Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Win an UltraBook!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having all kinds of random issues with mine on the Ultrabook (and also feel like I have weeks of dev work to try and cram into the next day to get it submitted on time).

Most annoyingly, when I run the game fullscreen mode (which is what I have it set to by default) if I ever alt-tab out or hit the Windows key on the Ultrabook it immediately crashes ("app has stopped working"). Compiled using the latest Beta 3 and Sensor compiler packages (Tier 1). There may be other random crashes as well that I can't pinpoint.

Finally, when I had tested it earlier yesterday the GetPointerPressed() could not detect taps with the touchscreen unless you moved so many pixels while your finger was down. However, randomly it seems tap detection has started to work properly without having to use the actual touch sensor commands. I don't know why this is since I've used the same compiler and settings for a long time, this started working before I even downloaded the latest compiler Lee uploaded. Should I be concerned that this is some fluke that likely won't actually work on other devices (I've seen a lot of complicated solutions to detecting touch clicks so this just seems bizarre it'd randomly be working).

Also my game has an online score system, but it seems that GetInternetState() always returns 1 even if there is no active Internet connection such as if they block the connection through their firewall (tested on Windows 7 and 8). So I basically always have to create the HTTP Connection and check for a response even if they don't have active Internet at all which can be quite a mess.

I feel like my app will be rejected for any number of reasons especially the crashing or if touch doesn't work for them as it does for me.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Xcept, GetPointerPressed() does NOT detect 1 tap touch unless you move your finger a little bit.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
^ That's why I'm so confused, because I know it shouldn't probably be working like it is. My game uses GetPointerPressed() exclusively to check for menu clicks etc. and I am now able to simply tap with the touch screen and instantly it switches to the proper action or whatever else it would do if you were to left-click it (without having to move your finger at all). I can't explain it because I didn't change anything to cause this.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Xcept if you touch tap your finger, and rotate the finger a little bit left or right, it registers a tap. maybe you're doing this unconsciously?
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 19:38
I just finished submitting my app, hopefully I won't have any problems with validation
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
bjadams, maybe you are right. It just seems much more responsive than it was when I first tried. I still wish there was an official fix to this because trying to create a workaround seems like a pain.
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
good my game doesnt seem to crash anymore. After a bit more testing ill uploaded it to The Appup Store
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Scratch that its crashing when exiting again.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
mine is crashing on minimize, but only on win8! on win7 all works. i have to remove the minimize button
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I have also found that when NOT using full screen minimizing the window makes all animated sprites ( as far as I can tell, non animated sprites work just fine ) disappear and then the FPS will quickly begin to decrease. For now, using fullscreen = 1 in the setup.agc seems to have fixed the issue.

This happens on both Windows 7 and Windows 8

Sean

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 22:42 Edited at: 20th Nov 2012 22:42
Ok now PlaySprite on some sprites is causing the game to crash on exit.
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 22:58
I'm pretty much resigned to missing this one.

I was late to the party, just scraping into stage 1 at the 11th hour - was still coding the entry on the deadline day.

Then got some (paying) work which slurped up most of my weekdays.

My System HDD gave up, nothing was lost except a weekend rebuilding.

But as Bax said in the other thread - At least I got the Ultrabook and a taste of Windows 8.

I'll continue to develop the project, but think rushing now will
a) still not have it ready in time
b) result in an inferior product
c) start to impact my other work

As a community, I think we've done pretty well out of this so far, I'd be thrilled if some of us scooped up some cash prizes too.

SO the very best of luck to the rest of you for round 2.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 23:11
Don't forget to submit it soon, so you get to keep the UltraBook.

Quote: "As a community, I think we've done pretty well out of this so far, I'd be thrilled if some of us scooped up some cash prizes too."

Agreed, there have been some ups and downs, but over $14,000 in Ultrabooks already is a nice scoop That's the price of 238 copies of AppGameKit!

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
This is getting beyond a joke. Im having to turn off some of the games animations, and rewrite the games GUI to stop the game crashing when it exits! No offence to the TGC guys but what could you guys have done to the compiler between 107 and 108 that broke simple things like arrays, global variable deceleration's, and sprite animation calls?
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 23:23
Hey guys. My app just got rejected by Intel because on Windows 7 & 8 32 bit machines, it's causing a "Vertex shader failed to compile at line 0" error. Any thoughts? If not, I'll just resubmit for 64 bit only but it would be nice to fix it properly.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I was rejected too, because they tested it on some Dell PC with probably no ogl drivers, so they got no artwork visible!

I thought that if you put ultrabook & windows 8 as minimum requirement, they won't test it on win7 and some old Dell pc!

I think I'm out too
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 23:36
Anyone (Tier 1) who wants to send me a copy of their app to see if I can help with these crashing issues is welcome to email me. I'll take a look in my own time and see if I can sort things out. If I find specific bugs I can at least pass them on and hopefully they will get sorted out in time but I'm not promising anything!

I'll do what I can to help and I'm pretty good at finding the source of Tier 1 bugs these days.

