that are made available as part of this contest are the same units reviewed in our Ultrabook section. It's a preview 3rd generation "Ivy Bridge" based Ultrabook referred to as a Software Development Platform. That is, this is a unit that you'll never see on store shelves – it's a "no-one-else-in-your-street-will-have-one" Ultrabook. However, since it's not a commercial product these units will be sent to winners on a 3 year term.

I have my comodo certificate and made many mistakes before i got it right.

Some guidlines are.

Register the organisation with your real name and adress.
Send digital copys of phone bill or other bills sent to your home with the same adress.
Try to send at least 2-3 bill copys.
Also send a digital copy of id or drivers license.

They will call the number you have stated on the intel page where you will nead to state your email adress registered on intel appup page.

Took me a week but now i have it

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 06:43
Just published my round 1 article. Cutting the deadline a bit close, but here's hoping, right?

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 10:02
Quote: "No the fine print states that its an 3 year delivery as the system is not manufactured at large numbers as its an dev unit."

Yes, this is true, and it's something to worry about if you weren't actually planning on building the app as they could reclaim it. However the guy running the competition had this to say about the 3 year term.
Quote: "The units are preview units and can't actually be sold so the legal terms need to put a timespan on the "loan". The Ultrabooks will be sent to you and they are yours for 3 years, after which time Intel may, and I emphasise the "may", ask for it back. You have a duty of care to look after the unit, and you can't sell it, but if the unit comes to an untimely demise then I doubt you're going to get a knock on your door. I can't speak for Intel legal, but to me this timespan is beyond the effective useful lifespan of the unit anyway.

It all comes down to a discussion we had on how we can help you guys get your apps built and tested properly, and so the crazy idea of shipping out real, actual test units came up and we thought "why not!". We figure that at the end of the comp, should you get your app in the AppStore, then the $1000 bonus prize is enough to get you your choice of one of the next gen Ultrabooks that will be commercially available at that point.

Or you can just keep the cash and run
cheers,
Chris Maunder"

Quote: "Just published my round 1 article. Cutting the deadline a bit close, but here's hoping, right?"

Good luck getting through to round 2!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 10:08
I just got a call from fedex, ill be getting the ultrabook before 12 today
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 11:28
Quote: "I just got a call from fedex, ill be getting the ultrabook before 12 today"

Cool, that's only about 4 days since you got confirmation right? That means I could get mine around the start of next week, awesome

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 11:35
If you look on the back of the UB, you'll see a sticker that says "Trade Secret of Intel". One way to stop unscrupulous recipients from selling their Trade Secret-badged UB not currently available in the marketplace for a ridiculously high price, is to loan it to you. If you don't own it, you can't sell it.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 13:02
Quote: "Cool, that's only about 4 days since you got confirmation right? That means I could get mine around the start of next week, awesome "

I got the confirmation between friday and saturday, so there has been a weekend in between. But not counting that it has been 4 days
Zeerun
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 16:15
Quote: "Cool, that's only about 4 days since you got confirmation right? That means I could get mine around the start of next week, awesome "

Mine arrived on the 7th day from getting my confirmation email

Wonder how many of the remaining 98 according to the website get allocated today...

I seek perfection but wear my scars with pride
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If you look on the back of the UB, you'll see a sticker that says "Trade Secret of Intel". One way to stop unscrupulous recipients from selling their Trade Secret-badged UB not currently available in the marketplace for a ridiculously high price, is to loan it to you. If you don't own it, you can't sell it."

if intel are not going to reclaim the ub as everyone is saying, there is no stopping anyone from removing the stickers and selling on ebay for $1000 once these come out
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 18:21 Edited at: 24th Oct 2012 18:24
Quote: "there is no stopping anyone from removing the stickers and selling on ebay for $1000 once these come out "

I see the 3 year loan period as nothing more than a clever deterrent. It puts people off selling the device as they 'may' ask for it back. In reality though, you're probably right...

EDIT: Far too many typos for my liking...
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 18:38
And, they dont have to pay any taxes for it either. (I assume)
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 21:29
Got my confirmation email yesterday, got my shipping confirmation this afternoon and according from FedEx, the lovely bit of kit will be in my sweaty palms by Friday! Looks like they're being shipped out of Germany, but that could be just for us Europeans.

Frantically writing my app now - got a long way to go yet!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 14:08 Edited at: 25th Oct 2012 14:09
My Ultrabook just arrived no warning from FedEx, it just turned up!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 16:29
Im pretty sure you cant post pictures of it...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 16:37
Quote: "Im pretty sure you cant post pictures of it... "

Bax is safe
They have posted images of it them self.
We are not allowed to post benchmarks or specification about it.
Or post videos to demostrate performance or functionallity.

If i remember it right?

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 16:40
Sounds resonable
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 16:43
Cliff's right, don't worry. I checked the IPLA

Lavaflyer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 00:34
This may be a stupid question, but I just got my ultrabook and am a little unclear on it. Does the screen pop off somehow so it's more like a tablet? It seems like it may pop off but I really don't want to break it the first day. Thanks!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 01:57 Edited at: 26th Oct 2012 02:07
Quote: "Does the screen pop off somehow so it's more like a tablet?"

Probably not. I'm not quite sure why you'd want to pick up little computer with a keyboard and wave it around. It's an obvious thing for tablets. GPS? - I can see reasons for that. Fast? okay - that's obvious and could apply to anything.

We got turned down, probably because the education field is too boring, but probably also because I can't think what the great "features" we have to showcase are, apart from being quite thin and having a > 5 hours battery life (maybe!)

Microsoft may have got it right, as Surface surfaces today. It's a tablet and not a tablet. You can wave the screen about, and you can also connect the keyboard to do work. I can understand that concept.

Leave the screen on. You have just realised how ludicrous this is!

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Lavaflyer No it doesnt pop off! If you try to poop it off it will break. I dont know why you think it can as the screens very thin, and all of its internals are clearly in the main (keyboard) section of the UltraBook.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Probably not. I'm not quite sure why you'd want to pick up little computer with a keyboard and wave it around. It's an obvious thing for tablets. GPS? - I can see reasons for that. Fast? okay - that's obvious and could apply to anything."

I kind of expected the screen on the Ultrabook to swivel 180' and fold down on top of the keyboard to create a more tablet-like experience. Using the accelerometer and gyrometer seems a bit awkward to me on a traditional laptop design. Perhaps some will support this.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 15:44:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 15:44:41