Lucas I haven't seen that error before but send me a copy?

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I was rejected too, because they tested it on some Dell PC with probably no ogl drivers, so they got no artwork visible!

I thought that if you put ultrabook & windows 8 as minimum requirement, they won't test it on win7 and some old Dell pc!"

You're kidding me. How can that be allowed?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
windows 8 tests passed.

i failed windows 7 tests! i developed my project on windows 7 and it works better on win7 than on win8 yet it failed their verification tests!!!!

this was the last straw! intel is being much more fidgety than apple!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 00:35
Let's face it - this whole thing is about Intel's desperation that sales of its processors are diving.

What were the failure criteria on W7?

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 00:51
Quote: "Vertex shader failed to compile at line 0"

Mine has failed with the same issue on Eee PC 1005 PE and Eee PC 1015 PEM machines.

Resubmitting for Ultrabook ONLY...

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 01:23
If I compile on Windows 8 ultrabook then my vista machine throws:

"Entry Point Not Found - The procedure entry point CloseTouchInputHandle could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll"

If I compile on my vista machine it works on both machines but the inclinometer can not be detected on the ultrabook any-more.

Is this normal? I know we don't have XP support and now it seems we can't run on vista or win7 either(from posts above).

This is a problem since the window to get your app noticed seems to be at the beginning, more so since intel said they will promote all competition entries. Adding support for different OS later may be too late.

Anyone who has been rejected should resubmit now with ultrabook only, there is plenty of time, it must be in the store by 1st December.

I think it was cliff who succeeded since he selected ultrabook only by mistake, what a good mistake that turned out to be

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 01:37 Edited at: 21st Nov 2012 03:05
Sorry for double post, I need to reference some of the above names and posts.

@Lucas Tiridath - Did your app pass the win7 64 bit test?
@bjadams - is your machine win7 64 bit? Do you know if it failed win7 64 and win7 32?

It seems we may be able to select win7 64bit and win8 64 bit. If no one replies in time I will submit mine with these settings, if it passes then everyone can do the same.

Edit: Submitted, just selected win7 and win8 64 bit, ultrabook only. I'll let you know how I get on, thanks for all the extra information you have provided.

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive submitted my game. It will still crash when closing If I do a certain combination of menus but Ive had enough of Beta3! Basically what was happening was when PlaySprite or SetSpriteFrame was used with a certain sprite the game would crash on exit. Removing those calls would stop the crash but it would happen again when another sprite called either of those commands (even though that sprite was fine before removing the first sprites commands).

I cant wait to uninstall Beta 3, and get back to nice stable development porting my game to PlayBook and BB10 using good old AppGameKit 1065!
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 09:12
Quote: "@Lucas Tiridath - Did your app pass the win7 64 bit test?"

Yes, it passed on Win 7 & 8 64 bit but failed both on 32 bit.

Quote: "Mine has failed with the same issue on Eee PC 1005 PE and Eee PC 1015 PEM machines.

Resubmitting for Ultrabook ONLY..."

Ah ha. Well I think I'll follow your lead then!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Mine failed on Windows 7, there was no 32bit specified, but i suppose it's 32bit

on windows 7 64 bit and windows 8 (32 bit not specified) and win8 64 bit it was ok.

funny thing is i only selected windows8 and ultrabook so i have no idea why they tested on other configs!

still i have problems with the 1 tap touch and pressing the windows key and causing a crash!

i bet it will fail on these tests too!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
So if you fail a test on a specific platform, they don't approve the app for for any of the platforms and make you resubmit?
Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, my app MOON ROVER went through the verification process and was cleared tonight for the AppUp store!!!! It's not visible in the store yet, but I'm *happy*
Hope to win one of the cash prices.....
Thought that I needed to post some positive statement to motivate everybody to keep on coding and submitting!!! IT's POSSIBLE to place your AppGameKit app into the AppUp store!!!
I made the entry ONLY FOR WIN8 AND ULTRABOOK! NO OTHER SYSTEM!
Here is my link to the codeproject contest article: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/472527/Moon-Rover
I still need to upload a video of the final gameplay...

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 13:28
That looks fantastic! Well done.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 14:19
Quote: "Hi guys, my app MOON ROVER went through the verification process and was cleared tonight for the AppUp store"

Excellent news!

Quote: "It's not visible in the store yet, but I'm *happy*...I made the entry ONLY FOR WIN8 AND ULTRABOOK"

You will only be able to see it on a Windows 8 Ultrabook in the store once it is available. I noticed this when I tried to view one of my apps on a 64-bit Windows PC, when I had only published for x86

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 17:57
Congrats spece dream studios
Dont forget to check the store with your ultrabook and take a screenshot to send codeproject to go thru to the second round.
I used print screen and pasted it in to paint with ctrl+v.
then moved it with an usb flash to my ordinary computer.
And sent it in.
And wath i know so is there still a few 1000 $ prizes left.

But no one will know until early december on wath prizes they got
Atleast wath they wrote me.

Like space dream studios write so submitt your app as ultrabook win 8 64 bit only to get it up fast.

My game went straight thru validation on to the store like this also.

Ok batvink! this means that 47 spots left for agk users to grabb for the final round
Looks like agk will do well in the competition

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 22:52
Grats Space Dream and all the other AppGameKit users that entered. I sent my app in for validation so hopefully it'll get through on time. I wish I could have worked on it more but I already have a full time job and family. This will be the fist app I ever published and I've been lurking around here since I got Dark basic back in 2004. heh

Good luck to everyone...

Auger
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 00:33
My first game says Being Validated, but it has a test page saying "Passed" with a message "We are pleased to inform you that your application has passed binary validation", I hope this is final

Now to finish submitting game number 2 before the deadline - 27 UK minutes to go

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
We officially have until 11:59 PM EST according to Chris from Code Project According to my calculations this gives me at least four more hours to try and rush complete my project.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 01:58
It's all complete for me, all I need to do now is sleep

Thank you to Mr_d, Cliff, Paul, Lee and TGC, and everyone else who helped to make this happen

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 10:48
I'm still waiting for my second attempt at validation but I was told this morning that there are still 25 $1000 prizes left (going quickly now) so keep trying guys!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 11:40
Also make sure you've read this page, in case you never drilled down far enough...

http://www.codeproject.com/script/Awards/Conditions.aspx?cid=598

I have clarified one thing with Chris Maunder, the acceptance by November 21st is not correct, only submission is required by this date.

Quote: "Articles and all proofs of submission and acceptance to Intel AppUp must be received no later than November 21, 2012 11:59:59 PM US Eastern Standard Time for contestants to be eligible to win an Application Success Award, a Category Prize, or the Grand Prize."

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 11:54
How do you send proof of submission Batvink?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 12:01
For the one that is approved it is simple, you get a PDF of the test pass to email.

For the one that is only submitted, I sent a screenshot of the Intel Dashboard "App submitted for Validation" message. Because I'd asked the question above, Chris replied with "You are good to go". I would submit this, but I don't think you need to expect a reply.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 13:00
Quote: "I would prefer AppGameKit not crash, even if the user makes a mistake so it's a bug in my book. And a quick check shows that calling ResumeSprite without PlaySprite would use a default value of 0 for a particular parameter that would cause an infinite loop. It now throws an error and uses a sensible default value so it can continue if error messages are set to ignored. "

So Paul, are you saying this is now fixed for the next release? Or do you still want me to raise an issue on the bug board?
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 13:31
Wait, do you need to send proof that you have submitted the apps to, not just proof that they are validated when they are?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
the 21 November was only a guideline date.

The only real deadline is that your app must be approved and showing in the appup store by 1 december.

On 1 december they will start looking at the entries and do the judging.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 13:49
good, that's what I thought, but the posts before me confused me a bit
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 15:17 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2012 15:19
I just found something else... If you go to your Article on CodeProject, at the very top you should see the below comment which also contains a link:

Quote: "Round 1 winner: Ultrabook Shipped. Register AppStore Submission"

Clicking 'Register AppStore Submission' enables you to link your article to your AppUp Submission.

EDIT: I think it says 'optional' for Intel AppUp, but probably worth doing it anyway...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 16:40
Wow that's tiny!

Interestingly mine says Ultrabook shipped, but I didn't get an Ultrabook from this competition, I already had one from a previous compo.

I'm working on this for now as I don't have the full details yet...

Quote: "This step is mandatory for Windows Store (formerly "Metro" apps) and optional for AppUp store submissions."

Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 04:35 Edited at: 24th Nov 2012 05:11
Well Codeprojects.com shows 0 remaining prizes left for the second round. My app is still in testing (day 3) so I guess I'm out...I'm pretty sure I'll fail though since I had put in win 8/7 32 bit and I read people were having problems with that.

Plus after reading the Intel validation guidelines I don't think they accept Apps with ads. Although I now know where Intel is testing our apps because I've been getting ad hits from India the last couple days.

I'm hoping they get done with testing soon so I can still maybe have a shot at the other prizes.

Auger
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Plus after reading the Intel validation guidelines I don't think they accept Apps with ads."

I hope that's not the case. I do believe BatVink's game "Pile 'Em Up", which is on the AppUp store, has ads.

Sean

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 09:09
Quote: "I hope that's not the case. I do believe BatVink's game "Pile 'Em Up", which is on the AppUp store, has ads."

Yes it does have ads, and it was never questioned by Intel. That was over a year ago though, and I recall that at the time they were talking about free apps eventually having to use their Mojiva ad channel.

Maybe the answer is somewhere in here.

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
My game Zombie Hangover 82 has passed validation! Though I had to strip out some animations for the game to be stable using 1083 BETA.
I don't think I'll be one getting the $1000, but I hope I'm in with a chance to win one of the other cash prizes. It has 3 control schemes keyboard and trackpad, touchscreen, and game controller. Plus it uses some tilt controls too.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2012 12:06
Well done!!!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 12:59:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 12:59:46